Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 397 posts
  • 79 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Tsskinne
  • Topic is favorited by 107 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0086 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0088 (resized).JPG
    autoRefresh (resized).png
    Screenshot_2017-09-14-12-22-22 (resized).png
    Centaur Background (resized).png
    Centaur (resized).png
    20170912_213300 (resized).jpg
    20170912_213943 (resized).jpg
    Shadow Background (resized).png
    Size Test (resized).png
    Screenshot_2017-09-11-21-22-38 (resized).png
    Screenshot_2017-09-11-21-22-47 (resized).png
    Capture4 (resized).PNG
    Joust (resized).png
    Joust Background (resized).png
    dummy games (resized).jpg
    There are 397 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.
    #352 6 years ago

Ordered

#353 6 years ago
    Quoted from Fifty:

I agree.
    I wasn't near my 32" Samsung tonight so I decided to try my setup on my Samsung Tab8. I guess I'm not understanding how all of you are getting perfect images right across without having to resize every background image taken from Dropbox.

I'll be testing it, but I think the answer is that there isn't going to be a "perfect image". Something like a basic pattern would be good since it's just going to repeat. It's when we try to get fancy with images they are going to be cropped to your screen resolution divided by the total number of games that you have (with a minimum size slightly bigger then 250px). For many, we'll be able to size things so that they look good at that minimum size. The images that I've provided are 500px; so they will fill the entire score entry screen; which is 400 (something). If your screen resolution divided by the total number of games is under 500px they still should look fine. So...having said that there are going to be some cases where we might have to customize some images to fit specific sizes. I will try to create a test background with size markers on it so you can test what size you'll actually need.

EDIT: So here is a simple image you can use to test your resolution. Each line is 25px. Post this as your background and count the number of lines visible, multiply by 25, and that will give you your optimal image sizes. The right hand side of each red line is 100px.

EDIT AGAIN: I now see your having vertical issues. You need use images with a larger vertical size to fill the space.

Size Test (resized).pngSize Test (resized).png

#354 6 years ago

The 32" is likely 1920x1080, so with only 3 games on it, you would need backgrounds that are 1920 / 3 = 640 px wide to avoid the nasty seam. Either that, or pad it with some dummy columns as mentioned above.

Once you used the tablet flipped to portrait, a couple of issues bit you. The tablet resolution looks like it is 1024x600, so in fullscreen, your 3 columns at 265 px minimum width each add up to 795 px, causing the 3rd one to fall off the edge of the screen. There is still a bug that causes the scaling to not work in fullscreen on mobile devices.

When the table is NOT in fullscreen, the scaling works, so your columns fill the screen nicely. Since it's scaled down, you need more vertical resolution than you'd think. You have 1024, minus the 100 px banner, divided by the zoom being used. Your zoom is at 600/795 in order to make the columns fit. As a result, you would need 924 / (600 / 795) = 1224 px to make it fill the vertical space without tiling. A lot of these images are being made at 500x1024, so they would not be long enough in your case.

#355 6 years ago

lpeters82 I tried to read your post but the image you posted blinded me.

herg so basically I just have to keep screwing with the images until I get them to fit properly both horizontally the way I want and vertically. Well that sucks...

#356 6 years ago

If you post my image into your system, and take a few screen shots I will create custom images for you. Just send me an email tonight.

#357 6 years ago
    Quoted from Fifty:

herg so basically I just have to keep screwing with the images until I get them to fit properly both horizontally the way I want and vertically. Well that sucks...

Well, kinda. They need to be big enough to cover, but they can be oversized. The biggest gotcha there is that if you have an image is really wide and you try to use it on a 265 px wide column, you'll only see the left part.

In your case, if you want to use existing images, I'd recommend adding dummy columns or turning portrait. If you go portrait, you'll probably find that some images aren't long enough.

You could also stay landscape, only have 3 columns, and make sure that all your images are 640 px or more wide.

Quoted from lpeters82:

If you post my image into your system, and take a few screen shots I will create custom images for you. Just send me an email tonight.

Now, that's an awesome offer!

#358 6 years ago

I'll try to slow down on posting images here; but I'm pretty happy with this one.

Shadow Background (resized).pngShadow Background (resized).png

#359 6 years ago

I gladly purchased - thanks for all the work you put in

#360 6 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

Now, that's an awesome offer!

It is. I'll post something tonight and email you.

#361 6 years ago

Guys, if you want an Amazon Fire 7 tablet, they are $15 off for Prime Members, so call it 35 bucks. I just ordered one.

There was a discreet "special offer" notice when I went to the page. I barely noticed it. Hope it works for y'all.

#362 6 years ago

My wife is away this week so it's just me and the kids. They don't fall asleep until around 9PM so I don't get a lot of time for myself in the evenings. There's a lot of "go to sleep" and "get back in bed" coming out of my mouth.

So I tried this web app on my 32" Samsumg SmartTV again last night. So far I haven't been having any luck. I have 10 games added. On my Macbook I am able to scroll through them from left to right as normal. The graphics are still messed up, but that's something I can tweak and eventually get right. On my 32" Samsung though it's a right mess. Please ignore the glare in the photos as it's just the reflection of the lamps in the room.

First image isn't great, but I figured it just needed the images to be cropped. However, when I tried to scroll to the right it wouldn't. The other 7 games were underneath?

20170912_213300 (resized).jpg20170912_213300 (resized).jpg

20170912_213943 (resized).jpg20170912_213943 (resized).jpg

I haven't got a clue what it is doing.

#363 6 years ago

we need more art for older game like classic bally and classic stern...

#364 6 years ago
    Quoted from Fifty:

Looks like the browser on the TV is mangling it. Have you tried it on a different device?

#365 6 years ago
    Quoted from Fifty:

My wife is away this week so it's just me and the kids. They don't fall asleep until around 9PM so I don't get a lot of time for myself in the evenings. There's a lot of "go to sleep" and "get back in bed" coming out of my mouth.
    So I tried this web app on my 32" Samsumg SmartTV again last night. So far I haven't been having any luck. I have 10 games added. On my Macbook I am able to scroll through them from left to right as normal. The graphics are still messed up, but that's something I can tweak and eventually get right. On my 32" Samsung though it's a right mess. Please ignore the glare in the photos as it's just the reflection of the lamps in the room.
    First image isn't great, but I figured it just needed the images to be cropped. However, when I tried to scroll to the right it wouldn't. The other 7 games were underneath?

That's what happens when the browser used doesn't support the "display: flex" property. Is there a way to go into your TV's settings and update the browser or the TV's firmware? the following browsers should work:

Chrome 29.0 and up
    Internet Explorer 11.0 and up
    Firefox 28.0 and up
    Safari 9.0 and up
    Opera 17.0 and up

Any browser version released since about 2013 should work. (incidentally, this is why first-gen iPads don't work, because Apple stopped support in 2012)

#366 6 years ago
    Quoted from Redketchup:

we need more art for older game like classic bally and classic stern...

I just needed a reason to do this one. It crops pretty nicely around 250-270px, which should be in the range for most users.

Centaur (resized).pngCentaur (resized).png
    Centaur Background (resized).pngCentaur Background (resized).png

#367 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

That's what happens when the browser used doesn't support the "display: flex" property. Is there a way to go into your TV's settings and update the browser or the TV's firmware? the following browsers should work:
    Chrome 29.0 and up
    Internet Explorer 11.0 and up
    Firefox 28.0 and up
    Safari 9.0 and up
    Opera 17.0 and up
    Any browser version released since about 2013 should work. (incidentally, this is why first-gen iPads don't work, because Apple stopped support in 2012)

I'll have to check, but it's a Samsung built in web browser. Very basic.

I might just use my tablet and then cast everything onto the television using a Chromecast dongle. I think this would probably be easier and then it'll update in real-time as I update scores on the tablet. Hopefully when I cast it it doesn't screw with the sizing.

#368 6 years ago
    Quoted from Fifty:

I'll have to check, but it's a Samsung built in web browser. Very basic.
    I might just use my tablet and then cast everything onto the television using a Chromecast dongle. I think this would probably be easier and then it'll update in real-time as I update scores on the tablet. Hopefully when I cast it it doesn't screw with the sizing.

Great idea!

#369 6 years ago

I did try the chromecast yesterday but the problem is that on an ipad or a google nexus the page isn't wide enough. So I casted from a laptop using Chrome browser and that is the best option for me.
    I tried various apps on my ipad and various options on my android devices. None had a great result.

#370 6 years ago

So, could one chromecast from a laptop somewhere else in the house, but use an iphone in the gameroom to add scores?

#371 6 years ago
    Quoted from jeffc:

So, could one chromecast from a laptop somewhere else in the house, but use an iphone in the gameroom to add scores?

it's really not meant for use on an iPhone. the screen is too small and i'm not sure if scrolling works properly. plus you'd have to refresh the main screen manually.

#372 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

it's really not meant for use on an iPhone. the screen is too small and i'm not sure if scrolling works properly. plus you'd have to refresh the main screen manually.

to expand this thought: i think eventually development might evolve in this kind of direction, where people submit scores through their phone. We will see what demand dictates. but in its current form, it's not really supported.

#373 6 years ago

Short of the login screen being a bit difficult to manage and there not being much screen real estate for scores, it does work fine on my Android phone (a Samsung S5). It could be worth trying on an iphone. I know, however, there is not currently a trial version, so there's that wrinkle. Don't expect pezpunk to support it when you run into issues, either.

#374 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

to expand this thought: i think eventually development might evolve in this kind of direction, where people submit scores through their phone. We will see what demand dictates. but in its current form, it's not really supported.

I really hope that this is implemented in the future. We discussed it some during beta testing and I am glad that other people are looking at this as a cool feature as well. This is my dream setup as I have a 55 inch TV already on my wall and do not see a reason to use another screen. The program is awesome. I just need you two device people to speak up.

#375 6 years ago

I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record here, but I'm still having alignment issues. Please see photo. All my images are 256x1024. The Transporter image is fine, but the EBD image is repeating and so is CFTBL. Why? This is really starting to frustrate me.

Screenshot_2017-09-14-12-22-22 (resized).pngScreenshot_2017-09-14-12-22-22 (resized).png

#376 6 years ago
    Quoted from Fifty:

I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record here, but I'm still having alignment issues. Please see photo. All my images are 256x1024. The Transporter image is fine, but the EBD image is repeating and so is CFTBL. Why? This is really starting to frustrate me.

They need to be wider than 256 px. I'm not sure why The Transporter is not cropped, just like all the others, unless it is not actually 256 px wide. You need an absolute minimum of 265 px wide to avoid tiling on the score display screen. You will also need them to be at least 430 px to avoid tiling on the score entry screen.

#377 6 years ago

Each image is exactly 256 wide. I wish there was a way to crop a larger image in the webapp so that the image displays the way I want it too. If I make the image 256 wide and move to a larger screen everything gets messed up. This limits me to using my tablet with the images I specifically created. If I move to a larger screen everything starts repeating.

I'm going to look at the no-repeat css thing. Where do I put it? It doesn't seem to work under CSS for game title.

I'm adding;

background-repeat:no-repeat;

#378 6 years ago

265, not 256. Plus, if you don't go to 430, you'll have the same problem on the score entry screen.

I've asked pezpunk for a separate image for backgrounds vs score entry. I think that would reduce the confusion, but you still have the wrinkle of different column widths for different setups.

#379 6 years ago

herg Damn it... Thanks. I'm an idiot.

#380 6 years ago

Is there a source where everyone is uploading the pictures for the games? I'm a graphical noob, so i would appreciate to get a few pics for my games.

#381 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

I created a Dropbox that can host all of our art
    Guys, if you want access to the dropbox, pm me your email address, and you'll be added and Dropbox will email you a link.

1 month later
    #382 6 years ago

Has anyone here tried the touchjet wave on a tv? Does anyone know of a reason it wouldn't be compatible with this app?

https://www.touchjet.com/wave/

#383 6 years ago
    Quoted from Glarrownage:

Has anyone here tried the touchjet wave on a tv? Does anyone know of a reason it wouldn't be compatible with this app?
    https://www.touchjet.com/wave/

that's a neat concept. Seems like it should work for iScored. It's Android ... so as long as the browser is up to date, you should be fine.

#384 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

that's a neat concept. Seems like it should work for iScored. It's Android ... so as long as the browser is up to date, you should be fine.

Thanks Pez! I think I'll give this a shot. I have several TV's I'm not using so I figure why not turn one into a big touch screen.

#385 6 years ago

it will be interesting to see how precise and responsive that method of touchscreen is. i look forward to hearing your review.

1 week later
    #386 6 years ago
    Quoted from Glarrownage:

Thanks Pez! I think I'll give this a shot. I have several TV's I'm not using so I figure why not turn one into a big touch screen.

Please share your results. I'm very interested in this product. It would make for such a clean installation.

#387 6 years ago

hey guys just an FYI i will be updating the app very soon with an auto-refresh option.

i intended to have the "community styles" thing done by now, but a hard drive crash has stalled that effort, and it's taking longer than expected to recover the data.

hopefully auto-refresh will tide people over until i can complete that feature.

2 weeks later
    #388 6 years ago

Hello! It's been a couple weeks, so here is an update:

Auto-refresh is now live. (I thought I mentioned this last week but apparently not!)

autoRefresh (resized).pngautoRefresh (resized).png

Let me know if you experience any problems with this new feature.

Also, I removed the Cryptocurrency miner option. It was disabled by default, and explained well on the options screen, and it only ran if the user opted in, but I decided I didn't want to risk anyone mistakenly thinking I was trying to pull something shady. It is a shame, though, because I made almost 3 whole cents from you guys over the last month with it. But sadly i've put an end of that lucrative gravy train.

And finally ... the data recovery is finally complete. They are shipping my data to me now, and within a few days, I should be able to finish that dang Community Styles option i've been promising for way too long.

#389 6 years ago

Totally awesome bud! I’m looking forward to the update!

2 weeks later
    #390 6 years ago

This is awesome. Great job with this. Now I need to get some high scores

IMG_0088 (resized).JPGIMG_0088 (resized).JPG

IMG_0086 (resized).JPGIMG_0086 (resized).JPG

#391 6 years ago

Without having to search entire thread, where do I go to purchase this?

#393 6 years ago
    Quoted from Lawnboy:

This is awesome. Great job with this. Now I need to get some high scores

You won't love it as much Lawnboy when I have my name Splattered across EVERY line of that display for you to look at Every day! lol

#394 6 years ago

Does the app have to constantly be on wifi or tied to the internet? I live in the boonies and wifi sucks here, but I love the app. Thank you for creating it. It only adds to the pinball experience.

#395 6 years ago
    Quoted from Da-Shaker:

Does the app have to constantly be on wifi or tied to the internet? I live in the boonies and wifi sucks here, but I love the app. Thank you for creating it. It only adds to the pinball experience.

It does require an active internet connection. It doesn't need much bandwidth to operate, though, once the page is initially loaded. When you enter or update a score, it doesn't refresh the whole page. it just updates that one score.

#396 6 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

You won't love it as much Lawnboy when I have my name Splattered across EVERY line of that display for you to look at Every day! lol

GRRRRR!!!! Come and try it

2 years later
    #397 4 years ago

Just curious if anyone has been using this at a public location and if so how do you have it set up? We are looking to add some displays for it at my location that is running roughly 20 machines.

There are 397 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-custom-gameroom-high-score-app/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.