• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

spinner pic 2.jpg
spinner pic.jpg

#1 9 years ago

When I tore down my Corvette machine to "shop" it, I noticed that the spinner was not original. It was a hack job, which explains why it never really worked well, and had American Flags decaled on it. Looking real close at IPDB pics, the spinner was supposed to have "Turbo Boost" on it. I bought a correct spinner blank from Marco, but couldn't find any correct replacement stickers for it.

I got online, searched for various Corvette emblem images, and came up with the spinner stickers shown below. I found a fun drawing of a corvette stingray, and then the official 40th anniversary emblem (which the machine commemorates).

I printed the images onto sticker paper, after sizing them on Microsoft Word (I'm sure there are better graphics programs but I am no computer power-user, and Word did just fine with its rulers and grids). I primed the spinner blank with white spray paint, then attached the stickers and clear coated with Rustoleum gloss acrylic.

I'm very pleased with the results, but will have to see how well them hold up. Any constructive criticism appreciated.spinner pic.jpgspinner pic.jpg

spinner pic 2.jpgspinner pic 2.jpg

#2 9 years ago

Nice job!
The car picture is a 'C3' 3rd generation corvette (called a bumper car from us corvette snobs), the logo is a 'C4' logo. They don't match, but no matter .... you have represented both generations like they game does!

P.S. I have a blazing fast HUO, cointaker LED'd Corvette to match the 63 convertible in the garage - neither are ever leaving!!

#3 9 years ago

You are one lucky dog, Bob. No way I can afford a 63 'Vette.

All I've got in the garage is a 67 Pontiac GTO convertible. Needs some work, but I still look good sitting in it. The Goat was a decent car for the time if you only wanted to go fast in a straight line...no way it could measure up to a corvette on any kind of real track.

Enjoy your matched pair!!!

#4 9 years ago

I had a C3 '72 convertible back in the day. Good times!

#5 9 years ago

I know those early 70's vettes are not the favorites of true aficionado's, but every 70's make suffered from poor performance due to the gas crisis. But as a 10 year old kid looking at that big, pointed nose and high wheel fairings, it looked outrageous, fast, and untamed. I didn't know anything about performance or handling, just that the dang thing looked so cool! I can still remember how it felt the first time I saw one....took me right out of my small, quiet, western Pennsylvania oil town and into a great big, loud, exciting world of fast cars and adventure. I picked that spinner to commemorate that feeling.

#6 9 years ago

Those really came out nice. I had to do the same thing for the spinner decals on my Baby Pac-Man. You should do what I did. Wrap them in clear sticky protective plastic. Don't know the real name of the product. Anyway, It's kind of like Mylar, only thinner and easier to work with. I told a worker in Staples what I was looking to do and he gave me a sheet of it.

Again, looks great and good luck with it.

#7 9 years ago

I'll look for it Pinfidel. Thanks for the info.

#8 9 years ago

Looks great!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
5,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ocean Isle Beach, NC
Machine - For Sale
Etten-leur, NB

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-custom-corvette-spinner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.