Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by jtreehorn
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

booze (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

Hi Guys:

Just wanted to share my Booz Barometer restoration with everyone.

I did not like the original maroon color, so I had the cabinet powder coated a deep blue, inside and out.

Next, I had the 'bent rod' and handle ring nickel plated to a brilliant chrome-like shine.

The coin entry plate was in very good condition, so I just had that polished to a brilliant shine.

Next, my wife restored the wooden base to like new.

Finally, after almost 11 hours of photoshopping the original (damaged) art, I had good artwork to take to the printer for new decals. Yes, 11 hours!!!

I decided that I didn't like the original art for the '5¢', 'start' and 'warning/how to play', so I changed those slightly and had them made in white, which really stands out on the blue background.

The picture does no justice to the actual item. It looks amazing!!

Sorry the pic is blurred.

Roger

booze (resized).jpgbooze (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Nice work. I actually like the maroon color, so I’ve left mine with the vintage worn look.

Is the base the original one?

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from djblouw:

Nice work. I actually like the maroon color, so I’ve left mine with the vintage worn look.
    Is the base the original one?

Yes, original base, refinished.

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from rogerdodger:

Wow. That’s great.

The plated bent rod looks amazing.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from rogerdodger:

I'm pretty sure the original base is 3/4" thick material. I've seen some stained wood; however, most seem to be wood covered with that nice fake wood vinyl/fabric/sticker material and it is always peeling off. Mine was in really bad shape, so I just replaced it with some 3/4" mahogany I had. Like djb...I've kept mine original. It's can be a tough call on things like these.

#6 6 years ago

Don’t think I could do that sober based on the size of that loop on the handle

#7 6 years ago

Beautiful!
    I made a deal to buy a in restored one a few months ago for $100 And sent PayPal for it. An hour later the seller refunded my money and said that he dropped it packing it to ship and the metal got bent badly and refused to respond to me emails after that. Guessing he got more money offered and sold to them.

Any chance you would share the restored artwork? Thinking about just scratch building my own and the art would help push me to actually do it.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from Scar:

Beautiful!
    I made a deal to buy a in restored one a few months ago for $100 And sent PayPal for it. An hour later the seller refunded my money and said that he dropped it packing it to ship and the metal got bent badly and refused to respond to me emails after that. Guessing he got more money offered and sold to them.
    Any chance you would share the restored artwork? Thinking about just scratch building my own and the art would help push me to actually do it.

Yes sounds like they pulled an "auction" on you. Decent ones on eBay are way more than $100.

#9 6 years ago

Left mine original , still smells like booze

Never able to get to the end
    However my friend does this without problem
    And back !!

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

Yes sounds like they pulled an "auction" on you. Decent ones on eBay are way more than $100.

This... you can't get a complete project for $100. My guess, guy posts in the wrong place with a bad description so no one finds it. Does a bit of research and discovers he is giving it away.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from Scar:

I believe at one point you were able to find a reproduction sticker. I seem to remember someone here on Pinside did make one from scratch. You may want to do a search to see if you can find that thread.

#12 6 years ago

Ok Not the place to post this (sorry) but that looks Awsome and I would Love to include a game like that to my small collection. If anyone has one for sale please consider sending me a PM. @rogwrdodger Amazing work!!

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from Oldgoat:

I believe at one point you were able to find a reproduction sticker. I seem to remember someone here on Pinside did make one from scratch. You may want to do a search to see if you can find that thread.

I saw a sticker set on ebay for $150.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

I saw a sticker set on ebay for $150.

I just looked at that and saw that 12 people are watching it. Whenever I see something outrageously priced like this, I wonder if the people watching it are 1) interested in buying 2) have one hoarded and seeing if they can sell it for that or 3) looking to see if it sells and, if so, reproduce their own sets to sell. Hard to believe there could be 12 people who are interested in it at this price

#15 6 years ago

As it happens I have a perfect spare set of all the decals, that I would sell.

I paid the print shop $150 to produce the two sets, so if anyone would like to split the cost with me, they can have my second set for $75, plus $8 shipping.

This is a great deal, especially taking into account the almost 11 hours spent on photoshopping. Yes, 11 hours. No, I'm not kidding!

#16 6 years ago

Thanks for all the nice words, guys. I really appreciate it.

#17 6 years ago

Wow! I just looked at completed (sold) auctions on E-Bay.

It seems half decent Booz Barometers are increasing in price rapidly!

1 year later
    #18 4 years ago

Any suggestions on refurbishing the metal rod without nickel plating it? Sand it? Brasso?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-booz-barometer-restoration and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.