IMG_0670.JPG
IMG_0664.JPG
IMG_0668.JPG
IMG_0666.JPG
IMG_0667.JPG
IMG_0665.JPG
IMG_0663.JPG
IMG_0661.JPG
There are 96 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

About 4 days ago while doing my daily craigslist search for machines I came across an add for estate/yard sale. It said it was today starting at 9 am. It had a few things listed for sale and one of the items was "pinball machine", didn't say what it was. So I figured I better go out and look cause if I didn't I would forever wonder what the machine was. The sale was about 20 miles from me. All week in my mind i am curious what it will be, i figure its some EM or something that will most likely have a complete rats nest in it and be tore up.

So today rolls around, i get up get ready and head out there. The ad said no one before 9 am, i wanted to be respectful so i showed up right at 9. There already people there buying things, mainly seniors looking at nick nacks and what not. I start looking around when i notice the garage to the house open and more items inside. I go inside it and start looking when i see the machine sitting in the corner by itself. I still call myself a noob when it comes to this hobbie cause i haven't been around it as long as others and am still learning something new everyday, however i know right away this machine is on the rarer side.

No price tag was posted on anything, so i walk over the gentleman hosting the yard sale and ask how much for the pinball? He tells me the price and then follows it up with well it doesn't work, it wont turn on. It was working fine before we moved and then it spent 6 hours in a moving truck and hasn't turned on since and has sat here. I tell okay, well ill go ahead and take a chance and ill buy it. Hand him over the cash along with the cash for a candy machine i also bought from him. I take the candy machine and load it in my trunk.

Now i take a big gamble. To be honest this machine isn't what im into as far as games goes. I know its highly sought after by some and is a grail pin to others. Perhaps me not being into the machine is the reason i took a gamble.

I tell the gentleman that i am on my way to work and that i don't have a truck, i use my fathers truck whenever i buy games to pick them up with, however my father is at work and wont be off for till the afternoon. I ask him if i he is willing to let me leave it there and i will come pick it up this afternoon. I know in this hobby if you don't load it and leave, someone will be right behind you ready to load it and leave, but as i said i took the chance. He says absolutely no problem, we will be here all day come get it whenever you like. He sticks my cash in his pocket and we shack hands and i leave. I call my father and leave him a voicemail asking if he could help me move a game when he gets off work.

I know i need a truck, its on my list of things i am looking for. My father is really the only person i am close with whos truck i can use. Pretty much all of my friends don't have trucks. It sucks.

All day while i am at work i wonder if my machine will be there or if someone was right behind me and now it was in their truck. My father calls me at 1 saying yeah when do you want to go. I tell him i have lunch at 2, he says okay ill meet you at your work and we can go. We meet up and i tell him, don't be surprised if we show up, its gone, and i get handed my cash back.

We get there and to our surprise its still in the same spot untouched with a sold sign on it. I asked the guy if he had anybody else come look at it, and he said a couple people showed up but i told them it was sold and they left. I thanked him many times and gave him some extra cash for holding it for me.

Now time for pictures of the mystery game i purchased today.

IMG_0955.JPGIMG_0955.JPG
IMG_0956.JPGIMG_0956.JPG
IMG_0957.JPGIMG_0957.JPG
IMG_0958.JPGIMG_0958.JPG
IMG_0959.JPGIMG_0959.JPG
IMG_0960.JPGIMG_0960.JPG
IMG_0961.JPGIMG_0961.JPG
IMG_0962.JPGIMG_0962.JPG
IMG_0963.JPGIMG_0963.JPG
IMG_0964.JPGIMG_0964.JPG
IMG_0965.JPGIMG_0965.JPG

I have no idea what im going to do with it. Like i said older pre-dmd games aren't my thing. I will most likely sell it off or trade it towards something i actually want. Still am going to get it going though and enjoy it while its here.

Oh and i already got it to power up, but its acting funny, wont start a game, and the display isn't lighting.

#2 9 years ago

Wow I'm jealous. Great score!

#3 9 years ago

So, for those of us with inquiring minds, what did you actually pay for the game? It looks like it's been played plenty as the playfield is pretty worn but if you can get it to work, it'll be a fun players' game.

Dave

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from Trident:

Wow I'm jealous. Great score!

depends on what he paid i suppose , and im guessing by the story he got it pretty cheap. by the way nice story i always like the ones with a good ending

#5 9 years ago

cabinet looks good. Playfield is trashed. It's only a great score if you got it cheap. Backglass looks great. Not working in this condition, if you got it for $200 or less, you did ok. You have some room to fix things.

Just because the GI's come on, doesn't mean it's booting up. GI's will come on with practically every board missing.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from egyptrus:

So, for those of us with inquiring minds, what did you actually pay for the game? It looks like it's been played plenty as the playfield is pretty worn but if you can get it to work, it'll be a fun players' game.
Dave

I knew this would be first question. I haven't decided if I am ready to say what I actually paid for it. Lets just say it was a good deal.

#7 9 years ago

oh and for everyone already blowing up my inbox with pm's asking me for how much I want for it. I really don't have a price yet, you are free to make me an offer, but like I said im not sure what im doing with it yet.

#8 9 years ago

very nice. covet this machine. hoping you got a killer deal with that playfield.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

cabinet looks good. Playfield is trashed. It's only a great score if you got it cheap. Backglass looks great. Not working in this condition, if you got it for $200 or less, you did ok. You have some room to fix things.
Just because the GI's come on, doesn't mean it's booting up. GI's will come on with practically every board missing.

1500-1800 neo... Being Cali I bet he gets more...

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

1500-1800 neo... Being Cali I bet he gets more...

this was the price range I was thinking it was worth around the 2k mark, but I was actually going to ask everyones opinion on what its worth.

#11 9 years ago

Great find! I am surprised one can have such a trashed PF and a very good looking cabinet!? He played with rusty balls?

Fathom is a very good game, and a player's game. You may actually like it!

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

I knew this would be first question. I haven't decided if I am ready to say what I actually paid for it. Lets just say it was a good deal.

well ill keep checking back on the thread, in case you decide to reveal what you paid for it.

nice pin btw.

#13 9 years ago

Did all those Bally pins come stamped with (I assume) the serial number in the cabinet like that?

#14 9 years ago

20140607_085220.jpg20140607_085220.jpg Nice find. Only 71 machines made between our CL finds.

#15 9 years ago

It's cool that you bought the pinball machine to flip it. Since it was obviously a game you aren't interested in and you are taking offers, I'm assuming you are going to make a lot of money on it.

I guess I wouldn't have bragged about. Why do some flippers get praised while others get jumped on? I don't care at all if people flip games, this is an expensive hobby. You obviously got it very cheap, to emphasize what a great deal you got and then not tell people what you paid is funny.

The only reason you buy a broken game you don't want is if it's well below market value, which is what you said was the reason you bought the game.

I can get plenty excited for guys getting new games, less so for their fix and flips.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from raddroxx:

Nice find. Only 71 machines made between our CL finds.

20140607_085220.jpg 19 KB

Quoted from Jasontaps:

Did all those Bally pins come stamped with (I assume) the serial number in the cabinet like that?

Yes, they did. EFA3906 means Electronic Fathom, 2906th game off the line. Also, same serial number would be stamped on the head, too.

#17 9 years ago

This situation would have made my year. Very cool find.

#18 9 years ago

As far as starting a game, make sure that the game has three balls in it or it won't start. Could be something else, but this is one of those Bally games that won't start a game unless it has all the balls in it.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

As far as starting a game, make sure that the game has three balls in it or it won't start. Could be something else, but this is one of those Bally games that won't start a game unless it has all the balls in it.

That is correct. Must have 3 balls in it. Also, this is most common part to fail. Only played a handful of games before the original broke. Found them in EBay.

1402152838967.jpg1402152838967.jpg
#20 9 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

It's cool that you bought the pinball machine to flip it. Since it was obviously a game aren't interested in and you are taking offers, I'm assuming you are going to make a lot of money on it.
I guess I wouldn't have bragged about. Why do some flippers get praised while others get jumped on? I don't care at all if people flip games, this is an expensive hobby. You obviously got it very cheap, to emphasize what a great deal you got and then not tell people what you paid is funny.
The only reason you buy a broken game you don't want is if it's well below market value, which is what you said was the reason you bought the game.
I can get plenty excited for guys getting new games, less so for their fix and flips.

LMFAO. I can't help but laugh every time I see a post like this. Love how some people get butt hurt over someone else's score. He found it. He bought it. He can do whatever the F:-)ck he wants to do with it. And just fyi, I scored mine for $300 and if I decide to sell it and make a profit, so be it. It's my decision. It's your decision to buy it or not. Get a tampon, you're flowing heavy today.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from raddroxx:

LMFAO. I can't help but laugh every time I see a post like this. Love how some people get butt hurt over someone else's score. He found it. He bought it. He can do whatever the F:-)ck he wants to do with it. And just fyi, I scored mine for $300 and if I decide to sell it and make a profit, so be it. It's my decision. It's your decision to buy it or not. Get a tampon, you're flowing heavy today.

I totally agree! And I get a kick out of how people won't tell what they paid. It doesn't hurt your sale, it's worth what's it's worth, no matter if you got it for free. Ed

#22 9 years ago

Good score and great story......... for you to give the owner cash for holding it Id say you got it for $50-$100

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

Well, I was originally going to say that we have no way to know if it's a great score or not without knowing what you paid for it. So, rather than say that, I figured I'd just ask what you paid for it and then I would formulate my own opinion on whether it was a great score or not.

I can understand you not wanting to say what you paid for it, especially if you're just flipping it as some will want to factor that into the price. They'll want to say "but you only paid $XXX, how can you justify asking $XXX" but the point is the game is worth what someone will pay for it. With the playfield as trashed as it is, this is a game I probably wouldn't have bought but if you can find someone who's willing to buy it, warts and all, and you can make a little money on it then you've done well.

Dave

#24 9 years ago

Fathom is an awesome game. Play it and enjoy.

#25 9 years ago

I really hope those $2k talks, were being funny. Sometimes on here, I do see outlandish stuff like that and they are serious, so it's hard to sort out the sarcasm.

#26 9 years ago

I say what's the point in telling the story, if your not going to tell the WHOLE story.

#27 9 years ago

First, I hope you got a bargain on it. Once you get it running do yourself a huge favor and play the snot out of it for a while. I realize you said you're more a DMD kind of guy, but Fathom is an exquisite game. Give it a chance and it will win you over.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I really hope those $2k talks, were being funny. Sometimes on here, I do see outlandish stuff like that and they are serious, so it's hard to sort out the sarcasm.

Nope, a playable Fathom will go for that much.

Not my favorite game, and I would not buy one for what they go for, but the market is the market. When it sells it doesn't matter what you or I think it should sell for, or how much we would spend on one. There are enough people that want one, so he should try and get as much out of it as the market will bare.

You did the same thing when you sold off many in your collection, so why would it be hard to "fathom" why somebody else would do the same?

#29 9 years ago

Great find. Fathom is an amazing game and for the price that they are going for these days, I'd give it some play time before you try to sell it.

#30 9 years ago

You can get $1500 for it as-is. Fathom is one of the more-desirable early Bally SS pins and I would take it over just about any DMD.

#31 9 years ago

I'm not sure you read what I wrote, but you quoted me? I only had two points. Pinside seems to bash the crap out of some flippers and then praise others. I guess if you're in the club you're cool. My other point was, if you are going to flip to the game, maybe don't brag about how cheap you bought it to the people you are going to flip it to.

Feel free to disagree. Nowhere, did anyone say he shouldn't "do whatever the F:)ck he wants to do with it." And nobody is "butthurt," I've never understood people who bashed people for "flipping pins" as damn near everyone on here has or does.

Quoted from raddroxx:

Love how some people get butt hurt over someone else's score. He found it. He bought it. He can do whatever the F:-)ck he wants to do with it.

#32 9 years ago

don't sell solid states short. I've owned most B/W dmds and still own a few as you can tell my my collection.
I've picked up a Warlok and FP2 recently and they are awesome games. they get played as much as any of my DMDs. Just as challenging in their own way. get it working, give it a chance and really learn the rules and see if it doesn't hook you. there's a reason it's worth more than most in that era.
Great find and congratulations!

#33 9 years ago

I was at the NW Pinball Show today and was shocked to see that Fantasy Pinball has a Fathom playfield on display for sale. Pretty sure it was for the original advertised price around $700. They also had two High Speed playfields for sale.

#34 9 years ago

I will take an early Bally SS any day over many DMD games out there.

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I was at the NW Pinball Show today and was shocked to see that Fantasy Pinball has a Fathom playfield on display for sale. Pretty sure it was for the original advertised price around $700. They also had two High Speed playfields for sale.

PPS has them

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

I will take an early Bally SS any day over many DMD games out there.

I've had a lot of games, but as I've settled down to about a dozen and what has lasted and makes up most of my collection are the early Bally SS machines. I used to love the hunt for games, but those times are pretty much gone. Now I focus on restoring my old Bally's and making new things, like the High Speed clear ramp. Have a fully, top to bottom restored KISS, a Fathom with a new playfield installed and I have new playfields for my EBD, Centaur, Playboy and Eight Ball. Also have a nice Bally Rolling stones and a Strikes and Spares.

#37 9 years ago

just tried their website, its listed as a newly added item but when you click buy it says out of stock..... I would like to get one to put in this machine so if anyone has any leads please let me know.

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I only had two points. Pinside seems to bash the crap out of some flippers and then praise others. I guess if you're in the club you're cool. My other point was, if you are going to flip to the game, maybe don't brag about how cheap you bought it to .

These two points are whey I didn't post a price. I have seen people post about great deals they get, only to get bashed when they then try and sell the item for a profit. My post was mainly to say that good deals can still be had. It seems there are 100 bad craigslist stories to every good 1, so mine was a don't give up faith post. It was also to say that if you see something for sale just listed as "pinball machine" to take a chance and go look at it cause you never know what you might find, I sure didn't expect to go home with a Fathom.

Now for all of those wondering what I paid, I will go ahead and post it. I paid the guy 200. He set the price, and I kindly obliged.

#39 9 years ago

Good deal.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

These two points are whey I didn't post a price. I have seen people post about great deals they get, only to get bashed when they then try and sell the item for a profit. My post was mainly to say that good deals can still be had. It seems there are 100 bad craigslist stories to every good 1, so mine was a don't give up faith post. It was also to say that if you see something for sale just listed as "pinball machine" to take a chance and go look at it cause you never know what you might find, I sure didn't expect to go home with a Fathom.
Now for all of those wondering what I paid, I will go ahead and post it. I paid the guy 200. He set the price, and I kindly obliged.

And the way I look at it, once that transaction ended, it should have no effect on the next transaction should you decide to sell it or use it as trading material. It did not matter to you what the seller paid for it, so it should not matter what you paid to get the machine, if a potential buyer wants it. I understood what you were saying about your experience in the post. There are some good deals out there. And some good CL stories. But like you said, for every good one there are 100 bad. I once posted on here that I had a good CL experience. There were zero replies. If it was a CL horror story there would have been pages of them. LOL. Anyway, good luck with your new machine whatever you choose to do with it.

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

just tried their website, its listed as a newly added item but when you click buy it says out of stock..... I would like to get one to put in this machine so if anyone has any leads please let me know.

What's the link?

#43 9 years ago

If you get it fully restored and put a new playfield in it, you can probably get $1500 out of it. It's cool, but there are a lot better machines out there at the $2000 mark. With 3500 of them made, I wouldn't exactly call it rare.

Quoted from Dr-Willy:

To be honest this machine isn't what im into as far as games goes.

Unfortunately, these older games are like that with most new collectors. The demand for them just isn't as high as you might think. It seems collectors today are into newer stern games and have no interest in fixing these older titles.

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from donjagra:

If you get it fully restored and put a new playfield in it, you can probably get $1500 out of it. It's cool, but there are a lot better machines out there at the $2000 mark. With 3500 of them made, I wouldn't exactly call it rare.

Unfortunately, these older games are like that with most new collectors. The demand for them just isn't as high as you might think. It seems collectors today are into newer stern games and have no interest in fixing these older titles.

Why don't you show us all where we can buy a fully-restored Fathom with a brand-new playfield in it for $1,500.

ROTFLMAO!

In case you haven't noticed, you can't even find a repop playfield for under $1,000.

I'll give him $1500 for it right now.

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Why don't you show us all where we can buy a fully-restored Fathom with a brand-new playfield in it for $1,500.
ROTFLMAO!
In case you haven't noticed, you can't even find a repop playfield for under $1,000.
I'll give him $1500 for it right now.

Agree. More like $5k for a fully-restored Fathom. That guy is WAY off.

#46 9 years ago

I had someone ask me for a few pix of the backglass so figured I would also post a few here. Its in great shape, very clean. I only found what appear to be a couple of light scratchs, although they aren't through the paint on the front, so not sure if they are scratchs or something that could be cleaned off.

IMG_0661.JPGIMG_0661.JPG
IMG_0662.JPGIMG_0662.JPG
IMG_0663.JPGIMG_0663.JPG
IMG_0664.JPGIMG_0664.JPG
IMG_0665.JPGIMG_0665.JPG
IMG_0666.JPGIMG_0666.JPG
IMG_0667.JPGIMG_0667.JPG
IMG_0673.JPGIMG_0673.JPG
IMG_0672.JPGIMG_0672.JPG
IMG_0671.JPGIMG_0671.JPG
IMG_0670.JPGIMG_0670.JPG

IMG_0668.JPGIMG_0668.JPG
#47 9 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

Nope, a playable Fathom will go for that much.
Not my favorite game, and I would not buy one for what they go for, but the market is the market. When it sells it doesn't matter what you or I think it should sell for, or how much we would spend on one. There are enough people that want one, so he should try and get as much out of it as the market will bare.
You did the same thing when you sold off many in your collection, so why would it be hard to "fathom" why somebody else would do the same?

They do not go for 2k. And did you see the pictures of that playfeild? You will not get anywhere near 2k for this one in that condition.

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

They do not go for 2k. And did you see the pictures of that playfeild? You will not get anywhere near 2k for this one in that condition.

Neo, I know you mean well by trying to educate others on the prices of machines. Unfortunately a lot of time you just have to let the market show what a machine's value is.

Most of us wouldn't pay that for this title but others will. Easiest to just let them go.

Congrats to the buyer for picking up a machine that could have sat for another 20 years or ended up in the trash.

chris

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

They do not go for 2k.

Yes, they do. He can get that much for it when he tries to sell it. There are people that will pay that, for that condition.

When you sold your pins, you asked higher than market prices because those were prices that you thought were crazy enough prices to induce you to sell. It is only logical others would do the same as what you did.

Here is one that sold for 2750, and it would not be what I call "minty"... and it is not in California which tends to skew towards higher prices.

ebay.com link: Bally Fathom Pinball Machine

#50 9 years ago

I sold one last year with a nicer original playfield in it than the OP's is but the cabinet didn't look quite as nice for $2800.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

7,032 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Zemst
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

£ 195.00
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 10.00
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Akron, OH
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

There are 96 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-craigslist-find-for-the-day/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.