Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by hassanchop
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

from one moment to another, my Congo machine just stopped working.
all the coils dont work. they do a little movement, meaning they have power but not even enough to move a ball.
all lights work fine and the rom seems ok to.
i turn the game on, all seems ok, then i press start and it starts looking for the balls, but all the coils just do a tiny noise. kinda like they dont have high power.

i went to the back box and i noticed the 108 fuse is burned. it says solenoid secondary.
could this be it?
just wanted to know if this could be it before i order a fuse set, or if there are anymore tests i could do.

please excuse my ignorance, but i am a newbie in fixing pins

#2 12 years ago

Well yea. If a fuse is out replace it. But they're slow blow fuses and you usually can't tell they are out by looking at them. You said coils but not which ones. Sorry but your lack of info makes it impossible to help you without being psychic. If they are flipper coils that would explain the low power as flippers have hold voltage. But the fuse for that will be dedicate one per flipper.

#3 12 years ago

about the fuse, the tiny wire inside is clearly broken. that is why i thought it was damaged.
i posted the name of the game in the tittle but i forgot in the text. sorry lol
it is congo.
when i turn the game on, the game starts to look for balls. you know, that mode when he fires all the coils. flippers, ball poppers, auto plungers, all of them.
i even went to the test menu to test the flippers. and it was the same. just a tiny tiny fire in the flipper. it moves about 1/10 of an inch up..
looks like the machine doesnt have high power.. just enough to turn on, the lights and the rom.

#4 12 years ago

If your 20v solenoid secondary fuse it out then none of your standard power coils should work at all. I'm not familiar with the WPC-95/S system so I can't say that for sure. The same goes for your flippers, you should get 1 flip (or multiple if Fliptronics sees a fault and fires the 50v coil again) and no hold power. But that's not that case for you either.

#5 12 years ago

Replace the fuse first off...you should be able to buy them before ordering them. hardware store, or car supply store.
With power off, disconnect and reconnect all the connections to the board in the backbox, and pull out all fuses and put them back in.

my NF did this to me and i cried about for a day or two instead of just trying this very basic thing, which fixed it! Always try the easiest thing first.

probably you have different rows or solenoids, so go into the test menu and test them, probably 1 row will not work. It'll say like "coil 1-8," Coil 9-16,"or something like that.

basically with the fuse blown you solenoid that kicks the ball out of the trough doesn't work, so the game notices this and will not start. NF will say "Initialing please wait" but wouldn't start.

#6 12 years ago

My Congo did the same thing...coils were very weak, not strong enough to pop the ball out of the volcano...

I replaced the 6.3 Amp fuse (secondary solenoid fuse) and it has worked fine every since, don't know what caused it to blow in the first place.

Phoebe

#7 12 years ago

just bought some fuses at a store today morning. will test them when i get home.
anyway i have some videos from yesterday, to show the problem better:

#8 12 years ago

Why would a single fuse cause ALL coils to be weak? Does WPC-95 modulate power somehow?

#9 12 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Why would a single fuse cause ALL coils to be weak? Does WPC-95 modulate power somehow?

Logically, a failed solonoid secondary fuse should make all coils completely dead - no secondary = nothing to rectify to get +50v.

A better question would be, why are the solonoids moving at all if that fuse is blown?
Measure voltage to ground from the power side of those solonoids (with the coin door switch held closed so it doesn't turn off anything and you can observe things as they are when it's trying to run)

#10 12 years ago

The fuse is in series with the 50v supply from the transformer? That's very odd how the solenoids are still getting power.

#11 12 years ago

problem solved! i just replaced the fuse and all started working ok.
i dont know why this happened, but if it works it works hehehe

please excuse my ignorance.. next time i will replace a fuse before i start crying

#12 12 years ago

ALWAYS try the easiest things first. All it takes is a screwdriver touching a couple things under the playfield and *poof*

#13 12 years ago

Hm. What could've caused the fuse to blow in the first place? This isn't the only case we've seen this happen so maybe the board design should've called for a slightly higher fuse rating?

#14 12 years ago

i have been told that the fuses blow up from time to time. witch is really stupid because you never can tell if something is damaged or not.
on a car, the fuses only blow when something is wrong, and you can see where the problem is by the one that is blown.
a pinball machine's fuses should work like that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Dickinson, TX
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Colorado Springs, CO
$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 32.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-congo-is-dead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.