20240212_084757 (resized).jpg
20240212_084750 (resized).jpg
20240212_084702 (resized).jpg
20240212_084725 (resized).jpg
20240212_084658 (resized).jpg
20240212_084655 (resized).jpg
20240212_084651 (resized).jpg
825b53fc989f7ea10e5f75d42bdefb349026fc31 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinheadpierre.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#85 3 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Mugs approves of the new garage space heater. Going to come in handy when the temps really start to drop.
[quoted image]

I had one of those about 20 years ago. It put out so much heat I once melted a pair of synthetic gloves while warming my hands from several feet away!

Your cabinet is looking really nice

#93 3 years ago

If there’s a future need for hammer paint finish, maybe try the standard rattle can. You might’ve been partly fighting with the trigger style valve in terms of spitting blobs. I’ve never had that issue with the regular cans.

1 week later
#113 3 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I was feeling pretty happy how it all turned out.... until I realized I never filled the lock bar hole somebody drilled in the cabinet![quoted image]

I’ve done stuff like that...oops! Time for a little fiberglass filler, bondo, frisket, paint...

#119 3 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Ha. Ah yeah, that won't be happening. I will plug the hole with something. Not too worried about it.
Small black rubber stopper or gromet will work. Then sit back & see if anyone notices.
At least I know not to make that mistake ever again!

If you want to make it go away, no need to sand the whole thing off. Just fill the hole like you did originally with all the other original defects in the wood. Then remove the legs and coin door (and the coin door trim). Mask/protect the coin door opening and surrounding sides. Apply frisket film to the front carefully cut out the silver areas to create a handmade stencil for the silver. Touch up the repair area, feathering it out. Remove frisket. Reapply clear coat. Reassemble. Whew! Or....plug it with a grommet and see who notices! Bottom line, if you’re keeping it just do whatever makes you happy.

1 month later
#157 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

Wow, that's an unbelievably nice Meteor playfield to be parting out.

Usable yes, but not amazing - considerable planking and paint loss. It would make a fun wall piece. (Not trying to make anyone wrong, mostly don’t want op to feel badly about his harvest.)

Enjoying the progress you’re making! I’m impressed that you’ve soldiered on through the winter. Are you still working in the garage or did you move into the house?

Edit: I can see from the pictures that you’re still in the garage!

1 month later
#188 3 years ago

You made the correct call with sockets first, braid second.

#208 3 years ago

Truly excellent public service documenting the harness with such clarity.

2 weeks later
#249 3 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Why do you install connectors on all of your pops?

Quoted from ita47:

It makes it much easier to remove for repair or adjustments. Without the connectors you would have to unsolder everything.

Yup - I have become a certified Molex addict. I put every mech and even many switches on plugs when I rebuild a game. It makes future maintenance sooooo much easier.

#259 3 years ago

Such good, tidy work and terrific documentation. Keep it up!

#266 3 years ago

Those linkage pins really aren’t so tough to push in and out. Just gotta have the right size tool. I think I used my smallest nail set the last time I did one. A vice to hold the assembly while removing the pin is helpful.

#283 2 years ago
Quoted from emsrph:

Nice work HoakyPoaky
I read a tip in a different swap thread and add a #6 washer under every post. It raises the post just enough that the edge never or only gently touches the pf without digging in.

I did this once on a playfield with thick clear. It works.

#286 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Wont it just create a #6 washer impression in the clear?

In my experience, no. The difference is twofold: the washer distributes pressure on a flat surface whereas the posts distribute along a thin edge. The thin edge of the star post is much more likely to create an impression. Secondly, the washers have a smaller diameter than the star posts, so if they do make a mark, the mark is always completely covered by the post. When a star post makes a mark, it can become visible as a slight bulge. Posts must also must be perfectly realigned to their groove anytime they are removed or part of the groove will stick out and be visible.

#336 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Back to installing the wire guides...
This is why you pre-drill & doublecheck before you start hammering. Started drilling the wire guide near the top rollover. I was getting resistance in the wood where there should be none. Flipped the playfield over & realized the new placement of the rollover switch was directly in line with the guide hole. What dumb luck.
So an easy repositioning of the switch & we are good to go. You can see through the playfield where the holes align. I couldn’t have done that if I was trying

I damn near burnt a playfield to the ground with a similar mishap. One of the screws for a ball guide just happened to barely touch the end of the leg of a gi braid staple. When I powered on the game, it energized the rail. Smoke started coming out from under the playfield. I shut the power off, flipped up the playfield and smothered the smoldering spot. Saved it! Just like you said, I couldn’t have done that if I tried!

#371 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Yeah I’m going to fine tune some more tomorrow. Sanding off the paint make the arms a bit raw, even after sanding with fine sandpaper. I wasn’t going to apply to the Rod, but I think a drop would help with friction. I also need to adjust the bracket & the lock nuts some more. I’ll get it dialed in.
3-in-1 oil eh? I heard good things about super lube too. I have that as well.

Superlube is my go to, but I’ve never taken a slow mo to count the rip lol! Great job on all of this

#375 2 years ago

Loving your science lab approach to this

#458 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

So I hated the fact that there are no GI bulbs in the center of the playfield. Those holes are for the 10pt switches. But Comet pinball has the Matrix line of products, allowing you to do anything you want. So here’s my solution...
Cut a new piece of center plastic to rest under the artwork. Use Matrix 4 inch frosted cool white strips & cut to size. Attach on the underside of the new plastic. Lengthen the wires. Run them through the switch holes & secure so they don’t move or interfere with the switch. Tap them into GI sockets under the playfield & PRESTO! Now there’s GI light everywhere.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I did the same thing on your old Seawitch!

#460 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Did I mention I like matrix products?
Even with 10 frosted strips added, the backglass is still kinda dark. It’s good, but nowhere near as good an as original backglass. Wish someone offered screen printed reproductions. This BGresto just doesn’t let through much light.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That looks really good!

#468 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I only use Molotow paints. I swear by them. A million color shades to choose from & easy to spray low-pressure cans. They have a matte finish so you need to hit with clear last if you want a gloss finish.
The shade was Seek Future Green.
I purchase from bombing science or dick blick. Pricey for sure, but you get what you pay for. I'm not setup to use a spray gun.

Quality rattle cans for sure. It’s was my go to until I started spraying my own mixes with a hvlp setup.

#475 2 years ago

This has been my main pinball reading while moving and getting my house ready to sell. Although I am glad to see you near the end of the tunnel, I must say I will be sad to see your great thread come to a close. Not many document in such detail. This has been a great service and good entertainment.

1 week later
#499 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Hey Cheetah! No photobombing my Quicksilver thread! You’ll get your chance to be restored soon enough!
Yes in the middle of this weekend, I made a 14 hour round trip to Vegas & back for my grail game Cheetah. She’s filthy, hacked, and in need of some serious attention…. but she’s finally mine. Looking forward to restoring this one
[quoted image]

Hard to tell with the glass glare but that playfield looks very restorable.

#516 2 years ago

I thought I was treating myself to a clean and easy path getting full flipper kits for my last project. Think again. In my case, either the flipper shafts were a tad too fat or the bushings a tad too narrow. Either way, the result was slightly sticky flippers. Wound up replacing both the bats and the bushings. Fine now, but not the best experience. Par for the course these days with new parts. The quality control and precision just isn’t there.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Spring Grove, IL
$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sandusky, OH
$ 959.00
Boards
Troxel Repair

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 169.00
$ 10.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinheadpierre.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-2nd-restoration-quicksilver-scratch-build?tu=pinheadpierre and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.