(Topic ID: 239358)

My current take on JJP pinball after TPF....

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 602 posts
  • 142 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Lamprey
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ED0AC495-264C-41DC-9B67-30D36705F8AD.gif
    06D0C3DB-AD68-488A-9F6F-062FAA3872A5 (resized).jpeg
    20190324_092443 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 1.37.g00 PM (resized).png
    wonka_glp_banner (resized).jpeg
    occ_meme (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    mirror (resized).jpg
    pitchforks.gif
    1E04BBC7-4BA6-4D64-B082-69552E3185AF.gif
    giphy.gif
    1_8xraf6eyaXh-myNXOXkqLA (resized).jpeg
    all-or-nothing (resized).jpg
    333271AB-636A-4710-86D0-4A0A240097D7.gif
    20190327_181251 (resized).jpg
    There are 602 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 13.
    #301 5 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Well your side sounds pretty black and white

No just offering facts. Fact YBR will sell for 15 to 18k at many high end retail stores, where delivery and set up is offered. Fact basically every single YBR game is already sold to those very same high end retailers. So the doom and gloom JJP haters, can go sulk knowing those facts.

WOZ is not a game competing against the very awesome brand new Black Knight, it appeals to a different group the same way the Beatles sold for upwards of 20k. I'm offering facts... nothing black or white just facts.

If you dispute something I'm stating offer facts or evidence. We can debate it.

Fact only 1000 ish WOZ games are claimed by pinsiders, we know over or near 5000 games have sold that is only 20%. Adams Family 20k games produced only 1760 pinsiders claim the game... so FACT pinside is only a small group of pinball owners. So that should make you understand there is a WORLD outside this forum, with different buyers, and different sellers.

These are just facts not black or white.

An opinion which I have as well is that Pirates is the GOAT, or Black Knight looks amazing, or I'm not a fan of TNA.

You could feel the opposite and I respect everyone's OPINIONS but when someone states I'm an idiot because I state a fact, well you're doing just that stating an opinion without a fact to back it up.

YBR will sell at high end retail locations for up to $18k bank on it (with the perks the retailer offers like deliver, warranty, and set up)

Something a guy like you or me would NEVER pay for!

#302 5 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

Dude you make me laugh no doubt about it... first I didn't say WOZ was the most sought after game. Clearly you misunderstood what I was saying. Clearly very low production games like Big Lebowski are more sought after because you can't hardly get one. They have made 5,000 copies of WOZ.
    The single most value muscle car EVER isn't a Mustang, its a 1971 Plymouth Cuda Hemi Convertible because there is only 12 known to exist... I watched an auction where this car sold for nearly 4 million dollars. Think about how many pinball games you could buy.
    So obviously the games with the most limited runs, the hardest to find are by far the most sought after by PINBALL collectors. I'm not talking about PINBALL collectors, I'm talking about the rich guy who spends a fortune decking out a game room, his garage, or whatever. That person isn't going to buy some game in bad condition, and he's not going door to door either. He's going to a HIGH END retail location, pay the money for something MINT and not think twice. The Pinball Company has restored games they're asking nearly 20k for YOU PERSONALLY would NEVER pay that... but someone will. The person who wants instant gratification, no hassles, delivered, with a warranty.
    Secondly, you say I've only been around a year, now that is just stupid. I bought my first pinball games over 20 years ago, back when you could buy Creature from the Black Lagoon for $800.00. Just because I wasn't wasting away like you on a pinball forum, doesn't mean anything. I actually own a business and work like every day! As I'm slowing down a bit do I find time for this.
    Let me make ONE last point to you... pinside doesn't represent the pinball industry sorry to inform you!
    See I talk facts not FICTION like you...
    On pinside only 1000 roughly people CLAIM they own a WOZ that would account for about 1/5 of the games sold. Where is the other 80% brother?
    Not on pinside!
    Adams Family shows 1760 people claim to own one... where is the other roughly 18,000 copies and don't say destroyed?
    There are people on these forums EVERY SINGLE DAY they buy pinball games for cheap, from people who never heard of pinside, refurb and resell.
    Here is the point, PINSIDE has maybe 20% of the people viewing this site who own pinballs. That is a good number no dispute but don't think this BUBBLE you live in is an entire industry because its NOT!
    I would bet that 90% of the people who own bowling centers, FEC, amusement parks who might own a pinball never heard of this forum.
    Just check yourself into reality brother. This is a fun place to chat about games but its not the WHOLE WORLD!

You know, your points would be much better received if you would stop making every one of your posts into a personal attack.

#303 5 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

That was over a week before TPF. All signs of Pirates FS are near gone. All his games were sold at the show his booth was amazing. Not looking to prove you wrong just stating this game is all but gone for a while and I’m glad I got one.

Fair enough my friend!

#304 5 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:I come from 25 years of furniture manufacturing and retailing.
    Whenever we had a massive seller, our first response was “let’s stop making them and stop taking the money”
    No. We never did that.
    If something is selling well - we made them around the clock until they sold no more!!
    As would any business person.
    rd

Good for you. Not sure what that has to do with the logistics of pinball parts sourcing from overseas and planning production schedules, game releases etc.

#305 5 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

Fact YBR will sell for 15 to 18k at many high end retail stores, where delivery and set up is offered. Fact basically every single YBR game is already sold to those very same high end retailers. So the doom and gloom JJP haters, can go sulk knowing those facts.

If this is a fact, and there is a honeyhole for JJP to sell pins for this market, and YBR was not for the pinball show crowd, then it was a mistake to announce it at TPF. Just like Blizzard announcing a mobile game in front of a bunch of hardcore PC gamers.

#306 5 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

If this is a fact, and there is a honeyhole for JJP to sell pins for this market, and YBR was not for the pinball show crowd, then it was a mistake to announce it at TPF. Just like Blizzard announcing a mobile game in front of a bunch of hardcore PC gamers.

I agree with you 110%. There shouldn't have been a reveal for the game because honestly its a game we've already seen now over multiple versions. Now this one is probably the coolest but if you're not selling the game direct and you're already more or less sold out already to retailers then whats the point? I think people got upset about the reveal because it wasn't WONKA ... the idea that his YBR reveal was a disaster is in fact a joke. There was nothing wrong with him answering questions about the game, or talking about Pirates, or whatever.

People got upset because why do a reveal on WOZ where is WONKA.

I agree with you 110%.

#307 5 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

You know, your points would be much better received if you would stop making every one of your posts into a personal attack.

Listen brother, I offer facts, and I can back them all up. Many people who're not in the amusement industry but live in the pinside bubble just aren't aware. I'm fully understanding that, and yes doesn't mean because I know something and someone else doesn't makes them dumb or a moron. I totally agree with that, but I'm offering this board insight, facts, they're not aware of and I'm the one getting attacked for it. How many people are telling me I don't know anything because I stated a fact that many retailers will sell this WOZ game for a fortune, way above the suggested retail.

I know for a FACT that a retailer just sold two POTC games for $12,500 each... just a couple weeks ago.

That same retailer told me they're going to put the new YBR game up for $18,000.00... I'm NOT making this up.

So why do people ATTACK me for telling you something that is 110% fact? I saw retailers selling Emerald editions for $13,000 just a bit over a year ago... why do people doubt this? How did a Beatles game sell for a reported $25k? Can anyone sit here and be honest and say Beatles was worth anything close to that number? But it sold!

There are more people out there buying and selling things than on pinside.

My intentions is not to insult anyone just offer some information. But honestly when people start threads like this with the SOLE purpose of TRASHING a great American Made Company, well that to me is the ULTIMATE insult.

You know REAL people work at JJP, support their families working there and they make pinball games. What is cooler than that?

So yes there are some REAL LOSERS on here who just love tearing down a company. its wrong and if I feel the need I will hammer them right back! Support JJP because they make their games in America, they love pinball, and just because every move they make isn't to your liking doesn't mean you need to TRASH THEM!

#308 5 years ago
    Quoted from KingPinGames:

I actually bought 20... and sold every one of them. I am completely sold out of all of my CE and LE. At this time I have 2 SE available and that's it!

I’m glad to hear that Chris. It is an incredible game.

#309 5 years ago
    Quoted from Eryeal:

Very, very rarely would you ever see a company lower prices simply because things are cheaper to make. That's not how business works. Greater efficiency and cost reduction = more profit, not = reduce prices.

Bro, this is Pinside! Don’t you dare speak in reason. Best line yet in this thread was “Jack is all about the money”. No sh** Sherlock. He’s the CEO of a private equity backed company. Feel feel to believe that he’s not making the right decisions for the long term viability of his company but this whole “all about the money” mentality is comical.

#310 5 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

Listen brother, I offer facts, and I can back them all up. Many people who're not in the amusement industry but live in the pinside bubble just aren't aware. I'm fully understanding that, and yes doesn't mean because I know something and someone else doesn't makes them dumb or a moron. I totally agree with that, but I'm offering this board insight, facts, they're not aware of and I'm the one getting attacked for it. How many people are telling me I don't know anything because I stated a fact that many retailers will sell this WOZ game for a fortune, way above the suggested retail.
    I know for a FACT that a retailer just sold two POTC games for $12,500 each... just a couple weeks ago.
    That same retailer told me they're going to put the new YBR game up for $18,000.00... I'm NOT making this up.
    So why do people ATTACK me for telling you something that is 110% fact? I saw retailers selling Emerald editions for $13,000 just a bit over a year ago... why do people doubt this? How did a Beatles game sell for a reported $25k? Can anyone sit here and be honest and say Beatles was worth anything close to that number? But it sold!
    There are more people out there buying and selling things than on pinside.
    My intentions is not to insult anyone just offer some information. But honestly when people start threads like this with the SOLE purpose of TRASHING a great American Made Company, well that to me is the ULTIMATE insult.
    You know REAL people work at JJP, support their families working there and they make pinball games. What is cooler than that?
    So yes there are some REAL LOSERS on here who just love tearing down a company. its wrong and if I feel the need I will hammer them right back! Support JJP because they make their games in America, they love pinball, and just because every move they make isn't to your liking doesn't mean you need to TRASH THEM!

You come on here with a big ego and are extremely arrogant. It is a little disingenuous to think that just because you know someone who sold a game, that the entire market must be exactly the same through and through. Maybe if you toned the rhetoric down a notch and just stated the facts, you would actually help educate all us there nitwit losers on here on understanding your point of view. The personal attacks need to stop.

#311 5 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

You come on here with a big ego and are extremely arrogant. It is a little disingenuous to think that just because you know someone who sold a game, that the entire market must be exactly the same through and through. Maybe if you toned the rhetoric down a notch and just stated the facts, you would actually help educate all us there nitwit losers on here on understanding your point of view. The personal attacks need to stop.

The personal attacks are clearly against an entire company which is very very very sad. Saying there are a lot of spoiled brats would be an understatement when you read some of the trivial comments made against an American made product. Very sad! I've even seen people on these forums make personal attacks against Jack himself, what is this guy doing but making pinball games his way. Respect JJP, Stern and everyone else the same. Hold each company to the same standard.

SLAM JJP because they're selling WOZ for $11,500 when Beatles which isn't even HALF the game is going for a reported $25,000. What a joke!

Who cares what the games sell for, if you don't like the price don't buy it! PERIOD!

Go find yourself a different game! But trashing an entire company, who employs American workers building games for this industry, which is small with limited number of suppliers is just from my perspective not responsible.

#312 5 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

Good for you. Not sure what that has to do with the logistics of pinball parts sourcing from overseas and planning production schedules, game releases etc.

You are pretty obtuse if you can’t see the high level comparison to what JJP is going with WOZ.

#313 5 years ago

iceman44 how about a friendly $500 bet that JJP will not release another POTC version. We can make it a year timeline. Two years if you like. Set those outlook reminders and if we are still alive, one side pays up. What do you say? I’ll even give you 2 to 1 odds

#314 5 years ago

Just for the record I believe Jack will definitely build more POTC however it will be another version with a higher price and additional features that are not worth it.

I truly believe the games total cost was higher than expected as crazy as that sounds and they decided to end it. I also think the extra features stripped from it (the circles and truck) - although not inaccurate they will cause more problems to maintain, were primarily removed due to cost. Not even that removal made it worth it to Jack.

No one stops building a game people want unless you're not making enough money.

#315 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cserold:

iceman44 how about a friendly $500 bet that JJP will not release another POTC version. We can make it a year timeline. Two years if you like. Set those outlook reminders and if we are still alive, one side pays up. What do you say? I’ll even give you 2 to 1 odds

DAMN! Lol that's awesome. Hell I would take that bet if I didn't just buy and get a Pirates LE delivered yesterday, pinball budget is gone!

#316 5 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

This statement by you goes to show YOU KNOW NOTHING about pinball. There are THREE different groups that buy pinball. You clearly are in one group where you mostly trade for games changing some cash as well. Probably 90% of the people who are diehard pinball people buy and trade games every day, but the guy who spends 15 to 18k for this YBR edition will buy the game and will never sell it, and hardly ever play it.
    People with a lot of money buy things because they can, what else do they do with their money? WOZ is by far the most detailed, themed, beautiful, nostalgic pinball game EVER MADE. WOZ is the Mono Lisa of pinball, and HIGH END RETAIL stores ones that sell HIGH END game room stuff, million dollar rugs (seriously), or $200,000 chandeliers, will sell this game for 15 to 18,000 easy.
    You sit here and say what you said without even thinking about the Beatles fan who paid $20,000 plus for a Beatles game worth 5k really. So I think its the other way around its you who doesn't know anything.
    The second buyer is a location buyers, who mostly buys PRO stern games, the cheapest model. The last buyers group is more of a collector group, they all have something in common they have a lot of money. They probably collect many things, from muscle cars, to what knows what, and buying a very limited edition game for their fancy garage, or game room is nothing.
    Just because you're in the buy, sell, trade group who thinks NO ONE would pay this amount for a pinball, doesn't mean people won't. Get yourself out of the box you're trapped in because you're a totally clueless.
    Beatles limited editions sold as its been reported up to 25k, yes that sounds insane totally... so why wouldn't the most beloved movie of all time with a limited edition plague sell for the same? Its you not thinking straight not me.
    Once this goes on sale at one of the high end places around here, I'm going to take a picture and SHOW YOU!
    The same place I'm talking about HERE also sold TWO Pirates LE for $12,500 each. Yeah you heard that right!
    This same store told me they got some Black Knight LE and they will be selling those for 12k as well.
    Those places offer warranty up to a year, they do this thing called WHITE GLOVE where they bring it to your house set it up, blah, blah... where you on the other hand are just like tear the box apart like its Christmas.
    IT IS CLEARLY TWO DIFFERENT TYPES OF BUYERS BROTHER!
    WOZ WILL SELL IN SOME PLACES FOR UP TO $18,000 you'll see!
    Lastly, the people who think this game isn't going to sell, I have my sources its basically already sold out to their retail outlets. If you can muster up enough common sense, listen to what Jack said... THEY ARE NOT SELLING THE GAME DIRECT! Why? Because the game is basically already SOLD!
    The main reason why some JJP have a tough time selling is the PRICE... everyone hear bitches about the price. Well retailers complain about not getting enough cut like compared to Stern. But with a game like WOZ they don't care because they're going to JACK UP THE PRICE and make more money off one WOZ game than TWO Stern Pro's.
    How can they do that? Well because they can easy game to sell to the rich person who will pay for EVERYTHING to have something as limited as this.
    You just need to embrace the REALITY there is more than ONE side to pinball.

Stop capitalizing half your broken sentences. It makes your rants sound even crazier.

#317 5 years ago

There is an old saying, 'You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink'

Jack who started JJP, had no experience as a mass production company of games. Jack had a dream, he set up a company, hired American's to build that dream with him. WOZ was the biggest game changer for pinball's comeback than any game in history. Love JJP or hate them you can't deny that. JJP was great for Stern and the entire industry. JJP like every pinball company has made mistakes, but give credit where its due, he's still here and still producing great games.

The crimes in this industry haven't been committed by Stern or JJP, but rather the here one day and gone the next companies who stole your money.

More start up companies will attempt to make a pinball game, and probably will fail, but as the other old saying goes 'YOU NEVER KNOW'.

JJP, like Stern is an American made product, hiring Americans to manufacture in a time and age where most manufacturing jobs have left for China.

Any company Stern, JJP, American Pinball, anyone producing their games in the USA deserves credit, even if you think their latest game sucks to high heaven. If you don't like something DO NOT BUY IT!

JJP does things his way, every game created from scratch, new concept each time, which means slow grinding process to market. Stern has their system refined, has the ability to design games much faster, but clearly no where near as innovative. Pros and cons to both styles, neither to be trashed if you like the end result.

What I find SICK and DISGUSTING is how some people feel the need to tear down JJP at every single turn, and start ridiculous threads where they offer OPINIONS as FACTS! When they're wrong and they get called out, the other haters just jump in trashing you. I can tell you my feelings aren't hurt one bit... I'm not here for my health I'm pointing out JJP is a great American made product and deserves more respect than threads like this one.

The only people on this thread who're bashing people are the ones who support the idea that JJP is somehow bad for the industry... that is how you come across. You come across like you would throw a party if they announced tomorrow they are going bankrupt. This is a very sad situation that some people almost like PAID protesters find new ways every week to tear down this company.

You constantly state OPINIONS as they're facts, your wrong someone like myself points that out and I'm the jerk.

People should be HAPPY we have more than ONE company making pinball and trying to make it work. Competition is great and without it then and only then will you understand how dark your passion can get when it comes to innovation, new products, and more.

Just saying... last week I saw someone post personal attacks against Jack himself, making fun of him personally, why? Jack was a pinball guy a player and he turned that passion into a start up business. That is an American success story that should be appreciated.

That is my view. I'm done with giving life to this thread. I will support JJP because they support this hobby and American workers who need their job to pay their bills, feed their families, who give their best every day for YOUR PASSION for PINBALL!

Not every game JJP makes or every price point you will like or agree with, but JJP has to do what they need to do for their company to THRIVE and its NOT ANY of our business how they run their company. When you find the opportunity to buy something they offer do it, when you don't, no reason to trash them up and down and back around again.

Just saying!

#318 5 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

There is an old saying, 'You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink'
    Jack who started JJP, had no experience as a mass production company of games. Jack had a dream, he set up a company, hired American's to build that dream with him. WOZ was the biggest game changer for pinball's comeback than any game in history. Love JJP or hate them you can't deny that. JJP was great for Stern and the entire industry. JJP like every pinball company has made mistakes, but give credit where its due, he's still here and still producing great games.
    The crimes in this industry haven't been committed by Stern or JJP, but rather the here one day and gone the next companies who stole your money.
    More start up companies will attempt to make a pinball game, and probably will fail, but as the other old saying goes 'YOU NEVER KNOW'.
    JJP, like Stern is an American made product, hiring Americans to manufacture in a time and age where most manufacturing jobs have left for China.
    Any company Stern, JJP, American Pinball, anyone producing their games in the USA deserves credit, even if you think their latest game sucks to high heaven. If you don't like something DO NOT BUY IT!
    JJP does things his way, every game created from scratch, new concept each time, which means slow grinding process to market. Stern has their system refined, has the ability to design games much faster, but clearly no where near as innovative. Pros and cons to both styles, neither to be trashed if you like the end result.
    What I find SICK and DISGUSTING is how some people feel the need to tear down JJP at every single turn, and start ridiculous threads where they offer OPINIONS as FACTS! When they're wrong and they get called out, the other haters just jump in trashing you. I can tell you my feelings aren't hurt one bit... I'm not here for my health I'm pointing out JJP is a great American made product and deserves more respect than threads like this one.
    The only people on this thread who're bashing people are the ones who support the idea that JJP is somehow bad for the industry... that is how you come across. You come across like you would throw a party if they announced tomorrow they are going bankrupt. This is a very sad situation that some people almost like PAID protesters find new ways every week to tear down this company.
    You constantly state OPINIONS as they're facts, your wrong someone like myself points that out and I'm the jerk.
    People should be HAPPY we have more than ONE company making pinball and trying to make it work. Competition is great and without it then and only then will you understand how dark your passion can get when it comes to innovation, new products, and more.
    Just saying... last week I saw someone post personal attacks against Jack himself, making fun of him personally, why? Jack was a pinball guy a player and he turned that passion into a start up business. That is an American success story that should be appreciated.
    That is my view. I'm done with giving life to this thread. I will support JJP because they support this hobby and American workers who need their job to pay their bills, feed their families, who give their best every day for YOUR PASSION for PINBALL!
    Not every game JJP makes or every price point you will like or agree with, but JJP has to do what they need to do for their company to THRIVE and its NOT ANY of our business how they run their company. When you find the opportunity to buy something they offer do it, when you don't, no reason to trash them up and down and back around again.
    Just saying!

This is a FORUM, everything OFFERED is AN opinion, NOT a FaCt. YOU do NOT know ANYTHING more THAN anyone ELSE, nor ARE your OPINIONS anymore VALID.

#319 5 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

Listen brother, I offer facts,

#320 5 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

Just saying!

Some good points. Both JJP and Stern are making great pins, and have a lot of passion.

Personally I gravitate towards JJP pins because I feel like they have more substance then games from other manufacturers. Those other games are fun but I feel JJP is the company that is most pouring their heart and soul (and the extra money) into creating deep pinball experiences with unique toys, features, high quality animations, and then is coding the hell out of everything they add to the game. I may have to pay a bit more for a JJP but I feel that I end up getting more value for my money compared to a competitors product.

#321 5 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

Just saying!

You sure use a lot of words. I can't read your posts

#322 5 years ago

Hulk Hogan? Is that you?

#324 5 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

This is a FORUM, everything OFFERED is AN opinion, NOT a FaCt. YOU do NOT know ANYTHING more THAN anyone ELSE, nor ARE your OPINIONS anymore VALID.

I get the sentiment here but there are actual words and sentence structures in the English language that folks can use to articulate an option vs. something that is factual...even in anonymous Internet forums (the lowest on the phylum of Personal communication).

After reading the initial post I was scouring the Internet for the Black Pearl edition announcements and pics. Haven’t been keeping up with the hobby the last two months.

#325 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cserold:

For the record, I placed a $50 bet with Mcpin that they will not run another pirates before the license runs out.

#326 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

And the chance to have dinner with Jack and Pat Lawlor. Don't leave that out.
    LTG : )

I did remember the dinner but was not sure it ever happened as I remember a lot of when will the dinner talk happening

#327 5 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

First off, all CE's, Platinums, Diamonds, and Super LE's are cash grabs regardless of the manfucater.
    As for Dialed In CE for $3k more you got higher quality laser etched armour, a mirrored backglass with unique art, dinner with JJP staff, a couple custom code line just for the CE, and the jacket. Still a cash grab regardless. Guess what you get for $7k more for a Beatles Platinum and $12k more for a Beatles Diamond? A mirrored backglass and different color armour. LOL!
    I can do this all day.

First off I have no idea what is in a Beatles game what I do know is a $2000 jump while things are being taken out is BS. Then trying to defend that act by pointing at other money grabs and saying see it's not so bad is just a hot steaming turd of BS

#328 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

I'll never own another one due to the cost.

That has become a big problem as many hardcore JJP fans have said the same thing

#329 5 years ago

Well now I want to go watch stripes again.

#330 5 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

Well now I want to go watch stripes again.

Haha I just bought Stripes, and Scrooged last weekend on DVD-I am trying to collect all of the good 1980's films and I love Bill Murray.

#331 5 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

How is Toy Story outdated and doa? One of the biggest movie franchises of all time. Toy story 3 Made over 1billion at the box office. Toy story 4 comes out in a couple months. JJP needs to capitalize on this. Could be a huge money maker for them if done properly

The Ol' Moviegurment??? Nope. doesn't work as a word and it definitely doesn't guarantee pinball sales but let's take a look. (must resist arrrrrrgh)
    Toy Story 3 (2010) $1 billion WW
    Toy Story 4 (June 2019) $??? ... better hurry
    Pirates whatever? (2011) $1 billion WW
    Pirates whatever? (2017) $788 million WW
    Boy, that is quite interesting. I guess JJPpotc is gonna be a massive hit when released. Would you look at all the money the movies made. Movie sales equal movie sales. To me It's more about staying current, knowing your audience, listening and going with your gut. Jack needs a new gut and ears.
    Your current market at this price point is 40+ year old dudes (sorry) with 9k-12.5k to burn that have a ton of other solid choices and you think releasing a machine based on a softcore animated movie from 1995 about two toys with a song called "you've got a friend in me" is good idea?
    JJP can't afford another miss, they need a hit that's gonna sell volume to right the ship after the pirates debacle. Toy Story is a miss.
    Not to mention people that were thinking about going in on future JJP titles are probably questioning where to spend their money after the $11.5k stripped down banana Woz ridiculousness.

#332 5 years ago

If JJP wants to sell in larger quantities they need to lower the price of their games. Personally I want to see a $7k - $7.5k Wonka from JJP as the standard model. Game would be slightly scaled back but would still offer the same great code depth and build quality. JJP can still add a bunch of extras to create $9k and $10k LE's and CE's if they want.

#333 5 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

You actually read his posts?

#334 5 years ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

Hulk Hogan? Is that you?

#335 5 years ago

I have been trying to understand Jacks decisions on Production, game choice, reveal strategies, marketing ploys, and sales gimmics for YEARS, and this is my take on them. For every right thing JJP does, they turn around and do a wrong thing that undercuts the rightness of the first decision. A sort of 2 steps forward, 1 step back aproach to pinball. Although the way forward continues, they slip and fall back. Same scenario with YBR, there has to be a reason they need a short term cash infusion and building WOZ machines for the ultra high end consumer, who could not care less about a missing monkey mech or castle door, is like printing money. But for that step forward, revealing it a TPF to the average pinhead hobbiest, and IF the machines were mostly sold out already to retailers, then that was a half step back fail that completes the pattern.

I have played JJP’s games, but I have never owned one, and cost and theme was always a factor against them. I am willing to pay more for a quality product, but the YBR version of WOZ wasnt built for me, I am not it’s target market, and revealing it to me at TPF was so uninteresting, I didn’t even go to the reveal, I went and played some pinball. My ears will prick up when I smell chocolate.

#336 5 years ago

I’ve only ever played a WOZ prototype as far as JJP pins are concerned. I’m interested in checking out TH and possibly owning one if I like it enough. I also think Toy Story could be cool and hopefully it’s not 10k for a standard. I have young kids and am starting to want to get games with them in mind.

As far as the rest of the conversation, people have been saying JJP is in trouble for years yet he’s still here. I don’t really care what they make and how much they sell for. It’s a business and they do what the can to make money, good for them. Same with Stern. If you don’t like the product or the price then move on.

#337 5 years ago
    Quoted from YZRider926:

I don’t really care what they make and how much they sell for.

I would say that many of us on pinside do care. I’m a fan of pinball and care very much in fact - about JJP, about the industry and right down to a specific rule or mech.

We are enthusiasts because we are enthusiastic when things are great and complain when we think things are not so great. What remains a mystery to me is why there are so many status-quo, don’t care, leave them alone posts?

Has there been some cultural shift in recent years where ‘not caring’ is a flag to be waved with pride?

#338 5 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

You actually read his posts?

1_8xraf6eyaXh-myNXOXkqLA (resized).jpeg1_8xraf6eyaXh-myNXOXkqLA (resized).jpeg

#339 5 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

Has there been some cultural shift in recent years where ‘not caring’ is a flag to be waved with pride?

Yes, it is waved like a white flag of surrender, except they are waving it before the war has even begun. Like a shield against trolls or tin hats... I dont care about subject X so dont attack me, I surrender.

#340 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

Yes, it is waved like a white flag of surrender, except they are waving it before the war has even begun. Like a shield against trolls or tin hats... I dont care about subject X so dont attack me, I surrender.

Makes sense.

I have much more respect for those that I totally disagree with in this hobby because at least they are passionate about the hobby and are expressing some content or viewpoints.

I’ve noticed especially recently that apologists, shills and status-qo-ers actually just repeat the same thing post after post - there is actually no content at all, no thought, no opinions, nothing. Even the cynics at least sometimes try to make us laugh. Ultimatley that is the most uninteresting thing of all to read, much worse than an specific opinion that I disagree with.

If after the YBR reveal, all you have to say is “they are a business and they need to make money”, regardless of whether they hit it out of the park or if it was a complete disaster, then why post anything at all? Your post has no relationship with the actual event.

#341 5 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

No just offering facts. Fact YBR will sell for 15 to 18k at many high end retail stores, where delivery and set up is offered. Fact basically every single YBR game is already sold to those very same high end retailers. So the doom and gloom JJP haters, can go sulk knowing those facts.
    WOZ is not a game competing against the very awesome brand new Black Knight, it appeals to a different group the same way the Beatles sold for upwards of 20k. I'm offering facts... nothing black or white just facts.
    If you dispute something I'm stating offer facts or evidence. We can debate it.
    Fact only 1000 ish WOZ games are claimed by pinsiders, we know over or near 5000 games have sold that is only 20%. Adams Family 20k games produced only 1760 pinsiders claim the game... so FACT pinside is only a small group of pinball owners. So that should make you understand there is a WORLD outside this forum, with different buyers, and different sellers.
    These are just facts not black or white.
    An opinion which I have as well is that Pirates is the GOAT, or Black Knight looks amazing, or I'm not a fan of TNA.
    You could feel the opposite and I respect everyone's OPINIONS but when someone states I'm an idiot because I state a fact, well you're doing just that stating an opinion without a fact to back it up.
    YBR will sell at high end retail locations for up to $18k bank on it (with the perks the retailer offers like deliver, warranty, and set up)
    Something a guy like you or me would NEVER pay for!

Who knows maybe somebody with stupid money will pay that, but I would say 99% of the people who buy pinball machines wouldn't pay close to that amount....people with money don't make stupid decisions even if its a pinball machine. Most if not all will do some level of research to make sure the retailer is somewhat competitive...most people with dough are always focused on the "art of the deal"...its part of their DNA

#342 5 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Who knows maybe somebody with stupid money will pay that, but I would say 99% of the people who buy pinball machines wouldn't pay close to that amount....people with money don't make stupid decisions even if its a pinball machine. Most if not all will do some level of research to make sure the retailer is somewhat competitive...most people with dough are always focused on the "art of the deal"...its part of their DNA

This dolt suggests that there is a segment of the population that will perform zero cursory research when spending upwards of 18K on a pinball machine. That sentiment is just not based in reality.

#343 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

This dolt suggests that there is a segment of the population that will perform zero cursory research when spending upwards of 18K on a pinball machine. That sentiment is just not based in reality.

You're just saying that because you don't have a high-end chandelier/pinball boutique in your town.

#344 5 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

You're just saying that because you don't have a high-end chandelier/pinball boutique in your town.

You’re right.

#345 5 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Do they sell chandeliers made of chicken bones from eating dinners at baller ass restaurants?

#346 5 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

No just offering facts. Fact YBR will sell for 15 to 18k at many high end retail stores, where delivery and set up is offered. Fact basically every single YBR game is already sold to those very same high end retailers.

There is absolutely nothing in this statemtent that is a fact.

1) The "fact" that YBR will sell for $15-18k in high end retail stores is a speculation. By definition, you can't know a future fact. The sun will come up tomorrow isn't even a fact! The sun came up this morning is a fact. Even worse is the only basis you have for evidence of your fact is you supposedly have a friend who supposedly has a high end retail store, and he supposedly told you that he will sell it for $18k, supposedly. As you, yourself, illustrated with your pinside analytics, he is more than likely a small proportion of the high end retail market. How could he possibly reflect the actions of the entire high end retail industry?

2) How can a fact start with the general term of basically? And then be followed up with the finite phrase "every single"? Is every single YBR game already sold to those very same high end retailers? If not, then how many? If you don't know that exact number, you don't have the facts.

I know this is a total dick post, but you have repeatedly stated that you're all about facts, and yet you haven't posted a single one. Words matter, especially when you are making statements regarding superior knowledge of a subject.

#347 5 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

And learn to summarize! Who can read all that?!?!
    If it’s longer than a short paragraph, I’m gonna skip it 99% of the time.

#348 5 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

the idea that his YBR reveal was a disaster is in fact a joke.

It's a FACT!!!

Quoted from drfrightner:

Listen brother, I offer facts, and I can back them all up.

..link to distributor selling YBR for 15k+ please. You should have this handy as you know it for a FACT!

#349 5 years ago
    Quoted from SunKing:

It's a FACT!!!

..link to distributor selling YBR for 15k+ please. You should have this handy as you know it for a FACT!

Thanks for calling out this windbag.

#350 5 years ago
    Quoted from SunKing:

Agree, he states he can back everything up "110%" so please do so as if this can't be backed up then everything else stated is subjective!

Quoted from Mike_J:

Thanks for calling out this windbag.

No need to call the guy names. Maybe what he's saying is fact but again we don't know this. A lot of stuff on Pinside is people giving opinions. DR is stating he can back everything up so lets see if it's true!

There are 602 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-current-take-on-jjp-pinball-after-tpf/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.