(Topic ID: 239358)

My current take on JJP pinball after TPF....

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 602 posts
  • 142 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Lamprey
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ED0AC495-264C-41DC-9B67-30D36705F8AD.gif
    06D0C3DB-AD68-488A-9F6F-062FAA3872A5 (resized).jpeg
    20190324_092443 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 1.37.g00 PM (resized).png
    wonka_glp_banner (resized).jpeg
    occ_meme (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    mirror (resized).jpg
    pitchforks.gif
    1E04BBC7-4BA6-4D64-B082-69552E3185AF.gif
    giphy.gif
    1_8xraf6eyaXh-myNXOXkqLA (resized).jpeg
    all-or-nothing (resized).jpg
    333271AB-636A-4710-86D0-4A0A240097D7.gif
    20190327_181251 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bublehead.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#287 5 years ago

I think JJP was the best thing that ever happened to Stern and that Stern then became the worst thing to ever happen to JJP until CGC, and then CGC was the worst thing to ever happen to JJP and Stern, but then Stern became the worst thing to ever happen to JJP and CGC and that is where it stands right now in my mind. Confused? So am I, but being neutral on pinside is easier if they can’t figure out what you are saying...

I think you could sprinkle in a couple of others like DP, Heighway, API, Homepin, Multimorphic, etc... and shake and it would still come out a pinkish grey or a greyish pink imo... thinks are not rosey red but they are not storm cloud grey either, and I wish all of them well, because competition is the best thing that ever happened for the consumer. Or so they keep telling me.

#335 5 years ago

I have been trying to understand Jacks decisions on Production, game choice, reveal strategies, marketing ploys, and sales gimmics for YEARS, and this is my take on them. For every right thing JJP does, they turn around and do a wrong thing that undercuts the rightness of the first decision. A sort of 2 steps forward, 1 step back aproach to pinball. Although the way forward continues, they slip and fall back. Same scenario with YBR, there has to be a reason they need a short term cash infusion and building WOZ machines for the ultra high end consumer, who could not care less about a missing monkey mech or castle door, is like printing money. But for that step forward, revealing it a TPF to the average pinhead hobbiest, and IF the machines were mostly sold out already to retailers, then that was a half step back fail that completes the pattern.

I have played JJP’s games, but I have never owned one, and cost and theme was always a factor against them. I am willing to pay more for a quality product, but the YBR version of WOZ wasnt built for me, I am not it’s target market, and revealing it to me at TPF was so uninteresting, I didn’t even go to the reveal, I went and played some pinball. My ears will prick up when I smell chocolate.

#339 5 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

Has there been some cultural shift in recent years where ‘not caring’ is a flag to be waved with pride?

Yes, it is waved like a white flag of surrender, except they are waving it before the war has even begun. Like a shield against trolls or tin hats... I dont care about subject X so dont attack me, I surrender.

#351 5 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

Your post has no relationship with the actual event.

Touche, I did not go to YBR reveal but my reasoning was forthought, not afterthought. I knew it was going to be YBR, I knew it was going to be too high priced for my interests, and I am not hanging on to every word Jack says to try and determine anything from it as far as JJP is concerned. Anything he could say at that event would not make it cost less, make the theme more interesting, or the game more intriguing, especially since people were expecting it to have mechs removed (to cut costs obviously) so why would I go? I posted because I thought JJP did exactly what I expected JJP to do, do what it needs to survive, but shoot itself in the foot doing it. So to me they are hitting it out of the park on second missteps, ergo my post. If that is not on topic, what is?

#354 5 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

Bublehead, I'm referring to 'don't care' quote above not your post. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

NP, after rereading, I see that now, my bad. But it kind of applied to my post so I took the arrow willingly.

#398 5 years ago

Does anyone remember those halcyon days when Bally, Williams, and Gottlieb put out pins and we just sat around and argued about which was more fun? Because we didnt have the $100 to buy an old dead EM route queen, or dream about a NIB? We didn’t even have a concept that these could even be purchased. They had to be made out of gold to be able to generate as much cash as they did. Afford a pinball machine? And mint my own money how? We were clueless.

#467 5 years ago

A little monkey music for your pleasure...

#481 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

No he's not Gary. I am Gary,

No, I am Sparticus.

#483 5 years ago

When I was born, they broke the mold, but Mom said that was because I was 3 feet long and weighed 30 pounds...

#497 5 years ago

How come every JJP thread devolves into a three sided piss fest that reminds me more of the Three Stooges, than the Three Amigos? Right now, if you lined all the manufacturers up for a race, pulled the trigger on the starting gun, here is what would happen...

Good afternoon, Ladies and Gentlemen, and Welcome to Pinside Raceway, It’s Post Time- This is Bublehead your Master of Ceremonies coming to you live from sunny Arizona, the weather is clear, the track is dry, and that’s the bugle as our competitors make their way to the starting gate. There’s the Number 1 filly, a fine contender, Steve Richie’s BKSoR, being ridden today by Gary Stern. Gary has been known to take center stage when the chips are down, and today is no exception.

Ok, and now I see the next horse coming up to the gate, Jersey Jack’s Dark horse Entry, WOZYBR, being riden by none other than Jack himself, you got to love his passion for competition. Jack has said some things that are going to drive the fans wild, but his love of Chocolate, Axle Rose, and High End Toys has given the media pause for reflection.

Ok, here comes CGC and their newest 20 year old, MBr, but wait, ok, yes, I seems CGC had some problems with their LE thouroughbred and had to substitute the CE yearling with a color chip upgrade... that is really going to impact their chances of winning here today.

Our next rider has been having some trouble with his mount, I can’t see, wait, yes, yes, it is API, seems they got their music and monkey issues ironed out and yes , here he is Oktoberfest, being riden by his original Jockey, Castrated Monkey, you got to respect the balls on Mr. Monkey for showing up here today.

Our next contestant is making their way to the chute... I can’t see the jockeys colors, wait, its white and pink silks with rainbow checkered chaps, yes it is the Multimophic entry, Lexy Lightspeed riding the mighty P3 steed. Boy there is a horse of a differnt color for you for sure.

Bringing up the rear, the final entries are making their way now to the gate... some of these horses I think were entered because this is a Claiming race, we have Dutch Pinball’s entry, The Big Lewbowski, unfortunately he looks a little lame today, he’s been favouring that left front foot that keeps ending up in someone elses mouth on a pretty regular basis.

Looks like a couple of others are struggling with their mounts in the chute, Homepin’s jockey is kicking the other jockeys and screaming “My mount is fun!” To anyone who will listen. His horse, TBag, however, seems to be living up to his well deserved name.

The last four entries are being forced into the shutes now, they are having dificulty getting The Jetsons, a non discript 2 year old to settle down in his gate, as well as Kingpin and The Mafia who have been shooting smoldering glances at each other and pantomiming throat cuts all morning.

Your final horse, ACNC, the latest mare from Spooky Farms decided to skip this race and play a game of TNA instead, probably a better use of their time as they are happy right where they are.

And there’s the bell and they are off!

JJP has jumped out to an amazing lead, Jack is really setting the pace this morning, followed closely by Gary on the outside, and CGC, with their Jockey Ryan bringing up the rear. The rest of the field is settling in for a decent afternoon run.

Jack has now pulled ahead, but he is facing some strong POTC headwinds as he rounds the first turn, CGC is nipping at his heals, and Gary has pulled in behind on the rail, followed by API, that Oktoberfest filly is really catching a stride.

The rest of the field is struggling to keep up the pace, but Labowski keeps chomping at his bit and DP is having trouble keeping him on the track. Mafia and Kingpin have broken out the handguns and the lead has started to fly... Watch it folks these guys are playing for blood.

Rounding the back turn, WOZYBR has been spooked by a flying monkey, and has turned and headed the wrong direction.. Gary has started whipping BKSoR like a red headed stepchild, and Ryan, on his 20 year old has been fading fast, falling behind by 160 lengths.

Mafia and Kingpin have given up completely, dismounting in the infield and breaking out switchblades, they are literaly at each others throats.

The Pinball Company has continued to not spare the whip as it brings up the rear, The Jetsons is just to much a vanilla flavored dark horse to actually compete. My gosh what fun.

Jack has finally got conrol of WOZYBR and turned her around and got her headed back in the right direction, but that u-turn reveal sure cost him the lead. Gary has seen the cracks in the veneer of that old yellow paint, and has redoubled his efforts, releasing a torrent of titles in hopes to put Jack and his aging steed finally out to pasture.

But don’t tear those tickets up just yet folks, Oktoberfest has finally caught his wind and is coming on strong from the inside rail. That monkey is whipping that poor stud so fast you cant even see where his hand is, how ironic.

As they round the final turn, its Gary out in front, Jersey Jack coming hard from the outside, and Ryan has his customers convinced the quality of the LE is worth waiting on and has MBrCE pushing for a photo finish...

Multimorphic has been hanging on by Lexy’s pink silks but a public cry of “Mhe” rings out from the crowd as she takes the forth turn and heads for home.

They are pounding for the end now, steel balls and rubber rings a flyin’, as each Jockey positions for a chance at that finish line. It’s neck and neck ladies and gentlemen, you can see the flashing siver of Gary’s mane as the pulsing vein in Jacks forhead swells with each thrash of the whip. Ryan has broken out his cell phone and is taking another call from an angry MBrLE customer, as Multimophic continues to try and be relevant. Oktoberfest has overcome his earlier mis-“handling” and is charging for finish.

Its Gary, its Jack, it’s CGC, its API... down to the wire and it’s...

Holy freaking COW!!! Ladies and Gentlman, Alien has broken through the club house gates and has started consuming the other contestants... He just bit the head of BKSoR and threw Oktoberfest into the stands, oh my god the carnage... Jack has dismounted and is running for the infield... Ooow! That’s got to hurt, can we get a medic to the infield please? Now it has Gary by his magnificent silver hair and, oh, I didn’t know an eyeball could do that... I’m sorry ladies, and gentlemen, this is just too much, oh the humanity, I am afriad I have to stop, this is just too awful....

<mike drop>...

#505 5 years ago

Humor is not short or easy...

Here is the Cliff Notes version.

I wrote it, you read it, you laughed.

If your experience was different, my apologies.

#508 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

We still love you Bubblehead, its all good brother!

I was poking fun at Yelobird... no ill feelings at all Who-Dey this is all in fun, and he was poking fun at me too.

#520 5 years ago

I’m waiting it out, a whole bunch of people are. If I jumped ship now it would be to a JJP POTC or Munsters Premium, or BKSoF Premium, or the new BM66XXXLSCALIFRAGILISTICESPEALIDOSIOUS.

#581 4 years ago

This unfortunate choice of words, however, gave my Ipad a nostril induced coffee facial... no disrespect to Iceman.

#585 4 years ago
    Quoted from Skyemont:

I'm going to start a thread about "my take on Stern pinballs"......

When someone “gives” you their “take” on something, what do you get in return, or are we even?

#587 4 years ago
    Quoted from Skyemont:

Eye for a eye is always even!

I like this answer.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bublehead.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-current-take-on-jjp-pinball-after-tpf?tu=bublehead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.