(Topic ID: 239358)

My current take on JJP pinball after TPF....

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 602 posts
  • 142 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Lamprey
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ED0AC495-264C-41DC-9B67-30D36705F8AD.gif
    06D0C3DB-AD68-488A-9F6F-062FAA3872A5 (resized).jpeg
    20190324_092443 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 1.37.g00 PM (resized).png
    wonka_glp_banner (resized).jpeg
    occ_meme (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    mirror (resized).jpg
    pitchforks.gif
    1E04BBC7-4BA6-4D64-B082-69552E3185AF.gif
    giphy.gif
    1_8xraf6eyaXh-myNXOXkqLA (resized).jpeg
    all-or-nothing (resized).jpg
    333271AB-636A-4710-86D0-4A0A240097D7.gif
    20190327_181251 (resized).jpg
    There are 602 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 13.
    #351 5 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

Your post has no relationship with the actual event.

Touche, I did not go to YBR reveal but my reasoning was forthought, not afterthought. I knew it was going to be YBR, I knew it was going to be too high priced for my interests, and I am not hanging on to every word Jack says to try and determine anything from it as far as JJP is concerned. Anything he could say at that event would not make it cost less, make the theme more interesting, or the game more intriguing, especially since people were expecting it to have mechs removed (to cut costs obviously) so why would I go? I posted because I thought JJP did exactly what I expected JJP to do, do what it needs to survive, but shoot itself in the foot doing it. So to me they are hitting it out of the park on second missteps, ergo my post. If that is not on topic, what is?

#352 5 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

That same retailer told me they're going to put the new YBR game up for $18,000.00... I'm NOT making this up.

Who was it or it didn’t happen

I’d like to know who the idiot is that I need to avoid

FACT. It won’t sell for $18k. Lucky to get $11.5k. Better move fast

FACT. The person that pays $18k for a YBR is a stone cold idiot. Not happening

#353 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

Touche, I did not go to YBR reveal but my reasoning was forthought, not afterthought. I knew it was going to be YBR, I knew it was going to be too high priced for my interests, and I am not hanging on to every word Jack says to try and determine anything from it as far as JJP is concerned. Anything he could say at that event would not make it cost less, make the theme more interesting, or the game more intriguing, especially since people were expecting it to have mechs removed (to cut costs obviously) so why would I go? I posted because I thought JJP did exactly what I expected JJP to do, do what it needs to survive, but shoot itself in the foot doing it. So to me they are hitting it out of the park on second missteps, ergo my post. If that is not on topic, what is?

Quoted from YZRider926:

I don’t really care what they make and how much they sell for.

Bublehead, I'm referring to 'don't care' quote above not your post. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

#354 5 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

Bublehead, I'm referring to 'don't care' quote above not your post. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

NP, after rereading, I see that now, my bad. But it kind of applied to my post so I took the arrow willingly.

#355 5 years ago

My theory....

The launch price of WOZ was probably too low, but helped fund the start up of the company.... not a sustainable price. We have also heard that distributors have smaller margins on JJP pins, if true, supports there is pressure on gross profit / income margins.

But once that price is out there, you have something that people anchor too.... and are left with two choices....
    1. scale back features of future games, keep price relatively flat and go head 2 head with Stern. not a fun choice. and not what they set up to be..
    2. start taking price as you launch new games and editions.... they took this path.

The other challenge JJP has is volume. Fixed costs is a real thing, they have a building, they have workers, they have taxes, utlilities, etc.... So IF volume has been declining.... cost per unit game produced go up.... once again, more pressure on cost, thus need more price.

POTC stopping production this quickly.....
    - maybe it is simply costing more to make then they realized... and thus not anxious to keep it on the line.... (this should not be the case though, forecasting COGS, bill of materials, labor, overhead, etc.... is really important to get right).
    - maybe as everyone has said the demand just was not as big as they had hoped... and they have some juggernaut titles ready to go, so why not shift gears.....they can always come back to POTC (maybe it gets to a cult status and they bring it back next year).

Why YBR:
    - my guess is that their is more demand for the game.... I can imagine that new people/families coming into the hobby not knowing much and that WOZ is a really attractive game. So I think it is aimed at new people coming into the hobby. Why the price ? Allows distributors to get more margin and for JJP to get more margin, and they are probably testing the price point to see if it still moves...

- why the monkey mech got removed, I dont know.... especially given the price increase.... I was guessing maybe the source for that part was no longer around and they had a choice to re-engineer and find a new supplier or do something simpler.... and they took simpler.

In regards to the collectors and limited editions, I am not that person... but I can definitely see why folks who are into that get upset... to me it looks like JJP will continue to do multiple limited runs/versions of games.

Although I don't like to see price increases JJP needs a business model that will work.... lets say for a second that they need to improve financials:

1. Increase sales volume: quickly move to your believed juggernaut titles (WW, toy story, etc...). This they are doing.
    2. Increase volume: Make the product more differentiated, I don't think they need to do this, they are already top tier by a long shot on features.
    3. Find a way to maintain product features and reduce costs/price eventually... easier said then done given they are probably swamped trying to get the pins out. The key would be to figure out what is must have vs. what is nice to have.... and cut nice to have (keeping the customer at the front here).

Wishing JJP the best, Dialed In on my radar for a pin I really want. My kids love it and I think it is really fun. I also really enjoy WOZ. Pricing of new pins is a bit much for me.... but hey, I'm not everyone so JJP needs to see if it can find its portion of the market and make it work.

#356 5 years ago
    Quoted from ataritoday:

My theory....
    The launch price of WOZ was probably too low, but helped fund the start up of the company.... not a sustainable price. We have also heard that distributors have smaller margins on JJP pins, if true, supports there is pressure on gross profit / income margins.
    But once that price is out there, you have something that people anchor too.... and are left with two choices....
    1. scale back features of future games, keep price relatively flat and go head 2 head with Stern. not a fun choice. and not what they set up to be..
    2. start taking price as you launch new games and editions.... they took this path.
    The other challenge JJP has is volume. Fixed costs is a real thing, they have a building, they have workers, they have taxes, utlilities, etc.... So IF volume has been declining.... cost per unit game produced go up.... once again, more pressure on cost, thus need more price.
    - maybe it is simply costing more to make then they realized... and thus not anxious to keep it on the line.... (this should not be the case though, forecasting COGS, bill of materials, labor, overhead, etc.... is really important to get right).
    - maybe as everyone has said the demand just was not as big as they had hoped... and they have some juggernaut titles ready to go, so why not shift gears.....they can always come back to POTC (maybe it gets to a cult status and they bring it back next year).
    Why YBR:
    - my guess is that their is more demand for the game.... I can imagine that new people/families coming into the hobby not knowing much and that WOZ is a really attractive game. So I think it is aimed at new people coming into the hobby. Why the price ? Allows distributors to get more margin and for JJP to get more margin, and they are probably testing the price point to see if it still moves...
    - why the monkey mech got removed, I dont know.... especially given the price increase.... I was guessing maybe the source for that part was no longer around and they had a choice to re-engineer and find a new supplier or do something simpler.... and they took simpler.
    In regards to the collectors and limited editions, I am not that person... but I can definitely see why folks who are into that get upset... to me it looks like JJP will continue to do multiple limited runs/versions of games.
    Although I don't like to see price increases JJP needs a business model that will work.... lets say for a second that they need to improve financials:
    1. Increase sales volume: quickly move to your believed juggernaut titles (WW, toy story, etc...). This they are doing.
    2. Increase volume: Make the product more differentiated, I don't think they need to do this, they are already top tier by a long shot on features.
    3. Find a way to maintain product features and reduce costs/price eventually... easier said then done given they are probably swamped trying to get the pins out. The key would be to figure out what is must have vs. what is nice to have.... and cut nice to have (keeping the customer at the front here).
    Wishing JJP the best, Dialed In on my radar for a pin I really want. My kids love it and I think it is really fun. I also really enjoy WOZ. Pricing of new pins is a bit much for me.... but hey, I'm not everyone so JJP needs to see if it can find its portion of the market and make it work.

If $9500 is not profitable stick a fork in them they are done

#357 5 years ago

This is how I imagine Dr Frightner is when he logs into Pinside

giphy.gifgiphy.gif
    #358 5 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

This is how I imagine Dr Frightner is when he logs into Pinside
    [quoted image]

Now that is some funny sh**

#359 5 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

If $9500 is not profitable stick a fork in them they are done

Agreed.

If you can’t make money selling pinball machines at $9,500, it’s over. These knuckleheads have hit the ceiling on price.

#360 5 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

Agree, he states he can back everything up "110%" so please do so as if this can't be backed up then everything else stated is subjective!

No need to call the guy names. Maybe what he's saying is fact but again we don't know this. A lot of stuff on Pinside is people giving opinions. DR is stating he can back everything up so lets see if it's true!

I think (don't read the entirety of any of those posts) he was targeting "x" amount of downvotes.....so maybe he IS winning (what he's winning I'm unclear of)

Crazy stuff...

#361 5 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

I think (don't read the entirety of any of those posts) he was targeting "x" amount of downvotes.....so maybe he IS winning (what he's winning I'm unclear of)
    Crazy stuff...

Ya winning at being an ass clown....

#362 5 years ago
    Quoted from ataritoday:

My theory....
    Why YBR:

Can we get cliffs notes on this one?

#363 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

Agreed.
    If you can’t make money selling pinball machines at $9,500, it’s over. These knuckleheads have hit the ceiling on price.

My ceiling is $7500- $8000 I can afford more just won't pay more. A man's got to know his limitations

#364 5 years ago

I have no skin in this game but there is a WHOLE OTHER WORLD of people with more money than they can spend......I know and have met people like this. When they want something they buy it.... don’t care what it costs.

And there are specific places that cater to people in this lifestyle......

The YBR is not for someone on a budget or looking for a deal. Think Supreme.......it means nothing but to show I can afford to buy something others can’t or someone who wants the best/most exclusive money can buy. They perceive and believe spending more on something means it’s the best though it often is not.

#365 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pickle:

I have no skin in this game but there is a WHOLE OTHER WORLD of people with more money than they can spend......I know and have met people like this. When they want something they buy it.... don’t care what it costs.
    And there are specific places that cater to people in this lifestyle......
    The YBR is not for someone on a budget or looking for a deal. Think Supreme.......it means nothing but to show I can afford to buy something others can’t or someone who wants the best/most exclusive money can buy. They perceive and believe spending more on something means it’s the best though it often is not.

Yep i know many collectors that don't care about how much something is... if they want it they purchase it. I've seen some amazing collection's

#366 5 years ago

To summarize:

YBR is a stupid $$ cash grab. The pathetic TPF seminar is indicative that they know it and should be embarrassed by it. Where the F is the monkey mech? The wooden apron and radcals are a joke, I would light them on fire before removing a game play feature like the monkey!

Fast forward.

Wonka. Grand Slam
    GNR. Home Run
    Toy Story. Home Run
    Harry Potter. 4 Grand Slams in one game

#367 5 years ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

Screw collectibility. If jack can make money and jjp continues to thrive and produce games then we should all be so grateful to have so many options

Damn straight!

#368 5 years ago

Wish you would post more often, your well thought out, reasonable and rooted in reality points here are a fresh of breath air, well done!

#369 5 years ago

We need to separate what knowledgeable Pinside people will spend on a pin (regardless of income) vs what a rich non-Pinside person will spend. Pinside people are looking at a new version with less stuff for more money and laughing. That is the gift of knowledge and being part of the hobby. As for stupid rich people (however you want to put emphasis and punctuation on those 3 words) they will do whatever they want. That is the prerogative of the rich.

#370 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pickle:

Think Supreme.......it means nothing but to show I can afford to buy something others can’t or someone who wants the best/most exclusive money can buy.

I agree that those people exist. But they don't care about pinball, they care about having a trophy. When WOZ first came out, serious Wizard of Oz collectors would have bought it. Or when the next version came out, they would have gotten it then. It's not like the games were all that limited. You didn't have to buy them in the first hour like Supreme. Not to mention the fact that I haven't seen anyone selling their WOZ sales confirmation on Ebay. Are there Wizard of Oz fans out there kicking themselves for missing the boat and breathing a sigh of relief now?

#371 5 years ago

Hopefully the old Wonka with Gene Wilder?

#372 5 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Hopefully the old Wonka with Gene Wilder?

Lol. If it’s not. The outrage will be off the charts

And I’ll be leading the way!

#373 5 years ago
    Quoted from sethi_i:

There is absolutely nothing in this statemtent that is a fact.

Seriously I'm wasting my time its like talking to a wall. Yes what I said was a fact not an opinion.

As I clearly explained you fall into a group of buy, sell, trade. If you go into one of these high end showrooms they'll ask $15,000 for an Adams Family. Would I ever pay that NO, would you YOU, NO! Neither one of us are that stupid. I already posted here another fact, that a high end store I know about sold two Pirates a few weeks ago, both for $12,500.00 each. In case you're not aware those LE are $9500 on JJP website. This same store also has a RUG from Turkey or Iran or something, they're asking 1 million dollars. The salesman told me they turned down a $600,000 offer on it... I asked what would it take they said probably $700,000 . Yeah for a freaking RUG!

This exactly retail store told me they will price the YBR at $15 to 18k.

1) They rope off the game, and tell you its super limited, very special edition game. Which it is technically.

2) They offer things you don't get typically, 1 year warranty, they come to your house to fix it, they offer delivery and what they call WHITE GLOVE installation. This same store I'm talking about sold a Guardians of the Galaxy Pro for $8500 with the same treatment. I know because I bought the game from that lady for $4800 bucks. I got all the paperwork.

There are retail stores like this all over the place. People with a lot of money like the services such as white glove install, warranty, etc.

Why do you find this so hard to understand? I'm not making it up what reason do I have to do that... NONE!

3) Yes JJP has essentially already sold every single unit they're making. This is FACT! They only worked with their retail outlets and as you heard Jack say they're not offer the game for sale. Why do you think that is? The retail outlets bought them all already. I'm NOT saying those games are sold to customers, rather the retail outlets have already claimed like 90% of them already, and probably within the next 14 days they'll all be gone.

So all the haters who said no one will ever buy are dead wrong... those retail outlets already have waiting lists for games like WOZ and Adams Family two miles long. I can promise you the amount they made was probably based on how many their outlets committed to upon shipment.

Nothing Im' saying is wrong so if you don't want to believe fine, you probably also think USA landing on the moon is a hoax. LOL

You act like I'm saying JJP sold 10,003 copies, and they magically made them by working two long days. I mean get real. Deal with facts or don't I don't care.

#374 5 years ago

Thank you DerGoetz. Apologies for the length, lack of paragraphs and spelling errors.

Cliff notes: I think JJP is still finding their way on the business model that works for them.. and that makes it tough as pinball has rabid fan base that tracks all the change that we can see (pricing up, multiple limited editions) Anyhow hoping JJP has some blockbusters that help them keep costs down. More volume means cheaper parts, more fixed OH leverage... more profit $ and better margins.

#375 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

YBR is a stupid $$ cash grab. The pathetic TPF seminar is indicative that they know it and should be embarrassed by it. Where the F is the monkey mech? The wooden apron and radcals are a joke, I would light them on fire before removing a game play feature like the monkey!

Fast forward.

Wonka. Grand Slam
    GNR. Home Run
    Toy Story. Home Run
    Harry Potter. 4 Grand Slams in one game

MR, Iceman

1) Cash Grab: Yeah who cares. Almost every single business in the WORLD goes for Cash Grab. Look at Apple they change essentially NOTHING and say we have a new IPHONE or new IPAD. What is your point? JJP has retail outlets demanding more games, they have waiting lists, the games are sold, why wouldn't you make more if you have outlets willing to take 250 more games? I would do the same thing. Nothing wrong with that.

2) TPF Reveal was not pathetic he answered some questions and handed out some hats and let people look at the game. How exactly is that pathetic again? I'm confused. I will tell you I have it on GOOD authority that the reveal for Wonka will be mind blowing so maybe you'll calm down then!

3) The changes to the apron, playfield with all the glitter that is pretty cool if you ask me, but I already own a WOZ so I won't be buying another. Removing the monkey clearly was done to improve the game from a repair point of view. Nothing wrong there. Man you're losing your mind.

4) Harry Potter lets just be clear no one is getting that license including Stern. There is only one person on planet earth who can approve that and she apparently isn't interested in pinball. No amount of money would probably ever change her mind as she's worth over a billion dollars. She doesn't need the money. Harry Potter pinball will probably never happen ever until maybe after she's gone. So give up on that theme. However finally agree with Wonka, Toy Story and GNR will do well for them.

Can you STOP bashing JJP and give it a rest seriously!

#376 5 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

Seriously I'm wasting my time its like talking to a wall. Yes what I said was a fact not an opinion.
    As I clearly explained you fall into a group of buy, sell, trade. If you go into one of these high end showrooms they'll ask $15,000 for an Adams Family. Would I ever pay that NO, would you YOU, NO! Neither one of us are that stupid. I already posted here another fact, that a high end store I know about sold two Pirates a few weeks ago, both for $12,500.00 each. In case you're not aware those LE are $9500 on JJP website. This same store also has a RUG from Turkey or Iran or something, they're asking 1 million dollars. The salesman told me they turned down a $600,000 offer on it... I asked what would it take they said probably $700,000 . Yeah for a freaking RUG!
    1) They rope off the game, and tell you its super limited, very special edition game. Which it is technically.
    2) They offer things you don't get typically, 1 year warranty, they come to your house to fix it, they offer delivery and what they call WHITE GLOVE installation. This same store I'm talking about sold a Guardians of the Galaxy Pro for $8500 with the same treatment. I know because I bought the game from that lady for $4800 bucks. I got all the paperwork.
    There are retail stores like this all over the place. People with a lot of money like the services such as white glove install, warranty, etc.
    Why do you find this so hard to understand? I'm not making it up what reason do I have to do that... NONE!
    3) Yes JJP has essentially already sold every single unit they're making. This is FACT! They only worked with their retail outlets and as you heard Jack say they're not offer the game for sale. Why do you think that is? The retail outlets bought them all already. I'm NOT saying those games are sold to customers, rather the retail outlets have already claimed like 90% of them already, and probably within the next 14 days they'll all be gone.
    So all the haters who said no one will ever buy are dead wrong... those retail outlets already have waiting lists for games like WOZ and Adams Family two miles long. I can promise you the amount they made was probably based on how many their outlets committed to upon shipment.
    Nothing Im' saying is wrong so if you don't want to believe fine, you probably also think USA landing on the moon is a hoax. LOL
    You act like I'm saying JJP sold 10,003 copies, and they magically made them by working two long days. I mean get real. Deal with facts or don't I don't care.

Nobody cares what the high end place charges as part of this conversation because it does not have any bearing on the amount of money that JJP makes off these games. JJP is still getting their wholesale price, which is much less than 15-18k because JJP is retailing the game through regular distributors for 11.5k. I think what most people are saying is that this represents a cash grab for JJP by selling less game for more money, or represents that JJP is using this as a way to raise cash.

#377 5 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

this represents a cash grab for JJP

The debate on what someone pays for the game thru those retail outlets is being doubted. Those people clearly are stuck in the pinside bubble. You're right JJP is going to get their price, and those high end retailers will get what they can sell it for. You're 110% correct, but people will sell the game for the prices I listed.

JJP made more games because their retailers are asking for more of the games. Those places have waiting lists for that game which is why they did it... as for a cash grab who cares? Didn't Stern make new versions of ACDC who cares. That has nothing to do with anything. JJP has bills just like everyone else this is America right?

Who cares if they do the cash grab for every game they have... if there is demand and you can pre-sell them why not. Nothing wrong with that.

#378 5 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

So tell us the name of this store.

#379 5 years ago

This thread is now...well...frightening.

1E04BBC7-4BA6-4D64-B082-69552E3185AF.gif1E04BBC7-4BA6-4D64-B082-69552E3185AF.gif
    #380 5 years ago

I cannot make myself believe that JJP will do GNR. I would absolutely love it if they did but with as few games as they release, this doesn’t make much sense to me. Seems like a pretty small market. Yet, pinside seems to be pretty accurate on new releases. What am I missing her guys?

#381 5 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

There is an old saying, 'You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink'
    Jack who started JJP, had no experience as a mass production company of games. Jack had a dream, he set up a company, hired American's to build that dream with him. WOZ was the biggest game changer for pinball's comeback than any game in history. Love JJP or hate them you can't deny that. JJP was great for Stern and the entire industry. JJP like every pinball company has made mistakes, but give credit where its due, he's still here and still producing great games.
    The crimes in this industry haven't been committed by Stern or JJP, but rather the here one day and gone the next companies who stole your money.
    More start up companies will attempt to make a pinball game, and probably will fail, but as the other old saying goes 'YOU NEVER KNOW'.
    JJP, like Stern is an American made product, hiring Americans to manufacture in a time and age where most manufacturing jobs have left for China.
    Any company Stern, JJP, American Pinball, anyone producing their games in the USA deserves credit, even if you think their latest game sucks to high heaven. If you don't like something DO NOT BUY IT!
    JJP does things his way, every game created from scratch, new concept each time, which means slow grinding process to market. Stern has their system refined, has the ability to design games much faster, but clearly no where near as innovative. Pros and cons to both styles, neither to be trashed if you like the end result.
    What I find SICK and DISGUSTING is how some people feel the need to tear down JJP at every single turn, and start ridiculous threads where they offer OPINIONS as FACTS! When they're wrong and they get called out, the other haters just jump in trashing you. I can tell you my feelings aren't hurt one bit... I'm not here for my health I'm pointing out JJP is a great American made product and deserves more respect than threads like this one.
    The only people on this thread who're bashing people are the ones who support the idea that JJP is somehow bad for the industry... that is how you come across. You come across like you would throw a party if they announced tomorrow they are going bankrupt. This is a very sad situation that some people almost like PAID protesters find new ways every week to tear down this company.
    You constantly state OPINIONS as they're facts, your wrong someone like myself points that out and I'm the jerk.
    People should be HAPPY we have more than ONE company making pinball and trying to make it work. Competition is great and without it then and only then will you understand how dark your passion can get when it comes to innovation, new products, and more.
    Just saying... last week I saw someone post personal attacks against Jack himself, making fun of him personally, why? Jack was a pinball guy a player and he turned that passion into a start up business. That is an American success story that should be appreciated.
    That is my view. I'm done with giving life to this thread. I will support JJP because they support this hobby and American workers who need their job to pay their bills, feed their families, who give their best every day for YOUR PASSION for PINBALL!
    Not every game JJP makes or every price point you will like or agree with, but JJP has to do what they need to do for their company to THRIVE and its NOT ANY of our business how they run their company. When you find the opportunity to buy something they offer do it, when you don't, no reason to trash them up and down and back around again.
    Just saying!

Whysnow?

#382 5 years ago
    Quoted from tslayer71:

Ya winning at being an ass clown....

too funny!!!

#383 5 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

We need to separate what knowledgeable Pinside people will spend on a pin (regardless of income) vs what a rich non-Pinside person will spend. Pinside people are looking at a new version with less stuff for more money and laughing.

Sure but then why would JJP release YBR at a pinball enthusiast seminar filled with pinsiders? Someone did not think this through.

+1 to Stern here for releasing BKSOR a couple of days after show. Something JJP should have considered.

Instead, JJP trips over themselves leaving a wake of confusion just weeks before WW. They couldn’t have worse timing if they tried.

#384 5 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

why would JJP release YBR at a pinball enthusiast seminar filled with pinsiders?

JJP usually does a seminar at TPF. And as luck would have it, JJP had something new to show.

Since JJP is in NJ and has an office in Chicago. They went to a lot of trouble to get the game to TPF. So the seminar could be a little more than a seminar.

LTG : )

#385 5 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

Sure but then why would JJP release YBR at a pinball enthusiast seminar filled with pinsiders? Someone did not think this through.
    +1 to Stern here for releasing BKSOR a couple of days after show. Something JJP should have considered.
    Instead, JJP trips over themselves leaving a wake of confusion just weeks before WW. They couldn’t have worse timing if they tried.

JJP”s marketing strategy is a mystery. If only there was a marketing guru/pinball aficionado they could work with...

#386 5 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

The debate on what someone pays for the game thru those retail outlets is being doubted. Those people clearly are stuck in the pinside bubble. You're right JJP is going to get their price, and those high end retailers will get what they can sell it for. You're 110% correct, but people will sell the game for the prices I listed.
    JJP made more games because their retailers are asking for more of the games. Those places have waiting lists for that game which is why they did it... as for a cash grab who cares? Didn't Stern make new versions of ACDC who cares. That has nothing to do with anything. JJP has bills just like everyone else this is America right?
    Who cares if they do the cash grab for every game they have... if there is demand and you can pre-sell them why not. Nothing wrong with that.

Not going to disagree with anything in this post. I am sure some shops are going to price thins high and put the white glove treatment in place. I think some are question the wait lists based upon current available inventory and the fact that this allotment did not go all to specialty retail.

#387 5 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

Or possibly they did this at the show so When Wonka arrives you feel like you got a Smoking steal of a deal! Lol JK! While YBR isn’t for me or my budget I was glad to see/meet the majority of the JJP team there to meet their customers. As long as they were not making me buy the game who am I to question their business plan? I am in on Wonka as I was pirates and was pleased to hear this time they will announce when they are On the line! Smart play and looking forward to it.

#388 5 years ago

all that and wrong damn thread.

#389 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cserold:

I cannot make myself believe that JJP will do GNR. I would absolutely love it if they did but with as few games as they release, this doesn’t make much sense to me. Seems like a pretty small market. Yet, pinside seems to be pretty accurate on new releases. What am I missing her guys?

Just look at Metallica and ACDC sales....GNR is in the same league....music and pinball work well...

#390 5 years ago

The JJP bashing is embarrassing already. They don’t appear to have an interest in competing on the low end of the spectrum. The themes are ****, delivery to slow, prices to high, blah blah blah. The amount of crying and whining is overwhelming. We get it YBR offended you, but how many new games will be released in 2019? It’s ok you don’t love em all.

I think JJP is making the highest quality, using the best toys, and utilizing deeper code than the competition.

Wonka will be BIG, stop hating its unbecoming .

#391 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

So tell us the name of this store.

Aminis

Everything there is way overpriced.

#392 5 years ago
    Quoted from Greenandwhite:

The JJP bashing is embarrassing already. They don’t appear to have an interest in competing on the low end of the spectrum. The themes are ****, delivery to slow, prices to high, blah blah blah. The amount of crying and whining is overwhelming. We get it YBR offended you, but how many new games will be released in 2019? It’s ok you don’t love em all.
    I think JJP is making the highest quality, using the best toys, and utilizing deeper code than the competition.
    Wonka will be BIG, stop hating its unbecoming .

Your point is JJP is awesome so stop criticizing specifc points about any particular game or seminar etc. Thanks for your contribution which contains no comments or opinions on any specifics we are discussing but rather a suggestion to stop discussion.

Nobody hates JJP, we are mostly fans who are questioning certain decisions. For example, the way pirates was released could have been better so we talk about it and hope they will do better in the future. For example, that JJP learn that mech removal for WOZ is almost sacriligeous and pinball enthusiasts in general can’t stand the idea. We wish the best for JJP so we discuss these things - that’s all. I agree, WW should be great and looking forward to it.

Now, how do you feel about the monkey being removed from future versions of WOZ if you wanted to buy one?

#393 5 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

There are retail stores like this all over the place. People with a lot of money like the services such as white glove install, warranty, etc. Why do you find this so hard to understand? I'm not making it up what reason do I have to do that... NONE!

I don't doubt that there are high end retail stores, million dollar rugs, or dumb rich people. None of those things had anything to do with my previous post.

Quoted from drfrightner:

Yes JJP has essentially already sold every single unit they're making. This is FACT!

This sentence illustrates my simple point. Why do all of your facts have qualifying adverbs in them, essentially?

Quoted from drfrightner:

Nothing Im' saying is wrong so if you don't want to believe fine

It has nothing to do with believing you or not. It's about letting you know that most people, on this site or anywhere, can differentiate between amusing anecdotes and facts.

#394 5 years ago

Opinions are great but the negativity is really something. Pinball is a hobby we all enjoy, I just don’t spend my time bashing pins I don’t care for and trolling posts related to those games.

There is an amazing knowledge base on these boards but the same gripes and criticisms wear thin.

No, not looking for a WOZ with or without a monkey. Beautiful game but not my fav to flip.

#395 5 years ago

Don't call Willy Wonka WW...call it WONK

#396 5 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

MR, Iceman

Can you STOP bashing JJP and give it a rest seriously!

You have left me speechless Dr. See my "fast forward" comment above. What does that mean to you?

I feel like you should first of all take a chill pill and relax, secondly, re read what you write and edit appropriately, third, brevity is your friend.

There isn't a prize for word count.

Fourth, tone matters. The bull in a china closet doesn't work so well

Finally, FACT: Quit digging your own grave deeper and deeper.

#397 5 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Don't call Willy Wonka WW...call it WONK

I heard JJP was rereleasing White Water. What’s this Willy Wonk you speak of?

#398 5 years ago

Does anyone remember those halcyon days when Bally, Williams, and Gottlieb put out pins and we just sat around and argued about which was more fun? Because we didnt have the $100 to buy an old dead EM route queen, or dream about a NIB? We didn’t even have a concept that these could even be purchased. They had to be made out of gold to be able to generate as much cash as they did. Afford a pinball machine? And mint my own money how? We were clueless.

#399 5 years ago

Iceman,

I’m not digging my own grave because you can’t deal with facts. When I think about the dumb things you say it reminds me of that movie airplane... where everyone on the plane tries to kill themselves from listening to the star of the movie tell his stories. Everything you say is a story because you can’t handle the truth quote from another famous movie. Maybe JJP should make that movie into a pinball JUST FOR YOU BROTHER! LOL

#400 5 years ago

JJP is getting beat up over YBR in this thread more then the crap Stern pulled with Beatles Platinum and Diamond. Both of those games cost $2500 - $8500 more then YBR and come with 1/4 as many featues, half the build quality and 1/10 of the code (that's being generous). All 3 of those games are way over priced but if you want to talk about offering 0 value with a cash grab game look at Stern.

Also, I guess who cares about YBR, and Beatles Platinum / Diamond type games. Pinside and the average pinball owner is not the target audience for those games.

Yes, YBR is a cash crab but it's not JJP's next flagship game, doesn't represent their new pricing all of a sudden, and for the love of pinball it doesn't mean JJP is hurting for money. Time to move on.

There are 602 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-current-take-on-jjp-pinball-after-tpf/page/8?hl=welovescott and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.