(Topic ID: 239358)

My current take on JJP pinball after TPF....

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 602 posts
  • 142 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Lamprey
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ED0AC495-264C-41DC-9B67-30D36705F8AD.gif
    06D0C3DB-AD68-488A-9F6F-062FAA3872A5 (resized).jpeg
    20190324_092443 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 1.37.g00 PM (resized).png
    wonka_glp_banner (resized).jpeg
    occ_meme (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    mirror (resized).jpg
    pitchforks.gif
    1E04BBC7-4BA6-4D64-B082-69552E3185AF.gif
    giphy.gif
    1_8xraf6eyaXh-myNXOXkqLA (resized).jpeg
    all-or-nothing (resized).jpg
    333271AB-636A-4710-86D0-4A0A240097D7.gif
    20190327_181251 (resized).jpg
    There are 602 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 13.
    #51 5 years ago

Still waiting to see if Stern will ever get a true competitor in the marketplace. After just returning from TPF, and playing the other new pins like Oktoberfest, and Alice Cooper, and that Cosmic Carnival game, not to mention JJP's rehash of the same game, I am starting to doubt it. CGC is the only other company that is selling real units other than stern, and from an operator's perspective the only other company that can be trusted to deliver on what they promise. And within a reasonable timeline. Hopefully Jack can finally get it all together.

#52 5 years ago

My underlying question is why make Pirates when there is one already out there? It appears to me it was an ego thing against Gary. I like both pirates but I am content paying 4700 for a stern and having just as enjoyable of a game experience. I think JJPOTC was just a bad call to begin with. I truly hope JJP isnt in financial trouble as I am looking forward to seeing what is next. My recommendation - they need to hire some people away from Stern who can help design and make these more quickly and efficiently.

#53 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinphila:

I am content paying 4700 for a stern and having just as enjoyable of a game experience.

JJP POTC and Stern POTC are nowhere near the same game experience...

#54 5 years ago

Why does everyone keep saying JJ isn't making money? Did I miss that point of fact somewhere?

If they sell ~3k WOZ/~2k DI @ 9k each...there has to be some profit.?

#55 5 years ago
    Quoted from dannylite:

Who is making these decisions? Woz (outdated but nostalgic enough) Hobbit (outdated doa) more Woz (we need cash) , Potc (outdated doa) more Woz (we need cash) Wonka? (Hopefully will be made and great) Toy story? (outdated doa).

How is Toy Story outdated and doa? One of the biggest movie franchises of all time. Toy story 3 Made over 1billion at the box office. Toy story 4 comes out in a couple months. JJP needs to capitalize on this. Could be a huge money maker for them if done properly

#56 5 years ago
    Quoted from guymontag451:

Still waiting to see if Stern will ever get a true competitor in the marketplace. After just returning from TPF, and playing the other new pins like Oktoberfest, and Alice Cooper, and that Cosmic Carnival game, not to mention JJP's rehash of the same game, I am starting to doubt it. CGC is the only other company that is selling real units other than stern, and from an operator's perspective the only other company that can be trusted to deliver on what they promise. And within a reasonable timeline. Hopefully Jack can finally get it all together.

I think the issue is that JJP's goal was to be a premium pinball machine maker. That's why WOZ pulled out all the stops. It was ideally a step up from Stern in toys, innovation, LCD, and code. Stern then upped their game and raised prices according - but stayed just under JJP costing to appear more 'affordable'. Also they kick out so many games so fast it has a better chance of landing on someone's game preference.

Now we are expecting JJP to go against what they set out to do and be more like Stern or CGC. That just isn't in their blood. I think Jack should stick to their model - and not try to get into direct competition with Sterns approach. The next few releases will be key - I just think JJP underestimated the manufacturing costs, ramp up time, and that their pins did not have as much appeal to the average Pinside pinball buyer and player.

Maybe their next pin will have more universal praise and appeal for new and experience pinball players alike. I sure hope so...

#57 5 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

Why does everyone keep saying JJ isn't making money? Did I miss that point of fact somewhere?
    If they sell ~3k WOZ/~2k DI @ 9k each...there has to be some profit.?

It's not rocket science. JJP has been in business since 2011, and since that time have produced <10,000 games among all models. When you factor in your factory, parts, salaries, tooling, legal issues, etc. over that many years and divide it up it doesn't exactly show profit. There are more Fish Tales games produced by Williams in one year in the 90's than all of the JJP games put together over 8 years.

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

It's not rocket science. JJP has been in business since 2011, and since that time have produced &lt;10,000 games among all models. When you factor in your factory, parts, salaries, tooling, legal issues, etc. over that many years and divide it up it doesn't exactly show profit. There are more Fish Tales games produced by Williams in one year in the 90's than all of the JJP games put together over 8 years.

Again, no facts, just assumptions. Show #'s. Not being a prick, but if no one knows the numbers, you can't make factual statements.

#59 5 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

i’ll never understand how anyone can fault a business for trying to make more money. screw the collectibility. we are buying high-end children’s games, because we love them and enjoy them. if you’re in the hobby because you look at it as an investment, try the stock market. 10+ years ago, there was barely such a thing as limited editions. be grateful that the dying hobby we all stayed loyal to, is now bigger and badder than ever!

You must be joking people bitch like the sky is falling when Stern makes the annual $200 price increase. A $2000 price increase if something was added but with subtraction

il_570xN.1160987463_90jy (resized).jpgil_570xN.1160987463_90jy (resized).jpg
    #60 5 years ago

How many times since JJP’s inception have big investors had to come in and sink big money?

Hasn’t upper level mgmt changed a few times since 2012 as well?

I think we all want them to succeed as they do build the best quality game but something just seems off with how the company is run.

How much money you really think they make per machine? I think we would all be surprised how low it is.

#61 5 years ago
    Quoted from Goronic:

I think the issue is that JJP's goal was to be a premium pinball machine maker. That's why WOZ pulled out all the stops. It was ideally a step up from Stern in toys, innovation, LCD, and code. Stern then upped their game and raised prices according - but stayed just under JJP costing to appear more 'affordable'. Also they kick out so many games so fast it has a better chance of landing on someone's game preference.
    Now we are expecting JJP to go against what they set out to do and be more like Stern or CGC. That just isn't in their blood. I think Jack should stick to their model - and not try to get into direct competition with Sterns approach. The next few releases will be key - I just think JJP underestimated the manufacturing costs, ramp up time, and that their pins did not have as much appeal to the average Pinside pinball buyer and player.
    Maybe their next pin will have more universal praise and appeal for new and experience pinball players alike. I sure hope so...

No we're not asking them to drop prices to stern/CGC level. But they also can't be thousands more than those two. I'm happy to more more for a better product, but within reason. I'm a buyer at $9k-ish for a JJP LE level machines.

#62 5 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

Again, no facts, just assumptions. Show #'s. Not being a prick, but if no one knows the numbers, you can't make factual statements.

It's well known from numerous sources that JJP was bailed out by an angel investor after WOZ and again before Hobbit. since that time they've had 2 sales flops (Dialed In ~1500 units) and (JJPOTC ~1000 games) over a couple year period including many delays. I don't know the numbers but if I had to guess i would think they are still heavily in the red. I'm hoping they can turn this around this year as I think Willy Wonka has the potential to be a huge hit for them!

#63 5 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

I know this statement is funny as shit. I needed a good laugh today!

#64 5 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

It's not rocket science. JJP has been in business since 2011, and since that time have produced &lt;10,000 games among all models. When you factor in your factory, parts, salaries, tooling, legal issues, etc. over that many years and divide it up it doesn't exactly show profit. There are more Fish Tales games produced by Williams in one year in the 90's than all of the JJP games put together over 8 years.

Facts WOZ sold 4000 TH 2000 sales number drop with every price increase jaws dropped at $8000 than at $8500 $9000 $9500 if the new price is $11,500 JJP goes under

#65 5 years ago

IMO, this should have been done the proper way. What was expected, was added value for the "limited" rehash of the game. Some simple (not too costly) additions would have went a long way.

They could have :
    Added led eye lights in the trees (tree mod)
    Added the flying monkey mod (not removed mech entirely)
    Dressed up Dorthy's spinning house
    Sparkling matching yellow gold armor (not the bright yellow)
    A powder coated coin door

Total = $500 give or take.

A true limited 200 run on the YBR model (not "we might do it again")

This model is $2000 more than a RR, so make these truly special. One can't help but be insulted watching how this transpired.

I own a WOZ RR and am a big JJP supporter/fan, and want to see them do well, so don't get me wrong here. I also run a company, so I know you can't expect the customer to pay more for less! This is what everyone is annoyed about.

#66 5 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

1) They are both equally fun to me hence why I didnt buy one.
    2) They are nowhere near the same price either.

My point is I think this game turned people off (hence its not selling) because there is another already out there. Now, Toy Story I cannot wait for and JJP may get my money then.

I think JJP needs to spend some time and money on market research.

#67 5 years ago

YBR = You Better Run

#68 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinphila:

1) They are both equally fun to me hence why I didnt buy one.
    2) They are nowhere near the same price either.
    My point is I think this game turned people off (hence its not selling) because there is another already out there. Now, Toy Story I cannot wait for and JJP may get my money then.
    I think JJP needs to spend some time and money on market research.

Your last statement is key.....

I know Wonka is pretty popular amongst pinsiders but I view this title as a major major risk. It isn’t widely beloved as is WOZ, even more so outside of the US.

Toy Story on the other hand will sell well globally. Still very popular amongst families.

#69 5 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

You must be joking people bitch like the sky is falling when Stern makes the annual $200 price increase. A $2000 price increase if something was added but with subtraction
    [quoted image]

i agree, nobody wants less for more. but we can all vote with our wallets. this thread takes it personal. that’s all i’m getting from it.

#70 5 years ago
    Quoted from billyboy:

IMO, this should have been done the proper way. What was expected, was added value for the "limited" rehash of the game. Some simple (not too costly) additions would have went a long way.
    They could have :
    Added led eye lights in the trees (tree mod)
    Added the flying monkey mod (not removed mech entirely)
    Dressed up Dorthy's spinning house
    Sparkling matching yellow gold armor (not the bright yellow)
    A powder coated coin door
    Total = $500 give or take.
    A true limited 200 run on the YBR model (not "we might do it again")
    This model is $2000 more than a RR, so make these truly special. One can't help but be insulted watching how this transpired.
    I own a WOZ RR and am a big JJP supporter/fan, and want to see them do well, so don't get me wrong here. I also run a company, so I know you can't expect the customer to pay more for less! This is what everyone is annoyed about.

Great list of upgrades, those would be what I suggest and these would have made game feel special. And those are the mods new customers want. All those plus switch over to boardset 2.0, which is something JJP wanted to do. These may have cost $1k including boards, and now for the fantasy ... imagine price was kept at $10k. Give the people a great game and quit raising prices. They could have sold many more WOZ at 10k as opposed to very very few at $11.5k.

#71 5 years ago

"3) Jack had destroyed the "collectibility" of any JJP game."

I couldn't agree more with this statement, which is why I stopped my support of JJP after taking delivery of The Hobbit. First there was WOZ Emerald Green, then Ruby Red and now Yellow Brick Road. If I buy another JJP game it will be on the secondary market. JJP won't be getting anymore of my money.

#72 5 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

i agree, nobody wants less for more. but we can all vote with our wallets. this thread takes it personal. that’s all i’m getting from it.

I agree. Ice hates Jack and thats fine. Are his prices high, hell yeah. Do you have to buy his pins, no. All i have to say is Sterns 9k LE is not worth it as well. Thats a fact. If these prices continue, i will just enjoy the older B and C titles.

#73 5 years ago
    Quoted from Skyemont:

I agree. Ice hates Jack and thats fine. Are his prices high, hell yeah. Do you have to buy his pins, no. All i have to say is Sterns 9k LE is not worth it as well. Thats a fact. If these prices continue, i will just enjoy the older B and C titles.

True. Honestly I am going with HUO for a while (maybe forever).

In fact - keep me in mind when you go to sell your Toy Story in the future!

#74 5 years ago

I’m all for them making more money. However, they don’t seem to understand that short term moves like how YBR has removed mechs can affect things like their reputation longer term which has far larger costs.

My first pin was a WOZRR as Jack sold me on his vision of a company as being nothing but the best - pinball without compromizes.

After the JJPOTC mech removals including stating openly that they could not open and close a trunk(!), you would have thought they would have learned a simple lesson - removing sh*t does not appeal to collectors and enthusiasts.

Now they reveal their finest and sparkling vision of WOZ with a mech removed? And apparently with no thought given to the fact that mech removal is precisely what enthusiasts like me hate the most?

Think about this... after the pirates mech removal debacle, they focused on removing a mech for their next pin release! And for a mech the entire community is familiar with! And even now surprised (again!) at the reaction of the community to YBR edition!

I’m sure things will turn around again, and I’m just speaking for myself here, but JJP seems lost right now like they have no concern or care for their reputation long term. To me it’s sad.

#75 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

See above.
    Wash, rinse and repeat with Jack 8 years later

Truth. Ice and I have had a long road with JJP. Mostly a waiting game.

#76 5 years ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

Given the history of JJP, if you are buying a machine for collectability then that is probably a bad idea. I don't know about most of the people in the hobby, but I'm buying to play the damn thing. The only reason to get an LE will be what toys / extras are involved, not because it is 1 of only X made because again, JJP history, that doesn't mean squat.
    Long term JJP is fine. They produce high quality games and are a healthy alternative for others that are not Stern fans.

You should at least know what you are getting when you pay that kind of $$

No one should be surprised if people waffle after that YBR $$ grab.

I mean its actually kind of funny in an absurd sort of way. Like JG said, the same game has gone from $6500 to $11,500. The fact that its a "YBR version" makes it what?

So tell me how ANYONE justifies the $11,500 price tag on YBR is "collectibility" means NOTHING? Explain that one to me.

#Black Pearl edition

#77 5 years ago
    Quoted from Skyemont:

I don't "hate Jack". I don't like the business practices and the lies.

Please explain to me how "collectibility" or 1 of something means NOTHING with JJP and then here comes the $11,500 price tag for YBR?

What are you paying $11,500 for again? I'm waiting?

They price a game as IF it means something.

#78 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Please explain to me how "collectibility" or 1 of something means NOTHING with JJP and then here comes the $11,500 price tag for YBR?

Jack should have kept the monkey in and called YBR a CE and held to making just 200 of them. This would have been more palatable as it could be seen as a price reduction in the CE line (down from the $12.5k POTC CE).

#79 5 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

Jack should have kept the monkey in and called YBR a CE and held to making just 200 of them. This would have been more palatable as it could be seen as a price reduction in the CE line (down from the $12.5k POTC CE).

It probably isn't too late to do that. They really should call it a CE...

#80 5 years ago

JJP would have been better off limiting the YBR version to 200 games. At that price point they might have a chance to sell it out if they limited the run. That being said I really don't understand the logic of removing the monkey from the game....they've built thousands of units with the monkey .... its completely illogical...my guess is that JJP investors have put management on on short lease, and time is running out........at some point throwing good money after bad takes its toll....people with $ like to make $

#81 5 years ago

I wish somehow Jack could maybe just go with an SE edition - much like Hobbit did with Smuag and keep the LEs for - you know - LEs. They do need to find a way to do SE/LE model under the 10K mark. They can dabble with 11.5 and 12.5K with CEs - but they need to sell more pins in that SE/LE segment at volume.

#82 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Can't argue with the price. I will never pay 11,500 for a pin. Thats my point. If you dont like the price and did not want the YBRWOZ anyway, why worry about it. I will never buy a Stern LE for 9k. Never!! There comes a time and price point where we all feel like, thats enough. For me, its now. I will hold tight and just buy B and C titles. Its become very stupid for JJP and Stern to be at 9k and above.

#83 5 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

That being said I really don't understand the logic of removing the monkey from the game....they've built thousands of units with the monkey .... its completely illogical.

Exactly. It just seems nuts. So, without any other information, we search for other reasons. I too am left with a feeling that things are not stable at JJP - hope I’m wrong.

In any case, JJP must explain to the community WHY they took out the monkey mech. Was it broken and unfixable? Why could they not fix it? Was it that expensive that it was worth taking out at any cost to reputation?

Do you see how this along with being unable to open and close the pirates trunk could lead us to believe that something is not right at JJP?

#84 5 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

JJP would have been better off limiting the YBR version to 200 games. At that price point they might have a chance to sell it out if they limited the run. That being said I really don't understand the logic of removing the monkey from the game....they've built thousands of units with the monkey .... its completely illogical...my guess is that JJP investors have put management on on short lease, and time is running out........at some point throwing good money after bad takes its toll....people with $ like to make $

Monkeygate. It's all a big monkey conspiracy. Monkey can't grab ass...monkey can't grab balls.

#85 5 years ago

So just thinking out loud and was curious if the monkey mech being taken out had anything at all to do with the monkeys from Octoberfest turning into an emotional mess?
    I don't know but was thinking...maybe?
    -Mike

#86 5 years ago

Diskgate, trunkgate and now monkeygate.

For heaven’s sake, if we hear about mechs removed on their next release...

#87 5 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

Diskgate, trunkgate and now monkeygate.
    For heaven’s sake, if we hear about mechs removed on their next release...

It all turns into one giant massdebate.

#88 5 years ago

I do have a question though :

Has anyone ever had a problem with the monkey mech?

It hasn't ever given me an issue and out of the 4 owners that I know, none of them either.

I know this is senseless at this point, but I do wonder.

#89 5 years ago

Never had an issue with my RRWOZ.

#90 5 years ago

Re the monkey, either JJP could not fix the issues after 8 years (if there were issues), or they removed it for cost savings on their most elite and most expensive version.

Whatever the reason, the optics are terrible.

#91 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

1) That reveal was 100% about raising $$$ to put down on getting Wonka started. Do the math. 200 games x $10k net = $2 million. The "investors" said go raise the up front $$ yourself buddy. Hence, the YBR absolute F ing disaster and JOKE
    2) Jack actually said that "we may do more than 200 later but it won't be more than......."
    3) Jack had destroyed the "collectibility" of any JJP game.
    4) The RUSH to buy Potc late is totally manufactured BS. Sales were crap until there was a "last call" announcement. Again, "hey guys, I've got a few pins outside in the trunk, let me show them to you"
    5) After TPF, like everything else with JJP to extract every dime possible, there will be a BLACK PEARL EDITION coming next year. How do we know this? LOL
    6) Yeah I'm thinking Disney doesn't give a F about how many games POTC sold, its a shit franchise now, and any FUTURE games make sense so Jack can make them for let's say another 3 yrs. It's what he does.
    7) Disney is also Toy Story, enough said about the relationship thus far. POTC was a dismal seller from a licensing standpoint. DI or WOZ, who cares?
    Bottom line, Jack lies when the truth would sound better. And now I'm probably gonna roll over my $$$ from POTCCE because, once again, its delayed, AND in Jack style, we know its coming again in another re skinned version.
    #BLACK PEARL

I want to give you a thumbs up and thumbs down.

I do agree that YBR is stupid cash grab and PotC didn’t sell so they decided to halt production to make people ont he fence feel like it was now or never and move a few more units. Heck look at CGC they keep making AFM aid there is demand no need to rattle the cages and say buy now or never (???).

However when you said who cares about Woz and DI that I disagree with because they are both great.

#92 5 years ago

I don't think we should care about an offshoot model costing a ridiculous price. We didn't get upset about Spiderman Home Edition Supreme (if you did, get an additional hobby). We get it. It's for outsiders. Don't buy it. I prefer my RR and told Jack the price on YBR is high and that POTC should have come with a manual for the price.

I think what we, as potential buyers of JJP games should look at is on April 12/13th when Willy Wonka is revealed. What will be the price and what will be the features?

Butch Peel (JJP employee) said last weekend that they won't do something like Pirates again. He kind of backed away from what he was saying, but I took it to mean that JJPOTC was very ambitious and they can't afford another delay. I asked if that meant they won't have all the features and asked him to keep it awesome. I love Pirates. Waiting sucked. Supposedly WW ships within 60 days after reveal.

Let's see what happens, and save the doom and gloom talk for when the service and build quality from JJP takes a dip. Because it hasn't yet.

#93 5 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Let's face it LE just means nothing in this hobby anymore in terms of collectability.
    If it's the game you like, then great, but don't buy expecting the term LE means anything anymore.
    Especially JJP games.

LE still means something
    Standard = Expensive
    LE = Lots more Expensive
    CE = Crazy more Expensive

#94 5 years ago
    Quoted from dannylite:

I'm honestly worried. I think YBR @11.5k was a last cash grab ordered by the "angels".

Shake my head. At least have the decency to give a reach around. I mean if you are going to charge $11500 don’t remove mechanical toys at the same time.

#95 5 years ago

All thatmoney and no cliffys....love their games and all others but I refuse to sell 3 games to get a new one.

Pricing is crazy ....CGC remakes at 6k sounds like a deal

#96 5 years ago
    Quoted from dannylite:

Stern's pace is killing them. Gary is literally trying to bury them with releases and I think it's working.

Gary is trying to bury them in bad themes and incomplete games. He's like the Vince McMahon of pinball.

#97 5 years ago

Some of these JJP doom and gloom comments make me laugh. Jack said at TPF they are sold out of every game at the factory. They are more successful today then they have ever been and have a big release with Wonka right around the corner and a second game being announced later this year.

Personally I think JJP is only going to grow as a company. I wouldn't be surprised though if Wonka is scaled back a bit in regards to featues.

YBR is a cash grab though lol. JJP also needs to stop with their unlimited "limited editions" and make LE counts lower. Theres only one true WOZ LE, it was made over 5 years ago and is called the ECLE.

#98 5 years ago

It's been said in many other posts complaining about every manufacturer...if you don't like it, don't buy it. None of these pinball companies are perfect - either JJP is too expensive, or Stern's quality sucks, or Spooky is making pins too slowly, or there is a decal crack on a CGC machine, etc. etc. Whatever a companies motives are - either to get richer or to stay in business, it is their prerogative. Speak with your wallet. If a company truly makes bad decisions they will go out of business and perhaps that is what should happen. I don't want any of these companies to go out of business as I think they all provide something cool and unique to the world of pinball.

#99 5 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Some of these JJP doom and gloom comments make me laugh. Jack said they are sold out of every game at the factory. They are more successful today then they have ever been and have a big release with Wonka right around the corner and a second game being announced later this year.
    YBR is a cash grab though lol.

Sold out at factory doesn’t mean highly profitable.

#100 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

1) That reveal was 100% about raising $$$ to put down on getting Wonka started.

I think this was spot on.. YBR was a cash grab to keep the business going. Jack said it himself they have 0 pins in stock right now, this also means 0 money coming in on sales to keep paying people to work. Wonka was slow to ship (again), and that means no pins / pre-orders for cash flow.

Stern does need competition for pricing and innovation. I really believe JJP is the only reason we have larger color displays in pinball today. I think Spooky has also stepped it up with ACNC. If YBR gets JJP over the lull great, but consider me worried.

There are 602 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-current-take-on-jjp-pinball-after-tpf/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.