I picked up this Addams Family last summer. It is your pretty average 'players condition' Addams Family, one of over 20k built that did time in America's arcades and pizza joints. I fixed a few things on it, and got it running pretty well. So at least this one I am starting with a functional machine.
Judging by the mess that I found inside the bottom of the machine, I think this one spent most of it's life in a pizza joint, and regularly had soda spilled down the front of it.
At some point in its life, it had a magnet stick on, and the poor playfield show the marks from that incident. However, overall ive seen worse playfield on TAF machines.
It's been through the hands of a few of my friends, and for the most part, the machine left them in better condition that when it arrived. You can tell there are touchups on the cabinet, and there are some corners missing that will have to be addressed.
This will be my 6th full up restoration, and my third WPC game. I am hoping to build on what I learned in those restorations to make this one go smoothly. So here is what I have planned:
1. replace the playfield. With the burn marks around the left magnet, there is no getting around this one. Lucky for me I picked up a CPR gold last year.
2. Re-finish the cabinet. I have a set of next-gen cabinet decals ready to install. My plan is to sand down the cabinet, address any nick and missing corners, and then prime it with high-build primer, block it flat, and then apply a coat of gloss black single stage automotive paint. This usually creates a very smooth base for the decals to go on to. The inside bottom of the cabinet will be painted a satin black. I would prefer to have it be a natural wood color, but the bottom is so messed up with stains, it will look much better painted.
3. Install a ColorDMD. I'd be crazy to go this far an not install one.
4. Upgrade the cabinet speakers, and install a level control for the bass. Ive done this to all the WPC games I have worked with, and this simple upgrade makes a huge difference it the way the game sounds. You can read more about it here: http://dziedzic.us/wpc_speaker_replacement.html
5. Clean, clean, and clean..... This machine looks like it more than served its time on route. It will take me a little more time than usual to go through every mech and wiring harness to clean them up. I may have to bribe my wife to go away for a week so I can take over the dishwasher to get wiring harnesses done.
So here we go..... IT'S SHOWTIME!