IMG_20170519_225146 (resized).jpg
Playfield (resized).jpg
image-A (resized).jpg
superstitious.gif
IMG_20170518_202236 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170518_202608 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170518_202618 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170518_202631 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider otaku.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#100 7 years ago

Was starting with a reel a few weeks ago too. Didn't get the wires as pretty as they probably used to be but with a billion more to be soldered onto different things I think it'll be "good enough" with a zip tie if needed. Probably would drive people nuts but I feel like if I take the time to do stuff like that I'll never be done with it. Too many wires, too little time! I am looking to polish up the stuff nobody will ever see like you did though. Did you go over the numbers with the Novus too or did you go around them? I heard most reels are really finicky even with just plain old water on a rag, are these Ballys tougher in that aspect?

Looking forward to the rest of your restoration, should aid me in mine too!

3b4035d7410a26aa7a60026729e52b96dc525550_(resized).jpg3b4035d7410a26aa7a60026729e52b96dc525550_(resized).jpg

4 months later
#185 7 years ago

Keep on keeping on! Just think - if you give up, it will become Star-Jet food.

By the way, replace the broken female jones plugs with Gottlieb ones. Bally ones are godawful, while Gottlieb and Williams (in that order) ones provide much better contact and reliability. You can probably find them pretty easily on eBay as they do not need to be era specific and they're "one size fits all" in terms of pin size and spacing (and you don't need to touch/replace the male connector, besides to plug it back in, of course!), you'll need need to find one with the amount of holes you need. You could probably cut one or just deal with the leftover if it's a little bigger and still fits fine, just leave the extra non-connected. Obviously not the preferred route, though.

#187 7 years ago
Quoted from bingopodcast:

In contrast, I don't find the Bally ones to be particularly terrible. But maybe that's because I deal with them so frequently? Regardless, it doesn't matter the manufacturer's jones plugs used. On most Bally games, the male side is actually the problem. It will curl. I don't know of they used fewer layers to shore them up, but they seem particularly susceptible to heat warpage.
Again, doesn't matter. You can replace with any four prong female jones plug and it'll work.
Also, that is either the match feature or a pricing plug. Is there a manual for this game? Probably not (too early with too many flippers) so your plug will be shown on the schematic.
Smallest I have is a six position female. It'll work, but do you want to look for a four position? Up to you.

I've only heard stories (I'm not a Bally guy and I didn't choose that but apparently my tastes did, check out my collection page... I didn't try to avoid Bally games...) and if you look at them (the female jones plugs, not the machines themselves, oh god the argument that could have caused with others) in comparison you can remotely see how they're worse in design that something like the Gottlieb ones. Of course they all do the same thing and work great and are great when perfectly clean and new from the factory, that is not the problem, but when things start to get a little mucky and dirty, the extra connection areas the Gottlieb/Williams plugs provide start to be a big help that shows.

So, if somebody were to say "Check out my Bally machine!", I wouldn't advise them to change out the jones plugs if the machine is working fine like it was some kind of emergency comparable to leaky batteries in solid-state machines, but in the situation here where you are going to have to replace an equally-as-hard-to-find part ANYWAYSSSSSS, I would definitely suggest it. (So you don't have to do it twice)

((You, meaning, Ryan))

Normally I would even suggest it if somebody was troubleshooting a Bally EM and had connection issues to where they MAY have to replace them that they should consider giving it a go, but in this case, on top of that Ryan has no choice but to replace them anyways. So, it's a "might as well" situation. But either way, yes, Bally plugs will "work" if they are still in the proper condition to do so.

Maybe it's a bingo thing. I wouldn't want to unplug and move things that huge much either!

#191 7 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

And for keeping it civil.

Of course. Good thing I like ya Nick... usually I beat people up over female jones plug discussions.

/sarcasm

It's funny, everybody has their opinions truly down to the littlest thing in this hobby. As long as you find nice replacements I'm sure either way you'll make out alright.

1 month later
#257 7 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Looking great. Man that machine has some dorky guys to go along with the hot chicks.

Reminds me last time this hobby had a "post your wife playing pinball" thread. Some of those pickups were more incredible that they happened than a rare game pickup! Just kidding, just kidding.

-------

Great work Ryan! It looks FANTASTIC! (Also, great job not totally destroying the playfield artwork, that magic eraser needs some like nordic mythology or something to go along with it owning it and using it: "use it wisely with good intentions... but do not abuse it or you will face it's wrath...", you definitely can't go overboard or you will have a very very very regretful day. Looks like you did a good job at balancing this out!)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider otaku.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-art-grail-pick-up-or-a-family-pinball-vay-cay-64-bally-hay-ride?tu=otaku and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.