(Topic ID: 76205)

My 16 year old son bought his first two games to restore...

By schudel5

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by schudel5
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2014-01-05 14.03.25.jpg
2014-01-04 15.15.12.jpg
2014-01-04 11.58.19.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider schudel5.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Last fall my son decided he wanted to pick up a game to restore. We were able to find him two games this weekend. A 1979 Stern Hot Hand and a 1972 Williams Super Star EM, at very reasonable prices; so now it begins! Hopefully the amount of work these two games will take won't discourage him, but he will learn a lot. So far he is enjoying it.

2014-01-04 11.58.19.jpg2014-01-04 11.58.19.jpg

Working on the score reels.
2014-01-04 15.15.12.jpg2014-01-04 15.15.12.jpg

Working on the pop bumpers.
2014-01-05 14.03.25.jpg2014-01-05 14.03.25.jpg

#4 10 years ago

He has the day off from school today because of the snow storm here in Michigan. His project today, on Super Star, is cleaning all the star posts, rollover buttons, plastics, ball trough, upper arch pieces, trough eject mechanism and cleaning the entire playfield. I think he can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.

He completely understood that we needed to go through the entire machine to get it running first before we started cleaning it. Luckily this one pretty much worked. EMs are so simple to understand and fix. The Hot Hand will be another story...

#8 10 years ago

Thanks to Tim Mayhew for the games and a SUPER SPECIAL shout out to Mark Salas for hooking Matt up with score displays and solenoid driver board that were missing from the Hot Hand.

We connected the CPU (still has battery attached) from the Hot hand up to my Meteor...7 flashes!!! WooHoo!!!

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Underspin:

Will you do a remote battery on that? I can't believe that CPU booted up what luck!!

I've been putting a 1.5F cap on all my games in lieu of the battery. We might do the cap or remote battery with blocking diode. Haven't decided yet.

Quoted from Underspin:

Off topic Dan and I got that Laser Cue running the other night...that thing had been sitting for so long. So everything worked great until smoke started pouring out of the brand new left flipper coil. I had crossed a wire when I soldered the new one on. **Facepalm**

Hey...we're always learning I guess haha. New coil is on the way as well as cab switches which I found were pretty torn up.

Good job on the Laser Cue. I hate when you have to go two steps back to go forward one. You have a lot of projects going on! I can only deal with one at a time!

#26 10 years ago

Here is a video I uploaded of Matt playing one of his first games on the Super Star. He wants to try and sell the game to his sister to take to college.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from shirkle:

Looks like a runner with that Nike GPS watch. A bunch of kids I coach wear those.
We're having a son (due in May)...I hope in 16 years he'll be restoring a game that came out 34-42 years before he was born...so, 1987-1995! Sweet! Hopefully that era will be "cheap" by then too.
Seriously, this is awesome. Great job passing on a good, worthwhile hobby to your son.

Yeah he is a big time runner even in the snow. He just got the Nike+ for Christmas. Congrats on your future son and hopefully he will follow in your pinball footsteps too!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 69.00
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider schudel5.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-16-year-old-son-bought-his-first-two-games-to-restore?tu=schudel5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.