(Topic ID: 148265)

My 1st NIB Stern Pin, acceptable flaws?!HELP PLEASE!

By Porkfritter

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“My 1st NIB Stern Pin, acceptable flaws?!HELP PLEASE!”

(0 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

535-0599-00_(resized).jpg
66194986_(resized).jpg
ramp_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160102_172341_(resized).jpg
There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

Hello all,

I just bought my first NIB pinball machine, a Stern Transformers Decepticon LE. I NEED SOME ADVICE PLEASE! What is an acceptable amount of "flaws" for a NIB game?

The Decptiocon metal ramp spacer and the surface of the ramp that lifts up to hit optimums prime had this funky grease substance on it. When wiping it off with a dry cloth, it left what appears to be stains/marks that are noticeable on the thin metal the connects the ramps and playfield. It reminds me of wear scratches and makes the machine look like there is ball wear. Also, on one side on the cabinet, the sticker down by the front leg was obviously accidentally cut in production, and it has been touched up/small amount of glue attached to hide it, but you can see it under careful inspection and it is not smooth like all the other areas. I don't want to be unreasonable, but I must say that this erks a a bit with paying what I did for this machine.

I want to be reasonable, is this normal for pinball machine NIB? That they will come with minor flaws,be it a bit aggravating? Or do I have reason to be upset about this? My thought is that my pinabll machine immediately takes a hit in value because of this.

I have included a picture of the Decepticon ramp. The other optimus prime ramp is very similar.

What are you thoughts? IS this just part of the nature of NIB pinball? Should I contact Stern for replacement parts? Am I just being a prude and over in love with his first "baby"?!? Thoughts and opinions please!

IMG_20160102_172341_(resized).jpgIMG_20160102_172341_(resized).jpg

#2 8 years ago

Do you have a photo that's in focus?

#3 8 years ago

Tough to tell by the photos...is the discoloration in an area where it will blend in with normal wear and maybe not be noticable after several plays. If not just run it by your distrbutor.

#4 8 years ago

This thread will be a sh#t storm soon...........Joey

#5 8 years ago

The reason I say that is there is no right answer....both camps will chime in....someone will compare it to buying a car......in the end...nib pinball is a gamble...(just my uneducated guess)....I prob will never nib because I'm crazy anal with most things and that's too much hard earned money to spend on aggravation...........Joey

#6 8 years ago

Sorry, here is a better picture... it looks like it has wax residue on it... but it not.. had some weird residue on it when i took it out of box. After a dry microfiber cloth, this is what was left. it like discoloration in the metal itself.

Not trying to cause a "shit storm" just wondering what the consensus is and maybe what others experience and expectations are with Stern and their stance on this kind of issue.

ramp_(resized).jpgramp_(resized).jpg

#7 8 years ago

Are you sure it's NIB and not used? Maybe someone repacked it in a box? Transformers is a 4-5 year old game.

Did they come with red colored cliffy posts from the factory?

#8 8 years ago

Too me this is the worst part of pinball ownership.....for every person that opens a nib and has nothing but problem after problem....there is someone that opens the same game nib and never has a problem....(at least for a long time... )................Joey

#9 8 years ago

It was sold to me as NIB from a Stern authorized vendor, Automated Services. I called Stern about it before I purchased and they told me he was legit and a good guy (Mike from Automated Services). It didn't appear to be re boxed but I was wondering that myself. They told me he had a number of them that were tough sells. (The decepticon LE)

My receipt from Automated Services in CT clearly states NIB. I'd be really mad to find out this was a show floor model because he specifically told me it wasn't and was NIB.

Thanks all for the input!

#10 8 years ago

I believe I remember reading that TF ramp flaps often were this way for whatever reason.

Here is one example:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/transfomers-combo-start-ramp-rusty

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

Too me this is the worst part of pinball ownership.....for every person that opens a nib and has nothing but problem after problem....there is someone that opens the same game nib and never has a problem....(at least for a long time... )................Joey

3 nib sterns for me...no problems but your right seems as though a lot of issues pop up.

#12 8 years ago

Both my games were NIB and I'm damn glad.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I believe I remember reading that TF ramp flaps often were this way for whatever reason.
Here is one example:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/transfomers-combo-start-ramp-rusty

Thanks a lot! I had searched but was using the wrong terminology for the part. Thank you very much! It looks very very similar, especially the optimus TF ramp. If anyone else sees any reason this might not be a NIB game, please let me know. But it looks like this is a known issue and I know this pin supposedly has sit in the box for about 4 years.

I believe I will call stern and ask for replacements. The worst they can do is tell me to take a flying leap.

Thanks all! The games plays well and I see no other issues.

#14 8 years ago

Ramp flaps can easily be changed

#15 8 years ago

Great game by the way

#16 8 years ago

Thanks all for the warm welcome. I was afraid a NOOB post like that might get flamed.

I am 41 and have been into pinball for years. I am not sure why TF doesn't get much love as I find it a good Gomez design.

The lack of love allowed me to get a LE for a pretty nice price and now the wife is getting addicted! She is now talking about our "next pin".

Yippie! Now just to find a club in Indiana to join. Would love to find like minded friends to share my table with.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

I don't know about easy.... remove ramp PIA. drill out rivet's have new rivet's and a riveter tool. then put it all back together..

#18 8 years ago

Looks like corrosion. Rivet on the right also looks slightly corroded.

Within range, IMO. You can probably even buff it out with polishing compound if you are so inclined.

Enjoy the game!

#19 8 years ago

Here's the pic from ipdb.org so it looks like it did come with a red post sleeve.

http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=5755&picno=53660

#20 8 years ago

I wouldn't worry about Automated. They treated me right on my first NIB several years ago replacing a damaged pin in delivery that I mistakenly accepted. They sent me another one and dealt with the shipping company themselves.

The ramps could have just done that over time, sitting in a cold warehouse. And if anybody would still have TF NIB's it would be them

And I'm pretty sure the red post sleeve came factory.

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

How is that relevant to this discussion? The guy got a brand new game, paid a small ransom for it, and the flaps/cabinet are messed up. If they are so easy to change, Stern should have made it right before it left the factory, not the customer. I would put in a service ticket, if Stern is worth their weight in salt they will send a tech to your area to fix it. This kind of stuff irritates me to no end, especially the mob mentality that these kinds of flaws on a brand new premium priced game are acceptable. It never ends with with Stern crap. I will never be a buyer.

#22 8 years ago

A small amount of moisture in the air will do that to those flaps, literally a sneeze will too. Around 300-500 plays you'll start to notice many more ball markings and wear throughout the game, like on the rubber pads in front of that left ramp. Not a big deal, all normal. Just keep it clean and it should be good for a long time.

Transformers is a fun pin, and very hard/long rule set to get to the end. I came close but never could pull it off before I sold mine.

Flip on!

#23 8 years ago

It's not relevant.....someone posted they were easy to change....that's all.............Joey

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

How is that relevant to this discussion? The guy got a brand new game, paid a small ransom for it, and the flaps/cabinet are messed up. If they are so easy to change, Stern should have made it right before it left the factory, not the customer. I would put in a service ticket, if Stern is worth their weight in salt they will send a tech to your area to fix it. This kind of stuff irritates me to no end, especially the mob mentality that these kinds of flaws on a brand new premium priced game are acceptable. It never ends with with Stern crap. I will never be a buyer.

really??...send a tech to his house for a minor discolored ramp flap?

#25 8 years ago

This is a grey area. Yes, you have a NIB, but it is still a four year old machine. The last run was in 2011. Time will take its toll on all machines. Many Transformers had some kind of problem with the flaps - must have been a bad batch. Mine accumulated some minor corrosion despite being an HUO machine. You can polish some of it off with metal polish, but it will probably come back.

By the way, install metal decal protectors right away. Pretty much all Transformers eventually develop decal wrinkles around the legs.

#26 8 years ago

First of all, welcome to the hobby!

Second, I think its totally possible that the ramp flap rusted or oxidized or otherwise became discolored; 5 years in a warehouse will do that depending on conditions. The 'grease' I think is normal, was also on my steel I bought for new ramp flaps on my Taxi. (http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/66-FSS006) .

Is it a problem? I mean probably not, but call your distributor, take a really good photo, ask questions. A good distributor will work with you, know the warranty terms, etc.

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Hi there,

It's a NIB, but it's new old stock of a 5-6 year old game, so the chances of getting another NIB is probably remote, but one never knows. My point is that it's just a ramp flap and if that's the only issue it's not impossible to put a brand new one on and make the buyer happy. It's not clear if the game shipped this way or if it's due to the years of sitting in a box.

Sorry if you took my comments to mean anything other than the above. If it was a play field defect or something more severe it would be a different story.

I wouldn't be happy if this happened to my game.

Thanks,
Marc

#28 8 years ago

I can't really tell from the pic , is it surface rust ? If it really bothers you , take the ramp off & take some steel wool to the ramp flap . It should clean right up.

#29 8 years ago

My NIB Metallica has the stickers peeling off the back box. Stern sent new ones and I installed them. Lots of hands touch theses games throughout the process of them being NIB and they may be stored in various conditions. I also bought mine from Automated Services (used Mike as well) and when I told him he offered to call Stern. I took it upon my self to call and they were responsive. I don't think that anyone would pack up a used game and try to pass it off as NIB, or maybe I am just naive.

#30 8 years ago

Automated sold a floor model BBH as NIB once

I'm sure that was an isolated incident tho

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-just-bought-a-nib-bbhwhy/page/2

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

By the way, install metal decal protectors right away. Pretty much all Transformers eventually develop decal wrinkles around the legs.

Not all, #410 combo here, mine came with the decal protectors installed.

#32 8 years ago

I've replaced a lot of flaps on transformers for rust spots. They are still available. And NIB did not come with red cliffy post rubbers. I would think that suspect.

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from Major-Havoc:

I've replaced a lot of flaps on Transformers for rust spots. They are still available. And NIB did not come with red cliffy post rubbers. I would think that suspect.

Actually, you're wrong, it did come with that red post. Ripley's did too.

#34 8 years ago

Transformers LE came with 4 red posts.

#35 8 years ago

My TFLE had red post sleeves NIB. I also had problems with the ramp flaps, but if I remember correctly (I've since sold and miss the game), some Novus 1 took care of that and they looked real good after that.

I think TF was the first game Stern went to decals on and I wouldn't be surprised if you have some decal issues (not that it makes it acceptable). I believe all the first run machines did not have to leg spacers on them either. Make sure you get some leg spacers from Stern (they sent me some for free, or you can get them from Pinball Life), and don't use the large, old style plastic cabinet protectors on the legs (they could wrinkle the decals).

If you're really unhappy with the decals, call Stern. They sent me a replacement set even though the decal wrinkling was my fault because I used cabinet protectors. I never replaced them though because it was a much bigger job than I wanted to do, so they went with the machine when I sold it. With all that being said, TF decals might be hard to come by this far after the run.

Chris

#36 8 years ago

I'm curious. When you got the box, were the top and bottom flaps of the Stern box stapled like 4 to 6 times?
I realize they may have taken it off the pallet, but was it on one and if so, were the plastic straps around the box and through the pallet?

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from Porkfritter:

Sorry, here is a better picture... it looks like it has wax residue on it... but it not.. had some weird residue on it when i took it out of box. After a dry microfiber cloth, this is what was left. it like discoloration in the metal itself.
Not trying to cause a "shit storm" just wondering what the consensus is and maybe what others experience and expectations are with Stern and their stance on this kind of issue.
ramp_(resized).jpg

I got the same thing on my ramp flaps on my TFLE Autobot. Not an issue and if you really want to you can remove the ramps and clean them up. Mine never got worse after years now.

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Not all, #410 combo here, mine came with the decal protectors installed.

Yes later run TFLE's came with metal cabinet protectors from the factory. I bought mine right when it was released and it didn't have any protectors. TFLE was Stern's first game with decals.

#39 8 years ago

Welcome, I bought a new in box KISS pro, it was missing rubbers on two posts, the ticket prong was bent on the cabinet node, and I had to rattle Stern for a main board because the one that came new in box was fried.
I will never, ever buy a new in box again.

#40 8 years ago

NIB (new in box) has never meant MIB (mint in box). Games are cobbled together quickly. You'll find lose screws, parts not connected properly, etc. My iron man's ball stop post at the top fell to the bottom of the cabinet after about 20 games.

That residue/staining might be from whatever protective coating was on it sitting there for years. There are still quite a few NIB avatars and transformers out there because no one was willing to buy them.

Call the stern and the distributor you bought it from and see if either will help. They might if that part is even available after all this time.

#41 8 years ago

I think you are being understandably picky about your NIB purchase; but I think you may be a little TO Picky.
Stern never sells these machines as Mint-In-Box. If these minor defects are rubbing you the wrong way; then you really shouldn't be buying Pinball machines at all. They aren't works of art; they are machines which are meant to be played the sh1t out of.

My take is call the distributor about your grievances and let me provide you the support they claim to offer. I'd be a "little" miffed about the side art... but at best all you can hope for is a new decal for future use.

Good luck

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from Wyopinball:

Welcome, I bought a new in box KISS pro, it was missing rubbers on two posts, the ticket prong was bent on the cabinet node, and I had to rattle Stern for a main board because the one that came new in box was fried.
I will never, ever buy a new in box again.

My experience is to absolutely go through your distributor, not Stern direct. If you try to go through Stern for a bigger ticket item they may drag things out for weeks.

Rob

#43 8 years ago

Ok, so the plot thickens. I went to update my firmware and discovered that I got two keys with the machine. They were tied to the plunger with a zippy tie. They are both the same number and open the coin door. The back box is a different key number.

Is this sounding like a used machine and they forgot to send the back box keys?

I am sorry to be such a noob, but I am really starting to questions things?!?

EDIT! They were hanging inside the coin door on a loop. I guess I am just an idiot.

Thanks all for your input and suggestions! If you can't be an idiot in front of your friends, who can you be???

#44 8 years ago

The pin was definitely NIB and IMO it's perfectly fine. Minor smears and/or corrosion on the ramp flaps is a non-issue and beyond miniscule. Tiny decal inperfections aren't all that uncommon. Your upper cabinet keys were included, I'm sure. They're just on a different key ring. Take it from me. All is well! Enjoy the new pin! Don't bother obsessing over minor cosmetic imperfections.

#45 8 years ago

The question that was asked about the way the box was sealed (stapled or not) should answer the used question.

#46 8 years ago

#47 8 years ago

Don't ever feel like a NOOB or hesitate with any questions. We were all noobs at some time and that is what this great forum is for. Transformers came with tarnished ramps-anodized metal reacts with solvents like grease, etc. It also came with bad decals. Almost every Transformers had this issue and it was mainly around front legs where wrinkling would appear. The game is several years past production and Stern may or may not help you out. You may want to call Michael at Automated to see what he can do, I am sure he has dealt with similar issues previously. The good news is you got a NIB Transformers at a reasonable price and it is a fantastic game that is a blast to play. Good luck and enjoy!

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from Porkfritter:

Ok, so the plot thickens. I went to update my firmware and discovered that I got two keys with the machine. They were tied to the plunger with a zippy tie. They are both the same number and open the coin door. The back box is a different key number.
EDIT! They were hanging inside the coin door on a loop. I guess I am just an idiot.
Thanks all for your input and suggestions! If you can't be an idiot in front of your friends, who can you be???

Nib heavy price tag jitters. It's cool. TFLE is a hugely underrated pin. Stern hyped it to beyond what it was and under-delivered based on that, which is a huge part of its price tag. That and the Optimus Prime roadblock, which has since been fixed. ( a year later after Gomez stated emphatically the pin was solid! Ego.)

I traded a POTC+small amount of cash for mine and still think it's great.

#49 8 years ago

Backbox keys hang on the inside of the coin door next to the coin mechs on a little hook

Quoted from Porkfritter:

#50 8 years ago

I was surprised to see the megatron anti airball shelf installed already. I guess you got a later run machine, so stern may have started installing that stuff at the factory.

That blue rubber on the left ramp will get ball marks on it pretty quick, so since yours looks clean/new i think that lends itself toward this being NIB.

Rick

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-1st-nib-stern-pin-acceptable-flawshelp-please/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.