04129193-23EF-4298-8265-29E62A2068EC (resized).jpeg
70966554866__AC17C5A5-5A45-413A-9B06-C25D0706CCDD (resized).jpeg
27D52833-2803-41FE-B3DA-66139BA4F301 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0264 (resized).png
IMG_0261 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #422 Factory Mustang toy car selection Posted by Tuna_Delight (8 years ago)

Post #508 Short summary of the rules Posted by BillySastard (8 years ago)

Post #558 Strategy tips Posted by Eskaybee (8 years ago)

Post #666 Pre-installed song list Posted by Tuna_Delight (8 years ago)

Post #705 Link to rules set Posted by Tuna_Delight (8 years ago)

Post #1002 Links to gameplay videos Posted by Tuna_Delight (8 years ago)

Post #1114 Pre-installed songs Posted by Tuna_Delight (7 years ago)

Post #1724 Video of SmartDMD colorization Posted by sirlonzelot (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinworthy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#458 8 years ago

1st solid weekend of play since I picked Hooked's pro at SFGE (been traveling for biz) and being an EM guy I'm really pleased ... great "old school" pinball feel, drop targets, ramps and spinners no silly bash toys. Definitely pushed ST to 3rd place in the late model line up.
Didn't hurt that I put up a pretty decent GC score @ 382,273,820
image.jpgimage.jpg

#460 8 years ago

I started out just playing "run and gun" with no real goals but today I really tried to understand the rule set and I'm pretty happy as is, need more time playing to be sure but I'm not that fussy ... I grew up on EM and simple is fine I really would like to see some sort of written sheet but thumbs up for now .

I have had several balls get stuck under the left ramp after bouncing out of the upper lanes ... I though maybe a bad rollover switch that should lift the ramp but it seems like it only happens after the diverter pin drops and the ball pops back up and over to the left so maybe it is an issue in the code ...thoughts?

#462 8 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I'm officially in as of today!

Congrats ... LE is the best looking of the bunch, my wife was disappointed I went with a pro (I just hate the turntable )

3 weeks later
#507 8 years ago

I have some friends who are casual players that come by and their first question on any of my games is “what do I do” and with Mustang I'm really not feeling I know it very well yet. I can’t find any comprehensive rules sheets or tutorials … or am I just missing them??
I did find an older thread where one of the Stern code guys listed some stuff but that was on older code. I have seen some game play videos but honestly thought they were pretty weak on rules (or just weak period ).

I have been putting in some serious play time but just can’t nail down the finer points. I noticed Road Race is timed but it seems to be the only one and Drag Race is super basic and straight forward while some of the others are not as obvious (strategy wise). I realize the basic premise is shooting the lit targets but some modes having flashing targets and other modes are all solid. For example, Cruising mode, it would appear that flashing targets should be shot first but hitting a solid first will still count as a hit. I’m trying to determine any advantage (scoring wise) for hitting the flasher first or a penalty for a solid first or it doesn’t matter just hit all the shots (basically is it just to change up the way it looks to the player vs a scoring methodology). Ideas/comments?

I also noticed when in the Cruising mode that I can hit all the lit targets and to me it appears I have completed the mode but “new car” is not lit at the store … am I missing something in the DMD or elsewhere? I have discover that shooting the store will “restart” Cruising with a set of flashing lights then a roving shot but this is not at all intuitive (or once again am I missing something) does it seem like a case of poor/bad code?

#509 8 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

....With Cruising, the flashing shot, I believe, is worth double than a normal solid lit shot. If you complete all the shots, then you've completed the first part of the mode. The car associated with it will be flashing. To get the car lit solid you need to complete the second part of the mode which is a single lit up shot and progressively goes to a very rapidly moving lit shot. ...

That makes sense on the flashing vs solid ... just point value not the order in which they are shot. I'm still not sure how a player is supposed to know to shoot the store to start the second part of the mode, unless I'm missing something that part of the code could be polished.

... Rally Race is somewhat timed. If you don't hit one of the shots in a certain amount of time, it switches to a different shot which is worth less points. ...

Yes, if you don't hit the shortcut that shot times out

..Three hits to the captive ball lights Burnout MB. Three complete drops or more of the gears drops lights Gear shift MB. Completing all the upgrades lights Upgrade Scoring, then lighting them all again lights up Upgrade MB. Each time you light up the three RPM targets it increases the spinner value. If you have an LE or premium the hazard drops will give you a free shot from the lockdown bar button.
I'm sure there's more but that's all I can think of now. Awesome pin, awesome rules.

Yep I understand those. As I understand the point values for the Jackpots go up if you abort Gearshift MB until 5th and 6th gear (which require the drop targets plus the hidden targets behind the drops which are timed) but I haven't checked to see the exact differences. The 2x playfield scoring can really be valuable, hit the 3 small NOS targets to light the far left NOS which give 2x scoring for 20 secs.

#512 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

and people say this game isn't interesting.

Yeah I don't get that at all . I play mine waaaaaay more than my ST which will probably get traded out because I made the mistake of getting it over Mustang initially (I believed a couple people who talked it down before I had a chance to play it ) .

I totally understand theme/music comes down to personal preferences but anybody who doesn't look past that and give Mustang a solid tryout as a players game is missing a great pin.

#515 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Sorry, it aint gonna be mine...not the way I have mine bling'd out.

Same here

I was really close to getting an LE but I can't get past the turntable ... that just ruins it for me ( hmmmm maybe I need to get one and develop a turntable mod )

#520 8 years ago

I like the turntable. Yeah it looks kind of cheesy, but it adds a bit of randomness to achieving Mustang MB. You need to shoot the scoop when a Mustang letter is lined up with one of the letters that you don't have yet.
Maybe the pro has something similar to that now? I don't know, I haven't played one in over a year now.

I agree that for game play having to line up the letter is much better than the Pro but it is just so big (covers too much) and yeah I guess cheesy ... I wasn't a fan of it at real car shows .

Quoted from MustangPaul:

Nah keep your Pro and do my SHIFT light up mod.

I do like the way that looks ... maybe I will see if I can do you one better

Quoted from spandol:

I found the mode insert does a very slow pulse to show part 2 is ready.

Thx I will look for that.

1 week later
#646 8 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

And why is that sometimes after completing stunt driver, it wont let me choose drag race ? Is that normal ?

If I had to guess you have a multi-ball ready and you can't select Drag Race if that is the case.

#650 8 years ago

Tried taking some "artistic" playfield shots
IMG_0154.JPGIMG_0154.JPG
I switch the white LEDs to red and blue to match the shift targets
IMG_0157.JPGIMG_0157.JPG

Quoted from DevilsTuner:

...I like rare hard to find Japanese cars. I am a die hard Rotary fan. I love older 60s 70s two door saloons with big turbo power. I have been looking for a rx3sp for years. They pop up in cali but in the rust belt they likely didnt last much more than 10 years from new.

Look for an RX-2, 4-link rear instead of leafs (if you going around corners quick ) . This was one of several Mazdas I owned and was my pride and joy many years ago
lilred3.jpglilred3.jpg
Ported 13-B w/44IDA, 5-spd and 4:11s

#659 8 years ago

In terms of game play the premium over pro question is obvious on a couple of pins like AC/DC or Metallica but Mustang seems pretty even. I was on the fence with a screaming deal on NIB LE ($6800) because the wife wants an LE or NIB Pro ($4800) which is a significant difference especially when I really don't like the look of the carousel on the Premium/LE. After playing at SFGE I ended up with Hooked's modded pro and I'm not disappointed .
That being said I have mellowed on the carousel and over time I may decide to upgrade to a Boss or LE if the prices stay depressed.

#663 8 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

PW I bet we may have shot a game or two together on yer machine that Sat. Brilliant of Hooked to set up right by the entrance,...I hardly ever made it past his gorgeously pimped Mustang ! Here's me manhandling yer girl.......

Yeah, I'm the one obnoxiously celebrating an obvious GC score. That, or I'm trying to remember how to read English.

Yep I'm surprised the pic doesn't show me standing in line waiting my turn

#706 8 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Working on a boost gauge. ...

After DevilsTuner mentioned a boast gauge it got me thinking ... what about a Nitrous pressure gauge? NoS is part of game play already so it seems like a natural.
So this is WAAAAAAAYYY over my head as far as tying it into the pin but in my head it work something like this: each time you hit a NoS target the light goes solid and the gauge jumps up by some increment (300 psi??) until the boost light is lit and at that point it is pegged. I know these are usually mechanical not electric so it may be too pricey to convert and tie into the game but I think it would look cool across from the Tach
73802.jpg73802.jpg

#710 8 years ago

A nitrous gauge would be cool! I'd like to see a lighted indicator incorporated into it that would let you know if the 20 seconds of 2X scoring was still in effect. As it currently stands, hitting nitrous boost activates initial flashers for a few seconds, but then you're left guessing on remaining time.

That would be really nice to know how much time you have (AC/DC 2x/3x flashes fast just before it times out) ... when you are in the zone 20 seconds can be plenty of time, other days it seems like I just hit the boost and it is over

4 weeks later
#844 8 years ago

Mine is set with the factory playfield bubble in the middle(never checked the actual angle) but is dead level side to side and I don't have much trouble trapping from the right bowl, a bit harder from the store but doable. Usually I trap off the bowl but on the rare occasion I can tell it's coming out of the bowl fast enough that it would dribble off the end of the flipper if I don't shoot first.

My issue is that the gap between the flippers is wider than most and makes it harder for me to bounce pass so I try to back hand most of the shots rather than risk making the passes.

1 month later
#906 8 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

Here's a video I shot last night. I had an epic ball 1, & then.... well you'll just have to watch.
I'm interested in game play strategies, so feel free to comment on them.

Good game. Several strategies out there but I usually start with Stunt Driver or Rally Race and go for the target bank super skill shot to bump right to 3rd gear. Hopefully I can bump it another couple during play since I try not to go for my first Gears MB until at least 4th or 5th gear. After Stunt I do Rally or vis versa. When I get to 4/5th gear I will go for Road race next and use the MB. I will go for Police Pursuit and use Burnout MB or jump back to Gears MB in 3rd. I wait for a drain to do Drag Race unless I'm having a good game. Usually do Cruisin last so I can do Drift between the two levels of Cruisin then hopefully Silver Ball Stampede.

#907 8 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

Great game. Just noticing the 360 bowl. Is your game pitched high? Only 1 lap. I have mine level using the bubble and the ball does around 8 to 10 laps. Time enough to sip a beer

I had to go back and watch the bowl and yeah that seems odd to drain that fast. Never measured the angle but my bubble is biased toward the steep end but still centered and I get 4-5 laps before it drains.

#908 8 years ago

I would love to have a video cam set-up when I play but I would have to delete a LOT of poor game play between great games

Last night was a great game because I finally broke 400 mil (even if just barely ) but really bummed I missed Silver Ball Stampede by the final two targets in Cruisin round 2
IMG_0221.JPGIMG_0221.JPG

#913 8 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

Perfect! Each gear is like a multiplier, correct?

With each gear change the jackpot values increase (and obviously the number of balls in MB) with 5th and 6th there are significant amounts to be had with jackpots values (100 mil +) especially if N20 2x is running.
There is a fair amount of risk reward with gears MB and I don't really shoot for the increase (except the super skill shot) most of the time I end up dropping targets with low risk glancing shots not head on. The same reason I shoot for Drag Race off the plunge, not mid game, use the ball saver to your advantage.
The top row races are more challenging and require more targets so using a MB can speed the process (especially a timed mode like Road Course) OR the chaos can screw you over

2 weeks later
#931 8 years ago

LOL, can't make this stuff up

Quoted from MustangPaul:

... Make sure you take pictures of the game ON the truck, being unloaded and ALL sides once down on the ground. ....

Quoted from Hugg727:

Paul, great advice on the pics on the truck. ...,

Quoted from MustangPaul:

What pics on the truck? ....

#940 8 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

The Dmd showed an animation of 2 cars lining up to drag race with the title of something like 'Daisy vs Ford'. It wasn't Burnout multiball. When I usually get Drag race multiball, it yells it out and displays Drag Race Multiball on the Dmd. I had already completed that and hadn't closed out the mode, when this other animation and 2 ball multiball started up. I don't recall what exactly started it. I guess I've seen this a couple of times now, I hadn't really paid attention to it till last night....
After I drained one of the 2 balls after this multiball, I shot the scoop to get to the next selectable mode.

I have never seen this on a Pro, I wonder if the Premium has something similar to an "add-a-ball" associated with the Power shift feature. The other possibility is a bug, but I have never heard of it before.

Quoted from stevevt:

I think this might be Mustang multiball, which you get by spelling MUSTANG on the lower backbox, then start at the scoop. It's a 3-ball multiball, though, I'm pretty sure.

Nope, not Mustang Multi-ball, it has an obvious call-out and DMD animation but you are correct that it would be a 3-ball MB if it were.

#942 8 years ago

"Premium" meaning not a pro, the Premium and LE don't differ in regard to the drop targets/power shift.

It would be interesting to pull the glass and test it manually to see if completing the drop targets enough times during GS MB would cause a "second" MB. I'm going to try on my pro tonight.

2 months later
#978 8 years ago

I have AC/DC and Mustang and while I do LOVE my Mustang ... hands down AC/DC is the better game. If one had to go it wouldn't be AC/DC but I'd cry the whole time somebody loaded Mustang ... do keep in mind they are very different styles of pin IMO.
I (only meaning ME personally) would not sell/trade Mustang to get TWD or Met and I'm guessing outside this thread (maybe even in) that would not be the popular opinion.
I will say I really like Met and the more I play TWD the more I appreciate it but I'm an EM guy at heart and Mustang gives me a "EM in the 21st century" sort of vibe.
I like real drop targets, bumpers and spinners instead of bash toys and Mustang doesn't disappoint. It is coded well and has much deeper rules than some might think. The common complaint is the theme, rarely does somebody who has played it a lot complain about the game play.

3 weeks later
#1023 8 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

I like Mustang more than IM (or even my new Star Trek), but I'm sure I'm in the minority.
I recommend playing Mustang as much as you can and watching as much video as you can before jumping in.

^^
Totally agree.
I played IM in the wild several times and liked it so a year ago I tried to get a NIB IMVE but couldn't find one. After unsuccessfully trying to buy a modded Mustang pro(having never even played one) I bought a NIB St pro. Last June I played a Mustang and bought it the next day. After a few months side by side ST felt super repetative and got sold. I tried IM on location again ... it isn't a bad game but it had lost something over time. Mustang still pulls me in and I can't see selling it.
Mustang is a great game IMO but it really isn't everybody's cup of tea due to the theme and that's too bad

I don't think you will be disappointed in the game play

1 week later
#1035 8 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

I've never had that issue on my Premium, is a pro issue only? It's not an adjustment issue is it?

Pro only...Premium has a gate that prevents the issue. IMO there are some coding issues that prevent the rollover switch from raising the ramp at certain times and the balls get trapped.

#1047 8 years ago

I'm over in the Tilt graphics thread asking about pinblades for Mustang. The only thing I find right now is by Pingraffix and it is the western/horse theme and just isn't working for me.
I suggested something more urban and car related... I'd really like it to touch on a mode like drag race or cruisin. What say you other owners, am I alone on this?

#1053 8 years ago

An urban themed design would be a nice option to have available.
I personally wouldn't want a design with more Mustang cars on it as I think that there are already enough in the game between the playfield artwork and the car models. That's one of the reasons I like (and have) the current Pingraffix pinblades; they evoke the spirit of the wild mustang horses for which the car is named while providing a colorful scenic background that complements the heavily car oriented playfield.

There are several stories about the origin of the name I prefer the one that says it was suggested by a designer of the early prototype and was based on his interest in the WWII airplane of the same name but I understand your point.
I don't really want actual cars just something that suggests cars/racing or the modes as an option to the horses. I wouldn't mind a nod to Shelby or Cobra Jet performance in there somewhere. OR maybe something a darker like an urban night scene to contrast all the red. I don't know for sure ... just not loving the western scene and I love western scenes, my house is full of them (which may actually be the issue )

#1056 8 years ago

OK I've looking pretty hard at my Mustang and I'm really not sure what would look best on the side. The more I look the more I want something bright or vivid, mirrors maybe the best BUT I tried my hand at something more radical. This is totally ripped off and I do not represent this as my original work, just a mishmash of stuff I found. I thought about turned metal and racing so I offer for consideration and comments:
mustang_panels_(resized).jpgmustang_panels_(resized).jpg

what say you? a bit over the top??

#1058 8 years ago

Yeah, it isn't quite right for Mustang, NASCAR probably would be a better fit.

1 year later
#1280 6 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Got a mustang. When I launch the ball, the ramp on the left won't lift to let the ball go thru. It gets stuck and after a few seconds, it does a ball search and the ramp lifts. What's the problem?

Shouldn't make a huge difference but pro or premium? I assume you are holding the flipper button down to do a skill shot? It sounds like the playfield switch isn't under the top area of the ramps isn't registering. There have been reports of bad switches. That would be the starting point for me

2 years later
#1787 4 years ago
Quoted from jackd104:

I never had much time with this pin until this weekend when I stayed at a resort in NH that had one in the game room. Filthy but actually played well. Replay threshold was around 40 mil so I was able to get free games a plenty. Grand champ was 145 mil, finally beat it out after a couple hours play with 178 mil. Is this considered a high score for this game? It did seem quite a chore to attain although I was not well versed. Anyway overall I enjoyed the game and it was nice to have around during my vacation. Cheers.

It takes over 400 mil to make the posted top 10 but 170 mil is a respectable score. When I had a pro my best score was 382 mil but generally I felt pretty good anything over 150 mil.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Wichita, KS
13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Calgary, AB
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinworthy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mustang-ride-the-pony-club?tu=pinworthy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.