(Topic ID: 239358)

My current take on JJP pinball after TPF....

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 602 posts
  • 142 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Lamprey
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ED0AC495-264C-41DC-9B67-30D36705F8AD.gif
    06D0C3DB-AD68-488A-9F6F-062FAA3872A5 (resized).jpeg
    20190324_092443 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 1.37.g00 PM (resized).png
    wonka_glp_banner (resized).jpeg
    occ_meme (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    mirror (resized).jpg
    pitchforks.gif
    1E04BBC7-4BA6-4D64-B082-69552E3185AF.gif
    giphy.gif
    1_8xraf6eyaXh-myNXOXkqLA (resized).jpeg
    all-or-nothing (resized).jpg
    333271AB-636A-4710-86D0-4A0A240097D7.gif
    20190327_181251 (resized).jpg
    There are 602 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 13.
    #501 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

How come every JJP thread devolves into a three sided piss fest that reminds me more of the Three Stooges, than the Three Amigos? Right now, if you lined all the manufacturers up for a race, pulled the trigger on the starting gun, here is what would happen...
    Good afternoon, Ladies and Gentlemen, and Welcome to Pinside Raceway, It’s Post Time- This is Bublehead your Master of Ceremonies coming to you live from sunny Arizona, the weather is clear, the track is dry, and that’s the bugle as our competitors make their way to the starting gate. There’s the Number 1 filly, a fine contender, Steve Richie’s BKSoR, being ridden today by Gary Stern. Gary has been known to take center stage when the chips are down, and today is no exception.
    Ok, and now I see the next horse coming up to the gate, Jersey Jack’s Dark horse Entry, WOZYBR, being riden by none other than Jack himself, you got to love his passion for competition. Jack has said some some things that are going to drive the fans wild, but his love of Chocolate, Axle Rose, and High End Toys has given the media pause for reflection.
    Ok, here comes CGC and their newest 20 year old, MBr, but wait, ok, yes, I seems CGC had some problems with their LE thouroughbred and had to substitute the CE yearling with a color chip upgrade... that is really going to impact their chances of winning here today.
    Our next rider has been having some trouble with his mount, I can’t see, wait, yes, yes, it is API, seems they got their music and monkey issues ironed out and yes , here he is Oktoberfest, being riden by his original Jockey, Castrated Monkey, you got to respect the balls on Mr. Monkey for showing up here today.
    Our next contestant is making their way to the chute... I can’t see the jockeys colors, wait, its white and pink silks with rainbow checkered chaps, yes it is the Multimophic entry, Lexy Lightspeed riding the mighty P3 steed. Boy there is a horse of a differnt color for you for sure.
    Bringing up the rear, the final entries are making their way now to the gate... some of these horses I think were entered because this is a Claiming race, we have Dutch Pinball’s entry, The Big Lewbowski, unfortunately he looks a little lame today, he’s been favouring that left front foot that keeps ending up in someone elses mouth on a pretty regular basis.
    Looks like a couple of others are struggling with their mounts in the chute, Homepin’s jockey is kicking the other jockeys and screaming “My mount is fun!” To anyone who will listen. His horse, TBag, however, seems to be living up to his well deserved name.
    The last four entries are being forced into the shutes now, they are having dificulty getting The Jetsons, a non discript 2 year old to settle down in his gate, as well as Kingpin and The Mafia who have been shooting smoldering glances at each other and pantomiming throat cuts all morning.
    Your final horse, ACNC, the latest mare from Spooky Farms decided to skip this race and play a game of TNA instead, probably a better use of their time as they are happy right where they are.
    And there’s the bell and they are off!
    JJP has jumped out to an amazing lead, Jack is really setting the pace this morning, followed closely by Gary on the outside, and CGC, with their Jockey Ryan bringing up the rear. The rest of the field is settling in for a decent afternoon run.
    Jack has now pulled ahead, but he is facing some strong POTC headwinds as he rounds the first turn, CGC is nipping at his heals, and Gary has pulled in behind on the rail, followed by API, that Oktoberfest filly is really catching a stride.
    The rest of the field is struggling to keep up the pace, but Labowski keeps chomping at his bit and DP is having trouble keeping him on the track. Mafia and Kingpin have broken out the handguns and the lead has started to fly... Watch it folks these guys are playing for blood.
    Rounding the back turn, WOZYBR has been spooked by a flying monkey, and has turned and headed the wrong direction.. Gary has started whipping BKSoR like a red headed stepchild, and Ryan, on his 20 year old has been fading fast, falling behind by 160 lengths.
    Mafia and Kingpin have given up completely, dismounting in the infield and breaking out switchblades, they are literaly at each others throats.
    The Pinball Company has continued to not spare the whip as it brings up the rear, The Jetsons is just to much a vanilla flavored dark horse to actually compete. My gosh what fun.
    Jack has finally got conrol of WOZYBR and turned her around and got her headed back in the right direction, but that u-turn reveal sure cost him the lead. Gary has seen the cracks in the veneer of that old yellow paint, and has redoubled his efforts, releasing a torrent of titles in hopes to put Jack and his aging steed finally out to pasture.
    But don’t tear those tickets up just yet folks, Oktoberfest has finally caught his wind and is coming on strong from the inside rail. That monkey is whipping that poor stud so fast you cant even see where his hand is, how ironic.
    As they round the final turn, its Gary out in front, Jersey Jack coming hard from the outside, and Ryan has his customers convinced the quality of the LE is worth waiting on and has MBrCE pushing for a photo finish...
    Multimorphic has been hanging on by Lexy’s pink silks but a public cry of “Mhe” rings out from the crowd as she takes the forth turn and heads for home.
    They are pounding for the end now, steel balls and rubber rings a flyin’, as each Jockey positions for a chance at that finish line. It’s neck and neck ladies and gentlemen, you can see the flashing siver of Gary’s mane as the pulsing vein in Jacks forhead swells with each thrash of the whip. Ryan has broken out his cell phone and is taking another call from an angry MBrLE customer, as Multimophic continues to try and be relevant. Oktoberfest has overcome his earlier mis-“handling” and is charging for finish.
    Its Gary, its Jack, it’s CGC, its API... down to the wire and it’s...
    Holy freaking COW!!! Ladies and Gentlman, Alien has broken through the club house gates and has started consuming the other contestants... He just bit the head of BKSoR and threw Oktoberfest into the stands, oh my god the carnage... Jack has dismounted and is running for the infield... Ooow! That’s got to hurt, can we get a medic to the infield please? Now it has Gary by his magnificent silver hair and, oh, I didn’t know an eyeball could do that... I’m sorry ladies, and gentlemen, this is just too much, oh the humanity, I am afriad I have to stop, this is just too awful....
    <mike drop>...

That’s a lotta words. My reading limit is 100

#502 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Bubblehead if you spent as much time playing pinball as you do writing these posts, you would be better than Kieth Elwin. lol

Bubblehead your a great guy but you need to follow up each of your posts with a “Cliff Notes” summary. Step away from the keyboard! Lol

#503 5 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Bubblehead your a great guy but you need to follow up each of your posts with a “Cliff Notes” summary. Step away from the keyboard! Lol

I feel sorry for his wife. Can you inagine living with a wind bag like that?? Lmao

#504 5 years ago

Still not as many words as Dr Frightner

#505 5 years ago

Humor is not short or easy...

Here is the Cliff Notes version.

I wrote it, you read it, you laughed.

If your experience was different, my apologies.

#506 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

Here is the Cliff Notes version.
    I wrote it, you read it, you laughed.
    If your experience was different, my apologies.

We still love you Bubblehead, its all good brother!

#507 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

NO MERCY.
    NO 9K PINBALL MACHINES.

Hell to the Yeah.

#508 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

I was poking fun at Yelobird... no ill feelings at all Who-Dey this is all in fun, and he was poking fun at me too.

#509 5 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

I skipped right over it too. But he did drop the mic at the end so it must have been very impactful.

#510 5 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

Not enough pics for me. I’m out.

#511 5 years ago

Things sure have changed in this thread since Dr. Frightner isnt here and thats a FACT!!

#512 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Things sure have changed in this thread since Dr. Frightner isnt here and thats a FACT!!

Clearly it has to be Dr Kman's mouthpiece? LOL

#513 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Clearly it has to be Dr Kman's mouthpiece? LOL

Well there is something definitely weird going on. Ive never heard of the guy before until he was on K mans show and now all of the sudden he’s on Pinside blasting everyone on here. He does have a lot of FACTS though I’ll say that much for him.

#514 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

06D0C3DB-AD68-488A-9F6F-062FAA3872A5 (resized).jpeg06D0C3DB-AD68-488A-9F6F-062FAA3872A5 (resized).jpeg
    #515 5 years ago

Dr Kman is like a bulldog ready to bust his chain right now

FACT

#516 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

That’s a fact. After meeting and talking with Bubblehead last week it’s hard to think his posts no matter how long are anything but sincere. When writing I notice he needs you to feel the emotion of his topic which can become lengthy. He’s good by me no doubt.

#517 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Shhhhhh. Don’t say the Dr word! You’ll awaken him with a fury.

#518 5 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Shhhhhh. Don’t say the Dr word! You’ll awaken him with a fury.

He isnt allowed back here for 2 days so its going to be peaceful around here and thats a FACT.

#519 5 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

That’s a fact. After meeting and talking with Bubblehead last week it’s hard to think his posts no matter how long are anything but sincere. When writing I notice he needs you to feel the emotion of his topic which can become lengthy. He’s good by me no doubt.

Bubblehead is good people for real. I hope he gets his MBRLE soon so he can enjoy it.

#520 5 years ago

I’m waiting it out, a whole bunch of people are. If I jumped ship now it would be to a JJP POTC or Munsters Premium, or BKSoF Premium, or the new BM66XXXLSCALIFRAGILISTICESPEALIDOSIOUS.

#521 5 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

JUST FOR YOU BROTHER! LOL

ED0AC495-264C-41DC-9B67-30D36705F8AD.gifED0AC495-264C-41DC-9B67-30D36705F8AD.gif
    #522 5 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Just look at Metallica and ACDC sales....GNR is in the same league....music and pinball work well...

I agree on the Music and pinball tandem but I don’t see GNR having the mass market appeal of those games you mention...especially AC/DC. Would also be the second release of the title as we know. I personally hope they do it and i would by the CE but my money is on this not happening.

I know this won’t be a popular opinion but I think they would do much better with Queen. Wish somebody would do Queen.

#523 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cserold:

I agree on the Music and pinball tandem but I don’t see GNR having the mass market appeal of those games you mention...especially AC/DC.

Did you miss the early to mid 90's when GnR was literally the biggest, most controversial and most dangerous band on planet earth?

I think they are absolutely a PERFECT fit for the younger part of the demographic that is buying pins these days (35 - 50 years old).

#524 5 years ago
    Quoted from anathematize:

Did you miss the early to mid 90's when GnR was literally the biggest, most controversial and most dangerous band on planet earth?
    I think they are absolutely a PERFECT fit for the younger part of the demographic that is buying pins these days (35 - 50 years old).

I’m 39 and would love a GNR pin from JJP

#525 5 years ago
    Quoted from Greenandwhite:

To posts in all caps it must be serious. Do you post on Rolex or Mercedes forums about other items that are too expensive and therefore you are not interested in?

Only when I know it's going to rile up the QQ Crew?

I was VERY interested in WOZ when it was a 6500 game. I'm a convert on Dialed In, though I still think the theme is dumb, the gameplay is great. The spinning wheels on POTC proto were amazing and it's a damn shame they didn't make it, but it's still a good game. Hobbit was kind of disappointing trash, but I did play a lot of it...it was just soulless and hollow on that early code. I can't speak for current revisions.

What I am NOT, however, is being taken for a fool by a company that has repeatedly shown they're willing to crap on their prior purchasers to make a quick buck to stay afloat, versus having some actual business sense. Or by a company that thinks that changing the price on an already released game four times is a good move. Releasing new LE versions of the same bloody game over and over ad infinitum is moronic. JJP is well beyond the point of reasonable expectation that they SHOULD be able to get out more than one game every 2-3 years, and at prices that are at least somewhat competitive with other manufacturers, but time and time again, we keep seeing that's not happening. When is the other shoe going to drop? How many more WOZ can they sell to stay afloat, really?

I don't think they deserve any pity for these ridiculous decisions they keep making.

#526 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

He isnt allowed back here for 2 days so its going to be peaceful around here and thats a FACT.

He is using this time collecting FACTS and writing manifestos to spring on us. Prepare yourselves, brother!

#527 5 years ago

I really hope JJP doesn’t do GNR. Music pins have been overdone in the last few years and probably have the shortest theme lifespan. I won’t consider any music pin - even for bands/groups I love - because I think they become dated faster than just about any other theme.

Unless JJP has some market research that shows GNR is going to be a massive hit for them, they should stick with more mainstream themes. I’m not sure what happened with JJPOTC; I expected it to be a better seller. Maybe it was the neutered IP, maybe wheel-gate, maybe the movie franchise tie-in was too little, too late.

JJP did reasonably well with Hobbit and Dialed In but needs another WOZ level seller to solidify their position in the industry rather than being remembered as a one-hit wonder. And they need to do it without sacrificing quality and depth or crossing the $10k mark for a Standard.

#528 5 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

Unless JJP has some market research that shows GNR is going to be a massive hit for them, they should stick with more mainstream themes. I’m not sure what happened with JJPOTC; I expected it to be a better seller. Maybe it was the neutered IP, maybe wheel-gate, maybe the movie franchise tie-in was too little, too late.

GnR is a huge license and great theme for pinball. In my opinion it’ll be for JJP what Metallica and AC/DC were for Stern.

A manufacturer can do whatever they want to with a music theme. If you want the GnR band members to battle aliens or travel back in time and have adventures to their music then you can do that (IMDN comes to mind). If you want a simple rock concert you can do that to (AC/DC comes to mind).

#529 5 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

I’m not sure what happened with JJPOTC; I expected it to be a better seller. Maybe it was the neutered IP, maybe wheel-gate, maybe the movie franchise tie-in was too little, too late.

-wrong theme at the worst time in its history as a franchise

-terrible theme integration with almost zero assets that resulted in an executive being fired

-removal of marquee mechs after taking deposits

-significant delays in production

pretty easy to see what happened.

#530 5 years ago

-terrible theme integration with almost zero assets that resulted in an executive being fired

Well, POTC did win best theme integration as well as toys and innovation at the TWIPYs

Theres much more to theme integration then video clips as POTC proves.

#531 5 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

I really hope JJP doesn’t do GNR. Music pins have been overdone in the last few years and probably have the shortest theme lifespan. I won’t consider any music pin - even for bands/groups I love - because I think they become dated faster than just about any other theme.
    JJP did reasonably well with Hobbit and Dialed In but needs another WOZ level seller to solidify their position in the industry rather than being remembered as a one-hit wonder. And they need to do it without sacrificing quality and depth or crossing the $10k mark for a Standard.

What makes you think POTC didn’t sell well? The facts we have indicate it was an excellent seller. There are distributors with waiting lists for POTC LE that are going unfilled because JJP couldn’t make enough before switching to the next game.

#532 5 years ago

And yet they have sold them as fast as they can make them. No distributor is sitting on a bunch of unsold POTC, particularly the LE. If any do have them it’s maybe a standard or two and a CE.

#533 5 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

And yet they have sold them as fast as they can make them. No distributor is sitting on a bunch of unsold POTC, particularly the LE. If any do have them it’s maybe a standard or two and a CE.

they started really selling once it was announced they were stopping production. lets not sit here and pretend these things were flying off the shelf before that - because they were not.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Well, POTC did win best theme integration as well as toys and innovation at the TWIPYs
    Theres much more to theme integration then video clips as POTC proves.

subjective community awards are subjective community awards.

a top executive was fired for how poor of a theme licensing deal was made on Pirates. that is an objective fact.

AND BEFORE YOU CALL ME A HATER I REALLY LIKE THE GAME - but it could have been so much more.

i'm capable of taking a 30,000ft view on this which most people seem unable to do. $9,500+ spent makes for a highly biased opinion.

#534 5 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

What makes you think POTC didn’t sell well? The facts we have indicate it was an excellent seller. There are distributors with waiting lists for POTC LE that are going unfilled because JJP couldn’t make enough before switching to the next game.

Maybe. But I’ve heard that Dialed In has sold better.

I don’t buy the “we ran out of parts” line on why POTC production was stopped. There has to be another reason if indeed the game was a hit. Maybe “we couldn’t get more parts in time” to keep the line moving but otherwise it doesn’t make sense to stop making the game if indeed you have hundreds of orders on the table (and I doubt there is that much unfilled demand).

#535 5 years ago

GNR is a slam dunk. The DE version is commonly referred to as the best DE game in their history and it continues to rise in value nearly doubling the next most valuable DE games on the market. The market wants GNR. They are not for sale often and when they do they sell quick at high prices. With Pinsound and speaker upgrades it holds up incredibly well against most modern games.

The music is timeless and as long as they don’t screw up the artwork and as long as they stay focused on the popular era Band in their heyday - this will likely outsell all other JJP games to date.

#536 5 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

$10,000 by Christmas used to be a Pinside joke JJP has made it a standard price it is the price not the games that have slowed sales Jack has over stepped on price

#537 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dkjimbo:

GNR is a slam dunk. ... - this will likely outsell all other JJP games to date.

Kudos to JJP if it does, but I just don’t see it.

#538 5 years ago

they started really selling once it was announced they were stopping production. lets not sit here and pretend these things were flying off the shelf before that - because they were not.

subjective community awards are subjective community awards.
    a top executive was fired for how poor of a theme licensing deal was made on Pirates. that is an objective fact.
    AND BEFORE YOU CALL ME A HATER I REALLY LIKE THE GAME - but it could have been so much more.
    i'm capable of taking a 30,000ft view on this which most people seem unable to do. $9,500+ spent makes for a highly biased opinion.

And there are plenty of people like myself who bought it BECAUSE the game is light on movie assets. JD sucks and just playing movie clips is lazy af and gets old fast.
    If I wanted to watch the movie, I'd go watch the movie. But I don't, because the movies pretty much sucked.

#539 5 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

And there are plenty of people like myself who bought it BECAUSE the game is light on movie assets. JD sucks and just playing movie clips is lazy af and gets old fast.
    If I wanted to watch the movie, I'd go watch the movie. But I don't, because the movies pretty much sucked.

That’s a lot of money to pay for a game which is based on a series of movies which sucked so much.

#540 5 years ago

You clearly don't understand my point. That's ok.

#541 5 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

You clearly don't understand my point. That's ok.

I understood the point, I was just taking a cheap shot at the game.

#542 5 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

Maybe. But I’ve heard that Dialed In has sold better.
    I don’t buy the “we ran out of parts” line on why POTC production was stopped.

I do. Put yourself in their shoes...you have to preorder (and pre-pay) for N parts to build N games.
    That is a substantial cash outlay, and with disc-gate (and people pulling back preorders) they made a conservative bet to get parts for a reasonable run they thought they’d sell.

In the end the game turned out amazing and everyone loves it, so it’s a shame they are already tooling up for the next game. But hey, machines are out there if you want them. Going upmarket to the CE is not a bad option.

#543 5 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

I do. Put yourself in their shoes...you have to preorder (and pre-pay) for N parts to build N games.
    That is a substantial cash outlay, and with disc-gate (and people pulling back preorders) they made a conservative bet to get parts for a reasonable run they thought they’d sell.
    In the end the game turned out amazing and everyone loves it, so it’s a shame they are already tooling up for the next game. But hey, machines are out there if you want them. Going upmarket to the CE is not a bad option.

If the CE's weren't all sold also... Everyone can love or hate as they wish nothing wrong with that. Pinball is such a personal individual hobby it would be impossible to build a game for All. Thats why I rarely take much value in the opinions on forums as they are just that no matter How hard some fight to make you see their opinion. I love them all, some more than others. We all wish they were cheaper but hey its a pirates life for me... (subliminal messaging....) lol

#545 5 years ago

They made a "last call" for POTC because Wonka is ready and in order to launch two games this year they had to move on.

Simple as that.

They will re run Potc next year, Black Pearl edition.

#546 5 years ago

I've never seen someone more obsessed then yourself with trying to constantly bash and put down JJP. Why is that? What did JJP do to piss you off so much?

There's multiple distributors out there with ads for the game but they are many are sold out as believe it or not ads don't update themselves...

#547 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

They made a "last call" for POTC because Wonka is ready and in order to launch two games this year they had to move on.
    Simple as that.
    They will re run Potc next year, Black Pearl edition.

That's not a for sure thing, they may or may not. Personally I'm thinking not. Did you take that one guys $500 bet that Pirates won't be made again?

#548 5 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

That's not a for sure thing, they may or may not. Personally I'm thinking not. Did you take that one guys $500 bet that Pirates won't be made again?

I didn't see it but I'll take it! A no brainer.

#549 5 years ago

Sorry, too busy setting up and tearing down tpf and getting ready for mgc to update the website. I assure you that I only have 2 standards left. I wish I had 20 le left. Between tpf and the week following I could have easily sold those plus more. Please update your post to reflect my current standings. No ce or le and 2 standards. I am in constant contact with other jjp dealer to find out where to send customers when they call. I haven't talked to automated, but everyone else I have talked with is out of le. I believe gary at able electronics has one of the last ce left. I would call that a shortage of games.

There are 602 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-current-take-on-jjp-pinball-after-tpf/page/11?hl=holminone and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.