• Oktoberfest 28 votes
    22%
  • TMNT 89 votes
    68%

(130 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

STTNG Flyer (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NC_Pin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

None of the above. Look into AIQ Avengers Infinity Quest or Godzilla. Pros on either. Turtles is not an easy game especially for a 9 year old. Houdini has tight shots. Godzilla or Avengers will bring you more fun and easier for your kid. Try before you buy if you can.
If you want a Godzilla pro lmk I know someone getting some in soon.

Or a JP Pro... I think JP and Godzilla are good options.... AIQ isn't bad either (if they like superheroes).

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Also, these games also have terrible resale value so you will be taking a bath if you ever decide to sell vs other games that are more in demand
?

This is a good point. No matter what game you choose, if it is your only game, you will get tired of it. It’s a good reason to look at a few different games. TMNT may hold up ok… but a game like JP pro will always be more popular and easier to trade/sell

#53 2 years ago
Quoted from Seaguard2000:

So I went to put my name on the list for a Godzilla Premium at a local shop. Walked out the door with a Medieval Madness SE and my name on the list for Godzilla!

MM is a fantastic starter pin. It's also a fantastic pin for a small/medium/large collection! Another nice thing is if you ever get tired of it the thing is like money in the bank. You can almost immediately trade or sell it. Nice job!

#60 2 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

I’ve never really understood the concept of a “starter pin”. Yes. Some pins are more difficult than others but none of them are so difficult that someone starting out won’t be able to figure it out or start making shots after some practice. I say just get what you want and not worry about “difficulty”. In almost all cases, it’s just a matter of degrees.

A starter pin is one that is super fun, easy enough to draw *other* people into playing, but not so shallow that you will get bored of it in 2 weeks.

Starter Pins
MM
AFM
SM

Bad Starter Pins
The Shadow
Champion Pub
WOZ (or just about any JJP pin not called Dialed In)

#63 2 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

How about EHoH, Stranger Things, Star Wars, Godzilla, Guardians of the Galaxy? Those are properties that everyone recognizes. Seems like those are more likely to draw people in than non-licensed properties. Not to say the ones you mentioned aren’t great. As a new person, I guess I would want all the bells and whistles of a modern game and then back fill with variety once I have that. Anyway, I respect your opinion. Just not sure if I entirely agree with it. It’s just pinball and nothing about it is that complicated.

For sure, to each their own. I loved pinball, but my wife was pretty new to it. Our first two games were AFM and MM, and she loved them from the get-go. A newbie understands the objectives within the first 10 seconds. Neither have many cheap drains. The callouts are fun and they are very approachable.

A game like AIQ is kinda the opposite. Everyone recognizes the theme, but most newbies have no clue what to do. They hit the spinning disc, but then they have no idea how to select a battle, how to battle, or why they are battling. The callouts are pretty meh and the outlanes can be brutal. It is fun for an experienced player, or someone who loves pinball, but new players are going to have a tough time with it.

The Shadow is kinda the same. I love the game, but 99% of non-pinball people don't even notice the diverters and have even less of a clue how to use them. The theme is pretty obscure and if you miss your shots you can have some very, very short games. Most non-pinball people who play it tell me it is the least favorite game in our collection.

#65 2 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

How about EHoH, Stranger Things, Star Wars, Godzilla, Guardians of the Galaxy? Those are properties that everyone recognizes. Seems like those are more likely to draw people in than non-licensed properties. Not to say the ones you mentioned aren’t great. As a new person, I guess I would want all the bells and whistles of a modern game and then back fill with variety once I have that. Anyway, I respect your opinion. Just not sure if I entirely agree with it. It’s just pinball and nothing about it is that complicated.

One thing.. I think EHOH is a great starter game. If you can find one. I haven't played ST or GOTG enough to have much of an opinion. Godzilla probably isn't a bad starter game, but Star Wars I am not as sold on. Just my opinion.

As far as bells and whistles... man, I am not sure many modern games compete with MM. I still think the exploding castle is the most impressive gimmick in pinball. It may be lacking an LCD.... but it has a very impressive playfield.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 290.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grindstone, PA
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Oakhurst, CA
$ 22.00
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Reflex Mods

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NC_Pin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-1st-pin-houdini-or-oktoberfest-or-tmnt?tu=NC_Pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.