New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 134517)

My 12 year old son found my best deal to date on a pinball -Tspp for 1800

By RacingPin

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by urbanledge
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_3.jpg
image_2.jpg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg

#1 5 years ago

Three weeks ago my son went on a Cub Scout trip. They stopped at a pizza/arcade place one hour away from our house. He told me about a neglected TSPP in the corner of the arcade. DMD, sound and flipper where all broken. He played it anyway and gave me the 411 when he got home. Never tried to by a route machine but heard stories that ops want a fortune.

Two weeks go by and I was able to learn the restaurant owned the machine. I made the hour drive with my son to check it out. It was as described plus it was filthy and had odd damage on the speaker housing. It did play all three balls. I was able to get the owners info to make an inquiry but had to wait until Monday.

I made the call to him and asked some general questions. He understood the machine needed a lot of TLC and said it was only earning $10 a week. I did find out he bought it new. So I asked if he would like to sell it and gave him an $1800 offer figuring at worst I'll need to put $400-500 into it. I get a big pause and then a Hhhhmmmm. He said he would think about and get back to me. I figured he would check around and come up with some ridiculous price and I gave myself a 10% chance to get it but then again it is the south and pinball is not to prevalent around here

Waited a week and heard nothing. Made another call and asked where he stood on his decision. To my delight I heard "Why not .. just let me keep the locks and token collectors". I said sure and got it the next night. Painless!

Need more deals like this because this is a lot more sane than dealing with craigslist competition.

This is my first big name title and it is a Stern which is all new to me. Love the availability of mods/parts for improvements and the wealth of discussion about it.

Still working on it but so far all is fixed except the sound for only $4 in parts. Yeah!

Some pics follow. First three as found in the wild and then the last one after a couple of hours in the garage to get the major problems fixed. The dark arcade made the machine look a little better than it was but once clean I think this will present nice. Next is cleaning which my son is more than glad to do.

Mike V

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#2 5 years ago

Nice score! Bring that thing back to life!

#3 5 years ago

Congratulations

#5 5 years ago

Awesome. Thanks for sharing the full story. Good read. Machine looks good. Fun game and great theme.

#6 5 years ago

I'm going to make my kids read this thread!

#7 5 years ago

This was my first NIB purchase and play it weekly. You and your son will have a great time finding and installing all the MODs available. The TV screen with itchy and scratchy is one of my favorites. Enjoy your new toy! And don't even try to finish the game, Im pretty sure it's impossible as I've been trying for 11 years but just recently lit all car center inserts with defeating alien invasion. All hurry ups, all the children to collect, itchy scratchy episodes, and of course the best part when things suddenly don't play normal. Enjoy your new game!

#8 5 years ago

Congrats!!!!

#9 5 years ago

Good find!

#11 5 years ago

nice score.. I need to make more trips to places, willing to bet a few aren't owned by operators. Some might just sit because the owner doesn't know a good way to sell it.

#12 5 years ago

That kid deserves a bump in his allowance

#13 5 years ago

Nice grab, you'll have loads of fun with it, it's a great game.

#14 5 years ago

How 'bout them Dogs?

#15 5 years ago

Nice score! TSPP is awesome! (And at $1800 it's even better!) Yes, I'm jealous.

#16 5 years ago

not even flipper button wear?

nice pick up

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

not even flipper button wear?
nice pick up

Look again. It's there, but I've seen worse on TSPP.

#18 5 years ago

I love happy stories

#19 5 years ago

this should be the price of used pins... but sadly the new ones just goes higher in price and worse in quality

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Look again. It's there, but I've seen worse on TSPP.

ah yes thanks....

#21 5 years ago

Great story and great ending. Your son gets bragging rights on this one.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from RacingPin:

Three weeks ago my son went on a Cub Scout trip. They stopped at a pizza/arcade place one hour away from our house. He told me about a neglected TSPP in the corner of the arcade. DMD, sound and flipper where all broken. He played it anyway and gave me the 411 when he got home. Never tried to by a route machine but heard stories that ops want a fortune.
Two weeks go by and I was able to learn the restaurant owned the machine. I made the hour drive with my son to check it out. It was as described plus it was filthy and had odd damage on the speaker housing. It did play all three balls. I was able to get the owners info to make an inquiry but had to wait until Monday.
I made the call to him and asked some general questions. He understood the machine needed a lot of TLC and said it was only earning $10 a week. I did find out he bought it new. So I asked if he would like to sell it and gave him an $1800 offer figuring at worst I'll need to put $400-500 into it. I get a big pause and then a Hhhhmmmm. He said he think about and get back to me. I figured he would check around and come up with some ridiculous price and gave myself a 10% chance to get it but then again it is the south and pinball is not to prevalent around here
Waited a week and heard nothing. Made another call and asked where he stood on his decision. To my delight I heard "Why not .. just let me keep the locks and token collectors". I said sure and got it the next night. Painless!
Need more deals like this because this is a lot more sane than dealing with craigslist competition.
This is my first big name title and it is a Stern which is all new to me. Love the availability of mods/parts for improvements and the wealth of discussion about it.
Still working on it but so far all is fixed except the sound for only $4 in parts. Yeah!
Some pics follow. First three as found in the wild and then the last one after a couple of hours in the garage to get the major problems fixed. The dark arcades made the machine look a little better than it was but once clean I think this will present nice. Next is cleaning which my son is more than glad to do.
Mike V
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

We have the same tools

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from marcocapetown:

this should be the price of used pins

pins that badly beaten, I agree. But even beat TSPP usually sell for between 2500-3000.

#24 5 years ago

This is one of those adventures that you and your son will share forever. Along with a great game. Great story

#25 5 years ago

Cool story, thanks for sharing. Please post photos as you restore it.

#26 5 years ago

I'm showing my family this story! Take some pics of your son in his uniform next to the pin. One day he might achieve Eagle Scout and this story can be retold fondly. Great score!

#28 5 years ago

Congrats to you and your son. Great game and fantastic price. The best part of finding a pin like this is shopping it out and making it your own.

#29 5 years ago

IMO the best deals are always off ops.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 430.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside