38%
  • Not Sure 18 votes
    16%

(114 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

art_lebedey_oled_custom.jpg
night moves-582.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider voodle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Hi,

Straight to the point. I don't like the idea of a big LCD embedded in the play field. Full Throttle or Alien.

This is not a bash at Heighway's new pinballs. On the contrary I can't wait for them! These are constructive, thought out, logical reasons:

1 - It's far too big, and that means it's distracting. The ball will be constantly moving over animated graphics that change all the time.

2 - They will have to compromise on the graphics they display because of this. For example, imagine having full frame animation in front of you when you're trying to follow the ball. It's going to make it hard to see. You could argue that the animation will be over by the time the ball gets to that part of the play field. However, it's impossible to run a 3 second animation and say the ball will be clear of it, unless the ball is captured somewhere.

3 - Over time it's going to get dirty and hard to see unless it's constantly cleaned.

4 - The animations are a secondary part of a game. The ball is the game.

5 - On modern machines with a DMD in the back box you get to see important animations when the ball stops. ie. it's in a hole or held by a magnet. This is the time you look up to get the information.

6 - The score is important but you only glance at it now and then when you're not concentrating on the ball.

7 - A back box *needs* a LCD display so everyone can view it. Importantly it's used to attract people when the machine is not in use, otherwise it's a lifeless box.

8 - Most importantly, this lower area of the play field is where you need to concentrate to set the shot up. It needs to be distraction free.

And finally point 9. A big point:

9 - Heighway has the option to keep your cabinet and swap out the play field. It's a modular design. But, with a LCD in the play field you're going to have to pay for that with new each play field! With a LCD in the back box, you're only ever paying for one LCD. This keeps costs down for everyone.

I think these are 9 good points against the only 1 point that Heighway have with the LCD. That is, it's where your eyes are. I don't agree with this. Your eyes will follow the ball all over the play field.

I also don't think it's an innovation. I don't think it's a unique selling point. I think it goes against what the game actually is without it in the back box the machine is lifeless.

I'd be interested to hear other peoples thoughts.

#33 9 years ago

Interesting discussion. Ultimately it's not up to us of course to decide what they do or don't do but it's nice to hear people's thoughts.

Let's just hope they can produce them in large numbers and have the financial backing!!

For example, 250 games at 3 pop-bumpers each is 750 parts, say 800 to be safe and carry some spares. Retail at Marco they're say $110. Heighway would have to be paying only $30 for the complete assembly, surely. So, there's $24,000 for just 3 components. Or a LCD screen that costs say $60, there's $15,000. It's not long before you start hitting the million dollar stock costs, or more! On top of that are the costs of electronic PCB manufacture, cables, custom components, machining of wood, cabinets, legs, power supplies, painting, silk screening/ink jet, warehouse, staff, insurance, electricity, cars/trucks, licencing rights etc. etc. It's a big and expensive job making this sort of stuff!

Sure, they'll have some pre-order money to sustain them for a while but it probably won't be enough. Hopefully they'll succeed and be around for a long time. I really want to see them be in the business for decades to come. In fact, the same goes for all manufacturers, big and small.

#43 9 years ago

If there is going to be a LCD, which it appears as though it is, I hope they paint the wood that is visible around the edge of the glass. It looks unfinished.

Also, it's a rectangle.

It would be more interesting to have non-rectangular cut-outs in the wood, especially in Alien. It would then appear more integrated into the game. It could be one shape based on the theme, like a circle of the bike tyre, or perhaps two or three 'windows' that show the LCD. Something more organic for Alien. One windows could always have the score, while the other one or two display modes, animation or other necessary information.

I just think a rectangle is boring. It's a TV in a play field. I think it need to be more creative.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider voodle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-big-concern-the-play-field-lcd?tu=voodle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.