DSC_3661.JPG
017-805.JPG
016.JPG
018.JPG
019.JPG
001.JPG
009-9.JPG
008-360.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mcclad.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

I am in the process of working on a BSD and as I was looking at the molded pieces, I realized how much I hated them. I mean, I really hated them. I know that the detail and paint job is not great because they were mass produced and not supposed to be works of art, but that does not mean that I couldn't change them. I normally do not mod a machine unless it is can be completely reversed. I always want to be able to change things back to the way they were originally. The paint job that I put on them will wash off and even if I couldn't, these pices are readily available so I feel there is no harm done as I could always buy a new set if I needed to. The detail in the pieces is not all that great but with a new paint job it does bring out some detail in the parts. I tried to stay fairly true to the original colors so the parts would not look too out of place. I did want a weathered stone look for the castle and wanted to change that greenish gray color. My graveyard was horribly painted and I tried to make it a little more realistic. I am working on the village piece and will post pics of my work. I will post pictures of what I started with and what I finished doing. Comments both good and bad will be appreciated. (If you hate them, say so. I will not be offended.)

#2 10 years ago

Original paint.008.JPG008.JPG017.JPG017.JPG009.JPG009.JPG

#3 10 years ago

My work.015.JPG015.JPG006-465.JPG006-465.JPG

#5 10 years ago

Some more.005-576.JPG005-576.JPG008-360.JPG008-360.JPG

#7 10 years ago

one more for now.009-9.JPG009-9.JPG

#9 10 years ago

I also got some powder coating done on my wireforms. I can't seem to get a good picture of them though.001.JPG001.JPG

#25 10 years ago

Pictures of the village.019.JPG019.JPG018.JPG018.JPG

#26 10 years ago

Couple more of the village.016.JPG016.JPG017-805.JPG017-805.JPG

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from tricky4815:

Looks like you used a drybrushing technique.

Yes. Lots and lots of drybrushing.

// Error: Image 221109 not found // // Error: Image 221110 not found //
#29 10 years ago

If anyone was interested, yes I would be willing to paint their parts as well. I work at my day job to support my family. I would not plan on making a living painting graveyards. In other words, I would be willing to grab my airbrush and my paintbrushes and make a little extra money. I would not charge an arm and a leg to do so. If this is something that pinsiders would want done, there are some things to consider. I usually mix custom colors with the exception of black and white. I will not be able to get colors exactly like mine came out. (but they would be extremely close.) I could seal the paint with a clear but then it would be a permanant finish. I would be open to ideas if someone would want different colors used. I could even add moss as foliage in the graveyard. Or snow on the castle and rocks. Just make sure that you know what you are getting into because your parts would be altered and it could decrease the value of your machine because it would no longer be original. I would try very hard to do an even better job if the work was for someone else. I did mine as quickly as possible. So hopefully what you see in the pictures would not be as good as what you would get.

#36 10 years ago

Thanks for all the kind words. All PMs replied to.

1 week later
#41 9 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I just received my pieces back from mcclad and they look incredible. I mean this in all seriousness, Roland, people like you piss me off. Because you can do this shit and I can't!!
Thanks a million!! I see a set of BSD plastics in your future.

You are welcome a million. Glad that you are happy with them.

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

Hmm, I sent a Pm a week or two ago about wanting to get mine done as well. Any info I can get on how to get mine done would be extremely appreciated.

I am so sorry. For some reason I missed your PM but replied to everyone else. PM replied to. My apologies.

Roland

#46 9 years ago

I have been getting quite a few PM's about having some custom paint done for the BSD castle, village and graveyard pieces. I figured I would answer quite a few questions in one shot by posting some info on this original thread. For starters, I am a hobbyist. I am not a professional painter. I am completely self taught. (So I had a fool for a teacher.LOL) I paint mostly for fun. I wish that I could do free paint jobs for people but I do enjoy spending time with my family and a lot of my time goes to them. Once the cost of materials come into play, plus quite a few hours of work, I need to charge something. The first few people that contacted me had made offers. I will not get into who offered what because I respect people's privacy. I personally felt that the offers were to high. (Yes, I was actually turning down money.) Trying to be fair, I based my price quote on what I was offered. I felt that a fair price was $75 plus the cost of return shipping. I was not basing this on what others paint figures, or toppers, or other playfield pieces on. Although I would be willing to do these as well, I was basing my price on what some pinsiders were willing to pay for my work and the way I painted these parts. The turnaround time would be three days. At least one two paint, another to make sure that everything is fully dry before repackaging for the return trip, and one more day to allow if something holds up the finishing process. I use Tamiya Acrylic paints and they are non toxic. The detail is painted on with a variety of paintbrushes and my Omni 2000 airbrush. I am open to some color suggestions as well. It would be much easier for me to use the same colors on all the parts all the time, but if someone wanted darker, brighter, more colorful colors I could probably do that as well. If someone wanted to pay a little extra I coud add some 3D snow or moss in the graveyard. (I really want to do this to see how it would turn out.) I do not want to take on too much work but I do not want to turn anyone away either. If this is something that people would be interested in I would have a few requests. If you are packaging the parts please stuff the village and the catle with packing material. Bubble wrap, packing peanuts, or even plastic bags or newspaper. That will prevent warping of the parts during shipping. If you want me to use FedEX, the United States Postal Service for the return shipping, please specify. It would also help to let me know that you are mailing out the parts so that I can look ot for the packages. I would be willing to take paypal or a money order as a payment. I could also take a personal check but would like to make sure that it clears first. This may delay turnaround time. Once you receive the final product, please let me know that they arrived safe and sound. If there are others on here who would want to paint BSD parts as well, I do not see this as competition, just one big community where people work together to get the most enjoyment out of their machines and I would wish all parties concerned the best of luck. Hope this answers some questions and if anyone has any others as well, please do not hesitate to ask. Comments both negative and positive to this post will be appreciated. Thanks for reading.

P.S. I always wanted to paint Monster Bash figures. Hint. Hint.

Roland
Mcclad

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from ulmpharmd:

Hey Ronald,I sent you a pm and just need your address....

Pm replied to.

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from rottenrobert1313:

Amazing!!!!! Do you have yours back in your game? If so, how about some pics? I'd love to see them installed.

I will do that now and get them up soon.

1 month later
#74 9 years ago

I have always wanted to paint the MB figures. I would definetly be interested in doing a set.

1 month later
#89 9 years ago

Thanks to everyone that posted some kind words on this thread. And thanks to everyone who gave me the chance to do some custom work for their machine. I think that I have replied to all the PMs. If I didn't, I apologize and plese send me another one that way I can make sure to contact everyone who is interested in having some work done. I have been very busy lately. I am currently working on a project that might make some screen time in a feature film. I do not want to say much on the project because I do not know if all this will be accepted by the production company, but I have been putting a lot of time and effort into it. I will be busy for at least the next full week. Hopefully I will have time after that to do some more paintjobs. And I would be willing to paint IJ parts as well. Thanks once again.

Roland

2 months later
#99 9 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

mccladd your work is awesome it inspired me to tackle mine here is the village sorry the second pic is upside-down i went for a little more color than realism.

photo.JPG 190 KB
photo-1.JPG 268 KB

Modding is great because an owner can do what he wants according to his or her own taste. Once someone picks up that brush, it is time for their artistic juices to start flowing. I sure that there was more satisfaction in doing your own thing, than having someone do it for you. Well done. It looks great.

#103 9 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

i'm inspired !
here's little pieces that have horrible original paint on them.was thinking of repainting and putting into TAF.

taf-toys-1.jpg 125 KB

Oh man, I would love to get my hands on those and paint them. Please post pictures of them when you are done. I would like to see how they come out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 84.99
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 5.00
€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

9,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mcclad.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-custom-painted-bsd-graveyard-castle?tu=mcclad and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.