20240212_084757 (resized).jpg
20240212_084750 (resized).jpg
20240212_084702 (resized).jpg
20240212_084725 (resized).jpg
20240212_084658 (resized).jpg
20240212_084655 (resized).jpg
20240212_084651 (resized).jpg
825b53fc989f7ea10e5f75d42bdefb349026fc31 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#399 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

So the spinners are finished... or at least I’m satisfied for now. I’ll have to see how they function during a game. My thoughts:
* they spin better using a regular nut to secure the bracket instead of a lock nut. Not sure why. And definitely do not overtighten. Tightening too tight puts tension on the bracket & may cause it to twist or bend, which will effect the spins even if you have a balanced spinner.
* Superlube seems to work better than the bike chain lube.
* adjust the switch so that the lower contact just barely moves the upper contact. The engery lost through this motion is kept to a minimum.
* open up the mounting holes in the bracket quite a bit. You’ll want the freedom to adjust the bracket’s location within the posts. Millimeters of adjustment can make a big difference.

Nice job on the spinners.
----------------------------

Where are you getting these nice Phillips head screws?

41fccf604d0ab41feb0df737395b1c7a61f70b46 (resized).jpg41fccf604d0ab41feb0df737395b1c7a61f70b46 (resized).jpg

Around here, it seems ALL of the hardware stores sell only the Hilman brand of screws and all I can buy are these bastardized hybrid head screws. I hate them. Just like a Swiss Army Knife that does 35 different things but does not give 100% performance with each item, these hybrid screws do not work very well with a straight slot screwdriver and they do not work well with a Phillips screwdriver. They just give half-assed performance either way you go.

An absolutely worthless, cost cutting, measure the manufacturer has decided to employ. Grrrr.

Even looking at Amazon, I cannot find 3" machine screws with a Phillips head.

IMG_6325 (resized).JPGIMG_6325 (resized).JPG

Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I always run a frosted 4 inch LED strip under the apron. I like to see the ball. Added another socket underneath & tapped into the GI at the sling.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I like this extra socket you added. Really cool. Goes into my "why did I not think of this" file.

7560e173037aa0ac5d253f8b200ffc925ecd48ed (resized).jpg7560e173037aa0ac5d253f8b200ffc925ecd48ed (resized).jpg

#400 2 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Missing the striker ring on the kicker assembly.

Vec-tor, no one will know what you are talking about. Some plastic hose from the hardware store works as a replacement.

IMG_6326 (resized).JPGIMG_6326 (resized).JPG

#401 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Earlier I had attempted to use a pop screw to secure the guide to the wood rail. The screw head was too large, so I removed. I need to use a small nail instead.
But the screw hole remained. Took some wood glue & plugged it with a toothpick. I’ll try the nail after it dries.
[quoted image]

May I suggest using #4 x 3/8" stainless steel sheet metal screws. Yeah, I know, they are not original like a nail but they look real good installed.

I use these 1/2" long screws to attach my cabinet rails. I picked up on this idea from one of HEP's threads.

I get these at the hardware store that sells the hybrid head screws that I do not like.

IMG_6327 (resized).JPGIMG_6327 (resized).JPG

#405 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Here’s the test. I count around 80 spins? Similar to the other spinner. IDK what else I can do to make it better. I’d say 99 spins is the ceiling, and I’m pretty close.

99 spins is not the ceiling. I have slochar's ROM on my Big Game. The inner spinner really gets with it. I know no one will believe this but I will say it anyway. Sometimes I get really good rips on the BG inner spinner. 80s and 90s spin counts. This is for the inner spinner only. Several times I have rolled 102 or 103 spins. And once I got 112 spins and once I got 117 spins. I need to get my cameras set up.

The outer spinner, for some reason, is not as robust. The most I ever got was around 60 or so spins. And then I replaced the heavier Stern spinner with a lighter weight Gottlieb spinner and my spin performance has gone down.

I have a Stern Nugent spinner. It is the light one like the Gottlieb spinner I have. All my other Stern spinners are of the thicker, heavier variety. I'm guessing the extra weight helps adds to the kinetic energy needed to keep a rotating object spinning for longer periods.

#408 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Well what a PITA this is. With the 4-bank installed, I can’t get at all the t-nuts to place the screws. I could remove the entire bank, put its already perfectly placed.
Option B: move some wires & pops out of the way so I can get at the t-nuts. I managed, but it would have been much easier if the screws were installed before the 4-bank & saved myself the hassle.
[quoted image]

I know it is a tight fit for the wiring under the play field. But you have all kinds of room on the backside of that 4-bank to reroute your wiring and pull it away from the 4-bank and move it closer to the pop bumper. If you still have enough room with your wiring I would suggest moving your wire closer to the pop. It will not make those T-nuts easier to access, but it will make it easier to R & R the 4-bank and will make it easier if you ever need to do any service work in that area.

You can R & R the four bank and replace it perfectly where you have it; The screw holes are not going to move on you and it looks like you have it Molex-ed.

559391a3c0e0d2c2e8ec29be72789063403a1361-1 (resized).jpg559391a3c0e0d2c2e8ec29be72789063403a1361-1 (resized).jpg

IMG_6328 (resized).JPGIMG_6328 (resized).JPG

I have a question. What are those 2 brackets that look like sling shot brackets at the holes for the GI lights? Something is pop riveted to them but I can't figure it out.

559391a3c0e0d2c2e8ec29be72789063403a1361-1 (resized).jpg559391a3c0e0d2c2e8ec29be72789063403a1361-1 (resized).jpg

#412 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

It appears that you have placed GI bulbs in the holes behind your 4-bank, when in fact, those holes are for 2 10pt switches. That's why with the switches installed, its a tight fit.
Personally I have no problem with that. That area could use some light & I'm working on a solution at the moment.
But with the drops down, those GI bulbs you've installed might be hard for a player to look at. Which is why they probably didn't put them there in the first place.

Thanks ! I am glad I asked. I did not look at the drawing that close. I see them now. Four 10 point switches all wired on the same circuit. I'm just getting started so I can make corrections easily.

I'm finishing up Star Gazer and 2 of the 3 drop targets have a pair of GI lights behind them. I assumed (bad habit) the same on Quicksilver.

#413 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

You’ll notice at the top nail hole, the playfield artwork does not extend high enough. You can see white. So once the top wood rail gets installed, I’ll have to see how it fits. I plan on using a small nylon washer to move it forward & cover the white area so it’s not so obvious.

I don't have this problem on mine. It sits just at the edge of the green. The space behind is taken up by the rail. I am using the original guide but I had to move and redrill 4 of Mirco's locating holes to get a good fit.

#424 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

So this is a work in progress.....the spinners. I started with the LT one.
First I enlarged the mounting holes of the bracket. Then I tried to bend it to 90 degrees. I set it on a block of wood to make sure it stood flat.
I also made a spinner station for the workbench. Much easier to do fine adjustments & see if it’s balanced.
These are new spinners from Pinball resource. I sanded off all the paint from the arms, I want metal on metal. I used my digital calipers to find dead center on the spinner, then adjusted the arms so the ends were dead center. Then I made sure the arms were centered front to back.
I added the bike chain lube to the arms with a q-tip. Just a few drops. I was able to get it to spin for about 6-7 seconds with my finger.
Then I added the rod & washers & mounted. This is the part I’m not sure about. I adjusted the switch contacts to get them very close. Then I marked with a sharpie on the rod where I wanted to bend the wire, getting tension...but not too much.
By dumb luck, I mounted the S sticker correctly, with the pointy end at the bottom. At least I think that’s right.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I notice in your build that you are using copious amounts of those shallow headed, straight slot screws.

Could you tell us why you went with those style screws, please?

I hate those little bastards. The head is too shallow to get a good grip with a socket; the straight slot is too shallow to get a good bite with a screwdriver, and they are not magnetic enough to stay in the socket.

You look like you like them. I would like to know why you (and Stern) like them so well.

Thanks

#430 2 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

Haha that’s one way to do it! Conversely the coil mounts on its side, with the lugs facing the front of the apron.

That is the safest way to mount it. Both lugs are protected by being located in the middle and away from the edge.

The lug facing the edge of the play field is always at risk. Just from being in the way.

And it looks like it now is in position to short against the side of the apron, instead of the top.

#433 2 years ago

I just stumbled onto your build thread 2-3 days ago ( not sure how I missed it). So I have to go back and do a lot of reading.

I noticed the Meteor cab you used has a real wood floor installed. I assume it is factory. My Seawitch cab has a wood floor. All my other Sterns use the hardboard material that is always sagging and needs replaced. Even my Meteor cab has the saggy hardboard/fiberboard for a floor. It just seems that whatever Stern could buy for the cheapest is what got used.

Anyway, since I have not had chance to read all of your thread, I have a question. You really have all of your sheet metal shined and sparkling. How did you do all of that?

#437 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Do you mean the flashing in my backbox or all my metal parts in general?

All of your metal parts. Drop target assemblies. Lockdown bar receiver. etc.

#442 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

So I read in another thread that some people had issues with the ball bouncing back in the shooting lane when launched & getting stuck.
So I took the advice & added 2 thin nylon washers under the top prong of the trough rail. With it raised lightly, the idea is that the ball won’t get stuck if it kicks back. Hard to test on the rotisserie, but it’s easily reversible later if there’s an issue.
I think this photo was with 3 washers, but I thought it was too high. I went with 2
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Interested to see how this works.

#445 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

I've never seen rails like that. Did you buy them someplace or make them yourself? I'm waiting on my Meteor CPR playfield, and would love to have something to stop the bottom from getting chewed up.

Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Factory installed on the Meteor I used for the conversion. The rails rest on the internal cabinet brackets. I'm not sure what titles they installed them on exactly, or if they were only used on certain runs of some games. The Stern club thread might know.

You can buy them from Mantis. Some of my Sterns have them, some don't. Other than Stern managing costs, I do not know why are not all of the Stern pins.

Kerry made them up for the Star Gazer crowd. Both sides pieces are the same. There is no left or right. One size fits all, both standard size and wide body. The cross piece rail is standard size, though. But it really not needed.

https://mantispinball.com/product-category/star-gazer/

He makes some other cool items, too.

https://mantispinball.com/product-category/stern/

#447 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

That's awesome, thank you! He even makes a brand new lock down bar receiver which I have been looking for.

Do realize there are 2 different styles of Stern Lockdown bars? There is the earlier ball and socket type and the later slotted type. I think Mantis makes the slotted type.

Mantis makes good parts. Very high quality.

#449 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Yes he does make some good hard to find replacement parts.
Too bad he doesn't make old stern coin boxes. I still haven't found a solution for my missing box. Not a big priority, but I'd like to have something in there to place odd game related items.

Oh, you mean a junk drawer

Moderator Daditude I think had some for sale a while back.

#451 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Primed & ready.
[quoted image]
None of them are perfect, but I know which shade I’m rolling with. Do you?
[quoted image]

Before you finish that apron, consider this.

What I like to do is shave 1/8" off the bottom of the apron where the ball drains. This keeps it from grinding into your play field and cutting into your clear coat and your paint. If you have no means of shaving some metal away then try to use some small washers below the large washers that hold the apron in place. You will have enough room to do this and still be able to load the play field glass.

What happens is when you tighten the two apron screws down, they put downward pressure on the front of the apron and push it into your play field. Study it a little bit and you will see what I am talking.

#463 2 years ago
Quoted from mof:

And we can see the strips (in the photo) - yikes!

Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Did I mention I like matrix products?
Even with 10 frosted strips added, the backglass is still kinda dark. It’s good, but nowhere near as good an as original backglass. Wish someone offered screen printed reproductions. This BGresto just doesn’t let through much light.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

With the Matrix strips being employed, you probably do not need the bulbs installed. Give it a try.

02993e9eff1c5119a55e38f1a1a5d043cf9556bf (resized).jpg02993e9eff1c5119a55e38f1a1a5d043cf9556bf (resized).jpg

You need to add some 3smd and 7smd strips under the top displays and lighten that area up. You can lose the 2 10smd strips under the top displays and add some 7smds in that area. And run a 10 smd vertically along the left side to light that up.

And you could remove the 2 bulbs between player 3 & 4 displays and add a couple of 10s down low.

Also, consider trying it with out the bulbs and see what you have.
=========================================

I followed this guy's lead with his Laser Cue play field. I had a Laser Cue and copied. I liked his using of those post lights for under the plastics. I copied this motif on my Big Game play field.

For Big Game, the benefit was that since I could not buy anti-glare play field glass, all of these Matrix lit my Big Game up so much that the play field lights override the glare from the back glass and I do not need an anti-glare back glass for BG anymore. Keep this in mind when you fire your QS up.

#483 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

By my eye, my QS guides & flippers are lined up pretty good, so I hope the ball hop is minimal. I won't really know until I start flipping. It's so important to try to eliminate that. I was playing a Bally Mystic yesterday where the gap was so bad that the ball would get stuck between the flipper & the guide when trying to cradle the ball.

You might want try these flippers. They have a nice long shaft and a narrower nose than the other Bally flippers. I have a pair that came on my Dragonfist and could never figure out where the seller bought them. I stumbled onto these a couple of weeks ago. I don't like that Stern style with the short shafts with the locating groove.

I was looking for these and could not find them which is why I have several of the Williams no logo flippers.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-3994-5

#485 2 years ago

Likely of the same mold that cottonm4 posted above, these are what I use: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-3994-9
I remember holding one of the "correct" PBL ones on top of one of these (tops touching to compare width), the difference is barely perceptible. Maybe 1mm or less.

I had my hands on those flippers the other day and forgot where I put them. I'll find them. I ca say I thought they were much prettier than the Bally fat nosed flippers.

#487 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

So Sunday was the big day…. The installation of the playfield. It turned into an entire day of frustration.
Issue 1: I attempted to install the playfield glass first. I had purchased a new sheet but never tried to slide it on. Well I thought I was going to have an issue & I was right. I had installed new classic Stern siderails from Pinball Life, instead of the original rails which were dented & scratched to hell. If you recall in a previous post, I showed how the bend in the new rails was deeper than the originals. Because of this, the glass would not side on.
Ok….well I’ll just bend the edge up slightly to get the glass on right? Well this proved to be extremely difficult without denting or ruining the rails. I considered raising them, but the flipper button cutouts prevented me from doing that. I spent hours just trying to get the glass on. I was sure it was going to shatter. I had never had this much difficulty with a sheet of glass.
But eventually, I was able to bend the rails enough to get the glass on. Pinball Life really needs to revisit there specs on these. They are not even close to the originals.
[quoted image]
This led to my next issue….
Issue 2: I attempted to set the playfield into the cabinet. It wouldn’t fit. It was too wide by about 2/16 on an inch & scraping up against the side cabinet rails. They were not flush with the inside edge of the cabinet. At this point after the difficulty with the glass, I was ready to rip them off the cabinet & throw them out into the street. I got out my measuring tape. I looked closer at the rails. I compared to the Meteor playfield width…
The Pinball Life rails were too wide. They extended about 1/16th of an inch on both sides of the cabinet. Plus the Mirco playfield was slightly wider than the meteor playfield.
[quoted image]
I spent more hours trying to solve this issue in the simplest way possible. Eventually I was able to remove the top braid nails CAREFULLY without scratching the rails. I found that my hammering them onto the cabinet tightly, they extended past the inside edge. I also noticed they were not perfectly flat. They bowed out in the center. So by NOT hammering in the braid nails flush with the cabinet, they sit on the edge.
[quoted image]
Here you can see how I hammered in the nails, giving leeway for the rail to bow out. When you press them firmly to the cabinet by hand, you can see the space.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
So I attempted to install the playfield again….. and I was able to fit it in. But boy, it still was a tight fit. The playfield lifts. It does not scrape the sides. But there is zero room for error. You just have to be careful when lifting. Works for me.
So what’s the lesson here? Did I simply get a badly cut set of rails or are they all like this? IDK but use your original rails if possible. I haven’t heard anyone else with this issue with the pinball life classic stern rails. I used their Bally ones on my Mata Hari restore & had no issues at all.

You have my sympathy. New builds are different than doing a restore/rebuild, IMO.

I don't know how long those rail nails are that you are using but 1/2" long is all you need. As I mentioned in a earlier post on your build, I use #4 stainless steel sheet metal screws. If you ever need to remove a rail, the screws are easy to remove.

#500 2 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Hard to tell with the glass glare but that playfield looks very restorable.

Agreed.

#509 2 years ago

Same shit with my right flipper. I had it set pretty well for a few months after much finagling but it recently needed some love. Now my whole game is on the fritz (see the Classic Stern thread if you haven’t)
I wonder why the right flippers are doing this. Fwiw I used original brackets, not PBL reproductions. Never heard that washer trick. I assume whatever size is comparable to the bushing? Maybe a nylon or petg washer?

Go to the hardware store and get a #14 brass washer. That fits and will lift your flippers up and away from the play field. Use two if you need to.

Or you can buy these at Pinball Life.

https://www.pinballlife.com/nylon-flipper-shaft-spacer.html

If you look closely at different flippers you see that some have tips that lift up when the flipper swings into activated position. And some have tips that bow down when they are activated; These are the ones that eat play fields.

I don't know why a flipper shaft does not always sit perpendicular to the play field. Is it the way the bushing screws into the flipper mounting plate. Or is the flipper mounting plate not bent or formed completely square----or is it the vagaries in thickness of the wood at the flipper locations on the play field.

#513 2 years ago

Where the heck were these buried?!

Under "spacer". Very last item on a long list of items.

#526 2 years ago

I have been learning a lot by reading about your build. Nice work !

#528 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Which bring me to my next gripe. The PL new flipper bases. The stop is like 1/4 inch too short from the original. So over time will the linkage wear, the parts loosen & move past the stop?
If you are going to manufacture new replacement parts, make them to the exact old specs! Annoying...
So I added a thin nylon washer under the c-clamp to tighten things up slightly. I don’t think the linkage will move past the stop now. Two additional nylon washers would have been too tight.
Before
[quoted image]
Past the stop
[quoted image]
Fixed
[quoted image]

Hoaky, this is your build and your thread. I don’t want to hijack it. May I make an observation about your flipper adjustment and the the PL flipper stop?

11 months later
#555 1 year ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

So just a single washer? With the single it looks like the same height & no effect. With 2 washers, the post is raised the height of a single washer.
Is that the idea? So that the edges won’t bite into the clear & don’t touch the playfield at all? I’ll have to think about this.
Single washer
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Double washer
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Hey man, how is this washer trick for the posts working out? I like the thought of taking pressure away from the base of the post. Does the washer give good support when the post is hammered by the ball?

825b53fc989f7ea10e5f75d42bdefb349026fc31 (resized).jpg825b53fc989f7ea10e5f75d42bdefb349026fc31 (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#558 1 year ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

+1 washer under hte post is a great idea!

It is an excellent idea. I wish I had paid more attention to this. I was thinking the lower part of the post would be taking a lot of stress when actually the only stress is going to be impact stress on the rubber ring and the #6 screw.

Mirco should include a package of washers with every play field.

If would be nice if there was some way to get this word out to anyone doing a play field build.

1 year later
#562 67 days ago
Quoted from Shenanigander:

At some point I will read this entire thread but just to get a head of myself, I just got a mostly populated Quicksilver playfield and am going to make a full machine with it. I just bought a Wild Fyre as the doner pin. What do I need to be on the look out for? I will need the newer I think SB-300 sound board. What else? And would a different Stern be better/easier to work with? Or WildFyre is fine and dandy?

You will need a full set of MPU-200 boards as well as the sound board. Wild Fyre will give you all of your cabinet parts. You will need to add an extra wire to the cabinet wiring for the test switch. Wild Fyre will have one test switch, or reset switch, but not both. You will need both switches.

The Wild Fyre transformer will work, but for some of us, the larger 16B-6 Quicksilver transformer is a better option. But the 16B-6 transformer is very hard to find and will be expensive if you do; Nevertheless, if you do manage to locate the larger transformer, you seriously need to consider buying it.

You say the play field is mostly populated. What is missing?

#567 66 days ago

Thanks Cotton. What makes the other transformer better out of curiosity? I will have to upload some photos, possibly tomorrow but at the very least I need a set of plastics and pop bumper caps. There are a few things missing under the playfield. I think it might be the outhole kicker mech but have to look closer.

More juice to the solenoids. Equals harder hitting flippers and snappier pop bumpers. Some people do not seem to notice the difference. My thinking on this runs along the lines of how demanding you want your pin to play. I like fast and hard, which means steep.

My Nine Ball came to me with the small transformer. The pin played OK. But then I installed the 16B-6 and it just got "bouncier". The flipper hits feel more positive.

My Dragonfist came to me with the smaller 16B-3 transformer. It played OK. I installed the the 16B-6 and Dragonfist turned into a screamer.

For an experiment, I swapped a smaller transformer into my Catacomb. Play action sucked the wind on Catacomb with the small transformer. It took me about 2 minutes of play and I swapped the larger transformer back in.

You can go ahead and build your Quicksilver with the smaller transformer and not know the difference and be perfectly happy. But if you ever get to play one with the larger transformer you might change your thoughts.

gdonovan has a small transformer installed in his Seawitch and it has received lots of public play. I have not heard gdonovan complaining about play action.

#568 66 days ago

So it is a flipper assembly that I am missing and a bunch of lamp sockets which is no biggie. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That's a nice play field. With some elbow grease it should clean up nicely.

Mirco is your only option for the Quicksilver plastics, AFAIK.

Pinball Life sells complete flipper assemblies.

https://www.pinballlife.com/full-right-flipper-assembly-for-classic-stern-machines-031980-to-021982.html

https://www.pinballlife.com/full-left-flipper-assembly-for-classic-stern-machines-031980-to-021982.html

Beehive pinball used to make play field protectors for Quicksilver. He is sold out. A protector would smooth out the cupped inserts, etc. You could ask if he would make you one.

https://www.beehivepinball.com/product/pinball-playshield-protector

Pinside_forum_8026571_9 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_8026571_9 (resized).jpg

For the wiring, IPDB.org has a nice copy of the QS manual.

https://www.ipdb.org/files/1895/Stern_1980_Quicksilver_Manual.pdf

https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=Quicksilver&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#1895

This is what you will need to fix the lights.

Screen Shot 2024-02-12 at 11.06.53 AM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2024-02-12 at 11.06.53 AM (resized).jpg

And I will make a shameless plug. I have a very nice reproduction of the Quicksilver owner's manual if you want a copy.

$25.00 plus the shipping. PM me if interested.

#570 66 days ago

Thanks Cotton, you are the best! Much appreciated! I forgot that the spinners are missing as well. I'm assuming I can buy standard repros and get some spinner decals. I will keep the manual offer in mind!

AFAIK, Marco is your only option now.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=spinner&VIEW_SIZE=60&VIEW_INDEX=4&view=card&sortOrder=SortKeywordRelevancy

Screen Shot 2024-02-12 at 2.56.41 PM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2024-02-12 at 2.56.41 PM (resized).jpg

I have the green Quicksilver spinner decals if you need any.

#578 65 days ago

I think I found them. Is this your work cotton?[quoted image]</blockquote

These are not mine. I will have to get you a picture when I get home.

#580 64 days ago

See my post # 8250 in the Stern thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch/page/165#post-7507180

I had some decals printed in some clear sticky material. Paint your spinners any color you want. I have the green Quicksilver spinner decals, the red "s" and blue stars decals, and decals for Big Game spinners.

I got a close match on the greenish-yellow spinner paint by mixing some some green and yellow acrylic paint and airbrushed the spinners. and then applied the decals.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg
#583 64 days ago

Awesome! Nice work! Thanks Cotton! I don't have an airbrush and don't really want to paint the spinners if I don't have to so I may explore what other options there are out there. Whoever did the ones that I referred a couple posts above (yellow with the green s), those look awesome and can I buy a set from you?

You have a PM.

1 week later
#592 51 days ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

IMO the film on the BGresto glass was so thick that I had to add additional LED strip lighting just to brighten the image.

I have noticed that, as well.

Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Plus I sent him my money & then didn't get one response for 9 months.

His communication levels could sure be improved.

#594 49 days ago

I think my Catacomb backglass was from BG and I also recall it being very thick/dark. I like the split shipping idea for coos. Will keep that in mind for sure!

There are 2 Catacomb back glasses. BG Resto is reproducing the dark one. Go to pinside market place and look at the Catacombs that have been sold. Most of those have the lighter back glasses which show more detail.

But that film/material BG Resto uses blocks a lot of the back box lighting.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Spring Grove, IL
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Boards
Troxel Repair

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sandusky, OH
$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 3.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 959.00
$ 169.00
Machine - For Sale
Kettering, OH

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-2nd-restoration-quicksilver-scratch-build?tu=cottonm4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.