(Topic ID: 148265)

My 1st NIB Stern Pin, acceptable flaws?!HELP PLEASE!

By Porkfritter

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 60 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Shapeshifter
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“My 1st NIB Stern Pin, acceptable flaws?!HELP PLEASE!”

(0 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

535-0599-00_(resized).jpg
66194986_(resized).jpg
ramp_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160102_172341_(resized).jpg

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 3 years ago

Call Stern at their service number. They may have a replacement ramp ( I also believe it is rust from sitting in the warehouse for so long) and can send you new decals. You most likely will have to send them pictures first. My cabinet decals ripped at the legs because the game was built before they installed the cabinet / leg protector. Stern sent me a new set of decals. You definitely need to protect the decals if the Stern cabinet/ leg protectors were not installed.

#52 3 years ago

I got a late run Combo LE (#465 or something) and it had all the fixes fitted at the factory.

It also came with the metal leg protectors fitted.

And ... It also had rusty ramp flaps lol.

Give them a wipe down and play the snot out of it!

You may want to check the code is the latest version, it may well need updating.

rd

#53 3 years ago
Quoted from Jasontaps:

The question that was asked about the way the box was sealed (stapled or not) should answer the used question.

Sorry, totally forgot to answer that. It was on a pallet and am pretty certain that the box was stapled shut.

From what others have said and what I have read, there are not THAT many problems and NOTHING mechanical. Maybe I should be THANKFUL and not worried. I saw a youtube video where a guys Star Trek came with the Vengeance ship pretty out of wack and had to be removed and reinstalled.

I guess the best way to chalk this up is like my old Jordan sneakers I HAD TO HAVE. Huge $$$ and every pair had flaws that we tried to cherry pick from.

#54 3 years ago

Now enjoy a great machine

#55 3 years ago

I've done the same thing with keys. I searched all over thinking I lost the backbox keys and then have the doh moment when I realized they are in the coin door. Lol. Like the others said, don't sweat the small stuff. It's not uncommon to have a few issues or need a few adjustments on a new machine.

#56 3 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Both my games were NIB and I'm damn glad.

66194986_(resized).jpg

#57 3 years ago

Your situation got me thinking. You bought a new in box from a Stern Athorized distributor. Your warranty just began even though the pin has been out of production for a while, right? You should be covered and not have to worry about any surprises.

However I guess the downside would be if you needed parts that are no longer available. But people restore really old pinball machines and get them up and running like new all the time. With your distributor and the manufacturer backing you there probably isn't anything that couldn't be made right.

Congrats on your new pin.

#58 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Don't ever feel like a NOOB or hesitate with any questions. We were all noobs at some time and that is what this great forum is for. Transformers came with tarnished ramps-anodized metal reacts with solvents like grease, etc. It also came with bad decals. Almost every Transformers had this issue and it was mainly around front legs where wrinkling would appear. The game is several years past production and Stern may or may not help you out. You may want to call Michael at Automated to see what he can do, I am sure he has dealt with similar issues previously. The good news is you got a NIB Transformers at a reasonable price and it is a fantastic game that is a blast to play. Good luck and enjoy!

TF did not come with bad decals. Any wrinkling around the legs is/was caused by owners installing the legs with no cabinet leg protectors. I installed the protectors first and my decals remained mint during my duration of ownership.

@ Porkfritter
Did your pin come with these already installed?

They go in between the legs and the cabinet, keeping the legs from actually touching the cabinet and biting into the decals. All NIB Sterns now come with these pre-installed. Any pins with decal art where the legs attach should get these prior to attaching the legs. They come in metal or plastic. Both work fine.

If you already attached the legs without these, buy a set immediately and don't nudge your pin at all until they are installed. I like the metal ones from www.pinballlife.com. Search "cabinet leg protectors".

#59 3 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Do you have a photo that's in focus?

Maybe start a thread in the AV Forums about what flaws are acceptable for a NIB camera?

#60 3 years ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

TF did not come with bad decals. Any wrinkling around the legs is/was caused by owners installing the legs with no cabinet leg protectors. I installed the protectors first and my decals remained mint during my duration of ownership.
@ Porkfritter
Did your pin come with these already installed?
They go in between the legs and the cabinet, keeping the legs from actually touching the cabinet and biting into the decals. All NIB Sterns now come with these pre-installed. Any pins with decal art where the legs attach should get these prior to attaching the legs. They come in metal or plastic. Both work fine.
If you already attached the legs without these, buy a set immediately and don't nudge your pin at all until they are installed. I like the metal ones from http://www.pinballlife.com. Search "cabinet leg protectors".

What he said.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside