(Topic ID: 239358)

My current take on JJP pinball after TPF....

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 602 posts
  • 142 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Lamprey
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ED0AC495-264C-41DC-9B67-30D36705F8AD.gif
    06D0C3DB-AD68-488A-9F6F-062FAA3872A5 (resized).jpeg
    20190324_092443 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 1.37.g00 PM (resized).png
    wonka_glp_banner (resized).jpeg
    occ_meme (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    mirror (resized).jpg
    pitchforks.gif
    1E04BBC7-4BA6-4D64-B082-69552E3185AF.gif
    giphy.gif
    1_8xraf6eyaXh-myNXOXkqLA (resized).jpeg
    all-or-nothing (resized).jpg
    333271AB-636A-4710-86D0-4A0A240097D7.gif
    20190327_181251 (resized).jpg

There are 602 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 13.
    #551 4 years ago
    Quoted from KingPinGames:

Please update your post to reflect my current standings

will remove your link don't want people coming in to buy who you might be able to sell another JJP game

#552 4 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

will remove your link don't want people coming in to buy who you might be able to sell another JJP game

Sour grapes.

#553 4 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I've never seen someone more obsessed then yourself with trying to constantly bash and put down JJP. Why is that? What did JJP do to piss you off so much?
    There's multiple distributors out there with ads for the game but they are many are sold out as believe it or not ads don't update themselves...

Funny I could say the same of you I see you all over the Stern threads. By the way if you read my post I seldom criticize JJP games I criticize the price I call BS on all the crap fans throw at other companies to build up JJP last I call BS on the wild sales claims I have heard for two years DI CE is sold out LOL. You Panzer on the other hand regularly trash Sterns games everything from how they play to how they are built so in the end you tear down Stern far more than I teardown JJP

#554 4 years ago

I'd agree on paper GNR is a head scratcher.

Buuuuut... mainstream theme relevance is irrelevant in the crazy world of pinball. ACDC, Metallic, Aerosmith were all about 25 years out of the mainstream when they got pins.

Also Slash is a pinhead so that reduces costs (see both Spooky music pins) and you get to have Slash help with your game design! Oh boy Slash is visiting the office!

#555 4 years ago

Iceman sounds like a real knob shiner.

#556 4 years ago

iceman44 You coming to MGC to see the big reveal?

Only a handful of VIG/Preview night tickets appear to be left from what goatdan has said
    Base don the rumors the reveal is gonna happen on Friday at the VIG party so better get your ticket before it sells out.

#557 4 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

Funny I could say the same of you I see you all over the Stern threads. By the way if you read my post I seldom criticize JJP games I criticize the price I call BS on all the crap fans throw at other companies to build up JJP last I call BS on the wild sales claims I have heard for two years DI CE is sold out LOL. You Panzer on the other hand regularly trash Sterns games everything from how they play to how they are built so in the end you tear down Stern far more than I teardown JJP

As someone who loves JJP and Stern and CGC and others and who is in all those threads daily, you're the biggest anti-JJP poster I can think of. You're constantly in JJP threads. Quick search of your forum posts verifies this. When it comes to criticizing JJP games for things other than price, "seldom" is not the word I'd use to describe your posts.

#558 4 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

As someone who loves JJP and Stern and CGC and others and who is in all those threads daily, you're the biggest anti-JJP poster I can think of. You're constantly in JJP threads. Quick search of your forum posts verifies this. When it comes to criticizing JJP games for things other than price, "seldom" is not the word I'd use to describe your posts.

I did remember the dinner but was not sure it ever happened as I remember a lot of when will the dinner talk happening

But the game is heavy that counts for something doesn't

post 444

Who would have thought JJP would ever have a worse reveal than DI

Fantastic post 498

These are all non-price non -calling out others on BS post from this thread

#559 4 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

Dude, I've purchased NIB Sterns over the years and still have Ghostbusters Premium which despite the code issues think is a great pin. My opinions about Stern quality, code design, etc are based on my experience from owning Stern games.

It hasn't all been criticism either as I've complemented Stern many times as well. I've also been critical of JJP plenty. You on the other hand have not owned a JJP pin and just seem to enjoy bashing them and never say a positive thing about the company.

#560 4 years ago

^ Stop engaging the troll. That is what they want.

#561 4 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I didn't see it but I'll take it! A no brainer.

Yeah that seems like a safe bet...Jack all but said JJPOTC would be back on the line again next year. I would guess as soon as YBR is done it either goes there or Wonka moves to that line for JJP#2-2019. Could line 2 is be the JJP vault line for the future?

#562 4 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

not owned a JJP pin and just seem to enjoy bashing them and never say a positive thing about the company.

I have never said a positive thing about Sterns overpriced games as well. As I have stated it is the price and BS claims not the games I criticize

#563 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

iceman44 You coming to MGC to see the big reveal?
    Only a handful of VIG/Preview night tickets appear to be left from what goatdan has said
    Base don the rumors the reveal is gonna happen on Friday at the VIG party so better get your ticket before it sells out.

Adam, Zadavoza is going from here. He is bringing back full report! Tax time tough.

#564 4 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

Thank you. I really enjoy your contributions and opinions when it comes to pinball, how to run a business and life in general. (for future reference, it is April 1st, 2019 and this might be an April's Fools remark).

... and i upvoted your post since it looked so lonely with all of the sad downvotes. I truly hope you can find something that makes you happy so you can move on from being a pinside troll.

#565 4 years ago
    Quoted from KingPinGames:

Thank you. I really enjoy your contributions and opinions when it comes to pinball, how to run a business and life in general. (for future reference, it is April 1st, 2019 and this might be an April's Fools remark).

Great points. I've seen the light as well and will be selling all of my JJP pins. Oh, just realized its time for me to go update my Ghostbusters, new code is out today.

#566 4 years ago

Well what do we have here, Another bashing!
    Well guess what I flipping hate my JJP POTC, I am going to go out and get me one of those Stern potc's that are so much fun!!!!

April fools!!!

#567 4 years ago
    Quoted from heni1977:

Well what do we have here, Another bashing!
    Well guess what I flipping hate my JJP POTC, I am going to go out and get me one of those Stern potc's that are so much fun!!!!
    April fools!!!

Call me a simp if you want, but I actually enjoy Stern POTC.

#568 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Call me a simp if you want, but I actually enjoy Stern POTC.

I do too. I actually just sold mine since I was out of room and it wasn't getting played much, but it is a fun game.

#569 4 years ago
    Quoted from Beebl:

Jack all but said JJPOTC would be back on the line again next year.

I think you can count on that. It will be a new version (Black Perl?) with new art, but it will have a higher price. Anyone that thinks otherwise, is not paying attention.

#570 4 years ago

I would not call you a simp for simply liking something I do not!

#571 4 years ago
    Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I think you can count on that. It will be a new version (Black Perl?) with new art, but it will have a higher price. Anyone that thinks otherwise, is not paying attention.

Jack didn't sound confident at all that Pirates will be back. He just said X amount of parts were ordered for X amount games, never say never and said the same thing about Ruby Red. If Pirates for sure was coming back I think he would have said yes or gave some indicator that it would be back. Nothing like that was said though.

#572 4 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

and said the same thing about Ruby Red.

I'm just reading, I don't have anything relevant to add. Probably.

#573 4 years ago

As for the "CE" on POTC I'm not sure what so and so might have "1 left" means but they haven't built my game yet because they are "waiting on parts".

#574 4 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Jack didn't sound confident at all that Pirates will be back. He just said X amount of parts were ordered for X amount games, never say never and said the same thing about Ruby Red. If Pirates for sure was coming back I think he would have said yes or gave some indicator that it would be back. Nothing like that was said though.

I agree, he's keeping it vague at the moment. However, if you follow his past patterns, you see that more pirates will almost certainly happen. Every other game has had additional runs. Maybe DI is the exception, so far, but its non-licensed. So no need to rush out new additions soon, as he could do that at anytime in the future. This recent spike in YBR price, to me, is an indication of the pricing direction for limited run games. I think Wonka's LE version will still stick around the 9-10k range, as that's main launching run. This is my 2 cents and what I see happening here.

#575 4 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I would love to see JJP bring it back again but with an original pirate theme. All original characters, callouts, art and whatnot. I think the pin and design are top shelf, but the POTC theme is a complete no go for me.

#576 4 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Adam, Zadavoza is going from here. He is bringing back full report! Tax time tough.

I am going. I will be there for the Friday night preview and all day Saturday.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

You are correct. I was in the room and that is what he said. I do think that they will do a future run of a few hundred games before the license runs out. I don't believe there will be a black pearl edition though. Jack explicitly said about a year ago that that will not happen. Can't take the CE topper and give it to another model, and the LE is already black. My guess is it will be an LE with or without one small difference to it. Probably add Jack the monkey sculpt as a tongue-in-cheek for all the haters.

#577 4 years ago
    Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I think Wonka's LE version will still stick around the 9-10k range, as that's main launching run. This is my 2 cents and what I see happening here.

I think the same thing. YBR is no indicator of the main line upcoming games.

I hope WW goes back to the DI/TH price of $9k. Pirates is an ambitious widebody that is loaded with mechs and code. Dev and license were costly, no doubt. But it was a stomach punch to pay $10k with shipping (and no printed manual this time), and wait for a year.

I love Pirates, but Wonka needs to be different. This can't be the new norm in pricing for JJP LEs. I personally think that JJP will gain much more customers and maintain loyalty from current patrons by keeping their main game around that price for the next couple releases. It can't go up every time.

Stern LEs don't compare in quality and code, but that price is a rip-off and shouldn't be used as a metric for trying to sell a couple thousand games in a short time period. I'm sure WW will be $9,500. I doubt they go back down to $9,000, but I hope they do.

#578 4 years ago
    Quoted from anathematize:

Did you miss the early to mid 90's when GnR was literally the biggest, most controversial and most dangerous band on planet earth?
    I think they are absolutely a PERFECT fit for the younger part of the demographic that is buying pins these days (35 - 50 years old).

No, I was in the thick of all that as a present day 40 year old. I wouldn’t be surprised if Stern took a crack at GNR with the amount of games they release. Just don’t see JJP running with this one. Hope I’m wrong.

#579 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

I actually enjoy Stern POTC.

Nothing wrong with liking a game you enjoy.

Doesn't matter make or model. That is what pinball is all about.

LTG : )

#580 4 years ago
    Quoted from SyntheticDavid:

Iceman sounds like a real knob shiner.

Kaneda is that you?

#581 4 years ago

This unfortunate choice of words, however, gave my Ipad a nostril induced coffee facial... no disrespect to Iceman.

#582 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

This unfortunate choice of words, however, gave my Ipad a nostril induced coffee facial... no disrespect to Iceman.

Yeah i got a chuckle out of it too even though it isn't true and iceman is one of my most favorite people on here lol.

#583 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

I found it funny myself

#584 4 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I found it funny myself

I'm going to start a thread about "my take on Stern pinballs"......

#585 4 years ago
    Quoted from Skyemont:

I'm going to start a thread about "my take on Stern pinballs"......

When someone “gives” you their “take” on something, what do you get in return, or are we even?

#586 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

When someone “gives” you their “take” on something, what do you get in return, or are we even?

Eye for a eye is always even!

#587 4 years ago
    Quoted from Skyemont:

Eye for a eye is always even!

I like this answer.

#588 4 years ago

My take on YBR and monkey

The Cabinets being used are the new cabinets used on Pirates and DI, the Pat Lawlor designed ones

And guess what, the monkey mech doesn't fit, no way there is room for it.

Probably uses the longer Dialed in Pirates legs as well?

Why touch what isn't broke no idea, but this would be the real reason

How do I know this, I was bored and put a WOZ playfield in a pirates cabinet

#589 4 years ago

This is very useful information - thank you. Finally we have the actual reason.

JJP could have just come clean about it as the other reasons just didn’t cut it especially since I heard Jack said future RR editions will have the monkey put back in.

#590 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ballypinball:

The Cabinets being used are the new cabinets used on Pirates and DI, the Pat Lawlor designed ones

Interesting observation!

#591 4 years ago

I was bored and put a WOZ playfield in a pirates cabinet

Wow Thanks Ballypinball for this.

#592 4 years ago

Well this is certainly interesting.

I wonder if the same holds true for trying to fit a Hobbit playfield into a Pirates? I'm not thinking through all the nitty gritty details... but maybe jack is using the rest of the Pirates cabinets to make the banana WOZ? Perhaps JJP will switch back to the old style of cabinet for future wide body releases?

#593 4 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

Interesting observation!

I agree. Interesting...

#594 4 years ago

I hope that JJP can get it’s act together. JJP founded in 2011 which is not all that long ago or maybe old enough to know better depending on how you look at it. But that’s 8 years and so far 4 games have landed. And with the case of PotC it’s either a rousing success or a thudding failure depends on who you ask. If it’s true as some say that JJP PotC can be done with 1000 units then I think it’s a failure to sell not saying a bad game but a bad selling game. I’m not sure how well DI or TH sold either.

Stern is able to have a failure game and move on in 4 months to a whole other pin.

#595 4 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

since I heard Jack said future RR editions will have the monkey put back in.

Really?! You hadn't mentioned that.

#596 4 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

This is very useful information - thank you. Finally we have the actual reason.
    JJP could have just come clean about it as the other reasons just didn’t cut it especially since I heard Jack said future RR editions will have the monkey put back in.

Probably thought that it would come off as cheap .. eliminating a mech because they most likely wanted to use their excess cabinets to save $. These are the kinds of decisions that can be troubling.

#597 4 years ago

I recall hearing jack say in a podcast interview (I think he was in Australia) a few months back, when he was asked why he didn't reuse some components in subsequent games after all the R&D, that he didn't want previous work to influence or limit a game's design. Seems quite contrary to retrofitting games to fit new cabinets.

#598 4 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

Maybe. But I’ve heard that Dialed In has sold better.
    I don’t buy the “we ran out of parts” line on why POTC production was stopped. There has to be another reason if indeed the game was a hit. Maybe “we couldn’t get more parts in time” to keep the line moving but otherwise it doesn’t make sense to stop making the game if indeed you have hundreds of orders on the table (and I doubt there is that much unfilled demand).

Have you (not just you but everyone who things it didn't sell well) stopped and put a single ounce of thought into what might have happened? I don't know that we will ever know for sure. But, I can look at what happened and what is happening and I can easily make a, albeit whimsical, guess as to what happened.

Maybe it didn't sell well...?

Maybe it was a terrible theme. By reading the posts here, we know that the "Pirates" Franchise was a terrible one. (sheesh)..

Maybe they weren't making enough money because of licensing or whatever..

Maybe they looked at how many games they can produce in a given time period. Looked out into the future and said, we need to have Toy Story in production around when the movie comes out. We still need to do WWCF before that and have JJPOTC on the line. Extrapolate that backwards and you can come up with a number of JJPOTC that could be made. Buy that amount of parts. Run the line till done. Move onto WWCF to get those done before Toy Story needs to get going. Seems like a pretty plausible chain of events.

Maybe something else, who knows.

But, I'd wager that we see another run of JJPOTC in the future.

#599 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lamprey:

Have you (not just you but everyone who things it didn't sell well) stopped and put a single ounce of thought into what might have happened?

Yes. It either did not meet sales expectations or they actually did run out of parts (which could imply that there were more orders than expected). If they didn’t run out of parts and they had orders in hand it makes ZERO sense to put YBR on the second line (assuming WWCF is on the main line). If they have parts I say you don’t pull Pirates from the main line UNLESS Toy Story is next and they want games out before the TS4 release.

If there is enough interest to justify another run, I suspect there will be one with some tweaks run on the second line. But I really think that’s iffy. Either the residual demand isn’t enough to make it worthwhile or JJP believes they would better served (i.e. they will sell more games) if they dedicate production to the as yet unannounced games. Again, assuming parts, if you have a bona fide hit selling as fast as you can make them you don’t stop making them without a really good reason.

And - if they actually did run out of parts and were planning another run after parts arrived why didn’t Jack just say that? I suspect he didn’t do that specifically to help dealers unload the remaining stock.

I don’t know what the real reason was, but really don’t care. I’m not interested in Pirates because of the theme and am in the camp that believes both WWCF and TS have the potential to outsell Pirates.

#600 4 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

Again, assuming parts, if you have a bona fide hit selling as fast as you can make them you don’t stop making them without a really good reason.

What is a good reason? Is moving on the next game on the schedule a good reason?

People keep saying that you don't stop making a game that is still selling, but you can look at the biggest manufacturer of pinball (Stern) to know that isn't true. Stern has a schedule. They know how many units they can produce in a time period. I don't know exactly how they determine their numbers, but they do a run of some number and stop. Do they do additional runs, they sure do. But, they don't continue production until there are no more buyers, they stop and, if there is still demand, they do additional runs. I don't see how that is any different than what JJP does/is doing.

There are 602 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-current-take-on-jjp-pinball-after-tpf/page/12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.