Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by poppapin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Gottlieb1_(resized).JPG
    Gottlieb_Lit_(resized).JPG
    Zippo_(resized).jpg
    Zippo_Lit.jpg_(resized).jpg
    Gottlieb_clock_art_(resized).jpg
    Miller_Lite_(resized).jpg
    #1 8 years ago

I've had a hankering for a Gottlieb clock for a long time now. A friend was doing 20" custom and factory neon clocks ten years ago but I couldn't decide what design I wanted to do and really didn't have the discretionary income.

A few years ago I came across an inexpensive 20" Miller Lite neon clock and I have my core clock.

Miller_Lite_(resized).jpgMiller_Lite_(resized).jpg

#2 8 years ago

A couple of weeks ago I have some time to start this and posted on the general Pinside pinball looking for advice on what art to use and if anyone could help with preparing a file. Jibmums suggested one of the Gottlieb coin door sticker images from the 70's/80's. The Gottlieb globe image started to sink in.

I then reached out to Tim Peterson to help me clean up this art into an image I could use. Big thanks, Tim. Here is the image on the clock face.

Gottlieb_clock_art_(resized).jpgGottlieb_clock_art_(resized).jpg

#3 8 years ago

The Miller Lite clock has a blue colored shell and I was getting ready to paint it black to match the face design I created but felt it was going to be a tough job sanding the ribbed shell adequately enough for the paint to adhere well. I decided to look at ebay to see if there was an affordable black shelled 20" neon clock instead of using the Miller Lite clock and found this Zippo clock.

A bonus to the Zippo clock is it has red deco art ringing the perimeter of the glass which really drew me in. I bought the clock and started assembling the final product out of the Zippo clock. One change I made was using the white neon from the Miller Lite clock instead of the red/orange neon that came with the Zippo clock. I'll put that red/orange neon in the Miller Lite clock.

Zippo_Lit.jpg_(resized).jpgZippo_Lit.jpg_(resized).jpg
    Zippo_(resized).jpgZippo_(resized).jpg

#4 8 years ago

Here are pictures of the finished product. The clock lit up looks better than the pictures show. It is not as dark/shadowed like the picture shows

Gottlieb_Lit_(resized).JPGGottlieb_Lit_(resized).JPG
    Gottlieb1_(resized).JPGGottlieb1_(resized).JPG

#5 8 years ago

That looks sweet! Nice job!
    Joe

#6 8 years ago

Cool Clock Mike! I'll make sure to put my order in with you when I get some $$.

Ken

#7 8 years ago

Nice clock Mike.

Ted

#8 8 years ago

That is supremely cool

#9 8 years ago

I'd be proud to hang that in my game room - nice job.

#10 8 years ago

Fantastic!

#11 8 years ago

Thanks for all the positive comments guys. It has been something I've been wanting to do for a long time and I'm very happy with the results.

#12 8 years ago

Nice! Pretty cool idea.

#13 8 years ago

Cudos! Very nice!

#14 8 years ago

Awesome! Beat's the $20 Gottlieb clock I bought online last year by a mile. Would love a neon one like that.

#15 8 years ago

That's sweet!! I'd definitely buy one of those.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-custom-gottlieb-clock and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.