• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 32 days ago by Topher5000
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 33 days ago

It has remote holder with the diode.
Late last summer or early fall I put some store brand alkalines in it, but they didn't last long so I put Duracells in. They lasted until around January when one started leaking.
I then tried Energizer lithiums. I had to replace those in April (I'm going to start writing the dates down). I checked voltages & one was completely dead, another was at 0.6v & the third was 1.06v or something like that.
The latest were Panasonic alkaline dollar store ones, so I didn't expect them to last too long. Yesterday I turned it on & saw that it dropped the last 3 high scores. The top 2 scores & the settings remained though.
I pulled the batteries & one's dead & the others are real low too. I checked the diode & one way I get a reading of 502 & the other I get a 1, which is what it reads with the leads not touching anything. The meter's manual says it has a resolution of 500, whatever that means.
What gives? Losing the last two scores seems weird. I'd put in Nvram, but I don't want to go to the expense when alkalines should last a year.

#2 33 days ago

Sounds like a bad CMOS chip drawing too much current. You may end up putting in NVRAM anyway.

#3 33 days ago

Check CR34 or replace it. Cheap. RAM swap is quick and wait it out to see if the new RAM does the same.

With the game off check pin 15 of the RAM for any residual voltage. I once had a problem with Z36 passing current through the chip into the RAM. It was microamps but over time it ate batteries.

Z4 can do the same but I did not have that issue.

#4 32 days ago

Thanks for the tips. I'll take a look at it this weekend.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 399.95
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside