Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 122 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by herg
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4100_2.JPG
    IMG_4448.JPG
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    IMG_3000.JPG
    IMG_2998.JPG
    IMG_2995.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider john_i.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#33 11 years ago

Thank you so much for designing this!! I have been thinking about designing a similar board for a long time now. This board should be required for all machines with LED retrofits! It turns a headache causing nightmare into something that is actually an improvement over the original bulbs. Hopefully these will be sold in mass soon, so I can actually start playing LED games at shows rather than avoiding them like the plague.

The design I was thinking about would also provide dimmable DC voltage to the GI light too in order to avoid the strobing on the GI lights.

So, you kind of imply that the matrix can be a mix of LEDs and bulbs? Or does it have to be a complete swap out?

Also, a guy down here in Florida is working on fixing the GI circuits by modding the driver board itself to run DC voltage to the LEDs:

http://www.southernpinballforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=1017.0

John

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

You gonna rip them out of your WoZ when you get it?

I don't use LEDs. I rip every last one of them out of machines that I get. On the other hand, I love the LEDs in my ACDC BiB, because they are run on a real LED controller. They look awesome! Nice and bright with no flicker, strobe or ghosting. No headache either. The LEDs in WoZ will be awesome too, so no need to rip them out either.

I only hope this product and/or ones like it catch on in a big way and a similar product for GI lights is created too.

John

1 week later
    3 weeks later
    #49 11 years ago

I have to say that I am normally an LED hater and I really love this board! It immediately takes away the flickering from insert LEDs and makes a nice smooth clean light that still "pops" just like LEDs always did - only better. It also gives the user individual control over the brightness of each insert. No more guessing which LED brightness to buy. Just buy the brightest you can get and customize them to your perfect level for each spot!

No flicker/strobe
    No Ghosting
    Adjustable brightness
    Eliminates the instant on/off to make light shows looks like they were programmed to look - only better!

I definitely give this one two thumbs up. When I first bought my No Fear months ago, I immediately pulled out all of the LEDs. Now with LED OCD, I have put them all back and love the way it looks!

I will have the machine at the Southern Pinball Festival in Orlando.

#52 11 years ago
    Quoted from castlesteve:

While no doubt this is a lot of work and what I'm about to say is no slam on your effort, but I for one actually prefer the crispness and rapid response over the lazy incandescent bulbs. I'm sure I'm not in the minority on this.
    If wpc designers had cheap LEDs and the budget to use them, I believe 100% they would have.

The games are programmed for the slower response time. Not like we are talking about seconds here, it is small fractions of seconds. And by the way, the response time can also be set with this board to your personal liking.

Take a look at WoZ. Keith has chosen to make the inserts have the slower response time on this state of the art machine. Best of both worlds. The bright sharp light of multicolor LEDs and the twinkling of an incandescent! The WoZ inserts look AWESOME and this board basically allows an older machine to look the same. Lyman has done similar on ACDC and he *is* a designer from back in the WPC days...

#54 11 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

that means they would have to have a response rate of 1/250 of a second, which I'm guessing is too fast to notice any flicker?

Yes, the second you install the board and power up, the LED flicker is completely gone! Believe me, I am someone who can really see the flicker and gets a headache from normal LED'ed games. I was amazed. No flicker or ghosting and no headaches. Having the further ability to customize to personal taste is the icing on the cake. Customizing is what LEDs seem to be all about.

1 week later
    #80 11 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Is $150 a realistic price point? Seems a little high for just fading LEDs.

It removes flicker, removes ghosting, gives individual control over each LED brightness, and yes, makes the LEDs smoother like a real bulb. People spend a ton of money putting LEDs in pins and this makes them look a lot better. It also lets you buy cheaper LEDs and make them look better than the top of the line no flix/no ghost...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider john_i.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-current-project-led-lamp-controller?tu=john_i and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.