IMG_5397.JPG
IMG_5396.JPG
IMG_5395.JPG
IMG_6864a.jpg
IMG_6860a.jpg
IMG_6861a.jpg
IMG_6859a.jpg
#1 10 years ago

**Well, I guess I now know how a topic with zero posts gets made. Sorry about that, mods!(Feel free to delete that other one)**

On a whim, I decided to look into making my own polar bear rug mod. Well, after perusing many different storefronts and cruising through Etsy, I came across what some other people already have on their TAF's. But, I didn't necessarily want LED's in my bear rug(or pay the high price). So, I decided to source my own, paint it, add little touches to it, then stick it on my TAF and see how it works.

What I ended up using is the bear rug toy from a kit sold/made by Playmobil:

http://ronsrescuedtreasures.com/Playmobil-Gray-Bearskin-Rug-3151-Klicky-Figure-Accessory-Vikings-Bear-Skin-3-12-Inches-P2800556.aspx

Well, these things are available on eBay every so often, so I bought a few. One to make and try out and if the paint doesn't work out, or it breaks, or whatever, I'd have a couple more to work with. Well, my first one has been working out great and these things are impossible to break as they're made from a very soft, very flexible rubber/vinyl material. I used Krylon Fusion Satin White paint and while it came out looking right, the paint didn't "fuse" to it the way I thought it would. Better prep work took care of that on my next two. But, since my first one was the sacrificial lamb, so to speak, I installed it on my TAF to give it an in-game beating and see how it'll last.

I mounted it with a square of sticky backed velcro. I did that mainly because the adhesive is pretty strong, but comes up clean(it is stainless, after all) and the velcro acts as a softer base that has some give if you were to hit it with the ball. I have actually bounced a ball off it a couple times and while it did shake it, I haven't seen any damage, yet. I don't suspect there really would be any since even the material is super soft and pliable. I really don't see how a ball could damage these things, outside of rubbing off some paint.

Anyway, here's what it looks like mounted. I mounted it with the square of velcro just behind the head. That way he's not sticking way out over the playfield, and conversely, his left rear leg doesn't interfere with the leaf switch housing.

I've got two more of these made that I'm hanging on to right now until I'm happy with how long this guy lasts. I may sell them off soon, but since this was a DIY mod, know going in that this may take at least a little bit of future "maintenance".

BTW, I had painted the inside of the ears black, but it came out looking too much like a cute puppy. He's still a little "cute", but at the angle you're viewing it from, it works.

IMG_6859a.jpgIMG_6859a.jpg IMG_6860a.jpgIMG_6860a.jpg IMG_6861a.jpgIMG_6861a.jpg IMG_6864a.jpgIMG_6864a.jpg
#2 10 years ago

Looks great to me ! Good job !

#3 10 years ago

Looks great!

#4 10 years ago

Looks really good, if I TAF i'd be all over this. I'd much rather the $50 in my pocket than worry about LEDs in a bear.

#5 10 years ago

Nicley done!

#6 10 years ago

That looks great and hopefully when I get my TAF in a few weeks I will need one of these too.

#7 10 years ago

Bravo sir...nice work

#8 10 years ago

I think I could do teeth with a little sculpy.

I want one of my own.

Nice job.

RussMyers

#9 10 years ago

Fits perfectly. Nice work. Those Playmobil folks make quality plastic.

#10 10 years ago

Thanks guys. I love doing things like this for myself and saving a bunch of cash while doing it(I guess that's why I like fixing my own pins, too.)

Forgot to mention that I did the eyes, mouth, and toenails with an "industrial" Sharpie I had laying around. Again, I just wanted to use simple, readily available items that I knew anybody could try themselves with a minimal amount of fiscal risk.

1 week later
#11 10 years ago

Here's my attempt.

Testor's model paints; Gloss Black, Gloss White, and the grey I just mixed a little black into some of the white.

I used a very small brush, some toothpicks, and a steel needle.

RussMyers

IMG_5395.JPGIMG_5395.JPG IMG_5396.JPGIMG_5396.JPG IMG_5397.JPGIMG_5397.JPG IMG_5398.JPGIMG_5398.JPG
#12 10 years ago

Nice, Russ! I didn't think about doing the ears grey like that. That looks really good.

Between the grey ears, doing a smaller nose, and attempting to do some teeth, I've got some work ahead of me this weekend!

Now you see what I mean about it being a nice soft material, too, huh? I've got NO worries about the ball hitting it!

#13 10 years ago

Mounted.

RM

IMG_5401.JPGIMG_5401.JPG IMG_5403.JPGIMG_5403.JPG
7 months later
#14 9 years ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

Here's my attempt.
Testor's model paints; Gloss Black, Gloss White, and the grey I just mixed a little black into some of the white.
I used a very small brush, some toothpicks, and a steel needle.
RussMyers

Hi Russ, any chance you can let me know if you used the acrylic or enamel paint from Testors?
I am going to be painting both my bear and chair and want to make sure I get the right paint.

And thank you Miguel351 for this idea. My Playmobile bear arrives Thursday. Cheers!

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from JosiahCox:

Hi Russ, any chance you can let me know if you used the acrylic or enamel paint from Testors?
I am going to be painting both my bear and chair and want to make sure I get the right paint.
And thank you Miguel351 for this idea. My Playmobile bear arrives Thursday. Cheers!

The little bottles of enamels.

Be creative. It's a fairly easy job.

RM

#16 9 years ago

Why is there a bear rug on the stairs?

Like most "mods" the game is better off without it. A for effort tho.

#17 9 years ago

Well, because it's the Bear Kick Ramp, of course.

It makes it easier to see for players, esp new ones.

I also added a small Lionel train so people can see where the Train target is.

Everyone has their opinion on mods.

Your game = do what you like.

My game = do what I like.

RM

#18 9 years ago

Thanks Russ!

#19 9 years ago

Any other place that might have those little bears in stock?

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from rockotaco1:

Any other place that might have those little bears in stock?

eBay

Search for Playmobil bear rug or similar.

RM

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Why is there a bear rug on the stairs?

Because the "bear rug" on the playfield looks nothing like a bear rug. It's pretty much just a face.

Besides, this mod idea I put up just as a much cheaper alternative to the LED lit one. I don't need crazy flashing eyes on mine.

My ultimate goal is to show how a bunch of these mods are just cheap kids toys with minimal painting and stuff. There's no reason they should so danged expensive.

1 month later
#22 9 years ago

Anyone have any luck grabbing one of these online? I've been checking everyday for a month now and can't find anything but dark brown ones for $7 or more.

#23 9 years ago

They are all originally dark brown, or sometimes a medium grey.

You have to paint it white yourself.

RM

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-cheapo-taf-bear-rug-mod-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.