(Topic ID: 148265)

My 1st NIB Stern Pin, acceptable flaws?!HELP PLEASE!

By Porkfritter

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“My 1st NIB Stern Pin, acceptable flaws?!HELP PLEASE!”

(0 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

535-0599-00_(resized).jpg
66194986_(resized).jpg
ramp_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160102_172341_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider porkfritter.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Hello all,

I just bought my first NIB pinball machine, a Stern Transformers Decepticon LE. I NEED SOME ADVICE PLEASE! What is an acceptable amount of "flaws" for a NIB game?

The Decptiocon metal ramp spacer and the surface of the ramp that lifts up to hit optimums prime had this funky grease substance on it. When wiping it off with a dry cloth, it left what appears to be stains/marks that are noticeable on the thin metal the connects the ramps and playfield. It reminds me of wear scratches and makes the machine look like there is ball wear. Also, on one side on the cabinet, the sticker down by the front leg was obviously accidentally cut in production, and it has been touched up/small amount of glue attached to hide it, but you can see it under careful inspection and it is not smooth like all the other areas. I don't want to be unreasonable, but I must say that this erks a a bit with paying what I did for this machine.

I want to be reasonable, is this normal for pinball machine NIB? That they will come with minor flaws,be it a bit aggravating? Or do I have reason to be upset about this? My thought is that my pinabll machine immediately takes a hit in value because of this.

I have included a picture of the Decepticon ramp. The other optimus prime ramp is very similar.

What are you thoughts? IS this just part of the nature of NIB pinball? Should I contact Stern for replacement parts? Am I just being a prude and over in love with his first "baby"?!? Thoughts and opinions please!

IMG_20160102_172341_(resized).jpgIMG_20160102_172341_(resized).jpg

#6 8 years ago

Sorry, here is a better picture... it looks like it has wax residue on it... but it not.. had some weird residue on it when i took it out of box. After a dry microfiber cloth, this is what was left. it like discoloration in the metal itself.

Not trying to cause a "shit storm" just wondering what the consensus is and maybe what others experience and expectations are with Stern and their stance on this kind of issue.

ramp_(resized).jpgramp_(resized).jpg

#9 8 years ago

It was sold to me as NIB from a Stern authorized vendor, Automated Services. I called Stern about it before I purchased and they told me he was legit and a good guy (Mike from Automated Services). It didn't appear to be re boxed but I was wondering that myself. They told me he had a number of them that were tough sells. (The decepticon LE)

My receipt from Automated Services in CT clearly states NIB. I'd be really mad to find out this was a show floor model because he specifically told me it wasn't and was NIB.

Thanks all for the input!

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I believe I remember reading that TF ramp flaps often were this way for whatever reason.
Here is one example:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/transfomers-combo-start-ramp-rusty

Thanks a lot! I had searched but was using the wrong terminology for the part. Thank you very much! It looks very very similar, especially the optimus TF ramp. If anyone else sees any reason this might not be a NIB game, please let me know. But it looks like this is a known issue and I know this pin supposedly has sit in the box for about 4 years.

I believe I will call stern and ask for replacements. The worst they can do is tell me to take a flying leap.

Thanks all! The games plays well and I see no other issues.

#16 8 years ago

Thanks all for the warm welcome. I was afraid a NOOB post like that might get flamed.

I am 41 and have been into pinball for years. I am not sure why TF doesn't get much love as I find it a good Gomez design.

The lack of love allowed me to get a LE for a pretty nice price and now the wife is getting addicted! She is now talking about our "next pin".

Yippie! Now just to find a club in Indiana to join. Would love to find like minded friends to share my table with.

#43 8 years ago

Ok, so the plot thickens. I went to update my firmware and discovered that I got two keys with the machine. They were tied to the plunger with a zippy tie. They are both the same number and open the coin door. The back box is a different key number.

Is this sounding like a used machine and they forgot to send the back box keys?

I am sorry to be such a noob, but I am really starting to questions things?!?

EDIT! They were hanging inside the coin door on a loop. I guess I am just an idiot.

Thanks all for your input and suggestions! If you can't be an idiot in front of your friends, who can you be???

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from Jasontaps:

The question that was asked about the way the box was sealed (stapled or not) should answer the used question.

Sorry, totally forgot to answer that. It was on a pallet and am pretty certain that the box was stapled shut.

From what others have said and what I have read, there are not THAT many problems and NOTHING mechanical. Maybe I should be THANKFUL and not worried. I saw a youtube video where a guys Star Trek came with the Vengeance ship pretty out of wack and had to be removed and reinstalled.

I guess the best way to chalk this up is like my old Jordan sneakers I HAD TO HAVE. Huge $$$ and every pair had flaws that we tried to cherry pick from.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Hookedonpinball.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider porkfritter.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-1st-nib-stern-pin-acceptable-flawshelp-please?tu=porkfritter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.