(Topic ID: 239358)

My current take on JJP pinball after TPF....

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 602 posts
  • 142 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Lamprey
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ED0AC495-264C-41DC-9B67-30D36705F8AD.gif
    06D0C3DB-AD68-488A-9F6F-062FAA3872A5 (resized).jpeg
    20190324_092443 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 1.37.g00 PM (resized).png
    wonka_glp_banner (resized).jpeg
    occ_meme (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    mirror (resized).jpg
    pitchforks.gif
    1E04BBC7-4BA6-4D64-B082-69552E3185AF.gif
    giphy.gif
    1_8xraf6eyaXh-myNXOXkqLA (resized).jpeg
    all-or-nothing (resized).jpg
    333271AB-636A-4710-86D0-4A0A240097D7.gif
    20190327_181251 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jgentry.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#32 5 years ago

Been a while since I've been on pinside. I did see the yellow brick money grab on facebook though.

I hope I'm wrong because I like their games but JJP seems to be in big trouble. I would bet that each title released has sold less then the last one. When you have decreasing sales on every title you have decreasing profits and increasing production costs. Add in that they simply cannot get games made in anything that resembles a timely fashion and the issue looks even worse. Their inability to keep games being made leads to constantly having a new work force which then creates QC isssues and lots of added expenses.

They stopped making POTC because they are not making money at it. They would sell them until the end of time if they were making profit. How at this point can they not know how to design and price a game?

An 11.5K WOZ that looks like a banana is a complete joke and an insult to their customer base. The sparkly play field is cool. It certainly did not cost them much more though so use that as a selling point at the same price a the RR of 9.5K instead of just trying to find 200 suckers. They look as stupid as Dutch did with BOP 3.0 on this announcement.

WOZ has been a really great game that somehow went from $6500 to $11500 since it started. TH was a step down even though the code is good. DI was a bizarre choice that jack should have never allowed to happen. It's a very good base game but for some reason they thought combining Bob the builder and SIM City would really resonate with 35+ year olds with money? They should retheme this one and get some of their development cost back. POTC is a good base game with another bad stale theme and bloated price point.

So if JJP can't make a profitable game at $9500 what is the next title going to cost? They have already greatly shrunk their market with this current pricing. Do they remove the features that guys like Panzer gush about to make building them easier and cheaper and try to lower the price? Or do they do what we all expect them to do and come in at 10K+ for the next title? I'm not sure what the answer is but I hope they figure it out.

#105 5 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Some of these JJP doom and gloom comments make me laugh. Jack said at TPF they are sold out of every game at the factory. They are more successful today then they have ever been and have a big release with Wonka right around the corner and a second game being announced later this year.
    Personally I think JJP is only going to grow as a company. I wouldn't be surprised though if Wonka is scaled back a bit in regards to featues.
    YBR is a cash grab though lol. JJP also needs to stop with their unlimited "limited editions" and make LE counts lower. Theres only one true WOZ LE, it was made over 5 years ago and is called the ECLE.

You are ignoring history and that doesn't really add up. They invested how many years into getting this many POTC out and they are sold out but don't want to make more of them? If they were sold out and doing great they would be taking the opportunity to milk POTC for all its worth and make as much as possible. Not abandon it for something they hope does better. Why are they trying a WOZ cash grab if they are doing great and selling all the POTC they can make? History also says that JJP can't announce a game and in a timely fashion get it to people. How has this changed suddenly with Wonka? Did they add a line so they can run 2 games? Did they add a line so they can run twice as many of the same game? Do they have more employees to be able to handle their current massive success?

And WOZ has 3 LE's now, you can't just say one is the best so it is the LE. I don't fault JJP for getting what they can out of WOZ. It is the only reason they are still in business. But at the same time you can't pretend the others don't exist because you just want to.

#122 5 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

It changed because that's what they decided to change. They aren't announcing a game until it's ready or just about ready to be made and shipped. YBR is the first such example - they are making them just days after being announced. WW will be similar, made and shipping shortly after being announced. That is the business model JJP has decided to move forward with. But - they sacrifice being able to make games ad hoc whenever. So, to answer your question, they need to plan ahead on parts and estimate how many games they need or want to make. For POTC, they can't just magically make more from parts they don't have. And the parts don't just show up like amazon prime 2 days later on their door.

They have been claiming this for years and have never once hit a production deadline. And what do you consider shortly? Right now they can only make x# of games per week and that has not changed. Even if they are shipping without a 8-24 month delay like previous titles people could still be waiting 6 months or more for a game.

They can't just magically make more parts for any game. They didn't order more parts for POTC because it's either not selling or it's not profitable. It makes zero sense to go back and make a new WOZ cash grab if your line is already set up for POTC and it's selling and making you money. If POTC was doing great they would be pumping the cash into a new line to run WOZ or Wonka depending on what their projections tell them will be the most profitable.

I'm not trying to bag on JJP. I'm just being honest as a customer of theirs that has bought all of their games other then POTC.

#142 5 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

Man I'm sorry but you're one of the really crazy people on Pinside. Pinball is your passion got that but its a business first and foremost. Learn it love it and accept it. What you're is a potential customer for future games, nothing more. You don't work at JJP and you don't have control over their books, and thank God you're not their CEO! Let me address your points line by line.
    1) The reveal wasn't about raising money that is the dumbest thing I've heard... it a reveal only in the sense that they brought the game to Texas Pinball. If you even bothered to listen to the presentation you would have heard JJP is NOT selling the game themselves. You can only buy the game thru a distributor. Let me inform you of something... I can almost promise you EVERY SINGLE GAME IS ALREADY CLAIMED. The Pinball Company even admitted their best selling game EVER is WOZ. Demand is there for more WOZ games from HIGH END distributors so they're a business last i checked, demand is there for their product so they're making more. What don't you understand here?
    2) Yes Jack said they might do more why do you have a problem with that? Do you own a business is there something wrong with you? Would you pass on someone offering you more money to keep your business up and running? Do not confuse passion and business my friend. Why don't you go to Stern and tell them HEY WHY DIDN'T YOU STOP making Ghostbusters after like the 8000 game sold or ACDC see what kind of response you get. Everyone in the Pinball world needs to realize these are business trying to make money in a NICHE market. WAKE UP!
    3) Jack didn't destroy the collectibility of anything, WOZ games still rarely come up for sale and when they do its for a TON OF MONEY. A HIGH END retail location here where I'm from just sold TWO Pirates LE for $12,500 yeah you got that RIGHT $12,500. Furthermore they're planning on selling these new WOZ games for like $15,000 and they will sell them. This doesn't hurt the value of your game it only increases.
    4) Sales of Pirates probably did start off slow for Pirates but as you heard him say clearly THEY SOLD EVERY GAME they pre-ordered parts for. The game is awesome people love it, and as I stated some high end retailers here sold the game for $12,500 and it SOLD. And yes I predicted there would be another run and then Jack confirmed it saying never say never.
    5) Extract every dime what in the hell is wrong with you... this is a business. They should get every dime possible are you living on planet earth. They have employees to pay, bills, are a liberal? Seriously! BTW you stole the Black Pearl Edition from me from another discussion... shame on you! LOL
    6) POTC is NOT a shit franchise as the entire franchise has probably grossed well north of 10 billion dollars maybe even 15 billion with everything included. Disney will re-launch this franchise again. Disney is a licensing machine, but I'm sure a pinball game is such a small part of revenue from this franchise but a cool one none the less.
    7) Its hard to keep responding your points like point seven because you seem to get more and more radical with each point.
    So here is the bottom line for you my friend, aside from the fact you need to see a doctor, let me explain how JJP works.
    They release a game, they're always numbered, then they stop making it to put a different game on the line, only to bring back the last one with a new special edition to it. Special almost always include new powder coating, artwork nothing major but always new sets of numbers. Here is a real prediction without ranting like you did...
    1) Pirates off the line for 6 months. Demand builds to a point where they can sell the game to ONLY to distributors and only in limited quantity. They will release like another 250 in 6 months it will be called like Black Pearl Edition, with new artwork, new powder coating. Every game will be pre-sold.
    2) For now they run another 250 WOZ games because every game is already SOLD! So have no fear there. Then Wonka will go on the line and that game will run until October.
    3) In October they will announce they're taking Wonka off the line, to make 250 more Pirates.
    4) Shortly thereafter they will announce probably at Chicago Pinball Expo GUNS N ROSES and its going on the line after they make 250 more special edition Pirates.
    5) 6 Months after that... they will probably announce another 500 run of Wonka before Toy Story goes on the line.
    This is just how they operate... nothing to get upset about this is their model. If you don't like it don't buy from them that simple!
    #BLACK PEARL

every single YBR is claimed...………...

#149 5 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

You said it yourself. They can't just magically make more ports for any game. They bought X parts to make X POTC. It was more successful than they anticipated, but the decision was made to continue with their plan to build YBR and then X game after that. So, they didn't order more POTC parts because they are trying to stick to their new game plan and schedule. This doesn't mean they never will order more POTC parts and build more. You're not understanding how it works in regards to planning these things out. There is a lead time on parts that is probably at least several weeks. I'm betting they were anticipating having some POTCs left over when they ran out of parts and instead they sold out. But they have a schedule to stick to, so they are sticking to it.

I need your rose colored glasses. Why waste money changing the line and weeks of down time to build a WOZ no one wants if anything you said about POTC is true. All companies have business plans. All business plans are fluid and constantly being changed as needed. So either POTC is not doing what you claim or management at JJP should be fired. The funniest thing you posted is JJP sticking to a schedule. Their games are really good, built super solid, definitely will love for the hobby, filled with cool stuff, on schedule is not something they have ever been though.

#187 5 years ago

First off, neither stern or JJP suck. Both have things they are really good at and both have things they need to work on. Both have made some awesome games. The constant back and forth with people crushing one and cheering another is tiresome.

Quoted from drfrightner:

Collector games like WOZ sell very fast, and WAY ABOVE MSRP if you really want to know the truth. A high end retail store will sell those Yellow Brick Roads will end up selling for like 15k each. Bank on that. You can also bank on every single one they're making is already SOLD to their outlets. BANK ON THAT AS WELL!

You might be an expert at what you do. But if you think any version of WOZ is selling for 15k in "high end retail stores" you do not know anything about pinball. Randomly saying BANK ON THAT does not make it true.

most collectable and sought after game ever? You are going to have to relinquish your doctorate after that one.

I was gonna get that King Kong but I got this banana WOZ instead....

#198 5 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

You do realize Stern is charging $9k for LE's that have half as many features and have as much code right? I'm happy to keep selling my Stern pins for more JJP pins that are more fun to play, have more to do, are better built, and have far more code work going into them.

Quite the exaggeration there.

#220 5 years ago

I think the top 5 stern and top 5 JJP fanboys should be locked in chest and sent to Davey Jones locker with the POTC production. Seldom does a lot of reason come from any of them.

#222 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Sorry for my poor attempt at humor. I was just adding to JY64's post. Ignoring what is actually different on the game itself on the CE model.
    LTG : )

It was funny as hell LTG.

#234 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Says the fanboy who buys every single new game that hits the market.

That's not true at all. I dont have the space or cash to blow like that. I buy maybe 1 out of 6 new releases NIB from the major companies. I'm glad you think of me as rich dude with unlimited funds though. Maybe some day I'll be that guy

#236 5 years ago
    Quoted from jeffro01:

The JJP hate is here is so freaking ridiculous... If you don't like their pins, don't buy one... It's really not complicated, yet we have several threads where all people are doing is bashing the brand and whining about how expensive they are, and blah blah blah... My two favorite pins in my measly little collection are, by far, my two JJP pins and I can't wait to purchase whatever JJP comes up with for Wonka. Seems like most of the complaining is about cost... Well you either can afford it or you can't and whining about it isn't going to change anything. JJP makes a very quality machine and provides great customer service behind the sale. I'm not going to bash any other maker either, Stern makes a solid machine as well.
    Yeah I know I'm new around here and I expect to take some heat for this comment but seriously people...
    Jeff

I thought we were mostly talking about how we see JJP going after the YBR announcement and what it means if anything. Some think it's a bad sign others seem to think they are crushing it about to release 2 new titles. Most of the thread is discussion about it and while a little heated nothing major. You learn to ignore the people that take it way too far and are broken records in every thread or you ignore them for real with the pinside feature.

Welcome to pinside and I'm glad you love your pins. Pinball has options for just about everyone.

#256 5 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

Monkey mech aside yes it’s more like a CE.

It's really not, but I'll bite. Let's say it's a CE, how have the other 2 CE's sold? So how in the world do the expect to sell 200 of these when the couldn't get close to that with POTCCE or DICE?

#316 5 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

This statement by you goes to show YOU KNOW NOTHING about pinball. There are THREE different groups that buy pinball. You clearly are in one group where you mostly trade for games changing some cash as well. Probably 90% of the people who are diehard pinball people buy and trade games every day, but the guy who spends 15 to 18k for this YBR edition will buy the game and will never sell it, and hardly ever play it.
    People with a lot of money buy things because they can, what else do they do with their money? WOZ is by far the most detailed, themed, beautiful, nostalgic pinball game EVER MADE. WOZ is the Mono Lisa of pinball, and HIGH END RETAIL stores ones that sell HIGH END game room stuff, million dollar rugs (seriously), or $200,000 chandeliers, will sell this game for 15 to 18,000 easy.
    You sit here and say what you said without even thinking about the Beatles fan who paid $20,000 plus for a Beatles game worth 5k really. So I think its the other way around its you who doesn't know anything.
    The second buyer is a location buyers, who mostly buys PRO stern games, the cheapest model. The last buyers group is more of a collector group, they all have something in common they have a lot of money. They probably collect many things, from muscle cars, to what knows what, and buying a very limited edition game for their fancy garage, or game room is nothing.
    Just because you're in the buy, sell, trade group who thinks NO ONE would pay this amount for a pinball, doesn't mean people won't. Get yourself out of the box you're trapped in because you're a totally clueless.
    Beatles limited editions sold as its been reported up to 25k, yes that sounds insane totally... so why wouldn't the most beloved movie of all time with a limited edition plague sell for the same? Its you not thinking straight not me.
    Once this goes on sale at one of the high end places around here, I'm going to take a picture and SHOW YOU!
    The same place I'm talking about HERE also sold TWO Pirates LE for $12,500 each. Yeah you heard that right!
    This same store told me they got some Black Knight LE and they will be selling those for 12k as well.
    Those places offer warranty up to a year, they do this thing called WHITE GLOVE where they bring it to your house set it up, blah, blah... where you on the other hand are just like tear the box apart like its Christmas.
    IT IS CLEARLY TWO DIFFERENT TYPES OF BUYERS BROTHER!
    WOZ WILL SELL IN SOME PLACES FOR UP TO $18,000 you'll see!
    Lastly, the people who think this game isn't going to sell, I have my sources its basically already sold out to their retail outlets. If you can muster up enough common sense, listen to what Jack said... THEY ARE NOT SELLING THE GAME DIRECT! Why? Because the game is basically already SOLD!
    The main reason why some JJP have a tough time selling is the PRICE... everyone hear bitches about the price. Well retailers complain about not getting enough cut like compared to Stern. But with a game like WOZ they don't care because they're going to JACK UP THE PRICE and make more money off one WOZ game than TWO Stern Pro's.
    How can they do that? Well because they can easy game to sell to the rich person who will pay for EVERYTHING to have something as limited as this.
    You just need to embrace the REALITY there is more than ONE side to pinball.

Stop capitalizing half your broken sentences. It makes your rants sound even crazier.

#318 5 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

There is an old saying, 'You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink'
    Jack who started JJP, had no experience as a mass production company of games. Jack had a dream, he set up a company, hired American's to build that dream with him. WOZ was the biggest game changer for pinball's comeback than any game in history. Love JJP or hate them you can't deny that. JJP was great for Stern and the entire industry. JJP like every pinball company has made mistakes, but give credit where its due, he's still here and still producing great games.
    The crimes in this industry haven't been committed by Stern or JJP, but rather the here one day and gone the next companies who stole your money.
    More start up companies will attempt to make a pinball game, and probably will fail, but as the other old saying goes 'YOU NEVER KNOW'.
    JJP, like Stern is an American made product, hiring Americans to manufacture in a time and age where most manufacturing jobs have left for China.
    Any company Stern, JJP, American Pinball, anyone producing their games in the USA deserves credit, even if you think their latest game sucks to high heaven. If you don't like something DO NOT BUY IT!
    JJP does things his way, every game created from scratch, new concept each time, which means slow grinding process to market. Stern has their system refined, has the ability to design games much faster, but clearly no where near as innovative. Pros and cons to both styles, neither to be trashed if you like the end result.
    What I find SICK and DISGUSTING is how some people feel the need to tear down JJP at every single turn, and start ridiculous threads where they offer OPINIONS as FACTS! When they're wrong and they get called out, the other haters just jump in trashing you. I can tell you my feelings aren't hurt one bit... I'm not here for my health I'm pointing out JJP is a great American made product and deserves more respect than threads like this one.
    The only people on this thread who're bashing people are the ones who support the idea that JJP is somehow bad for the industry... that is how you come across. You come across like you would throw a party if they announced tomorrow they are going bankrupt. This is a very sad situation that some people almost like PAID protesters find new ways every week to tear down this company.
    You constantly state OPINIONS as they're facts, your wrong someone like myself points that out and I'm the jerk.
    People should be HAPPY we have more than ONE company making pinball and trying to make it work. Competition is great and without it then and only then will you understand how dark your passion can get when it comes to innovation, new products, and more.
    Just saying... last week I saw someone post personal attacks against Jack himself, making fun of him personally, why? Jack was a pinball guy a player and he turned that passion into a start up business. That is an American success story that should be appreciated.
    That is my view. I'm done with giving life to this thread. I will support JJP because they support this hobby and American workers who need their job to pay their bills, feed their families, who give their best every day for YOUR PASSION for PINBALL!
    Not every game JJP makes or every price point you will like or agree with, but JJP has to do what they need to do for their company to THRIVE and its NOT ANY of our business how they run their company. When you find the opportunity to buy something they offer do it, when you don't, no reason to trash them up and down and back around again.
    Just saying!

This is a FORUM, everything OFFERED is AN opinion, NOT a FaCt. YOU do NOT know ANYTHING more THAN anyone ELSE, nor ARE your OPINIONS anymore VALID.

#404 5 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

JJP is getting beat up over YBR in this thread more then the crap Stern pulled with Beatles Platinum and Diamond. Both of those games cost $2500 - $8500 more then YBR and come with 1/4 as many featues, half the build quality and 1/10 of the code (that's being generous). All 3 of those games are way over priced but if you want to talk about offering 0 value with a cash grab game look at Stern.
    Also, I guess who cares about YBR, and Beatles Platinum / Diamond type games. Pinside and the average pinball owner is not the target audience for those games.
    Yes, YBR is a cash crab but it's not JJP's next flagship game, doesn't represent their new pricing all of a sudden, and for the love of pinball it doesn't mean JJP is hurting for money. Time to move on.

Not really true at all. Not sure why you have to spin everything JJP's way. There was tons more hate for BM66 and The Beatles. Those threads are still popping up with people whining. There have been tons of positive comments about JJP except from the usual 1 or 2 haters.

The only thing in this thread getting beat up is drfrightner. Who talks about a magical Saks Fifth Avenue of pinball that doesn't exist. I can only assume hes talking The Pinball Company but they price much better then that. MO is known for it's hot bed of "high end pinball stores". Dude sounds like hes screaming at his computer all high pitched and sweaty as hes typing frantically.

#460 5 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Jeez, JJP pins are heavier and the cabinets don't crack at the corners unlike countless Sterns that weigh 100lbs less. Why is that? Please tell me.
    Have fun buying corner brackets and then noticing that they can't be screwed in well due to the lower quality of wood recent Stern cabinets have. Yeah, JJP destroys Stern in build quality. I also expect there to be more tweaking in a JJP as there's far more in them. Want nothing to go wrong? Buy a Star Wars pro or Iron Maiden Pro as there's not a single toy that interacts with the ball in either.

Jack, is that you?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jgentry.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-current-take-on-jjp-pinball-after-tpf?tu=jgentry and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.