(Topic ID: 136067)

My 1st EM repair, Gottlieb Big Hit

By FugTM

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FugTM.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Hello everyone, this is my 1st post.

I am about to dive into my 1st EM repair, a Gottlieb Big Hit, wood-grain version.
There doesn't seem to be too much wrong with the game...it's very clean on the backglass and playfield. Cab could be better.

I fired it up for the 1st time today, played it for about 15 minutes, seemed great and then I had a problem.

Big Hit automatically kicks the ball onto the playfield, there is no plunger with this game.

After you hit "Start" you push the right flipper to shoot the ball from the center and then you play.
When the ball drains the bonus collects and then you hit the right flipper to launch ball 2, etc and so forth.

After a 15 minutes of playing, the machine decided to not shoot the ball out anymore. If the ball doesn't shoot out, the flippers don't energize and the machine seems to be in a state of "game over"

So I unplugged the game and then restarted it.
Coin switches work.
Pushing the start button works, score resets to zero...everything seems ready to play.

That's it...nothing else will work unless the ball shoots out but the ball won't shoot out so nothing on the playfield will work with one exception (vari-targets).

The ball return switch is working and it does energize the ball return relay when pressed.

The ball return coil is fine..... one strange thing I did that confirmed this was this....
On this machine there are vari-targets (push targets) on each side, 2 of them. When the ball hits them they push in so far and then they reset after each hit. If I push these vari-targets manually when the machine is ready to play (but won't) the ball kickout will kick 2 or 3 times! The machine is still in a state of "Game Over" though.

So I know the ball kickout coil is good, I know the switch is good and the ball relay seems good.

From what I have been reading... a loose wire or a faulty or dirty switch on the score motor could be to blame.

Do you guys agree? Any tips for a newb?

BTW..I am new to EMs but I have worked on newer pins for years...I know this has to be something simple (I think).

Help?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Covington, LA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FugTM.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-1st-em-repair-gottlieb-big-hit?tu=FugTM and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.