Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Ricochet
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I need to buy a multimeter and there are so many on Amazon that I’m a bit overwhelmed. Does anyone have a recommendation for one that they’ve had good luck with and works well? I’m hoping to get one with an audible signal. Thanks in advance for the help.

#2 5 years ago

I have this one and never had an issue.

Digital Multimeter, Auto-Ranging, 1000V Klein Tools MM600 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018CLOSTC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_AELWCb9HNBX7Q

#3 5 years ago

Fluke makes great meters, but they are expensive. Pinball Ninja (Clay) had a recommended cheapo, I'll see if I can dig it up. Really, anything with continuity beep, and a diode test would be fine. I like auto ranging. Every basic meter will have ac and dc voltage and resistance. I used a cheapo Greenlee that came with a plug tester and induction tester for like $25 for awhile and it was fine. I don't think you need something super fancy.

#4 5 years ago

Great. Thank you both. I appreciate it.

#5 5 years ago

I use Fluke 117 and 87 models a lot. Also have some older Fluke 27 models from my dad I still use.

They cost more than some others, but I’ve got some that are over 20yrs old and still kicking.

#6 5 years ago

The difference between the fluke and all the others is voltage accuracy and longevity. The cheaper ones like those from innova are generally fine for continuity and measuring voltage, but the flukes are just so much better at it. I’d go with the innova for now, $20 on Amazon. If you get more advanced, consider a fluke.

I use the fluke 117, it was around $140, now it’s up to almost $180.

#7 5 years ago

Another Fluke user here. It's 15 years old and still kicking.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from Krupps4:

I need to buy a multimeter and there are so many on Amazon that I’m a bit overwhelmed. Does anyone have a recommendation for one that they’ve had good luck with and works well? I’m hoping to get one with an audible signal. Thanks in advance for the help.

Watch Frys.com for a Fluke meter. They ship and pretty often have sales on the lower end (non-national budget-costing) multimeters for like $100-$120. Sign up for their code newsletter since you sometimes need a code to get the price.

#9 5 years ago

I should probably add I have a Fluke 87 I bought used probably 10 years ago for under $100 on Craigslist. It was well used then and is still running perfectly.

#10 5 years ago

The Brymen is well liked. https://www.eevblog.com/product/bm235-multimeter/
    Watch his multi meters buying guide for great in depth info.

#11 5 years ago

I use fluke meters... but I'm a meter snob; so not really fair.
    Look at this stickies at EEVBlog's forum:
    https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/

There is a whole bunch of multimeter discussions... even some destructive "testing" on cheap meters.
    Probably more info than you need... but if you want to educate yourself... I'll lead you to the fishing pond.

When I was a grade school/highschool/early college- I used micronia(SP!) radio shack meters because it was all I could afford and they were local.
    After working professionally; I've pretty much settled on a Fluke 80-something series. For my pinball bag; I grabbed a used Fluke electrician's I forget the model for free from a friend who had several. It had a bad selector switch which I opened and cleaned. No further problems.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

I use fluke meters... but I'm a meter snob; so not really fair.
    Look at this stickies at EEVBlog's forum:
    https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/
    There is a whole bunch of multimeter discussions... even some destructive "testing" on cheap meters.
    Probably more info than you need... but if you want to educate yourself... I'll lead you to the fishing pond.
    When I was a grade school/highschool/early college- I used micronia(SP!) radio shack meters because it was all I could afford and they were local.
    After working professionally; I've pretty much settled on a Fluke 80-something series. For my pinball bag; I grabbed a used Fluke electrician's I forget the model for free from a friend who had several. It had a bad selector switch which I opened and cleaned. No further problems.

Fluke are the gold standard but the Klein is a very good meter and much cheaper. I have the Fluke 87v and use on machinery to pinball machines. Love it.

#13 5 years ago

Very interesting post here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/multimeters

barakandl suggested this:

https://www.amazon.com/Mastech-MS8268-Digital-Manual-Multimeter/dp/B000JQ4O2U/ref=sr_1_3

I got one and have been very happy with it. It's not a Fluke but I'm not a professional. It does everything I need and then some.

Bob

#14 5 years ago

Whatever you get, make sure it has an audible signal for continuity checks. It's a simple feature that I use a lot. The cheapo unit I started with didn't have this. I didn't realize how helpful this feature is until I upgraded to a better unit. A beeper which accompanies a positive continuity reading makes troubleshooting easier.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from oldschoolbob:

amazon.com link »
    I got one and have been very happy with it. It's not a Fluke but I'm not a professional. It does everything I need and then some.
    Bob

I got one of these based on @barakandl’s recommendation. I really like it as it seems to be accurate and have had no problems with it except for the incessant beeping that it was doing for a while. Now it has stopped?? It must be self-fixing! It has lights that tell you where the leads should go depending on the function chosen.

I wish it was smaller. It is a little clunky working on pinballs, but very happy overall with it and it didn’t break the bank.

Edit: Just read some reviews on Amazon and others have had the beeping problem. One person remedied the beeping by putting the probes in a different socket and moving the dial to other functions.

#16 5 years ago

Fluke has the most functions, but they are also expensive.
    Try mastech for a great mm at 1/4 of the price of a fluke.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from oldschoolbob:

amazon.com link »
    Bob

I picked one of these Mastech meters up, and it’s more than fine. It’s a good solid meter, especially considering what functions you need it for with pinball. Backlight, audible continuity, autoranging, etc.

Fluke are great tools, but sometimes that’s like suggesting a Festool saw or a Hilti drill to a guy who would do some home-handyman stuff. Yeah, it’s really good stuff, but in-context to how it’s used, will the person even notice that benefit they paid extra for?

It’s an accurate meter, it works, and it’s not too cheaply built like others in the price range.

If you’ll use it often and for other things besides pinball and use it in a demanding environment, go Fluke. If you’re just doing maintenance on pinball and arcade stuff as a hobby and need it to help fix/test/troubleshoot wiring, boardwork, and power issues, the Mastech will do all the same stuff well and accurately.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

The difference between the fluke and all the others is voltage accuracy and longevity. The cheaper ones like those from innova are generally fine for continuity and measuring voltage, but the flukes are just so much better at it. I’d go with the innova for now, $20 on Amazon. If you get more advanced, consider a fluke.
    I use the fluke 117, it was around $140, now it’s up to almost $180.

Fluke is also big on safety. They even provide safe use training online. Think of it as if you were buying a parachute. Would you rather have a proven good one even if it cost more, or would you like to save a few bucks? And even if you save a few bucks, how good is it if you end up replacing a cheap meter over and over again?

I use a Fluke 117 at work, and I'm about due to replace my old Fluke meter at home for one. I just have to do some shopping around.

https://www.fluke.com/en-us/learn/online-courses/electrical-measurement-safety

#19 5 years ago

Another thing that is overlooked is; leads. Buy a set of fresh/quality test-leads and check 'em before every use. Small fractures in leads provide a not-so-friendly reminder that probing live circuits is dangerous. A pair of electrician's gloves is another measure of insurance, keep some handy.

If the meter sits; May want to pull the batteries between uses. It's pretty common to change batteries and find leakage.

All meters have inaccuracies; Helpful to have more than one and double-check the reading. Fluke'd at work and home.

#20 5 years ago

Just make sure it beeps. Will make testing so much easier as pinheadpierre said!

#21 5 years ago

I use a Fluke 8020B that is 35 years old and still going strong

#22 5 years ago

If price is the reason buy a Fluke 101. $43 Amazon. Some of the super cheap ones I have seen issues of them causing problems to what they are working on.

Fluke is lifetime warranty. I have my fluke meter from 1994. Still works great. My 87v just better features and auto sensing.

#23 5 years ago

I use this one because I am a cheapskate that cannot afford real tools.

https://www.harborfreight.com/11-function-digital-multimeter-with-audible-continuity-61593.html

For the board work and trouble shooting that I do, it's more than adequate.

#24 5 years ago

Tough to beat a Fluke. 117 is great value. Beyond their accuracy ... (which is want you want in a meter) ... they are tough. The selector knob is perfectly designed for use and durability. They have nice booting on them so they will withstand a drop and tumble. Their LCDs have great visibility, I'm at the age where that's important. Some of the cheap ones have poor quality clear plastic (very reflective) and weak/smaller LCDs making reading the meter annoying. They also have great backlight... and solid audio beeper!

It will last you forever short of running over it with a vehicle.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mutimeter-recommedation and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.