(Topic ID: 92818)

Mustang leads me to Escape From the Lost World…(proto?)

By Archer600

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

diy-woodwork-tool-curse-saw-sawing-mfln396l.jpg.png
IMG_20140604_124040.jpg
IMG_20140413_111647-929.jpg
IMG_20140413_103350-840.jpg
IMG_20140413_110613-837.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Thought I’d share this interesting story.

Last month I had to take my truck in for an oil change at the ford dealership, and while waiting around for it to be done I walked around the showroom and sat down to chat with the sales manager. Knowing that he is a mustang guy, and also considering the fact that they have several special editions mustangs on their showroom floor, I had asked if he had ever heard of the brand new mustang pinball Machine. I mentioned it would be something cool to have on the showroom floor, for promotional use of course . (In my mind knowing that it would be the only way to get the chance to play one without having to purchase it myself)

He hadn’t heard of it. But seemed intrigued by the idea and thought it would be cool item after I described some of the features.

After mentioning my hobby and offering my services for the cleaning and repair of the machine for when they required, he stated that he had owned a few older coin-operated arcade games in the past but has since sold them. However he then went on to mention that he has had a pinball machine for the past seven years and it just as of recently has been giving him some trouble. I mentioned I could fix the issue for him however he just wanted the extra space in his basement and asked if I would be interested in it for a fair price.

Of course! So I arranged a time the next day and went and picked it up. Upon arrival I saw Bally’s Escape From the Lost World in pretty good condition despite the age. He showed me the issue it was having and it turned out that a simple switch needed to be replaced that was causing the coil to fire 10 times and display the error message freezing the game. I once again offered to do the simple fix, but instead he rather I hauled it out.

So once I got it back in the warehouse I was able to check it out a bit further, and I could use the pinside community’s help in determining what I’ve found…

The manual from inside the cabinet show the words “PRELIMINARY”….However does anyone know if there was any differences in artwork or parts between prototypes and production models for this title? I suppose I could always compare to a regular manual to see if there are any differences…

The cabinet also has a large hole in the bottom, cleanly cut and closer to the head which looks like there could have been initial intent for a speaker? If not I have no idea why it’s there?

Oh and by the way, over one month later still no mustang pinball in the ford dealership….darn.

IMG_20140413_103350-840.jpgIMG_20140413_103350-840.jpg
IMG_20140413_110613-837.jpgIMG_20140413_110613-837.jpg
IMG_20140413_111647-929.jpgIMG_20140413_111647-929.jpg

#2 9 years ago

Such a strange game...feels very similar to Blackwater for some reason to me. I only played it a couple times at PAPA last year and got double dipped (F@#%ed) on it last league night but I took time to learn it afterwards. Def a fun game and very unique. ENJOY!!!

#3 9 years ago

Thanks! Can't say I've played another pinball quite like it. However it's a nice change of pace every now and then, plus it will look great placed next to Jurassic Park.

#4 9 years ago

I've always wanted one of these, they look so cool.

#5 9 years ago

My first game. Ahhh!

#6 9 years ago

I had one. I think all the manuals are stamped preliminary. I'm not familiar with any game/art specific differences if there are any actual prototypes out there.

Can't say about this "hole"...pretty sure there was a cabinet speaker in the one I had. Post some pics of the inside of the cabinet on this please.

#7 9 years ago

Nice score! Pretty sure that upper playfield crossover bridge was clear (yours is brown) on the games I have played.

#8 9 years ago

A lot of manuals from that era were marked like that. Long story short, and I know we'll all be shocked by this, but the code usually wasn't complete when they started shipping, so they had to base the manual on early code with features that might change. Viola, preliminary stamped on the manuals.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from michiganpinball:

Nice score! Pretty sure that upper playfield crossover bridge was clear (yours is brown) on the games I have played.

I've never seen a clear bridge...and it's not brown, it's gold. The bridge was documented as "The Bridge of Gold" skill shot in the manuals and flyers.

#10 9 years ago

Cool story and fun game! I've got the extra speaker hole too, and can't notice anything different between yours & mine by the pictures. You've got the printed playfield glass too, which is nice.

Mine was a ridiculously cheap rummage sale find that started by overhearing "pinball machine in the basement". It needed an opto fixed in the ball trough, cleaning and a manual. I've had it probably 8 years and it's been super reliable. The upper playfield is hinged so you can get under it for cleaning.

Pretty basic game... Build the collect treasure escape shot, drop the targets to open it for about 20 seconds, and make the shot for big points. Not as easy as it sounds, and that's the fun of it. The multi-ball is worthless other than giving you an extra ball to bat around. Fun jungle sounds and Kids really love the game.

#11 9 years ago

Thanks for the input everyone! I suppose it's very possible that a lot of the manuals may have been printed this way. I looked at the serial number on the cabinet and from what I can tell is nothing special (#1256).

Quoted from wayout440:

Can't say about this "hole"...pretty sure there was a cabinet speaker in the one I had. Post some pics of the inside of the cabinet on this please.

I will grab a picture of the extra hole in the bottom of the cabinet and post tomorrow. To be clear there is a speaker in the bottom of the cabinet. This is a second hole ~6 inches in diameter that's nicely cut in the bottom of the cab but further towards the back.

Quoted from tullster:

I've got the extra speaker hole too

Odd why this would be intended for a game that was designed to make money on location... You'd just have to cover over it first I suppose.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from Archer600:

Thanks for the input everyone! I suppose it's very possible that a lot of the manuals may have been printed this way. I looked at the serial number on the cabinet and from what I can tell is nothing special (#1256).

I will grab a picture of the extra hole in the bottom of the cabinet and post tomorrow. To be clear there is a speaker in the bottom of the cabinet. This is a second hole ~6 inches in diameter that's nicely cut in the bottom of the cab but further towards the back.

Odd why this would be intended for a game that was designed to make money on location... You'd just have to cover over it first I suppose.

The only other theory I can suggest for the extra hole: An intentional "Bass - Reflex" design, perhaps? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bass_reflex

#13 9 years ago

Mine also has the extra hole that was cut and blocked out.

Would anyone have a decent left side ramp or the clear center ball guide plastic under the upper playfield. My left ramp is busted and warped making the game unplayable. And the clear plastic ball guide under the upper playfield is busted out from direct ball hits at the start of the turn...

When I had it working, it was a very fun game except for the ball kept getting stuck on the left ramp where it was warped...

Improper storage in the Texas heat before I got it did alot of damage to ramps... Got the game for a very fair price at the auction and plan to hang onto it. I managed to find a better upper playfield ramp already.

-- Shawn

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

The only other theory I can suggest for the extra hole: An intentional "Bass - Reflex" design, perhaps? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bass_reflex

A pinball cab isn't air tight so putting in more holes wouldn't accomplish anything.

#15 9 years ago

The Gottlieb Mars God of War pinball I had used two separate speakers in the cabinet bottom. One for the background sounds, and one for the voice. Perhaps this was the intended for this Bally game at the start of this design, but switched later on?

#16 9 years ago

Usually when you got a game back then with a preliminary manual, you would also get a mail in card to receive the final manual once it was completed.

I still have cards from games like F14 and Funhouse.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from Anth:

A pinball cab isn't air tight so putting in more holes wouldn't accomplish anything.

I know it isn't airtight. But it is, for the most part, still a closed box, equipped with a low power amp, a small woofer. You would hear some of the back waves coming out of a second hole in the box, no doubt. When I open the coin door on my games I hear the sound spilling out...dramatically louder. Usually I have to close the coin door, listen again, and readjust the volume.

Any other explanations for the hole? If I saw a picture, might be able to suggest from the dimensions if it was put there for a speaker, perhaps a mistake, a cab intended for another game or something along those lines.

#18 9 years ago

Great story, cool game!
Congrats on the accidental pickup!

#19 9 years ago

Great pick up!!
One of my first games and will always be a favorite. Need to find another.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Any other explanations for the hole?

Pinball cabs are just made of junk.

You always see scraps of other games cut up and used as braces.

You even see things like brick pattern MDF used as bottom panels.

At the time Bally was making EFTLW they had cheapened the cabs up to the point of using particle board instead of plywood and T-molding rather than joinery. If CCC said "hey we've got a bunch of miscut bottom panels, if you allow us to use those, we can save you $1 a cab", I'm sure Bally said that was a great idea.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from Archer600:

The Gottlieb Mars God of War pinball I had used two separate speakers in the cabinet bottom. One for the background sounds, and one for the voice. Perhaps this was the intended for this Bally game at the start of this design, but switched later on?

Not that it really even matters, but I think something like this mixed with a little of what Vid suggested is the most reasonable assumption. Surplus parts from another game and/or a vestige from a design change.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from Anth:

Not that it really even matters, but I think something like this mixed with a little of what Vid suggested is the most reasonable assumption. Surplus parts from another game and/or a vestige from a design change.

I just can't remember if mine had a hole there or not. I think if it did, I would probably remember it. Cabinet was heavy as hell on that game. It's a strange game - but I thought it fun. Just didn't catch on with the ol' lady so much.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Cabinet was heavy as hell on that game.

Using crappy MDF doubles the weight over plywood.

#24 9 years ago

That grey shaded area on the left side of the playfield glass does not look familiar. Am I seeing a shadow or something?

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Pinball cabs are just made of junk.
You always see scraps of other games cut up and used as braces.
You even see things like brick pattern MDF used as bottom panels.
At the time Bally was making EFTLW they had cheapened the cabs up to the point of using particle board instead of plywood and T-molding rather than joinery. If CCC said "hey we've got a bunch of miscut bottom panels, if you allow us to use those, we can save you $1 a cab", I'm sure Bally said that was a great idea.

Inside my Special Force you can see artwork from atleast one other game where they reused cabinet wood.

#26 9 years ago

So here is a picture of the bottom of the cabinet. Guesses!?

IMG_20140604_124040.jpgIMG_20140604_124040.jpg

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

That grey shaded area on the left side of the playfield glass does not look familiar. Am I seeing a Shadow or something?

That's just the reflection of the overhead door in the glass.

#28 9 years ago

diy-woodwork-tool-curse-saw-sawing-mfln396l.jpg.pngdiy-woodwork-tool-curse-saw-sawing-mfln396l.jpg.png

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Trade
Machine - For Trade
New Cumberland, PA
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Wichita, KS
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mustang-leads-me-to-escape-from-the-lost-world%e2%80%a6proto and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.