Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 397 posts
  • 79 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Tsskinne
  • Topic is favorited by 107 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0086 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0088 (resized).JPG
    autoRefresh (resized).png
    Screenshot_2017-09-14-12-22-22 (resized).png
    Centaur Background (resized).png
    Centaur (resized).png
    20170912_213300 (resized).jpg
    20170912_213943 (resized).jpg
    Shadow Background (resized).png
    Size Test (resized).png
    Screenshot_2017-09-11-21-22-38 (resized).png
    Screenshot_2017-09-11-21-22-47 (resized).png
    Capture4 (resized).PNG
    Joust (resized).png
    Joust Background (resized).png
    dummy games (resized).jpg
    There are 397 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.
    #1 6 years ago

I love having people over to play pinball, but I always feel like pinball would be more addictive with a way to track one's own personal bests. the games themselves of course have various leaderboards, but unless i reset them all the time, visitors are unlikely to make any of the high scores, and even then, those high score lists aren't particularly visible or persistent.

So, I spent an evening a few weeks back putting together a high score app for my gameroom, so that anyone who visits can record any score they're proud of, and maybe try to beat it next time they come over.

IMG_1112 (resized).JPGIMG_1112 (resized).JPG

IMG_1113 (resized).JPGIMG_1113 (resized).JPG

You just tap a game and it prompts you to enter your initials and your score. To update a score, you just tap on that score and enter a new score. It keeps one score per person and automatically sorts them highest to lowest. I admit it doesn't do much that a whiteboard and a dry erase marker couldn't do, but I think it looks cool and I had fun making it.

I really like how the font styling came out on each of them.

Last night I got to try it out on guests for the first time. I didn't know if they'd be interested in using it, but after just a little bit of encouragement, they really took to it and started recording all their scores and checking the app trying to beat each others' personal bests. They stuck around competing to record better and better scores until after 2am! Even my daughter played more pinball than I've ever seen her play before, excited to track and improve her scores.

It also prompted a lot more questions than usual about strategies and rules and so forth.

Overall, I'm pretty psyched about how successful this was at getting people to do more than play a couple balls and then wander away. I think something like this would be a great addition to any game room.

I'm currently running it on a 12" Surface Pro touchscreen on a stand on a table, but I'm considering putting it on a larger touchscreen monitor mounted on a wall.

#2 6 years ago

iPad Air 2 support please. I really like this idea, and the design looks nice. Well done. When can I get a copy? Is it easy to attach a backglass image to new games in the app?

IMG_2785 (resized).JPGIMG_2785 (resized).JPG

#3 6 years ago

That's freaking awesome!

#4 6 years ago

It would be awesome if it could display 6 games in landscape mode, or have the ability to scroll left and right through a larger collection.

I don't think you could sell an app with all the game pictures pre installed, but even allowing the user to add their own picture to any game name would be awesome. That way it could be used for any game in the room. You could add pictures for Skeeball, arcades, darts, pool; whatever you'd like to rank and keep track of.

#5 6 years ago

Awesome, super awesome idea

#6 6 years ago

Hmm, I suppose I could genericize it pretty easily, and make it work for either orientation. Glad to see there's some interest!

#7 6 years ago

This would be really great if I was cool enough where people wanted to come over and play my games.....Not everyone can be as cool as DaveH! Heck ever I cannot wait to go to his house and play his games!

#8 6 years ago

Okay, so I am making this generic and a lot more robust and configurable.

You can add your own game image, background image, and arbitrary CSS font styles for each game -- CSS styles is how I added the glow and shadow effects to some of those fonts.

Any arbitrary number of games can be added, and the screen will scroll horizontally if they don't all fit. There's a setting for whether or not to display the horizontal scrollbar, and a setting for how wide you want the columns to be, so it will work equally well in either portrait or landscape depending on how you configure it.

It works on touchscreens such as the iPad, or on a traditional computer with a mouse. In fact it should work on phones too for that matter, but I haven't tested that yet.

Vertically, each column scrolls independently.

I don't think I can include copyrighted graphics, so you'll have to provide your own images, but that's optional anyway -- If nothing is specified, it just displays the game name and default styles:

unstyled (resized).pngunstyled (resized).png

scroll (resized).pngscroll (resized).png

Oh, and obviously the name of the arcade is configurable too, and can be either a graphic or text.

Setup and configuration will require no knowledge of coding or software, other than the optional ability to upload a graphic for each game or use snippets of CSS to style the fonts.

#9 6 years ago

Another idea to consider is having a picture of the player with their initials under it. Date and time when high score was achieved. Then hook to a small projector from the ipad/phone to display on the wall behind all the pins?

-Dan

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

I admit it doesn't do much that a whiteboard and a dry erase marker couldn't do

I have a dry erase board and markers in my gameroom, and while I like the simplicity, there are a few problems.

1. Keeping the scores in order is a pain. Someone gets a score that beats one on the board, and you have to move everything down.
    2. The markers are always dried up.
    3. The writing on the board dries up, and it's difficult to erase. Plus, I'm trying to keep the adjacent scores intact.

I've thought about the digital approach a few times, but never got motivated enough to do it. I'd like to try yours. I'm not sure if it will work out, mostly because it will need to be on all the time, and I don't really want to just leave it on. I really like the idea, though.

#11 6 years ago

I might go low tech and do a chalk board.

leader board (resized).jpgleader board (resized).jpg

#12 6 years ago

I'm in. How hard would it be for you to port this to a Kindle? I only ask because you can pick one up for $50, as opposed to a pile of cash for a dedicated iPad.

I'm envisioning this as a wall mounted device powered with PoE for an always on kind of thing.

#13 6 years ago

Very cool!

#14 6 years ago

You mean a Fire 7? If so, that's kinda what I was thinking as well. I got one for my son for $33 on a lightning deal last year. I would just use WiFi if needed and a microUSB for power rather than PoE. 7" might be a bit small, though. Keep it clean, this is Pez's thread.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

You mean a Fire 7? If so, that's kinda what I was thinking as well.

Yes. I should have been more specific.

#16 6 years ago

Man, looks great! I'd love to put something like this up on location, on a decently sized wall-mounted touch-screen of some sort.

#17 6 years ago

You wouldn't have to worry about providing or even sourcing the backglass/translite images for each of the games. Most people's tablets/iPads already have cameras, they could just take a picture of it and place it in there themselves.

Copyrights infringement averted.

#18 6 years ago

This is great! Wow! I have a 46" touch screen in the game room for kids to play PC games but during pinball parties it would be cool to have this running. I'd love to try it out!

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from nerbflong:

This is great! Wow! I have a 46" touch screen in the game room for kids to play PC games but during pinball parties it would be cool to have this running. I'd love to try it out!

sweet! this is exactly what i was picturing when i started designing it!

#20 6 years ago

Super cool!

#21 6 years ago

Again thought about support for iPad? How are the fonts for STTNG sourced? Same with WOZ? App looks fantastic btw. Is it up in the Microsoft or google store?

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from Audioenslaved:

Again thought about support for iPad? How are the fonts for STTNG sourced? Same with WOZ? App looks fantastic btw. Is it up in the Microsoft or google store?

yeah, it works fine on iPad!

it just runs through the browser in full-screen mode, so any device with a browser and internet can run it, even one of those $100 stick PCs. it's just HTML and CSS (with a database and some code on the back end).

I originally just made it for myself, but now i'm getting it ready for mass consumption. today i'm working on the configuration screen so people don't have to muck around in the code to change stuff. Should be super easy to set up when i'm done.

#23 6 years ago

That is awesome! I have an original iPad sitting in my drawer in the basement that I could plug in and leave on the bar so people could check scores and such. Awesome idea, looks great, I cannot wait to try it out.

#24 6 years ago

Can multiple devices share a database? I guess what I'm wondering is if I had it on a screen that was not easily accessible, could I use my phone to make score updates?

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

Can multiple devices share a database? I guess what I'm wondering is if I had it on a screen that was not easily accessible, could I use my phone to make score updates?

yep, absolutely. they will have to log in to have the ability to change scores, though.

#26 6 years ago

I'm in for sure. This is a great idea.

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

they will have to log in to have the ability to change scores, though.

To lower the barrier to entry, it would be great if the screen could display a QR code which when scanned would lead to being logged in automatically and ready to submit/change scores.

#28 6 years ago

Nice work Pez! This might actually get my kids excited to play. Might. Ok probably not,...but nice work anyway!

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from oyvindmo:

To lower the barrier to entry, it would be great if the screen could display a QR code which when scanned would lead to being logged in automatically and ready to submit/change scores.

i should clarify -- the login aspect is just to keep different peoples' game rooms separated. once a screen is logged in, anyone can walk up to that screen and record a score for any game in that game room. it's not like every player needs their own login.

the idea is that it will be used amongst people who are friends, and won't be screwing with other peoples' scores or the app's settings. i mean if you trust someone enough to be in your basement and playing your games, i think it's reasonable to assume they won't be malicious towards your high score board.

#30 6 years ago

At this point:

IMG_9747 (resized).JPGIMG_9747 (resized).JPG

#31 6 years ago

Great idea. Would be awesome if you rotate your collection to keep the highscores you put on that machine. I would say I'm interested but I'm also thinking I might just try to make it myself since I wanted to make an app for a while now and this looks like a great starting project. Thanks for sharing

#32 6 years ago

Great solution, I look forward to trying it out!

#33 6 years ago

Wow. What a great idea. I love the idea of the large, mounted touchscreen TV to somehow run this. Would be killer at parties.

#34 6 years ago

I'd pay actual dollars for this.

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

the idea is that it will be used amongst people who are friends, and won't be screwing with other peoples' scores or the app's settings. i mean if you trust someone enough to be in your basement and playing your games, i think it's reasonable to assume they won't be malicious towards your high score board.

I agree, and I want to extend that trust to visitors in our public bar/arcade. What I was thinking for that kind of on-location use, was to save money on the setup by being able to use just a big regular screen on the wall. Big touchscreens are pretty expensive, and everyone has smartphones, so...

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

the login aspect is just to keep different peoples' game rooms separated

Does that imply that the back-end will run on a publicly accessible server? That would make it easier to set up, but it also requires that you have constant internet access. Not a big deal, I'm just curious. I've done just enough web development to know that I don't know what I'm doing with it.

#37 6 years ago

Very nice, Pez. And running on various sized screens allows for people to go as big (or small) as fits their room.

#38 6 years ago

Fantastic! Commenting here so I can follow along and hopefully download it myself soon.

#39 6 years ago

Great idea Pez!

I'd definitely consider buy a cheap dedicated tablet to run this in my gameroom.

Not only is this great for pinball, but it might be really helpful for someone who has a MAME or Arcade machine that doesn't store high scores. I have to use a spiral notebook & a pencil to track high scores on my pacman machine during parties, so your app would solve everything!

Looking forward to how this turns out

EDIT: It would also be nice if you could enter more than 3 characters for your name

#40 6 years ago

This would be awesome to have on location and have an HDMI going to a TV screen.

#41 6 years ago

Send me the code please! Great job PEZ!

#42 6 years ago

CuJo gives it "Two Paws Up!!!"

#43 6 years ago

This is a great idea. We may even use it to keep track of other games we play. Board games, cards, sports....

#44 6 years ago

Might be kind of fun to develop this as a Raspberry Pi image with a web server & mysql. Set it up as such that you could go to http://(some unique hostname) on the local network and it would show up in any browser.

RPi's are cheap. Then it'd just be "put this image on an SD card, setup your games, and go"

Hmmmmm...

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Might be kind of fun to develop this as a Raspberry Pi image with a web server & mysql. Set it up as such that you could go to http://(some unique hostname) on the local network and it would show up in any browser.
    RPi's are cheap. Then it'd just be "put this image on an SD card, setup your games, and go"
    Hmmmmm...

Beat me too it!

Pez, this idea is awesome, great stuff here!

#46 6 years ago

This would be awesome. And on league night keeping track and posting those scores would be cool as well!

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Hmmmmm...

This would be cool.

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Hmmmmm...

Yep, and in fact that was my original idea for implementation. The screenshots in the OP are basically that setup - just hitting tomcat on localhost, with a local backend database. it works perfectly for what it is, but after some consideration, I changed my approach.

For one thing, it would be impossible to make that setup work across a wide variety of platforms and devices. i'd rather not have an inbox full of PMs asking for help setting up Tomcat on Android or MySQL on an iPod Nano.

but more importantly, it would mean the only people who could use it would be serious tinkers whose idea of fun is configuring a Raspberry Pi to be a web and database server.

Instead, I'm gonna host it from a central website. you just log in, and it displays the high scores board for your game room. no worrying about installation or hardware. this way, any device with an internet connection and a web browser can use it, and anyone who can use a web browser can set it up and get it running with ease.

this approach also has a bunch of other advantages as well, such as making your game room high score list available remotely.

PS - here's a teaser screenshot of the banner configuration screen!

banner-screenshot (resized).pngbanner-screenshot (resized).png

(you type what you want the banner to say, you pick from a dropdown list of preset styles, and then optionally you can modify the CSS of that style, and upload your own background image ... all that stuff is optional, though)

#49 6 years ago

pretty bad ass, nice work!

#50 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

but more importantly, it would mean the only people who could use it would be serious tinkers whose idea of fun is configuring a Raspberry Pi to be a web and database server.

Once you had a fully running server, you'd just clone the SD card to an image that people download and flash to a card -- but I get what you mean. It's not for everybody. But if it catches on, hosting it yourself will get into actual costs.

There are 397 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-custom-gameroom-high-score-app?hl=boat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.