Topic Stats

• 103 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by mcclad
  • Topic is favorited by 36 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 22 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

taf-toys-1.jpg
photo-1.JPG
photo.JPG
image-212.jpg
image-835.jpg
image-620.jpg
DSC_3668.JPG
DSC_3662.JPG
DSC_3661.JPG
017-805.JPG
016.JPG
018.JPG
019.JPG
001.JPG
009-9.JPG
008-360.JPG

There are 103 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 5 years ago

I am in the process of working on a BSD and as I was looking at the molded pieces, I realized how much I hated them. I mean, I really hated them. I know that the detail and paint job is not great because they were mass produced and not supposed to be works of art, but that does not mean that I couldn't change them. I normally do not mod a machine unless it is can be completely reversed. I always want to be able to change things back to the way they were originally. The paint job that I put on them will wash off and even if I couldn't, these pices are readily available so I feel there is no harm done as I could always buy a new set if I needed to. The detail in the pieces is not all that great but with a new paint job it does bring out some detail in the parts. I tried to stay fairly true to the original colors so the parts would not look too out of place. I did want a weathered stone look for the castle and wanted to change that greenish gray color. My graveyard was horribly painted and I tried to make it a little more realistic. I am working on the village piece and will post pics of my work. I will post pictures of what I started with and what I finished doing. Comments both good and bad will be appreciated. (If you hate them, say so. I will not be offended.)

#2 5 years ago

Original paint.008.JPG017.JPG009.JPG

#3 5 years ago

My work.015.JPG006-465.JPG

#4 5 years ago

Going to do this to mind when I restore it soon...will make a huge difference in my opinion! Let's see some pics!

#5 5 years ago

Some more.005-576.JPG008-360.JPG

#6 5 years ago

Very, very nice!

That game is going to explode now.

#7 5 years ago

one more for now.009-9.JPG

#8 5 years ago

Very realistic and not overdone. You do good work.

#9 5 years ago

I also got some powder coating done on my wireforms. I can't seem to get a good picture of them though.001.JPG

#10 5 years ago

That's the ticket!

#11 5 years ago

Wow! That looks fantastic. Would you be willing to paint mine? Pretty please?! I'd pay you of course.

Are you going to repaint the houses too?

#12 5 years ago

Nice work! Those molded pieces look great.

#13 5 years ago

Those look great. Amazing attention to detail.

#14 5 years ago

I agree, awesome work. Wish I had the talent to do that myself.

#15 5 years ago

looks great!!!!! can't wait to see some pics when it's all back together. joe

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from mcclad:

If you hate them, say so. I will not be offended.

I'll mock anyone mercilessly who thinks your paint job isn't a massive upgrade!

#17 5 years ago

Very well done. I would also be interested in having mine done, if you'd be willing.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'll mock anyone mercilessly who thinks your paint job isn't a massive upgrade!

Lol! Yeah exactly. Superb job!

#19 5 years ago

Looks like you used a drybrushing technique.

#20 5 years ago

And you gave a great idea as well. I'll take mine out and do the same.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from tricky4815:

Yep seems like it. I'll be doing that as well. Great technique for something like this.

#22 5 years ago

Fantastic........Well done!!!

#23 5 years ago

Really nice work! A massive upgrade there.

#24 5 years ago

All of those paint jobs are amazing, you do very nice work!

#25 5 years ago

Pictures of the village.019.JPG018.JPG

#26 5 years ago

Couple more of the village.016.JPG017-805.JPG

#27 5 years ago

Those are awesome great job I want I want

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from tricky4815:

Yes. Lots and lots of drybrushing.

// Error: Image 221109 not found // // Error: Image 221110 not found //
#29 5 years ago

If anyone was interested, yes I would be willing to paint their parts as well. I work at my day job to support my family. I would not plan on making a living painting graveyards. In other words, I would be willing to grab my airbrush and my paintbrushes and make a little extra money. I would not charge an arm and a leg to do so. If this is something that pinsiders would want done, there are some things to consider. I usually mix custom colors with the exception of black and white. I will not be able to get colors exactly like mine came out. (but they would be extremely close.) I could seal the paint with a clear but then it would be a permanant finish. I would be open to ideas if someone would want different colors used. I could even add moss as foliage in the graveyard. Or snow on the castle and rocks. Just make sure that you know what you are getting into because your parts would be altered and it could decrease the value of your machine because it would no longer be original. I would try very hard to do an even better job if the work was for someone else. I did mine as quickly as possible. So hopefully what you see in the pictures would not be as good as what you would get.

#30 5 years ago

Wow Mcclad, absolutely insane job!!!

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from mcclad:

and it could decrease the value of your machine because it would no longer be original.

Or increase

#32 5 years ago

When ever someone say 'custom painted' in their title I take a deep breath before I click. 9 times out of 10 it looks terrible and ruins the feel of the game. This would be that 1 time when it turned out amazing. I like the way you subtly brought out the plastic details and used a similar color palette to that of the originals. Excellent work !

#33 5 years ago

Wow, looks amazing! Really nice job, mcclad. I'm generally not one for mods, but If I had a BSD I would send you the parts immediately - really nice of you to offer to paint others'!

#34 5 years ago

Amazing work, well done!

#35 5 years ago

Man that looks awesome! If you get a chance put up some pics of them installed.

#36 5 years ago

Thanks for all the kind words. All PMs replied to.

#37 5 years ago

Pm sent!

#38 5 years ago

Those look great, you do very good work.

1 week later
#39 5 years ago

I just received my pieces back from mcclad and they look incredible. I mean this in all seriousness, Roland, people like you piss me off. Because you can do this shit and I can't!!

Thanks a million!! I see a set of BSD plastics in your future.

#40 5 years ago

wow, fast too! I really need to win the lottery so I have money for this kind of thing...

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I just received my pieces back from mcclad and they look incredible. I mean this in all seriousness, Roland, people like you piss me off. Because you can do this shit and I can't!!
Thanks a million!! I see a set of BSD plastics in your future.

You are welcome a million. Glad that you are happy with them.

#42 5 years ago

#43 5 years ago

Hmm, I sent a Pm a week or two ago about wanting to get mine done as well. Any info I can get on how to get mine done would be extremely appreciated.

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead87:

Hmm, I sent a Pm a week or two ago about wanting to get mine done as well. Any info I can get on how to get mine done would be extremely appreciated.

I am so sorry. For some reason I missed your PM but replied to everyone else. PM replied to. My apologies.

Roland

#45 5 years ago

My guess is you will be turning away work soon

I hope the artist that made the molds for those plastics sees this post, I'm sure he would love to see them painted the right way, his plastics really are amazingly detailed. I never would have know it with the Williams 30 second paint job.

Nicely detailed base plastics + incredible paint job = pure awesomeness.

#46 5 years ago

I have been getting quite a few PM's about having some custom paint done for the BSD castle, village and graveyard pieces. I figured I would answer quite a few questions in one shot by posting some info on this original thread. For starters, I am a hobbyist. I am not a professional painter. I am completely self taught. (So I had a fool for a teacher.LOL) I paint mostly for fun. I wish that I could do free paint jobs for people but I do enjoy spending time with my family and a lot of my time goes to them. Once the cost of materials come into play, plus quite a few hours of work, I need to charge something. The first few people that contacted me had made offers. I will not get into who offered what because I respect people's privacy. I personally felt that the offers were to high. (Yes, I was actually turning down money.) Trying to be fair, I based my price quote on what I was offered. I felt that a fair price was $75 plus the cost of return shipping. I was not basing this on what others paint figures, or toppers, or other playfield pieces on. Although I would be willing to do these as well, I was basing my price on what some pinsiders were willing to pay for my work and the way I painted these parts. The turnaround time would be three days. At least one two paint, another to make sure that everything is fully dry before repackaging for the return trip, and one more day to allow if something holds up the finishing process. I use Tamiya Acrylic paints and they are non toxic. The detail is painted on with a variety of paintbrushes and my Omni 2000 airbrush. I am open to some color suggestions as well. It would be much easier for me to use the same colors on all the parts all the time, but if someone wanted darker, brighter, more colorful colors I could probably do that as well. If someone wanted to pay a little extra I coud add some 3D snow or moss in the graveyard. (I really want to do this to see how it would turn out.) I do not want to take on too much work but I do not want to turn anyone away either. If this is something that people would be interested in I would have a few requests. If you are packaging the parts please stuff the village and the catle with packing material. Bubble wrap, packing peanuts, or even plastic bags or newspaper. That will prevent warping of the parts during shipping. If you want me to use FedEX, the United States Postal Service for the return shipping, please specify. It would also help to let me know that you are mailing out the parts so that I can look ot for the packages. I would be willing to take paypal or a money order as a payment. I could also take a personal check but would like to make sure that it clears first. This may delay turnaround time. Once you receive the final product, please let me know that they arrived safe and sound. If there are others on here who would want to paint BSD parts as well, I do not see this as competition, just one big community where people work together to get the most enjoyment out of their machines and I would wish all parties concerned the best of luck. Hope this answers some questions and if anyone has any others as well, please do not hesitate to ask. Comments both negative and positive to this post will be appreciated. Thanks for reading.

P.S. I always wanted to paint Monster Bash figures. Hint. Hint.

Roland
Mcclad

#47 5 years ago

Hey Ronald,
I sent you a pm and just need your address....

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from ulmpharmd:

Hey Ronald,I sent you a pm and just need your address....

Pm replied to.

#49 5 years ago

Amazing!!!!! Do you have yours back in your game? If so, how about some pics? I'd love to see them installed.

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from rottenrobert1313:

Amazing!!!!! Do you have yours back in your game? If so, how about some pics? I'd love to see them installed.

I will do that now and get them up soon.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Trade
Sale Pending!
Lafayette, IN
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
There are 103 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside