Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2013-05-19_22-54-48_618.jpg
2013-05-19_22-54-31_114.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Trust me when I got this it looked like it was only worth 500. I didnt take before photos cause I really don't document until I am done with a pin. I know there will be some Popeye haters but when a pin is clean and dialed in properly I don't care what the title is.

A few shots before the upper PF is done. I removed all the crappy mylar that was installed most likely later in life. It was coverd in crud, mylar was peeling and worn thru in areas that collected dirt for years.

Anyway a few pf shots of work in progress. i think it came up nice.

2013-05-19_22-54-31_114.jpg2013-05-19_22-54-31_114.jpg 2013-05-19_22-54-48_618.jpg2013-05-19_22-54-48_618.jpg

#3 10 years ago

Hey,

A DMD game for $500 is a good deal, regardless of the game. Good find.

Luke

#4 10 years ago

Very nice indeed!

#5 10 years ago

great score, looking forward to seeing pics when its done

#6 10 years ago

Well blow me down!!! $500 for a DMD era pin in nice shape, hellz yeah...

#7 10 years ago

looks great. Popeye is way better than most of the other DMD's that go for 600ish range. There are more than you think out there as far as $600 DMD's.

#8 10 years ago

Lucky! I actually really like Popeye and would love to find one for that price. Dirty and all.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

looks great. Popeye is way better than most of the other DMD's that go for 600ish range. There are more than you think out there as far as $600 DMD's.

start a list for us poor bastids?

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from Nemesis:

start a list for us poor bastids?

Keep your eyes peeled. The deals are out there. They aren't here on Pinside, other pinball forums, ebay or even CL a lot of the time, but they are there. What you make up for price wise though, you will be re-investing in TLC. All depends on what you have more of: Time or Money.

#11 10 years ago

I'll give you $500 worth of spinach for it.

#12 10 years ago

$500 DMD deals do happen. My DESW and my LAH for example.

And they weren't in bad shape, either! Playable, just needed a little TLC.

#13 10 years ago

Let me know when a $500 DMD option comes up in Georgia and I'll be there.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'll give you $500 worth of spinach for it.

Maybe he would like to keep his forearms small enough to be able to reach inside the cabinet!!!

#15 10 years ago

Nice looking game!

#16 10 years ago

SF2, Freddy, and such can be had for that range often. Even twisters you see for $500-600 range at auction sometimes. Lots of lesser titles out there.

#17 10 years ago

Very nice so far.
Don't understand the Popeye haters myself............
Gonna be nice when you're done.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Don't understand the Popeye haters myself............

I agree. It has all the elements of a really great game. I've always enjoyed my time on one.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Director:

I agree. It has all the elements of a really great game. I've always enjoyed my time on one.

I don't really mind the pin myself... but the designer, Barry Oursler, didn't like it. There was a time I might of considered if a deal came around... but after I read Barry Oursler's interview on thepinballblog.com, it really soured my interest in ever owning it:

" Not really. Management wanted me to do another game with Python to try and capture the "magic" we had with previous collaborations. I wasn't too happy with the theme or the drawings that he had created. It was another scenario where the artwork was done first. I reluctantly agreed, due to pressure from "above". I think it was one of my two least favorite games that I designed, the other being BAD CATS."

#20 10 years ago

I have 5k saved up I will take 10 of the $500 DMD games please.

#21 10 years ago

Great Work.

#22 10 years ago

Gratz. Good looking game.

#23 10 years ago

Looks great. Nice to see that there are still deals out there on pins.

#24 10 years ago

Looks great!

#25 10 years ago

$500 on a DMD game is great, even for popeye. Good find!

#26 10 years ago

What's so bad about popeye? Simple lay out people dislike?

#27 10 years ago

I think it gets a lot of flack for having a simple ruleset for the jackpot and iffy looking art. It's not a terrible game by any means, but not one of the better ones.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from CapnARRR:

I think it gets a lot of flack for having a simple ruleset for the jackpot and iffy looking art. It's not a terrible game by any means, but not one of the better ones.

ah ok I've never played it. Is there any pin that is really terrible? Yeah some have shallow rules or a simple lay out but the majority are still fun to bash around on. I can only think of one pin off the top of my head that I find boring enough that I'll avoid playing it when I see it on location.

#29 10 years ago

It's honestly not all that bad, though it can be annoying when the top playfield gets in the way of visibly making shots or bluto shoots the ball straight out of his mouth. I also remember being confused most of the time I was playing it, but this isn't too unusual for something I haven't spent a lot of time on.

The animal theme is sort of silly and the art for the animals really doesn't match that of the popeye characters, they look like they were drawn by different people. YMMV with the environmental theme.

I should really give it another try, its been a long time since I've seen one of these.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

SF2, FREDDY, and such can be had for that range often. Even twisters you see for $500-600 range at auction sometimes. Lots of lesser titles out there.

lmk where to find freddy for 5 benji's, plz pm

#31 10 years ago

your halfway across the US. A $500 freddy here, costs you $900 by the time you get it home. Defeates the purpose since you probably can find a 700-900 freddy fairly easy in your back yard.

#32 10 years ago

Looks like it's cleaning up nicely!

I haven't played Popeye, but it's a really cool-looking game. I'd love to play one. Hell, I'd love to own one at double that price.

#33 10 years ago

Nice work! Enjoy the new game!

#34 10 years ago

Nice Score! $500 is great. Enjoy!

#35 10 years ago

Welcome to the Popeye family. Great score, that's an incredible deal! Have fun shopping it out, let us know how it plays when you're done.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

your halfway across the US. A $500 FREDDY here, costs you $900 by the time you get it home. Defeates the purpose since you probably can find a 700-900 FREDDY fairly easy in your back yard.

STILL a lot cheaper than the going rate on Freddy's I'll take one brother!

#37 10 years ago

a lot cheaper? YOu know if you look outside of pinside. pins are cheaper.

#38 10 years ago

Hope to be done this weekend. Will post some photos and how well it plays.

1 week later
#39 10 years ago

One more minor issue then done.....

#40 10 years ago

never played the game, but I've heard about it. I just was looking it up on IPDB, anyone ever read the concept proposal from Python that's on there? wow.

#41 10 years ago

Very nice pick , congrats

#42 10 years ago

Gotta love a good deal. Nicely done.

Enjoy !

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

I just was looking it up on IPDB, anyone ever read the concept proposal from Python that's on there?

Holy Crap! Was that serious?

#44 10 years ago

nice pick up

#45 10 years ago

I have heard that Python drank a lot......

Quoted from calvin12:I just was looking it up on IPDB, anyone ever read the concept proposal from Python that's on there? wow.

#46 10 years ago

You got a really good deal! Great find!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 40.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-500-dollar-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.