(Topic ID: 191784)

My Black Hole is drunk and I hate it

By dethfactor

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

So I recently moved my working Black Hole out of the house and into my gameroom. Game was working flawlessly up until a few weeks ago when my daughter was playing it (she's 4) and now the game doesn't start properly and has oddball sounds.

I have a Swemmer tech MPU installed as well as a Ni-Wupmf driver and the power has been recapped and is working flawlessly. A majority of the connectors have been repinned/replaced as well. Game boots fine but gets strange as soon as you start a new game. I have the freeplay mod installed (coin tied to start) and but that hasn't given me any problems for years. I have a Quickscan 80 and ran it through all of its tests without any issues, all switches, displays, sounds, lamps and solenoids are firing/working.

When the game starts it ejects a ball but doesn't play the normal sound and the flipper/solenoid relay doesn't fire and the game just acts odd. It scores and drains but occasionally it scores to the bottom display and then causes the post ball add up to cycle endlessly.

Here's a video:

And another of it doing something weird:

Anyone have any insight?

I talked to Fred Swemmer and had mentioned something on the driver board being bad for the sounds to be off but I had assumed the Quickscan 80 would test all the registers/memory.

#2 6 years ago

black hole goes nuts if the first switch closed isn't one of the top rollovers. I never figured out why. I don't think that's your problem -- but it will cause *a* problem. I would probably swap the RIOT (6532s) on the computer and see if that changes symptoms (or better yet swap in some known good ones).

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from ts4z:

black hole goes nuts if the first switch closed isn't one of the top rollovers. I never figured out why. I don't think that's your problem -- but it will cause *a* problem. I would probably swap the RIOT (6532s) on the computer and see if that changes symptoms (or better yet swap in some known good ones).

I had 2-3 RIOTS lying around and rotated them with my spares/each other tonight with no change before jumping on the Quickscan.

#4 6 years ago

Check voltages and connectors.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Check voltages and connectors.

Voltages are fine and the connectors have been reseated.

Everything fired (mostly) with the Quickscan80. Except the K relay? (flippers/pop bumpers) but they work find if I hold the relay switches down. I have a hunch either something on the driver board took a crap or the software is corrupt.

#6 6 years ago

Ok so I figured it out. Ended up being the driver board:

Something on my Ni-Wumpf crapped the bed and I remember I had my original in my shop as a spare.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-black-hole-is-drunk-and-i-hate-it and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.