• 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by PoMC
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Mustang Sound Requests (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tullster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

I've mentioned on other threads how much fun it has been changing out music on my Mustang Pro Pinball, and have been contacted by several people with questions. I thought a dedicated thread would be a good idea to swap knowledge & ideas. Thanks to the Pinball Browser, it's fairly easy and fun to try out different tunes for the different modes. I've got a big CD collection to pull songs from, so finding the right song for the right mode has been fun.

I'm no computer expert, but I figured it out with the help of the Pinball Browser thread and a LOT of trial & error. If I can do it, anybody can!

So here's a general overview of what worked for me. I'm not going to go into a lot of fine detail, and some of this you'll have to figure out for yourself. In other words, don't blame me if it doesn't work for you. Keep a spare copy of the original code as backup. Also, the songs that you'll be changing are NOT licensed to the game. Putting modified software with unlicensed songs in a game that is placed in a public location is illegal and could result in more trouble that it's worth.

Be sure to check out the Pinball Browser thread for more information. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images
And thanks to oga83 for creating the Browser.

So here's what works for me...

- Download & open Winamp, Pinball Browser and Audacity.
- Rip the CD track using Winamp (Or rip using Windows Media Player which I find easier to use, then store in My Music, then transfer to Winamp). Right click on the track and send track to format converter. Convert to .wav and store on Desktop.

- Open Pinball Browser and contribute.
- Click on sounds. Open Mustang software folder. NO to "check bookmarks". The software will load into the browser.
- "Request" is the location. Click on the script below it and hit play. The sound for that request will play. The time shown is the amount of time you have for your track.

- Open Audacity. Click File - Import - Audio. Find your .wav track on Desktop. Import and your track will load.
- Select length and enter the time you have for the track. Play with the start time to "slide" the track length around. Also, place cursor on Play and hold shift & press space to loop. For example, I found one of the tracks I used worked best using a chorus & guitar solo in a loop (5 minute song that I could only use 55 seconds of).
- Project Rate needs to be 24000 kHz (unless you've contributed), and split Stereo to Mono. Record your finished track watching the volume. You want it loud, but not distorted.
- Delete the Stereo Tracks and Save the Mono Project to Desktop.

- Open Browser again. Select the Script you're replacing and Import your finished Project Track. It'll show up in an Edit Sound Window, but as long as the song length is ok, you should be good to go.
- Click Import. You'll get a Sound Edit Warning. Click OK.
- Play your new track to check for volume and distortion.
- Repeat process for the next track you want to replace.
- Be sure to save your Project as "Modified" or something, and always keep a copy of the Stock Code!
- I keep an "Original 1.4" and a "Modified 1.4"

For Mustang Pro, Here are the requests for the different modes...

Request 26 - Cruisn' Mode Song "Free Ride" - Time 2:49.679
Request 32 - Rally Race Song "Ace of Spades" - Time 2:44.124
Request 38 - Multiball, Game Over, etc. Song "Go Boy Go" - Time 1:19.050
Request 39 - Drag race Multiball "Drag City" - Time 1:53.911
Request 46 - Police Pursuit Song - Time 1:29.582
Request 47 - Stunt Driver Song - Time 55.031
Request 48 - Road Course Song - Time 54.542

The last 3 Requests, 46 - 48 are generic techno boogie type songs that can be replaced with real songs.

So there you go. Hope this is a help to some of you who are interested in doing this! Let us know your ideas and questions.

And don't forget to contribute to the Pinball Browser. It's easily been my favorite "mod" on Mustang so far!

Post edited by tullster: Added update steps

#4 9 years ago

Good luck and have fun!

The Audacity part was the most interesting, in finding just the right chunk of song that fits in the time you're given. "Sliding" the time 1/10th of a second one way or the other to make a really good sound loop was frustrating to me at first, but once you figure it out it's really an interesting tool to work with.

There's only maybe a dozen of us Mustang owners! So let us know how it goes and report back so others might take the plunge.

#11 9 years ago

The "Go Boy Go" Song is by Jimmy D'Anda. I don't know much about it, and there's not a lot of information I could find. He is/was the Drummer for the BulletBoys and my hunch is that he knows somebody at Stern and did the song for the game?

It's not too bad of a song, but to me, "Blitzkrieg Bop" by The Ramones works better.

The great thing is that you're not tied down too much by theme. Pretty much any car/cruising/uptempo song can fit.

#12 9 years ago

I've added the Sound Update steps that worked for me to the first post. Once you figure it out, it goes pretty quick.

#15 9 years ago

Thought I'd combine threads since there are 2 more on the topic...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mustang-music-1

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mustang-music

And steal the video about working with the browser from one of the threads...

http://www.youtube.com/embed/lB6W0j3ApaI?autoplay=1&rel=0

And list a few songs I've been experimenting with...

Highway Star & Burn by Deep Purple
Blitzkrieg Bop by The Ramones
Black Sunshine by White Zombie
Theme to Bullitt by Lalo Schifrin
Love Removal Machine by The Cult
James Bond Theme by John Barry Orch.
Jesus Built My Hot Rod by Ministry
Cruise on Out By Rory Gallagher
Hot Rod by Black Oak Arkansas
Peter Gunn Theme by The Blues Brothers
Dominance & Submission by Blue Oyster Cult
Jack the Ripper by Link Wray

I tend to stay away from songs you hear on the radio every day. Some of these songs work (for me) and some don't. Some songs I thought would be great don't seem to work in certain modes.

I could probably go on with other Car/Cruisn' songs and know there are other great songs out there!

Anybody else got some favorites? Between the 12 of us we could probably come up with some good ones!

#17 9 years ago

I tried Mustang Sally, and liked Buddy Guy's version best, but it just didn't work for me.

#21 9 years ago

Yeah, White Zombie was the real thing back in the day! Must have listened to that album 1000 times!

Black Sunshine fits perfectly in Police Pursuit Mode. Nothing like Iggy Pop growling "The wheels of his Mustang exploding on the highway like a slug from a .45!"

I tried some Foghat songs too, and made a 55 second loop of Drivin' Wheel that sounded good. I didn't use it though (yet!).

Heading Out To The Highway by Judas Priest works well too!!

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

All these songs are great, now we need a way to get those great sounding songs out of the game.....speakers....amp....sub....SOMETHING.

I was happy with how it sounded, and with the new songs I'm leaning towards a speaker upgrade too!

Hey Paul, I assume you found someone to help you get some new songs in there? Makes quite a difference, doesn't it!

Any LE owners that have changed out songs? I'd assume you'd have to change the display too since I seem to recall the songs are shown when selecting.

And Chevrolet would be a hoot! It's a challenge finding songs that mention Mustang or Ford.
Ted Nugent's "Hey Baby" has the line "Hey Baby, jump in the back of my Ford"....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
6,350 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 7.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com
Toys/Add-ons
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 19.95
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards
Pinball Machine
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Trade
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hudson, FL
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tullster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mustang-pinball-music?tu=tullster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.