Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by PoMC
  • Topic is favorited by 20 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Mustang Sound Requests (resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

I've mentioned on other threads how much fun it has been changing out music on my Mustang Pro Pinball, and have been contacted by several people with questions. I thought a dedicated thread would be a good idea to swap knowledge & ideas. Thanks to the Pinball Browser, it's fairly easy and fun to try out different tunes for the different modes. I've got a big CD collection to pull songs from, so finding the right song for the right mode has been fun.

I'm no computer expert, but I figured it out with the help of the Pinball Browser thread and a LOT of trial & error. If I can do it, anybody can!

So here's a general overview of what worked for me. I'm not going to go into a lot of fine detail, and some of this you'll have to figure out for yourself. In other words, don't blame me if it doesn't work for you. Keep a spare copy of the original code as backup. Also, the songs that you'll be changing are NOT licensed to the game. Putting modified software with unlicensed songs in a game that is placed in a public location is illegal and could result in more trouble that it's worth.

Be sure to check out the Pinball Browser thread for more information. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images
And thanks to oga83 for creating the Browser.

So here's what works for me...

- Download & open Winamp, Pinball Browser and Audacity.
- Rip the CD track using Winamp (Or rip using Windows Media Player which I find easier to use, then store in My Music, then transfer to Winamp). Right click on the track and send track to format converter. Convert to .wav and store on Desktop.

- Open Pinball Browser and contribute.
- Click on sounds. Open Mustang software folder. NO to "check bookmarks". The software will load into the browser.
- "Request" is the location. Click on the script below it and hit play. The sound for that request will play. The time shown is the amount of time you have for your track.

- Open Audacity. Click File - Import - Audio. Find your .wav track on Desktop. Import and your track will load.
- Select length and enter the time you have for the track. Play with the start time to "slide" the track length around. Also, place cursor on Play and hold shift & press space to loop. For example, I found one of the tracks I used worked best using a chorus & guitar solo in a loop (5 minute song that I could only use 55 seconds of).
- Project Rate needs to be 24000 kHz (unless you've contributed), and split Stereo to Mono. Record your finished track watching the volume. You want it loud, but not distorted.
- Delete the Stereo Tracks and Save the Mono Project to Desktop.

- Open Browser again. Select the Script you're replacing and Import your finished Project Track. It'll show up in an Edit Sound Window, but as long as the song length is ok, you should be good to go.
- Click Import. You'll get a Sound Edit Warning. Click OK.
- Play your new track to check for volume and distortion.
- Repeat process for the next track you want to replace.
- Be sure to save your Project as "Modified" or something, and always keep a copy of the Stock Code!
- I keep an "Original 1.4" and a "Modified 1.4"

For Mustang Pro, Here are the requests for the different modes...

Request 26 - Cruisn' Mode Song "Free Ride" - Time 2:49.679
Request 32 - Rally Race Song "Ace of Spades" - Time 2:44.124
Request 38 - Multiball, Game Over, etc. Song "Go Boy Go" - Time 1:19.050
Request 39 - Drag race Multiball "Drag City" - Time 1:53.911
Request 46 - Police Pursuit Song - Time 1:29.582
Request 47 - Stunt Driver Song - Time 55.031
Request 48 - Road Course Song - Time 54.542

The last 3 Requests, 46 - 48 are generic techno boogie type songs that can be replaced with real songs.

So there you go. Hope this is a help to some of you who are interested in doing this! Let us know your ideas and questions.

And don't forget to contribute to the Pinball Browser. It's easily been my favorite "mod" on Mustang so far!

Post edited by tullster: Added update steps

#2 4 years ago

Nice Post. I will Try and and report
Thanks so far...

#3 4 years ago

Looks like it would be fun to do but I have like 5 cd's.

#4 4 years ago

Good luck and have fun!

The Audacity part was the most interesting, in finding just the right chunk of song that fits in the time you're given. "Sliding" the time 1/10th of a second one way or the other to make a really good sound loop was frustrating to me at first, but once you figure it out it's really an interesting tool to work with.

There's only maybe a dozen of us Mustang owners! So let us know how it goes and report back so others might take the plunge.

#5 4 years ago

I thought

Yello - The Race
The Doors feat Snoop - Riders on the Storm
Amerika - A Horse with no Name

will Be fine

Someone other Suggestions ?

#7 4 years ago

I would like to do this for a couple of my sterns as well.

Does someone know if this is PC based only or can I do all this with my Mac.

Thanks for the info Tully.

Thanks

chris

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from tullster:

I'm no computer expert, but I figured it out with the help of the Pinball Browser thread and a LOT of trial & error. If I can do it, anybody can!
!

You want to make a bet I have tried and tried and I can't figure it out! I just gave up.

#9 4 years ago

Nice of you to share Tully! Now I just need to get over there and rock out to that bad boy! You free in the next few days?

#10 4 years ago

For some reason I can't find a video of "Go, Man, Go" anywhere... can someone post it here?

#11 4 years ago

The "Go Boy Go" Song is by Jimmy D'Anda. I don't know much about it, and there's not a lot of information I could find. He is/was the Drummer for the BulletBoys and my hunch is that he knows somebody at Stern and did the song for the game?

It's not too bad of a song, but to me, "Blitzkrieg Bop" by The Ramones works better.

The great thing is that you're not tied down too much by theme. Pretty much any car/cruising/uptempo song can fit.

#12 4 years ago

I've added the Sound Update steps that worked for me to the first post. Once you figure it out, it goes pretty quick.

#13 4 years ago

I think someone need to do a video capture of this being done so I could follow along.

#14 4 years ago

I so need to change out a couple of the songs, but I will need to be really sure of what I am doing before I attempt it.

#15 4 years ago

Thought I'd combine threads since there are 2 more on the topic...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mustang-music-1

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mustang-music

And steal the video about working with the browser from one of the threads...

http://www.youtube.com/embed/lB6W0j3ApaI?autoplay=1&rel=0

And list a few songs I've been experimenting with...

Highway Star & Burn by Deep Purple
Blitzkrieg Bop by The Ramones
Black Sunshine by White Zombie
Theme to Bullitt by Lalo Schifrin
Love Removal Machine by The Cult
James Bond Theme by John Barry Orch.
Jesus Built My Hot Rod by Ministry
Cruise on Out By Rory Gallagher
Hot Rod by Black Oak Arkansas
Peter Gunn Theme by The Blues Brothers
Dominance & Submission by Blue Oyster Cult
Jack the Ripper by Link Wray

I tend to stay away from songs you hear on the radio every day. Some of these songs work (for me) and some don't. Some songs I thought would be great don't seem to work in certain modes.

I could probably go on with other Car/Cruisn' songs and know there are other great songs out there!

Anybody else got some favorites? Between the 12 of us we could probably come up with some good ones!

#17 4 years ago

I tried Mustang Sally, and liked Buddy Guy's version best, but it just didn't work for me.

#18 4 years ago

Golden Earring - Radar Love

#19 4 years ago

My game was modified before i got it.
It has Free Ride and Ace of Spades
It has a beatles song, a brief zeppelin song and something else I forgot.
It has this in multiball/game over and its great.
Thunder Kiss '65-White Zombie

So far Im thinking (properly edited)

Take the money and Run -Steve Miller
Under Pressure- Queen and David Bowie
The Spirt of Radio- Rush

#20 4 years ago

Interstate Love Song -STP
American Girl -Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Jamie's Cryin- Van Halen
Runnin' with the Devil- Van Halen

#21 4 years ago

Yeah, White Zombie was the real thing back in the day! Must have listened to that album 1000 times!

Black Sunshine fits perfectly in Police Pursuit Mode. Nothing like Iggy Pop growling "The wheels of his Mustang exploding on the highway like a slug from a .45!"

I tried some Foghat songs too, and made a 55 second loop of Drivin' Wheel that sounded good. I didn't use it though (yet!).

Heading Out To The Highway by Judas Priest works well too!!

#22 4 years ago

All these songs are great, now we need a way to get those great sounding songs out of the game.....speakers....amp....sub....SOMETHING.

#23 4 years ago

no supercharger heaven from SuperSexySwinginSingles? for laffs, Foghat's "Chevrolet" maybe. there were a few cool sound tracks from the original NFS computer games, might be fun to see someone recognize.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from zizzlemeplease:

for laffs, Foghat's "Chevrolet" maybe

Now THAT'S a laugh.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

All these songs are great, now we need a way to get those great sounding songs out of the game.....speakers....amp....sub....SOMETHING.

I was happy with how it sounded, and with the new songs I'm leaning towards a speaker upgrade too!

Hey Paul, I assume you found someone to help you get some new songs in there? Makes quite a difference, doesn't it!

Any LE owners that have changed out songs? I'd assume you'd have to change the display too since I seem to recall the songs are shown when selecting.

And Chevrolet would be a hoot! It's a challenge finding songs that mention Mustang or Ford.
Ted Nugent's "Hey Baby" has the line "Hey Baby, jump in the back of my Ford"....

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from tullster:

Hey Paul, I assume you found someone to help you get some new songs in there? Makes quite a difference, doesn't it!

Yeah a friend of mine helped me out. He chose all the songs but Rockin Down the Highway. Only negitive is I wish the games sound system was better.

#28 4 years ago

I'm sorry, I always choose the Ace of Spades. I like the tune that much. Tell me it's not an awesome pinball jam!

#29 4 years ago

So on the Prem/Le you can upgrade 8 songs?

1 year later
#30 2 years ago

I updated my pro music a few months back, and finally found my notes so I could document everything here for posterity. I mapped out pretty much all of the music request #s available to edit. Changing just the main songs makes a big difference, but I have found going further and replacing even the short "in-between modes" requests does make a difference and makes it a different game. Here is what there is to work with (again, pro only...prem/LE will be different):

Request # / Mode / Length
26 / Cruisin' / 2.49.679
27-30 are automatically populated with chunks of 26 - do not worry about how these cut/loop as you will not really notice in-game.
32 / Rally Race / 2.44.124
33-37 are automatically populated with chunks of 32 - do not worry about how these cut/loop as you will not really notice in-game.
38 / Gear Shift Multiball & Drag Race Multiball & Game Over / 1.19.050
39 / Drag Race before the multiball / 1.53.911
40 - 43 are automatically populated with chunks of 39 - do not worry about how these cut/loop as you will not really notice in-game.
44 / Police Pursuit Intro / 0.6.399
45 / Police Pursuit 1 / 0.51.177
46 / Police Pursuit 2 / 1.29.582
47 / Stunt Driver / 0.55.031
48 / Road Course / 0.54.542
50 / Drift Ready / 0.11.966
51 / Drift 1 / 0.24.000
52 / Drift 2 / 0.53.999
53 / Silverball Stampede Ready / 0.37.149
54 / Silverball Stampede / 0.52.460
55 / Game Start / 0.11.999
56 / New Car Ready / 0.35.999
57 / Between modes? / 0.24.751
59 / Burnout Multiball / 0.35.386
60 / ? (Possibly Mustang Multiball ready when ball in shooter lane?) / 0.13.712
61 / Mustang Multiball ready / 0.58.304
62 / Mustang Multiball / 0.35.238
63 / Mystery Car & Upgrade Mode & Upgrade Multiball / 0.44.305
64 / Upgrade Mode Ready & Upgrade Multiball Ready / 0.44.289

There are a few numbers not listed above that simply copy a different request, and those should be left alone.

It may seem like many of these are too short to create a good loop without being repetitive or meaningless, but I found them to be very worthwhile. It wasn't that hard to find a fun instrumental portion of a song to use in the very short areas.

Here is what I used for my custom music. No laughing...I like it.

Cruisin': Aerosmith - Walk This Way

Rally Race: had to keep the stock Motorhead - Ace of Spades

Gear Shift multi, Drag Race multi, game over: Motley Crue - Kickstart My Heart

Drag Race: kept the stock Jan & Dean - Drag City

Police Pursuit: White Zombie - Thunder Kiss '65 (used 3 different chunks of the song for the 3 different requests for this mode)

Stunt Driver: The Beatles - Drive My Car

Road Course: AC/DC - Back in Black

Drift: The Beastie Boys - Sabotage (again 3 different chunks)

Silverball Stampede: Metallica - Fuel (also used for Burnout but used 2 different chunks of the song, and it's not like I will see SS much!)

Start / New Car Ready / Between: Poison - Nothing But a Good Time (it made sense to use the same song for these as sort of the game's "rest mode" between other stuff. Again 3 different chunks of the song and it works REALLY well in between everything else).

Burnout Multiball: Metallica - Fuel (see above, get to hear this portion of the song WAY more than the SS portions!).

Mustang Multiball Ready: Guns N Roses - Welcome to the Jungle

Mustang Multiball: I kept the stock music as I like it. Might change this to be more Welcome to the Jungle at some point.

Mystery Car / Upgrade: Rob Zombie - Dragula

It took a lot of work to find the perfect song chunks to fit the allotted times and which would loop nicely. There are a few requests which I listed above, which auto-populate small chunks from a larger request and you really do not have any control over them. I have noticed rough transitions from those requests from time to time, but they really are not that noticeable with all of the other sounds and action going on during gameplay.

The first song or two had a bit of a learning curve figuring out how to use Audacity, but once you figure it out it's really easy. I basically just set the length needed for each request, then used the start time counter to move the chunk around until it looped as well as possible. It isn't nearly as intimidating as it sounds. The worst part from me was matching the volumes. I had to adjust volume within Audacity and ended up having to use the compressor feature to keep from having certain parts of the songs being blown out or too quiet. Even with that I still ended up doing a final volume tweak within Pinball Browser for some of the songs. That took a little back and forth to get close to perfect, even as far as loading the ROM, then having to make a few tweaks and load again. Part of that was my own pickiness though.

Sorry for writing a book here, but I hope this helps a few of you!

#31 2 years ago

Thanks for putting this together Jediturtle! I used to update my game this afternoon and it has completely transformed this game!

I enjoyed the game before making these changes, but I couldn't put my finger on what was missing or just keeping the game from being really fun...it's the Music. Thank you Olivier for making this tool.

Here is what I changed for music.
Cruisin': Left the same
Rally Race: Bang the Drum All Day
Gear Shift multi, Drag Race multi, game over: Should I Stay or Should I Go
Drag Race: All Along the Watchtower
Police Pursuit: Slow Ride
Stunt Driver: Takin' Care of Business
Road Course: Radar Love
Drift: Hold On I'm Coming
Silverball Stampede: Left the same
Burnout Multiball: Soul Man
Mustang Multiball Ready: Kickstart My Heart
Mustang Multiball: Kickstart My Heart
Mystery Car / Upgrade: Life in the Fast Lane

#32 2 years ago

Unfortunately I have no idea how to do this or either do the kids.
Although next month is another father's day. humm

Anyway I love the pin as is and think the drift mode with the buxom girls encouraging you style points is worth its weight in gold .

1 year later
#33 10 months ago

I just recently picked up a Mustang Pro. This is the single best modification I've ever made to a game. It completely transforms the game for me. jediturtle the request list put together is nearly perfect. The only other change is requests 40-43 do not automatically populate from request 39.

I went with a primarily 90's theme with some deeper references to the 70s and 80s car movies I grew up watching.

Mustang Sound Requests (resized).jpg

#34 10 months ago

Some videos playing my song changes. Custom songs really take this game to the next level. Not only changing the main mode and multiball songs, but changing the "in between" music when not in a mode really sets the mood with the right music. Guitar solos and instrumental sections of songs work best for those in my opinion.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/J8e97uczdVAFYu5e2
https://photos.app.goo.gl/cOK4ojKFOFSVie6B3
https://photos.app.goo.gl/cvBNG6hXxQ046bM42

Link to my software update containing these songs:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jeiep7f3abxdnbo/mustang18.bin?dl=0

#35 10 months ago

I have a le. What is the best song mix someone has done? These pro versions look great. Also wish the color dmd would hurry up.

#36 10 months ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

... wish the color dmd would hurry up.

+1

#37 9 months ago

My latest Pro playlist can be downloaded if you want to check it out:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/go6dzpaxdxxsv6w/mustang21.bin?dl=0

Cruisn' > 2:49 Panama, Van Halen

Rally Race > Kickstart My Heart, Motley Crue

-DRAG RACE (Drag Race Multiball) > Shoot to Thrill, ACDC
-DRAG RACE Short intro > > ACDC Shoot to Thrill

Police Pursuit 1 51s> California Love, NWA
Police Pursuit 2 - 1m30s > Outta Get Me, Guns N Roses

Road Race - 54s 542ms - Hash Pipe, Weezer

Stunt Driver 55s > Nth Degree, Morningwood (Was ZZ Top's Tush in my prior version)

Background Modes/Music:
REQ 38: (Gear Shift MB, game over) - 1:19 > Bad to the Bone sax solo
REQ 58 35s 386ms Drag Race Multiball - Bad to the Bone sax solo
Also plays during game over

REQ 52: Drift Mode - 53s > ZZ Top, Sharp Dressed Man

REQ 53: Burnout Multiball - 37s 149ms > Free Bird, Lynyrd Skynryd

REQ 54: Silverball Stampede - 52s > Quiet Riot, Metal Health

Req 61: 58s - Mustang MB lit - Loverboy, Working for the weekend

Req 75: 35s - MUSTANG MB > Led Zeppelin, Immigrant Song
Also plays during entering name for high score

44s 305ms - Upgrade lit, will play when an upgrade is available and you hit the ramp into the bowl - Ratt, Round & Round
Full 44s of the song plays during Upgrade Scoring and Upgrade MB

Music, no vocals, played in between modes and in the ball launcher:
24s 751ms - Great White, Once Bitten Twice shy
44s 289ms - Stevie Ray Vaughn, Crossfire
35s 999ms - Queen, Brighton Rock
24s 000ms - Heart, Barracuda
13s 712ms - Jane's Addiction, Been Caught Stealing

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Newton, NJ
$ 16.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
$ 239.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside