27D52833-2803-41FE-B3DA-66139BA4F301 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0264 (resized).png
IMG_0261 (resized).png
IMG_0262 (resized).png
IMG_0258 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #422 Factory Mustang toy car selection Posted by Tuna_Delight (8 years ago)

Post #508 Short summary of the rules Posted by BillySastard (8 years ago)

Post #558 Strategy tips Posted by Eskaybee (8 years ago)

Post #666 Pre-installed song list Posted by Tuna_Delight (8 years ago)

Post #705 Link to rules set Posted by Tuna_Delight (8 years ago)

Post #1002 Links to gameplay videos Posted by Tuna_Delight (8 years ago)

Post #1114 Pre-installed songs Posted by Tuna_Delight (7 years ago)

Post #1724 Video of SmartDMD colorization Posted by sirlonzelot (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tuna_Delight.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#422 8 years ago
Quoted from pninja005:

I wonder how many different car models (center) they put inside. What toy is it if I would like to replace it?

According to IPDB:

Each Pro Model comes from the factory with one of five possible choices of 1/24 scale Mustang toy cars for placement above the GEARS targets (The supplier is Maisto. Their part numbers are #31997 in red or yellow, #31946 in red, and #31260 in red or blue). Choice of cars is random during factory installation. The plastic ramps are pre-drilled to allow the after-factory addition of 1/64 scale cars, one for each ramp.

Each Premium Model comes from the factory with one of two possible choices of 1/24 scale Boss Mustang toy cars for placement on the turntable. (The supplier is Maisto. Their part numbers are #31943 in green and #31269 in orange). Choice of cars is random during factory installation. Each ramp has a factory-installed 1/64th scale Boss car; style and color is random from the supplier.

Each Limited Edition game comes from the factory with one of five possible choices of 1/24 scale Mustang toy cars for placement on the turntable. (The supplier is Maisto. Their part numbers are #31997 in red or yellow, #31946 in red, and #31260 in red or blue). Choice of cars is random during factory installation. Each ramp has a factory-installed 1/64th scale toy car; style and color is random from the supplier.

3 weeks later
#461 8 years ago

I'm officially in as of today!

Mustang pinball in box.jpgMustang pinball in box.jpg Mustang LE.JPGMustang LE.JPG

#468 8 years ago
Quoted from ZippyThePinhead:

Congrats Tuna...glad everything worked out!

Thanks for the lead Zippy!

1 week later
#477 8 years ago

LE cab shots:

DSC01049.JPGDSC01049.JPGDSC01051.JPGDSC01051.JPGDSC01029.JPGDSC01029.JPGDSC01031.JPGDSC01031.JPG

#493 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Welcome aboard. A MUST HAVE are mirror blades.

I'm loving my Mustang - such a crazy fun game!

I really enjoy modding my newer games. Amongst others, I went with Pingraffix's pinblades and switched out the cheap 1/64 cars that came with the game to slightly larger 1/43 scale '67 Mustangs.DSC01173.JPGDSC01173.JPGDSC01178.JPGDSC01178.JPG

#505 8 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

Another pretty big glitch that I found on my premium was with Drag Race. I got the multiball started, then after playing for a while I drained one ball, ending the MB. I then shot the scoop and was able to start Drag Race again and get another MB. I don't know the specifics of how to get it twice, but I've had it happen at least twice that I can remember.

Coincidentally, I got a repeat Drag Race multiball too after the first one ended while playing last night. First time that I noticed that happening. I don't remember any other particulars, but I'll be more aware to note details next time it occurs.

#540 8 years ago
Quoted from DevilsTuner:

Can someone with a le and a pro take pictures of the underside of the pf for me. Do the inserts color change on pro too? what about Gi?

Here's the LE's underside:

Mustang LE Playfield underside overall.JPGMustang LE Playfield underside overall.JPGMustang LE playfield underside 1.JPGMustang LE playfield underside 1.JPGMustang LE playfield underside 2.JPGMustang LE playfield underside 2.JPGMustang LE playfield underside 3.JPGMustang LE playfield underside 3.JPGMustang LE playfield underside 4.JPGMustang LE playfield underside 4.JPGMustang LE playfield underside 5.JPGMustang LE playfield underside 5.JPG

#559 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Start with stunt driver > do the left flipper skill shot to the center target and get gear 3. Complete stunt driver in just a few shots.
It doesn't take much to get burnout MB lit, so maybe move to the mode in the bottom right corner - think it's rally race? And stack it with burnout MB.
Then stack police pursuit with your gearshift MB.
On the next ball when you don't have a MB lit, do drag race as it's easier to start with a ball saver.
That leaves cruisin and the other race mode (top middle - forgot the name ATM). But that race mode isn't too bad if you have power shifts stacked from your current progression and hazard targets (LE/prem model). So do this mode in single ball only and try not to hit the left loop until it's one of the last two shots then you can repeat hit it and use your power shifts to complete.
Stack a MB with cruisin if possible otherwise it's not such a bad single ball mode.
Hope this helps.
Btw, I left the club this weekend A trade popped up and I went with it. A fellow pinside right and friend asked me about the trade and I told him if it wasn't a trade for this specific game (LOTRLE), then I'd keep mustang - had no intention of selling for another game or trading it away for anything else.

Nice strategy tips - thanks! I too typically save the Cruisin' and Road Course modes for last and definitely need all the power shifts I can earn to help me get through them. Making it to Drift Race is still a rare achievement for me.

Sorry to hear you've traded your Boss Premium and left the club. And for a LOTR yet?! That's crazy!

Enjoy the game man and see you around the ST club thread!

#567 8 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Seriously the upper lft N2O is almost impossible for me. Im playing full games only aiming for the stand ups...lol.

I find that the upper left nitrous mini standup is easier to hit with a backhand off of the left flipper than a straight (or rebound) shot with the right flipper.

#598 8 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I can do a rundown of Mustang rules...it won't take that long. Hell, I have half of it written on a facebook PM to someone that asked for advice prior to Pinburgh.
My suggetstion for noobs is to go for 5th or 6th gear. One super jackpot can win a game. Also, don't shoot the ramp for super jackpots unless you just HAPPEN to get it. The captive ball does the exact same thing and won't come back STDM.
*Edit* It's not going to show up tomorrow or the next day...I'm working like 70 hours this week and I have some fun stuff lined up early next week that takes precedence.. I'll try and see if I can have it up sometime in the next week.

I've been in the process of compiling a detailed set of Mustang rules/strategy tips and currently have a 20+ page document that I was hoping to post soon. I still need to fill in various blanks by finishing the "glass off" research on my game. I'll shoot for posting my draft after this weekend for you and others to add to as needed. One thing I'm not currently clear on are any rule differences (such as getting Mustang letters) on the Pro version as I've only played LE's so far and haven't had the time to fully check out Pro gameplay videos.

#603 8 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Pro is "X number of spinner spins to light the scoop to collect a letter. Letters are awarded in sequence and do not carry over from player to player or game to game if competition mode is on in the options."

Thanks for the info! I'll include it in the rules doc draft.

#614 8 years ago
Quoted from DevilsTuner:

Yeah god forbid we talk cars in a thread about a car themed pin I digress!

Quoted from MustangPaul:

At least we're bumping the thread to keep it on top which shows us Mustang owners are alive and well.

Sorry guys, but I have to agree with BillySastard. While I appreciate your enthusiasm about the actual car's mechanics (I wished I owned one!) this thread is supposed to be about the pinball game itself.

From what I've observed, the primary reason for Mustang not being more popular among pinheads is that a lot of them just aren't into cars and don't get excited by the theme. I think as word of the game's actual quality spreads, more Pinsiders will make the effort to check this thread out. Unfortunately, I also think that if they finally do so and see a lot of discussion regarding actual car mechanics, they may just exit again without giving it the time it deserves.

Just my humble opinion as a fan of both the car and the game.

#620 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I just can't believe that people would actually go out of their way to complain about some people talking about their love of cars in a Mustang thread.
Is it *really* that much of an inconvenience to pass over those posts if they don't interest you?

I'm not looking to make a big deal out of this. Just want to point out that I offered a stated opinion in support of another post and provided my reasoning behind it. Please reread it. It's not a matter of inconvenience in skipping posts; I do it ALL the time in forum threads.

#630 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Yet you saw fit to post your opposition.

SIGH

"All the time" was meant figuratively - not literally. I do occasionally express my opinion on forums regarding matters that I care about. Shoot me.

#666 8 years ago
Quoted from karl:

I do think it was a bit cheap of Stern to only include 4 of the 8 music tracks on the pro, since they already have the license for them, anyway. Unless those tracks are paired together with special le/premium features that I am not aware of.
Anyone know what those missing tracks is btw? Anything good?

The full pre-installed selectable song list is:

 Ace of Spades (Road Rally mode default song) – Motorhead

 Drag City (Drag Race mode default song) - Jan & Dean

 Free Ride (Cruisin’ mode default song) - Edgar Winter

 Frankenstein (Road Course mode default song) - Edgar Winter

 Go, Boy, Go (multiball and game end default song) - Jimmy D'Anda

 I Just Want to Celebrate - Rare Earth

 My Own Worst Enemy – Lit

 What I Like About You - The Romantics

#705 8 years ago

I just posted a DRAFT Mustang RULES SET in the Rulesheets sub-forum. Also includes sections to be expanded upon for strategy tips and suggested code upgrades. This currently contains a lot of info that I think Mustang fans will find helpful, but it's a work in progress.

It can be found here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/draft-mustang-rules-set-check-em-out#post-2612645

If interested, please take a look and let me know of any corrections or additions needed and I'll update the doc periodically as needed. I could especially use input from Pro game owners as all of my hands on research was done on an LE game.

Thanks!

#709 8 years ago
Quoted from pinworthy:

After DevilsTuner mentioned a boast gauge it got me thinking ... what about a Nitrous pressure gauge? NoS is part of game play already so it seems like a natural.
So this is WAAAAAAAYYY over my head as far as tying it into the pin but in my head it work something like this: each time you hit a NoS target the light goes solid and the gauge jumps up by some increment (300 psi??) until the boost light is lit and at that point it is pegged. I know these are usually mechanical not electric so it may be too pricey to convert and tie into the game but I think it would look cool across from the Tach
73802.jpg

A nitrous gauge would be cool! I'd like to see a lighted indicator incorporated into it that would let you know if the 20 seconds of 2X scoring was still in effect. As it currently stands, hitting nitrous boost activates initial flashers for a few seconds, but then you're left guessing on remaining time.

#711 8 years ago

A lighted gauge that was timed to go from full pressure to zero over the course of 20 seconds would actually do the trick.

#734 8 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Two songs enter. Only one will emerge.
One of these is def going in. Informal poll...
She Don't Love Me, She Loves My Automobile
or
Manic Mechanic
Either way I win.

You need to read the ownership agreement that came with your game. Any song substitutions must be from the following list of official Mustang tunes:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2014/04/17/ford-mustang-songs-50th-anniversary/7814091/

Rock on!

#737 8 years ago

Ooooh! Nice choice!

1 week later
#760 8 years ago

I have Rock's undercab lighting on my Mustang and it's fantastic! Got one originally for my ST as a "what the heck" purchase and ended up absolutely loving the interactive lighting effects. Now its a must mod for me on any future modern games!

#768 8 years ago
Quoted from karl:

I have never understood the appeal with under cab lights. To me this is the most tacky and unnecessary mod to any pinball machine.
Just a personal observation.(I am probably alone in this) Not my intention to be a downer. I hope you are happy with the new mods.
PS! I see that Hooked went the extra mile(as usual) with mustang. Considering both the shifter and the spinner thingy

Guess I'm just a tacky guy.

I'm big on (tasteful) visuals, and wasn't very excited about undercab lights at first either because I didn't think the effect would be worthwhile. I was wrong. I like to play my games in a dimly lit or dark room and once I actually experienced the overall lighting effect from the changing colors in tune with the different game features, I became a big fan.

While it's great to feel the shaker motor and hear a special sound when you hit a specific target, it's that much better when the game is also surrounded by an instantaneous burst of light or glow that accentuates the playfield action even more. It just adds another level of visual appeal.

Quality of undercab lighting seems to vary somewhat by manufacturer and game, but if you haven't tried one in person, do yourself a favor and experience it before you rule it out as a mod.

#771 8 years ago
Quoted from karl:

Sorry about that "tacky" bit
you gave a good sales pitch there, Tuna. Almost makes me want to try it out again. Almost
I do not play in the dark so much. Maybe that is the main reason.

No problem Karl! Like any mod, undercab lighting will not be for everyone. I think the extent of its benefit will be dependent to a large degree by how much light you typically like in the room while you play pinball. I have a friend, for example, who likes his game room to be fully lit with overhead fluorescent fixtures on at all times. He obviously won't experience as much of an effect from undercab lighting as someone like me who prefers to play in a nearly or fully dark room. The darker the room - the greater the visual impact.

For me personally, I don't find the lighting effect to be distracting even in a dark room as it's not in your face so to speak, but rather, it provides a surrounding effect. That said, I realize that what constitutes a distraction will vary from person to person as well though.

#794 8 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

I cannot say enough great things about this PDI glass. Wish I would've ordered 2 and atleast got that (lol) discount.
Had my first 4 consecutive loops with the Hurst last night ! That baby is the lucky charm ! Now it just needs to charm my score up a little higher.

Love my game's Hooked Hurst shooter rod and plate too - a really cool Mustang mod in my book!

Your PDI glass looks nice! I'd love to see another shot of it with the playfield lit up if possible.

#801 8 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Finally got around to installing Hooked custom apron mod and speedo mod. Thanks Robert. Very happy.

Thanks - I hadn't realized that the dashboard mod was available for Premiums and LE's yet until I saw your photos.

#803 8 years ago

I'm good (got the last one), but I'm sure other Mustang owners will still want them. Hopefully, you find another workable source.

Looking forward to your next mod Robert - I'd still LOVE to see a timed nitrous gauge!

1 week later
#832 8 years ago
Quoted from Buckman:

It's a shame more people haven't given this machine a chance, if they did they might realize how cool it is!

Couldn't agree more as I think Mustang is a ton of fun to play! A lot of folks seem to really dislike the game's songs, but I like them just fine. I figure I'll change them out when I eventually get tired of them. No hurry in the meantime though.

#845 8 years ago
Quoted from pinworthy:

Mine is set with the factory playfield bubble in the middle(never checked the actual angle) but is dead level side to side and I don't have much trouble trapping from the right bowl, a bit harder from the store but doable. Usually I trap off the bowl but on the rare occasion I can tell it's coming out of the bowl fast enough that it would dribble off the end of the flipper if I don't shoot first.
My issue is that the gap between the flippers is wider than most and makes it harder for me to bounce pass so I try to back hand most of the shots rather than risk making the passes.

Same on my game.

1 month later
#871 8 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

its not registering at all last few games. No revs, no nuttin. I remember reading somebody cleaned their ramps and this happened. Funny, never had this issue until I wiped mine down with Novus.

Did you somehow get Novus in the actual switch mechanism? Does it look and sound sound (click) like it's functioning? Have you checked the electrical connection on the underside of the playfield?

#911 8 years ago

I'm planning to update this doc too with additional info and some corrections as soon as I can get to it.

2 weeks later
#926 8 years ago
Quoted from Hugg727:

I have taken the plunge and have a nib Boss/Premium being delivered next week.

Congratulations - you've made a fine choice! Mustang is a really FUN game and my only regret is that I didn't ignore the negative hype and give it a fair shot sooner than I did.

1 week later
#944 8 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

Hello All,
Below is what I posted in a thread about mods on Mustang and didn't get any responses; I think that thread may be dead
Can anyone please provide insight so I can order my 1:64 cars and any other accessories I may need?
Thanks!
Hello fellow Mustang fanatics! I just got a Pro not too long and am ready to start doing a few mods. The first thing I would like to do is add the 1:64 cars to the ramps. I saw where someone said the flat plastic mounts and screws are in the goodie bad, props for letting everyone know.
I have come up with a few questions:
1.) Do I have to buy the plastic spacers, are they in the goodie bag also, or are they even needed? http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3156
2.) I looked at Maisto's current online catalog and only saw a few 1:64 cars. Are we limited to only Maisto models or are people pretty much using whatever brand they want and if so how do other brands mount
3.) Does anyone know if there are any 1:64 1987-1993 Fox-body Mustangs out there besides the police ones? I saw one in Maisto's catalog, but I think you have to buy the whole 12pc All-star set to get it?
4.) I would also like to add a 1:64 2003-2004 Mustang Cobra since I owned one, and miss it! Does anyone know if anyone makes one of those in 1:64?
Thanks in advance!

I can't offer any info regarding what mounting parts come with a Pro as I have an LE, but I can recommend going with a slightly larger 1:43 scale Mustang by Greenlight such as this one:

ebay.com link: GREENLIGHT 86431 BULLITT STEVE MCQUEEN 1968 68 FORD MUSTANG GT 1 43 Scale GREEN

I replaced the two Maisto 1:64 cars that came with my game with a couple of 1:43 Greenlight Mustangs as they have much greater detail and still fit well on the ramp returns. I needed to glue a small rubber ring under each on the platforms provided in order to raise the wheels high enough. I don't have any photos of them that I can post at the moment, but I previously posted some a couple of months or so ago in this thread if interested.

Greenlight also makes a wider range of 1:64 cars (if you want to stick with that size) which I think look better than the Maisto cars as the latter are rather bland IMHO. You should be able to mount most any brand of car - it just may require drilling some new holes in the cars you choose. A "Mustang" search on eBay by scale will bring up lots of options.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

1 month later
#947 8 years ago

FYI for current or future Mustang Club members: I just updated my previously posted Mustang rules & info doc and a pdf link can be found at the start of this thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/draft-mustang-rules-set-check-em-out#post-2880353

Happy New Year!

#952 8 years ago

Cool! I'm looking forward to adding both of these as well!

1 week later
#969 8 years ago
Quoted from skywalker:

any decent links to Mustang pro vids, thanks

http://pinballvideos.com/?m=Mustang

1 week later
#979 8 years ago
Quoted from dtowndobe:

Is the code considered *complete* for Stern's Mustang? Or are there still things that need to fixed (not necessarily tweaked)?
Just curious as this pin is going to be on my wish list...

See page 33:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7bI7gUksbVgeW8yT1BsZ3R5cW8/view?usp=sharing

Third (and final) document version with additional info/refinements to be available soon. Examples of some more code fixes/improvements to be added are 1) GEARS multiball tilt bug (need to verify this yet) and 2) ability to see # of Power Shifts available in Instant Info.

Quoted from pninja005:

So how does it compare to TWD, Met and ACDC?
If there could be only 1?

Although all 3 are fun games as well, I personally wouldn't trade my Mustang for any of them.

#990 8 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

There's no 3x playfield, so I don't know how that'd be possible. Details?

Could possibly get 160,000,000 (or 200,000,000 for that matter) by building up Burnout multiball COMBO JACKPOT value and then scoring it while 2X is running.

Damn hard, but possible.

#993 8 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

I've seen 4x at the bonus count at the end of the ball. The Mustang Store Scoop can award 2x. The end of ball bonus has to do with the FORD rollovers at the top.

End of ball bonus = [(# of upgrades x 100K) + 125K] x bonus multiplier

#994 8 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

But there's no exploit for Burnout Multiball. That I know of, anyhow.

Thought I had gotten 2X during BM in my glass off research for my ruleset. I will recheck and reflect accordingly in next forthcoming version.

#998 8 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

I'm sure 2x applies to Burnout MB. But this multiball works as it should, unlike GEARS MB under certain repeatable circumstances, and this buggy GEARS MB behavior can be exploited.

I've been told that GEARS multiball has a tilt related gear reset bug that can be exploited in tournaments. Is that what you're referring to?

I apparently misunderstood what you meant in your earlier post about there being no exploit for Burnout multiball (thought you were saying that 2X scoring wasn't available during it). So ... you're not disputing that the progressive Burnout COMBO JACKPOT values of 20K, 40K, 60K, 80K, and 100K can each be doubled with 2X scoring right?

Just want to be sure that my understanding of the rules is correct and I'm not missing something.

#1002 8 years ago

Two great just released videos of top pros enjoying Mustang:

2 weeks later
#1016 8 years ago

Mustang code update for any of my Brothers and Sisters in Mustangdom that may have missed it:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-mustang-code#post-2982334

A great game is now even more polished - THANK YOU Stern Pinball!

#1026 8 years ago

I own both too (and an ST as well) and it would be a tough decision to let any go, but Mustang would be the last. When all is said and done, it's the most fun for me to play currently.

1 week later
#1037 8 years ago

Interesting. How many games were you able to play on the Premium?

Just curious. I would really miss the pop-up Road Hazard targets and Power Shift feature on the Premium/LE as they really add another element to the gameplay.

#1039 8 years ago

Wow - nice score!

I'm not aware of any sling layout or bowl differences between the Pro and Premium/LE models so it would seem that your concerns with the Premium that you played were due to that actual game itself rather than with the general model.

Other than the pop bumpers on the Premium and LE models being more concealed due to the turntable, I'm betting that most Pro owners would enjoy their other various added features. That said, I think that the many Pro owners who have stated how happy they are with their game is a testament to what a great overall game Mustang is regardless of model!

#1049 8 years ago

An urban themed design would be a nice option to have available.

I personally wouldn't want a design with more Mustang cars on it as I think that there are already enough in the game between the playfield artwork and the car models. That's one of the reasons I like (and have) the current Pingraffix pinblades; they evoke the spirit of the wild mustang horses for which the car is named while providing a colorful scenic background that complements the heavily car oriented playfield.

#1055 8 years ago
Quoted from pinworthy:

I don't really want actual cars just something that suggests cars/racing or the modes as an option to the horses. I wouldn't mind a nod to Shelby or Cobra Jet performance in there somewhere. OR maybe something a darker like an urban night scene to contrast all the red. I don't know for sure ... just not loving the western scene and I love western scenes, my house is full of them (which may actually be the issue )

I agree - there are a lot of cool Mustang related themes that could be incorporated into pinblade artwork and it would be nice to have more than one option.

1 week later
#1079 8 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Odds are it will be colorized eventually and should be awesome!

+1

Lots of opportunities for many varied colors to be used!

1 month later
#1095 7 years ago
Quoted from Icelandr:

Hey guys.... wanted to let everyone know about the new Gameblades™ by Tilt Graphics built specially for MUSTANG!

Nice!

#1100 7 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Anyone wanna convince me to get one of the 3 versions over the other two?

Although the Mustang Pro is a very popular and fun version, I highly recommend a Premium/LE model for the added features that they provide - primarily the Road Hazard pop-up targets and POWER SHIFTs. The latter is a "keep in your back pocket" bonus earned through skill shots and the RH targets that allow you to complete mode shots by hitting the lockdown bar button when desired. This feature is very handy for completing some of the tougher (upper row) modes and moving onto the Silver Stampede race.

I personally will be surprised if Stern does any further code updates for Mustang. Their last one addressed some final tournament affecting bugs that surfaced and I'm betting that they feel that the game is good to go now.

For more info, check this out:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7bI7gUksbVgeW8yT1BsZ3R5cW8/view?usp=sharing

I still plan to update this one final time soon. You can also do a search of my (or others') posts on this thread for numerous past discussions on game features.

Good luck with your purchase!

#1109 7 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

No, that's what I'm looking for. If you have a Mustang (the kind with 4 wheels), and have been happy with the Pro, then I probably would be too.

John Trudeau designs his games from the top down; full features are created for the LE/Premiums first and then he figures out what he can remove in order to enable the cheaper Pro model, but still have it be fun to play. Those who have actually experienced the complete facets of Mustang's rules and gameplay tend to value them more than those who haven't. As with many things in life, "ignorance is bliss".

If you are simply looking to buy a Mustang primarily because of the theme and having a more economical, but still fun, game meets your needs, than I'd recommend that you buy the Pro version. If playing the game as the design team fully envisioned it is important to you, and you feel the additional cost to do so is worthwhile, then don't settle for less than a Premium or LE.

#1114 7 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

The Premium and LE said they had more songs, right? And could the song differences be fixed with the Pro with PinBrowser? Because the music isn't a selling point at all for me. I'd probably replace it.

My understanding is that Pinball-Browser software will enable you to replace any pre-installed songs - not increase the overall number of song selections.

Music Selections:

Pro Model
• The pre-installed selectable song list, in alphabetical order, on the Pro model is:
o Ace of Spades (Road Rally mode default song) – Motorhead
o Drag City (Drag Race mode default song) - Jan & Dean
o Free Ride (Cruisin’ mode default song) - Edgar Winter
o Go, Boy, Go (multiball and game end default song) - Jimmy D'Anda

• Separate non-selectable generic music pieces are also pre-installed for each of the following modes:
o Police Pursuit
o Stunt Driver
o Road Course

Premium/LE Models
• The pre-installed selectable song list, in alphabetical order, on the Premium and LE models is:
o Ace of Spades (Road Rally mode default song) – Motorhead
o Drag City (Drag Race mode default song) - Jan & Dean
o Free Ride (Cruisin’ mode default song) - Edgar Winter
o Frankenstein (Road Course mode default song) - Edgar Winter
o Go, Boy, Go (multiball and game end default song) - Jimmy D'Anda
o I Just Want to Celebrate - Rare Earth
o My Own Worst Enemy – Lit
o What I Like About You - The Romantics

• Separate non-selectable generic music pieces are also pre-installed for each of the following modes:
o Police Pursuit
o Stunt Driver

2 weeks later
#1142 7 years ago

Cool! Other than PDI glass and a ColorDMD, this is the last thing that I've been waiting for to make my game complete.

1 month later
#1144 7 years ago

I assume you're talking about Mustang multiball. If so, it does carry over from ball to ball and game to game normally.

#1147 7 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Ya the Mustang multi ball. is there any way to turn the carry over off? sucks when people over playing a multi person game and player one starts with it lit.

I was just checking the game manual pdf online, but they don't list the game features settings - just standard settings. You have to bring up the features menu on your game to see them. I'm in the process of adding the info for these settings to my rules doc, but I can't access it right now. I think that there is a setting to turn the carryover off though.

#1149 7 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

If you find it let me know. Went through the settings a couple times already looking.

Just got home and checked the features adjustments; I don't see a carryover shutoff for Mustang multiball either.

#1157 7 years ago
Quoted from gawcol:

damned my topper is too big

Nice! Did you get that off a genuine longhorn mustang?

1 week later
#1162 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

That center nitrous tank is an impossible shot for me. I spend most of my games just trying to get the 3x nitrous boost. Got it once.

I find that it works best to hit the middle nitrous mini-standup target by backhanding a shot off the left flipper. Is that what you do?

Earning a SUPER NITROUS to get a 3X boost is a challenge for me as well.

#1166 7 years ago

Love my LE - Mustang is still one of my favorites. Unfortunately, its great gameplay features seem to be unappreciated by many due to initial theme dislike and lack of available games (especially Premium/LEs) to play.

#1179 7 years ago

I like this post & response on Stern's Facebook site today under their MET code update 1.70 announcement:

poster: Any word on a Mustang update?

Stern: Stay tuned!

Perhaps Mustang isn't finished code-wise after all!

#1186 7 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

And why not? They're still making Mustangs. Proving to be a more popular title than people realized.

Is Stern actually still making Mustangs? It has been moved to the archived games section on their website.

2 months later
#1198 7 years ago

Finally got around to getting a shorter hex post (for the lower bowl support) so I could install my 3D valve covers from Hooked on Pinball.

Another great Mustang mod - thanks Robert!

2016-9-4 Mustang lower playfield (resized).JPG2016-9-4 Mustang lower playfield (resized).JPG

5 months later
#1213 7 years ago
Quoted from cnuts13:

I recently got my mustang pro. I think there is too much white lighting on playfield and inserts? Anyone customize theres? Im thinking blue playfield lighting and mixing up the inserts. Great game once you understand the rules and have a plan.

I agree - way too much playfield insert white lighting and I subsequently switched out a lot of the insert bulbs with colored ones. Some of the changes I made to better differentiate the various upgrade and rollover related sets:

Upper rollover Ford lights : blue
Lower (outlane/inlane) rollover F-O-R-D lights: teal
RPM targets: red
Each upgrade insert is a unique color matched to source targets or rollovers where possible: Nitrous - purple; Body Mods - white; Drive Train - pink ; Engine - red; Tires - orange; Handling - cool white; and Tech - blue.

All in all, I think the resultant lighting effect looks much better and is a lot more functional for following what's happening from a gameplay/rules perspective.
Mustang upper playfield (resized).jpgMustang upper playfield (resized).jpg
Mustang lower playfield (resized).jpgMustang lower playfield (resized).jpg

1 month later
#1218 6 years ago

The Premium models seemed to be the most limited in quantity (100 - 200?) based on prior posts, but I don't recall seeing any production estimates for the LE's. Finding a Premium or LE to play on route seems to be especially rare with Mustang.

I happen to think that Mustang's ruleset is great and holds its own when compared to other Stern games. That's why I went to the effort of compiling them in a doc for the game - it deserves it! That and the desire to hopefully get some of those who haven't really given the game a fair shake due to their dislike of the theme, to realize how much fun its ruleset and gameplay really are.

Like all Stern games, its code was developed in stages and Jack Benson (who I understand made the final gameplay code upgrades and is no longer with Stern) added some great refinements. The last upgrade corrected a minor bug and although like any game's code, there are always additional enhancements that you'd like to see made, Mustang's is very satisfying.

#1221 6 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

The Premium and LE models did have numbered plaques. Seen on Pinside, some one with a number over 100, for a Premium. But is was not over number 150.

Doh! You're right - I forgot about the plaque as my Mustang is the only Stern LE I own.

There were apparently 500 LE's produced.

#1222 6 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Cant wait for Color DMD to hit.

+1

Mustang's animations are really well done and the dots are going to look especially fantastic in color!

1 week later
#1236 6 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Ok Mustang fans, here is an ultimate question.
"When in MUSTANG Multiball, and you hit all of the lit targets, lighting MUSTANG, What happens next?
Is there a high score awarded? Are levels rewarded? Do you get to Silverball Stampede? Has anyone done that?
I'm asking as I had just the 'T' left and just could not get it, and had never lit more than 4 or 5 letters, before tonight.

Once you complete complete all 7 sequential Mustang jackpots, the scoop lights for a Super Jackpot worth variable points. Mustang multiball ends once you collect the Super Jackpot or when there's only one ball remaining.

#1237 6 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Here is another question, in "Silverball Stampede", is this a pure video mode, or does one shoot the lit targets like in MUSTANG Multiball?
Only got to SilverBall Stampede twice, since owning the pin. When the playfield lighting dims to a grey, and the target lights change to a grey/purple colour. (colour changing on the Premium and L.E.)

In the Silverball Stampede wizard mode, you have 3 rounds of shooting targets that correspond to the lanes on the DMD animations. The 4th and final round consists of shooting the same targets as needed to collect a total of 100 hits to destroy the animated Mother Ship and thereby collect a 50 million point award and end the mode.

#1239 6 years ago

You're welcome! I forgot to mention too that the first three rounds of the Silverball Stampede are 3-ball multiballs, but the 4th (and final) round is a 6-ball multiball.

#1241 6 years ago
Quoted from bushz:

Is this one of those games that the difference between pro and premium is significant enough to buy the premium? Are the upgrades must haves?

Having the extra features and in particular, Power Shifts - which are akin to AC/DC VIP Passes or TWD Walker Bombs - and the extra depth they add to skill shots, risk/reward strategy, and added ability to completing modes, are well worth the additional cost to me and I heartily recommend going for a Premium/LE.

That said though, and without getting into yet another Pinside Pro vs. Premium debate, what is considered "significant" is very subjective when it comes to quantifying their value from an actual cost standpoint. The majority of Mustang Pro owners seem to be very happy with their game as is.

3 weeks later
#1253 6 years ago

Thanks - always cool to hear other song variations! Watching your Mustang videos has made me want to go crack a beer and play mine now.

Enjoy!

#1266 6 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Not kidding at all. Wouldn't be for nothin'. WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE

ColorDMD code?!!!

#1269 6 years ago

I've got my LE loaded up and I'm on my way from Seattle! Should be hitting Muskego in about 30 hours or so.

#1272 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Your kidding, your really doing that so we can get it colored? WOW.

If only I could ... oh for the open road and seeing Mustang's great dots get colored! Unfortunately, I've got bills to pay and the MAN requires me to show up at work today. SIGH.

Hopefully, another (much closer) Premium/LE becomes available for Eric's use soon!

1 week later
#1283 6 years ago
Quoted from scooter75:

Can't believe it isn't even in the top 100 with some of the dogs that made it on there.

Hear, hear! A prime example of the subjective nature of pinball ratings.

#1306 6 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

My machine might be gone but you can't throw me outta the club!

Hey - Mr. "sells his Mustang to preorder a My Little Pony" (or some such thing) - how'd you get in here?! This club is reserved for those who TRULY appreciate the finest in pinball machines - MUSTANG!

2 weeks later
#1343 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I just placed my order for that new Pin Stadium lighting kit to install on Mustang. I think it will look terrific and really make Mustang shine. I'll post pics when the kits ship and I have mine installed.

Cool - I look forward to seeing your pics!

1 week later
#1346 6 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

just having a swap proposal with a pro model, VS my GB (also pro) and a correct money gap
than i'm not sure...
as a "good" player, i like all in GB, except the code not being finished/debuged/modified (see the purpose topic)
and in the other way, let's be honest, artwork of Mustang is (really) poor, to not say more ! and this is a prob for me
BUT
i know game is fun, layout is quite unusual (2 games by Trudeau) and code is complete and more than nice (even if its Lonnie )
help, dont know what to do

Only you can decide what is important to you as everyone is different. FWIW though, I find Mustang to be a HELL of a lot more fun and satisfying to play than Ghostbusters. No code issues either.

I also have no problem with Mustang's aesthetics other than it having too many bright white lit inserts. Convert some of these to color and add some blade skins and it's fine in my book.

1 month later
#1373 6 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

I'm in no rush for ColorDMD for Mustang.

I can't wait. Mustang's dots will look fantastic in full color! The sigma DMD is installed in my LE and all ready for the code as soon as it becomes available.

2 months later
#1395 6 years ago

A tach gauge is a great mod. Sure would LOVE to be able to add a nitrous gauge as well that is tied into the Nitrous Boost 2X (and 3X) scoring sequence!

#1411 6 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

I'm looking at buying a 2016 CS/GT.

Cool! What color?

If only I hadn't bought so many damn pinball machines ...

2016 Shelby GT350 (resized).jpg2016 Shelby GT350 (resized).jpg

#1417 6 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

I drove a hell cat that was traded in a few weeks ago...what a heavy load that was. Had 17k miles on it and it felt like a slug.

Don't tell Kaneda.

Just checked out the 2018 Mustangs. Me likey.

2018 Mustang GT350 (resized).png2018 Mustang GT350 (resized).png

4 weeks later
#1441 6 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Also the Premium at the time was a lower cost than the LE. Just didn't think the additions on the LE were worth the Extra money.

I ended up purchasing an LE (my first and only so far) because they were available for less than the Premiums at the time. Very happy to have it!

2 weeks later
#1448 6 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Great news! Your Mustang with stock music has zero Beach Boys in it.

Yep - love that Jan & Dean "Drag City" tune!

Much different from Beach Boys.

#1451 6 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

Ha ha, played the game after making that post and realized it was Jan and Dean, I knew people would give me crap for it, but all good. Looking to upgrade the music.

It's a common mistake as most Pinsiders don't seem to be into early 60's surfer music.

The important thing is that Mustang should be appreciated for its fun gameplay and if switching out the music helps you do that, then go for it!

1 month later
#1471 6 years ago

Wishing for a Mustang ColorDMD release in 2018!

In the meantime, I have a sigma display installed & ready and I'm currently digging the orange (after trying yellow and then blue) display:

DSC03338 (resized).JPGDSC03338 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#1480 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Amazing what they can do with plastic these days.

Absolutely! Soooooo nice!!!

8 months later
#1508 5 years ago

Mine is the same as this club's slogan: "This ain't your daughter's pony!"

1 week later
#1515 5 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

I still think Cruisin' 2 should have the difficulty dialed down a bit. That has been the only thing stopping me from SS many times. Tonight was finally my night though, and I managed through it with a double danger and a pure luck hit on the final roving shot. Had to play SS with my fingertips to avoid tilting, LOL!

That's the nice thing about being able to earn Power Shifts on the Premium/LE models - you use them to help complete modes when needed!

#1518 5 years ago

Scored my best Drift mode ever last weekend - 244 million. Probably my favorite mode in the game - such a blast every time and so satisfying to hit the Drift shot to collect the points!

Love the callout by the chick at the end too: "That ... was ... SOOO ... COOOOL!"

1 month later
#1569 5 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Mustang is a lot of fun, but it's really bare compared to pins a few years earlier. If you don't replace the stock music in Mustang, then that brings it down a few notches in terms of fun.

I agree that Mustang is a lot of fun - regardless of model. It has great code and a variety of shots and features that combine to surpass those of most earlier Sterns (including NASCAR IMHO). This is even more true with the Premium/LE models though that add an additional level of fun to the game via more features, songs, and code. As in any game, enjoyment of the stock music is subjective and easily switched out if desired. Mustang's seems to get a bad rap by many Pinsiders as some of the songs specifically selected to cover the car's 50 years, preceded their listening interests.

#1598 5 years ago

I have these valve covers on my Mustang and they look really cool! Love the detailed chrome and the lit up red "351's"!

3 weeks later
#1643 5 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

Played a Pro for the first time this past weekend. My friend and local Ford Dealer has one... only 500 plays on it...... a lot of fun!
Is there a software update for this title ? My friend never plays the game and really isn’t into pinball but I would like to get it updated for him if possible.

http://www.sternpinball.com/games/mustang/pro

1 month later
#1671 5 years ago

I have sadly and officially now left the Mustang club as I sold my LE outside of Pinside this weekend. I will truly miss playing it and I'll continue to fight the good fight of countering the naysayers who have never given it a fair chance due to its less than popular theme. Mustang is a really FUN game that is absurdly underrated at its current Pinside #134 (!!!) slot.

I encourage all pinheads not already familiar with it, to seek one out and play some games on it - even better if you find a Premium or LE with their added features!
Rules and strategy info can be found here for those interested:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7bI7gUksbVgeW8yT1BsZ3R5cW8/view

#1675 5 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Goodbye Sir Tuna hope your next game is as good or better. Still hoping for a color dmd this year.

Thanks Robert. A ColorDMD was the one remaining mod that I was really looking forward to adding to my Mustang as it has a great set of dots that will look fantastic in color! I won't miss what has been a frustrating wait so far, but I hope they finally create the software soon for the rest of you guys to enjoy.

Quoted from MustangPaul:

Oh man I thought you were a lifer. Sorry to see you go.

Thanks Paul - so did I, but unfortunately, limitations of space and new games funds have forced my hand.

2 weeks later
#1689 5 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

This is what I can show you, as I don’t longer have this game.

It needs some work. I had a laptop crash and lost some files, also the firmware is now 1.45, I made it under 1.4
Maybe I will correct it someday

Nice work - so cool to see some Mustang animations in color finally!

It's a shame that ColorDMD hasn't produced a colorized version for Mustang yet as its dots are SO MUCH BETTER than those on a lot of other games that have been done.

1 month later
#1700 4 years ago
Quoted from thepinballworks:

I am in the club now. Just got delivered.
[quoted image]

Congrats and enjoy racking up those Power Shifts! Adds another dimension to the skill shots - my favorite one was to hold the left flipper in, plunge full orbit, trap the ball, and shoot the scoop.

#1705 4 years ago
Quoted from thepinballworks:

... So when is the color DMD being made for it? Does anyone know yet?

anytime now (resized).jpganytime now (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#1709 4 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

Did anyone has artblades installed and can show pictures of it. Not sure now if I should take pingraffix, tilt or retrorefurbs.

DSC04276 (resized).JPGDSC04276 (resized).JPG
DSC04275 (resized).JPGDSC04275 (resized).JPG

#1721 4 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

What are premiums and LEs selling for these days?

I sold my loaded HUO LE for $6,500.

#1727 4 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Tuna - you sold?!?!

Yeah - twas a sad day, but life goes on. Of all my games, I felt that I had gotten the most out of my Mustang and I was looking to change up my collection somewhat.

Still a BIG fan of the game though!

7 months later
#1823 4 years ago

Word on the street is that the Mustang Vault Edition game's artwork will be upgraded to solely feature the Mach-E models!

1 month later
#1832 4 years ago
Quoted from Fastfred:

I agree with the ColorDMD. Would like to see it added as I believe many others also that owned Mustang pins. Perhaps send the company a email as I have done already and if the company gets enough emails perhaps they will make one. Come on guys lets get emails to the colorDMD company. Thanks.

Part of the reason I decided to let my Mustang go is that I got tired of waiting for a colorDMD to be available for it. The only Stern DMD game, of many that I've owned, without one. A real shame as its dots are so good!

#1834 4 years ago

HIGHLY recommend LE if you can't find a Premium. All of the great extra features and it may even be cheaper than a Premium due to numbers of each produced.

2 weeks later
#1838 4 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

Premium Found! In the club! (Thank You Robert!)

Very cool - congrats!

If I ever get back in the club (never say never), I'd ideally like to get a Premium next time around.

2 weeks later
#1877 4 years ago

Looking forward to seeing the Mustang Multiball start animation!

#1879 4 years ago
Quoted from MadMaxDad:

There weren't many dots for detail on the cars - so you kind of have to use your imagination, but much better 7 red cars [quoted image]

Sweet! Much better than just red!

Thanks again for getting this colorization done Jeff. It has been my understanding that Mustang's dots were a challenge to colorize and you've performed a noble service in making a great game even better now!

2 years later
#2046 1 year ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Picked up a premium over the weekend, 0043, super nice. Always wanted one, but could never find it. Has the tach mod I think from hooked.
My question is whether a shaker motor is worth getting? I'll add side mirrors too.
Was going to add a color lcd dmd, but I didn't realize they were $500 now, pretty hard to justify it even though they make really nice products. I'll probably stick with the red dmd.

Congrats! I'd get another Mustang if I could find a Premium at a sane price.

Shaker is definitely worth it. Gotta FEEL that engine revving!

I waited and waited for a color DMD for my Mustang, but alas ... I ended up selling my LE before they finally released one. Color DMDs are a must have upgrade for me personally and still worth it at $500 apiece.

#2065 1 year ago
Quoted from Lermods:

... And what causes the turntable to spin?

The turntable is supposed to revolve during each of the six Mustang Event modes.

#2067 1 year ago
Quoted from Lermods:

But there are 7 letters. You have to replay the modes?

Earned letters are not limited to one per mode; just shoot the scoop to earn an unlit one each time the light at the front of the turntable flashes.

Here's a rules/features doc, that I put together back when I had a Mustang, that you might find useful. It's not 100%, but very close and the subsequent 1.45 code mainly addressed bugs. I had a refined version in the works until I sold my LE and moved on to other projects.

2015-12-31 Stern Mustang Pinball Rules Info & Strategy.pdf2015-12-31 Stern Mustang Pinball Rules Info & Strategy.pdf

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 49.99

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tuna_Delight.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mustang-ride-the-pony-club?tu=Tuna_Delight and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.