(Topic ID: 199374)

My EM Journey - Abra Ca Dabra (help & comments welcome)

By spinal

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by SirScott
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
Gottlieb AS Adjustment (resized).jpg
IMG_6533 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
#1 6 years ago

Welcome to my '75 Gottlieb Abra Ca Dabra thread!

My plan is to go through and rebuild / troubleshoot components until she's in top shape so any help or comments are greatly appreciated - thanks for the help!

#2 6 years ago

Starting with my F relay in the backbox which is the 00-90 unit relay. Noticed that it is stepping at two steps at a time when I activate relay instead of one so this can't be right. So...

Q1: Why would this occur? Seems like distance is too far between coil and plate but cant see anywhere to adjust. How do I fix this?

Q2: These springs don't seem right. Is there supposed to be just one here from factory?

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#3 6 years ago

Only one spring should be on it. Look here.

IMG_6533 (resized).jpgIMG_6533 (resized).jpg

Gottlieb AS Adjustment (resized).jpgGottlieb AS Adjustment (resized).jpg

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

Noticed that it is stepping at two steps at a time when I activate relay instead of one so this can't be right. So...

Does it advance two clicks when you advance it manually or when you advance it through whatever relay drives it or both?

If it advances two clicks when you advance it manually then look at the last page of the game manual or your El Dorado game manual. It has physical set up information on it there. Be sure the set up is off before you start loosening things up though.

If it only advances two clicks when actuated by the driving relay then look to the switch on the driving relay. It may be adjusted too close and you could be getting a bounce effect that will actually send the signal twice and the AS relay is only responding.

#5 6 years ago

Thanks Playdium & MikeO!

I have to order the spring now as I tried (separately) each of the two that were jammed on it and they are each too weak.

Stepper advances two clicks both manually and when it gets power. It looks like the gap clearance is much too big - diagram says 0.05". Also will order feeler guage.

Tested coil at 14.7 Ohms so that seems right (read in another thread that this one is 15 Ohms).

Q: How can one find the resistance for each coil in a machine? Reason is that this ACD's EOS switches are broken so coils are very faded compared to others.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

Q: How can one find the resistance for each coil in a machine? Reason is that this ACD's EOS switches are broken so coils are very faded compared to others.

http://www.pinballmedic.net/coil_chart.html third chart from the bottom. I have this printed out and stored with my coil stash

#7 6 years ago

This is very helpful thank you pinhead52!

#8 6 years ago

Waiting for parts so checking fuses and found:

- main line fuse should be 5A and found a 15A fuse there

- sequence bank reset fuse should be 1/2A and found a 20A fuse there

Not good right? Newb learns to always check as it seems people just stick anything they can find in these pins

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#9 6 years ago

Yeah, certainly replace these for the correct ones. Incorrect fuse values not only allow for potential fire hazards but also place more strain on your transformer as that is powering either side of the circuit.

#10 6 years ago

And make sure to replace them with Slo-Blo fuses (where required).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Downingtown, PA
2,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Barnstable, MA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-abra-ca-dabra-journey-f-00-90-unit-relay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.