(Topic ID: 242728)

My 1st Pinball Machine! "The Games" Help needed...

By honkbahh

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1744 (resized).jpg
IMG_1743 (resized).jpg
IMG_1742 (resized).jpg
IMG_1741 (resized).jpg
IMG_1739 (resized).jpg
IMG_1740 (resized).jpg
IMG_1670 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Ahoy! I just got my first pinball game! Gottlieb's "The Games". It looks good, but I was told it doesn't work and has not been used in a long time. The end of the power cord is female for some reason, so I cannot plug it in yet. Anyone have any suggestions on things to look for or replace before I try to fire it up? My list so far:

Replace fuses (not sure where they are, or which to buy)
Buy a manual
The simple ground mod (not sure where to source the cable)

Another issue i noticed is the cables in the attached picture are VERY loose, and I have no idea how to fix that. There is nothing to solder them to.

Someone mentioned to check the voltage regulator, but I don't know what that is.
I also have a multimeter, but not sure where to poke it.

Thanks!

IMG_1670 (resized).jpgIMG_1670 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

check all the board connections most of the time they'er corroded or broke.

#3 4 years ago

PINBALL Gottlieb System 80A Pinball Repair - Pinrepair.com
www.pinrepair.com/sys80A/

Not sure if that system repair page is available but it is worth a try.
If it is, do what Clay says step by step. He is one of the best around.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from mario_1_up:

check all the board connections most of the time they'er corroded or broke.

I had to disconnect them to detach the head, and they looked good. Thanks!

#5 4 years ago

Was the previous owner electrocuted by any chance?

#6 4 years ago

I like your style, starting out with a crazy project!

I'm wondering if someone tried to put a new power cord on by using a normal extension cord, but realized when finished they cut the wrong end.

Sounds to me like you should buy a second, similar game, right away. You know, for comparison and help with repair.

Welcome to the fun!

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

I like your style, starting out with a crazy project! ...
Sounds to me like you should buy a second, similar game, right away. You know, for comparison and help with repair.
Welcome to the fun!

This guy gets me.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from honkbahh:

I had to disconnect them to detach the head, and they looked good. Thanks!

This game has a backbox that folds down--no need to detach.

Other useful links:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Post-Purchase_Checklist

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80

#9 4 years ago

We had to detach the head to make it weigh less to carry it up the stairs. Thanks for the resources!

#10 4 years ago

This was my first solid state project machine seven years ago. My TG's had a whole host of issues, but it was a great learning experience & also a lesson learned. This was the only project machine that I lost money on. But once it was fixed this is actually a very fun & challenging title. Definitely read through the Gottlieb system 80 fix sites as this should help you narrow what problems that need to be remedied. Could be a host of different problems so just be patient & one step at a time.

#11 4 years ago

[I posted the below on a separate thread for tech support] I replaced the power cord head and have been poking with a multimeter for a while trying to get it to work. Finally when following power from the on/off switch towards the coin door I found this black box with electrical tape all over it. I finally noticed some of the tape was covering a button. I pushed the button and it sprang to life!

So my question is what is this thing, and should I do anything with it/to it? The button appears to be tapped down, but the tape gave way.

Thanks all!

IMG_1739 (resized).jpgIMG_1739 (resized).jpgIMG_1740 (resized).jpgIMG_1740 (resized).jpgIMG_1741 (resized).jpgIMG_1741 (resized).jpgIMG_1742 (resized).jpgIMG_1742 (resized).jpgIMG_1743 (resized).jpgIMG_1743 (resized).jpgIMG_1744 (resized).jpgIMG_1744 (resized).jpg
#12 4 years ago

That's the "safety interlock" switch that was originally mounted so that closing the coin door would power up/down the game.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from honkbahh:

[I posted the below on a separate thread for tech support] I replaced the power cord head and have been poking with a multimeter for a while trying to get it to work. Finally when following power from the on/off switch towards the coin door I found this black box with electrical tape all over it. I finally noticed some of the tape was covering a button. I pushed the button and it sprang to life!
So my question is what is this thing, and should I do anything with it/to it? The button appears to be tapped down, but the tape gave way.
Thanks all!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-on-earth-is-this-it-works-though

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-1st-pinball-machine-the-games-help-needed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.