(Topic ID: 183634)

My 500 dollar Black knight

By Andyzola87

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0419 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6462 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6460 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6457 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6451 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6453 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6445 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6444 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6442 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6401 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6395 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6378 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6391 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6376 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6373 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6372 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Andyzola87.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I had been searching for a BK for months, but nearly every machine that was coming up for sale was around 2-3k for machines that were pretty beat. Finally two weeks ago a BK popped up for sale about 3 hours from my town and it looked to be in decent condition and the owner was asking 500 bucks, so I made the drive to pick it up!

When I got to the sellers house I started going through the machine. It would go into attract mode but wouldn't start a game. I messed with it a little to see what was wrong and finally got it to play. Cabinet looked to be in decent condition but the top of the backbox was warped. Plastics were all intact but warped and the Playfield was in decent shape. After doing a little more inspecting I tore it down and hauled it off back to my place.

#2 7 years ago

IMG_6313 (resized).JPGIMG_6313 (resized).JPG

IMG_6316 (resized).JPGIMG_6316 (resized).JPG

IMG_6315 (resized).JPGIMG_6315 (resized).JPG

#3 7 years ago

When I got it home my plan was to first get it playing good. I took all the boards out of the backbox and re flowed solder on them, replaced and re pinned a few connectors, re-capped the sound and speech board, took out the AA battery holder that had corroded posts and replaced it with a CR2032 button cell.

After that I attacked the Playfield that had a few switches that needed adjustment, cleaned and waxed the Playfield, and replaced a few rings and flipper rubbers that were busted with some spare rubbers I always keep on hand. After that I fired up my first real game in a BK and I was impressed on how fast this game is! I was really happy with my purchase and even more pumped that I got it for 500 bucks!!

IMG_6326 (resized).JPGIMG_6326 (resized).JPG

IMG_6327 (resized).JPGIMG_6327 (resized).JPG

IMG_6459 (resized).JPGIMG_6459 (resized).JPG

#5 7 years ago

After playing about 50 games on the machine I turned my attention to the underside of the Playfield. I started replacing all the coil sleeves, cleaning the drop target banks and replacing bulbs with LEDs. I also rebuilt the pop bumper because the lower plastic switch plate was broken.

After I finished under the Playfield I started Replacing the GI bulbs with LEDs. I used pinball life 4smd bulbs on all GI and insert lighting. I also added some light towers at the slingshots to add a little more lighting to the center of the Playfield. I do this to all of my games. I also ordered some drop target decals, prototype lane guide plastics, stamped pop bumper cap and a Titan pinball glow in the dark ring kit.

IMG_6345 (resized).JPGIMG_6345 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6368 (resized).JPGIMG_6368 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6363 (resized).JPGIMG_6363 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6370 (resized).JPGIMG_6370 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6371 (resized).JPGIMG_6371 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6372 (resized).JPGIMG_6372 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6373 (resized).JPGIMG_6373 (resized).JPG

#8 7 years ago

I wasn't happy with how some of the plastics weren't lit. Like the center plastic between the two right ramps. It's lit on the bottom portion but not the top so I added a 44 socket under the top portion of that plastic and I think it made a world of difference! I also lit the shooter lane with a color changer. I kept re-arranging the GI colors too and finally think I have them the way I want.

IMG_6376 (resized).JPGIMG_6376 (resized).JPG

IMG_6391 (resized).JPGIMG_6391 (resized).JPG

IMG_6378 (resized).JPGIMG_6378 (resized).JPG

IMG_6395 (resized).JPGIMG_6395 (resized).JPG

IMG_6401 (resized).JPGIMG_6401 (resized).JPG

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That's pretty cool but only a madman tries to get a game like that working while it still belongs to someone else. At 500 bucks I'd have said "thank you m'aam" and loaded it up, leaving the fiddling for later.

I can agree with you and have done that in the past. The guy I was dealing with was really cool though and just wanted the machine gone. Not something I would do with every pickup though .

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from nwpinball:

Mayfair still has some of the second run of backglasses done in the 90s, they are spendy (around $400 with trim), but one would really make your game look sharp.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll be picking up one of those next month. But for now I touched up the backglass. I'll post picks right now

#13 7 years ago

Next was the backglass. You can see the amount of flaking on the glass and how much light is shining through. I decided to try and touch up the areas that were flaking off. This is the result of my attempt so far. Im not finished with it yet, but already I think it looks better.

IMG_6442 (resized).JPGIMG_6442 (resized).JPG

IMG_6444 (resized).JPGIMG_6444 (resized).JPG

#14 7 years ago

Illuminated the backglass looks dark in some areas, but in person it looks pretty good. It still needs work and I know I can make it look better.

IMG_6445 (resized).JPGIMG_6445 (resized).JPG

IMG_6453 (resized).JPGIMG_6453 (resized).JPG

IMG_6451 (resized).JPGIMG_6451 (resized).JPG

IMG_6457 (resized).JPGIMG_6457 (resized).JPG

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah I once bought a HUO Pinbot for 500 bucks. She said it didn't work and wouldn't turn on. I made the mistake of turning it on.
    "Oh THAT'S how you turn it on!"
    She had that "I want more money now" look in her eye but in the end she just let it go.

Wow that's one heck of a deal! I bought JJ last year for a grand from a doctor who's wife bought tha machine at an estate sale. They didn't want it because they knew nothing about pinball. That was one of those deals where I walked in, loaded it up and drove off lol.

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from drscottsmith:

Looks like you scored a great deal!
    Congrats on the purchase -
    -scott

Thanks man! Really loving the game !

#18 7 years ago

This is what it looks like at its current state. Still needs a lot of work, but an excellent players machine as it sits!

IMG_6460 (resized).JPGIMG_6460 (resized).JPG

IMG_6462 (resized).JPGIMG_6462 (resized).JPG

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I would spot mylar the back of that backglass pronto, so you don't lose any more paint.

I still have some auto clear left over from my last Playfield job so once I finish touching it up I'll spray it with that.

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Cool I'd be careful about spray thought that paint is dying to blow off in a stiff breeze. Mylar would be easier to work with and it's kind of a junky backglass anyway but Ithink you can get away with using it. $400 is a lot of money you can let the next owner take the plunge on that.

Good point. I noticed it was flaking when I was airbrushing the art yesterday. I have a few rolls of Mylar laying around. I may do that instead. Thanks for the tip!

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from TIB:

the spotlights on the slingshots are a nice addition, great work on the backglass too.</blockquote

Thank you. Backglass is coming along. This was my first one so I'm learning what not to do for future restores.

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from ryan1234:

Looks more like "Rainbow Knight"
    Just kidding
    Great score!

LOl rainbow knight

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Nice LE too. Good deal.
    I love the way LEDS look on this game.

Playfield on your BK is nice. Mine needs some touch up

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Andyzola87.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-500-dollar-black-knight?tu=Andyzola87 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.