(Topic ID: 85003)

Mustang is a BLAST and your opinion is invalid if you have never played one!

By Jared

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 152 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by sepins
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ltess0118.jpg
1966NYorker1802.jpg
$(KGrHqFHJEgE92!f41LtBPjGNN(eb!~~60_12.JPG
photo (19).JPG
Wagon9.jpg
image-350.jpg
truckster-660.jpg
th[3].jpg
2002-pontiac-aztek-awd-pic-25101[1].jpg
image.jpg
Heisenberg Aztek-29.jpg
Heisenberg.jpg
stern-mustang-topper.jpg
vpt99-01a.jpg
-no-foreign-vehicles-allowed-in-this-lot-sign.jpg
uaw.jpg
There are 152 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 10 years ago

Xerico and myself headed up to FUN! to play MUSTANG. Took a video of us HORSING AROUND and here it is. I am the first player and Marcus is 2nd.

No, I'm not big into the theme. I own a ridiculously modified Chevy Camaro and would croak before I willingly purchased a ford product. However, as a pinhead, I have to say THIS GAME IS FUN!!!

The loop is brutal fast, the actuating multilevel ramp is awesome, 4 pop bumpers is a blast and the drop targets make the game brutal and deadly! The cointaker lights look outstanding, and the overall package is beautiful. This is a great looking machine.

It's not on my list of to owns because of the ford theme, but anyone calling this machine lame, boring, dumb or a reversion is off their rockers. You can't assess a pinball machine properly from a photograph!

Stern Mustang rocks. Get out there and play one!

#2 10 years ago

Shhhh! Keep it down! I want this game to not be so popular so it'll drop in price enough for me to justify buying one! If it's a fun game, that ain't gonna happen!

#3 10 years ago

That 16 second wait from hitting the scoop to start cruisin looked AWSOME!

#4 10 years ago

I don't get the weird car brand loyalty. Okay, so you have a Chevy, you can't buy a pin with a Ford logo??? I drive a BMW, does that mean I can only get a pin with Euro cars on it? I mean, it's one thing for the cars you buy, I prefer how my car drives, but this isn't KITT, it won't scold me when I open the garage and the pins in there don't have roundels on them.

#5 10 years ago

My problem with the Mustang pin is not theme or game play, (because I have not played it) Its the playfield art. I don't care for the playfield art.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I don't get the weird car brand loyalty.

You see it a lot with the Big 3 auto employees .

You can only park in the good lot at Ford if you drive a Ford.

The next closest lot is for other American cars.

The farthest lot (and I mean FAR), is for Japanese or other foreign cars.

vpt99-01a.jpgvpt99-01a.jpg

-no-foreign-vehicles-allowed-in-this-lot-sign.jpg-no-foreign-vehicles-allowed-in-this-lot-sign.jpg
uaw.jpguaw.jpg

#7 10 years ago

meh

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Okay, so you have a Chevy, you can't buy a pin with a Ford logo???

Yes

Quoted from Aurich:

I drive a BMW, does that mean I can only get a pin with Euro cars on it?

Yes - and good luck with that search!

Quoted from Aurich:

but this isn't KITT

If your car was KITT I can bet that BMW would be gone in a second! Nothing speaks coolness like an 82' Trans Am that can talk.

Honestly don't know what it is with brand loyalty and cars. My family is big time Ford and it's always been that way. Not sure how I broke outta that but I've always been a GM guy (but I have owned 1 Mustang and a Maverick).

As for this pin, I'll definitely want to play it before passing judgement, but being a life long car guy it definitely might be something we'd get for our collection.

#9 10 years ago

I have no intention of playing or owning Mustang pinball.I also have no intention of playing or owning a Family Guy pinball. I think the show is ridiculous. I know the pin was pretty popular. Everyone is entitled an opinion, you can't say that my opinion is invalid or that nobody's opinion counts unless it agrees with yours. Sorry, but I just won't play a pin with a crappy theme I don't like. That includes "Dolly Parton".

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Everyone is entitled an opinion, you can't say that my opinion is invalid or that nobody's opinion counts unless it agrees with yours.

Thank you internet for this sage advise.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I drive a BMW

I knew I liked you for some reason

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You see it a lot with the Big 3 auto employees .
You can only park in the good lot at Ford if you drive a Ford.
The next closest lot is for other American cars.
The farthest lot (and I mean FAR), is for Japanese or other foreign cars.

uaw.jpg 15 KB

-no-foreign-vehicles-allowed-in-... 21 KB

vpt99-01a.jpg 26 KB

Ironically not every vehicle thought of as "American" is even made in the USA. Many Chevy Suburbans and trucks are made in Mexico and Canada. The VIN tells the story.

#13 10 years ago

try filming in landscape orientation next time.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

I have no intention of playing or owning Mustang pinball.I also have no intention of playing or owning a Family Guy pinball. I think the show is ridiculous. I know the pin was pretty popular. Everyone is entitled an opinion, you can't say that my opinion is invalid or that nobody's opinion counts unless it agrees with yours. Sorry, but I just won't play a pin with a crappy theme I don't like. That includes "Dolly Parton".

well that settles it then!

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

try filming in landscape orientation next time.

#16 10 years ago

Mustang is going to rock!

#17 10 years ago

Looking forward to sydney mustang launch party on Sunday at coogee Bay hotel. New pinball, Yay! Who cares what it is. New pinball is good pinball!

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Looking forward to sydney mustang launch party on Sunday at coogee Bay hotel. New pinball, Yay! Who cares what it is. New pinball is good pinball!

I agree, I think it looks pretty cool, and its different, that's a good thing!

#19 10 years ago

I'm digging the pro. Just got it and so far my rating is 8 / 10. It's a great game to practice live catching and other moves. Code seems decent for an early release. I got the 6 ball going and it was a blast. Mustang multi ball is started from the scoop.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

Ironically not every vehicle thought of as "American" is even made in the USA. Many Chevy Suburbans and trucks are made in Mexico and Canada. The VIN tells the story.

Shhhhh, don't go getting their car towed away.

#21 10 years ago

Ford can suck my nards. I had a Sable that broke down so much I renamed it the Disable.

This game isn't for me.

#22 10 years ago

My first pinball machine purchase was a Bally Corvette . I did not know jack about pinball .I drove to The Colorado Game Exchange in Denver. Now called The Game Exchange of Colorado. I played the machine and realized you could collect a corvette by winning a drag race against the pinball machine by completing shots I was hooked. Talk about cool toys on a pinball. Then there was the main toy the engine block. The LT5 collect jackpots and the engine would shake back and fourth. And roared . Awesome....... Then there is the CATCH ME Mode . In this mode you race to catch one of five Bally CATCH ME girls. This was Gomez first Design . And There was a female sexy voice the would speak French. The Pinball machine was just suave and cool. Bought it on the spot. By the video of STERN Mustang I am just not seeing the "IT' factor. But I do like the Tunes that I heard. It will be hard to beat Bally's 1994 Corvette. The Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown is in April and MARCO will be bringing Mustang to the show. Will see how it plays . Just reminiscing about Bally's Corvette make me want to buy it back.

#23 10 years ago

Lots of stop-and-go... looks like the ball sits while modes start.

I like the music. Shame the game is probably in MONAURAL.. but I guess it makes sense when the game is about vintage cars... although I think even in 1965 they had STEREO.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

I like the music. Shame the game is probably in MONAURAL.. but I guess it makes sense when the game is about vintage cars... although I think even in 1965 they had STEREO.

Yes yes, now go rock out to that "Follow the yellow brick road" loop in glorious Stereo.....

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

New pins should have stereo. It can not add that much more to the cost of making a pin. Not like monaural as you wrote. Even if the speakers are not very far apart. Why not get a sound company involved. Infinity, Bose, Altec Lansing, just to name a few.

Trivia info below.
The first FM stereo broadcast in the USA was in 1961.
1965 Mustang, as an option AM/FM radio, not stereo.
1966 Mustang, as an option AM/8 Track, only the tape was stereo. AM/FM no stereo.
1967 Mustang, AM/8 Track again the tape was stereo, and the AM/FM Stereo

Since 1965 there was a Studiosonic Sound system, dealer installed. Basically a reverb system that the dealer added a rear speaker which created an echo effect in your Hardtop Mustang.

#27 10 years ago

I've played a total of 4 games with 3 different 4 player groups. I refuse to judge a machine until the code is at least mostly done. There are a few things obviously missing animation wise and mode wise in the game. That's not always a bad thing either. Great games take more time than programmers/designers are given by the manufacturer writing the paychecks. I will wait until I feel the game is complete to pass any judgements on how well it performs/plays.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

New pins should have stereo. It can not add that much more to the cost of making a pin. Not like monaural as you wrote. Even if the speakers are not very far apart. Why not get a sound company involved. Infinity, Bose, Altec Lansing, just to name a few.

Stereo files take double the storage space of mono files. When SAM was created that was probably a design consideration, memory wasn't nearly as cheap back then. So it wasn't designed to do stereo.

Now that memory is inexpensive the question is will SAM's successor (possibly on the next Stern) have stereo? I think you'd rightly be critical if it didn't, but SAM is old, cut it some slack.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

(...) And There was a female sexy voice the would speak French.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I don't get the weird car brand loyalty. Okay, so you have a Chevy, you can't buy a pin with a Ford logo??? I drive a BMW, does that mean I can only get a pin with Euro cars on it? I mean, it's one thing for the cars you buy, I prefer how my car drives, but this isn't KITT, it won't scold me when I open the garage and the pins in there don't have roundels on them.

The brand loyalty thing is specifically a deal for domestic performance car owners. As for me specifically, I actually have sponsors/branding that I do that dictates some of my public actions. Thankfully these do not extend into my home, but if someone were to come over to my house and photograph a Ford Mustang Pinball machine in my home... lets just say that there would be hell to pay. I could elaborate if you were interested.

Quoted from wayout440:

Everyone is entitled an opinion, you can't say that my opinion is invalid or that nobody's opinion counts unless it agrees with yours. Sorry, but I just won't play a pin with a crappy theme I don't like. That includes "Dolly Parton".

Sorry bud, but you are wrong. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but people are not entitled to a crappy, baseless opinion made solely on photographic observation. No, you are not.

Until you play the machine with your own bare hands, then your opinion of it is 100% pointless, hearsay, hyperbole, poppycock, rubbernecking, sidejockying, benchwarming, speculation bologna.

Now then, if you play it in person yourself... and THEN you come up with an opinion... by all means man... say it loud and proud! And HECK NO you do not have to agree with me! This is America! Think what you want to think!!! Just make sure you do the appropriate research before announcing your findings.

Saying that your research leads you to determine that Stern Mustang Pinball is lame, but in the same breath admitting that you have in fact never seen or touched one in real life, is absolutely hilarious. You and people like you need to think about this kind of computer chair judging.

I am not saying you have to like... im saying you have to play it yourself to have a valid opinion of it.

And thats not wrong, thats a fact jack.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I don't get the weird car brand loyalty

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

The brand loyalty thing is specifically a deal for domestic performance car owners. As for me specifically, I actually have sponsors/branding that I do that dictates some of my public actions. Thankfully these do not extend into my home, but if someone were to come over to my house and photograph a Ford Mustang Pinball machine in my home... lets just say that there would be hell to pay. I could elaborate if you were interested.

Sorry bud, but you are wrong. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but people are not entitled to a crappy, baseless opinion made solely on photographic observation. No, you are not.
Until you play the machine with your own bare hands, then your opinion of it is 100% pointless, hearsay, hyperbole, poppycock, rubbernecking, sidejockying, benchwarming, speculation bologna.
Now then, if you play it in person yourself... and THEN you come up with an opinion... by all means man... say it loud and proud! And HECK NO you do not have to agree with me! This is America! Think what you want to think!!! Just make sure you do the appropriate research before announcing your findings.
Saying that your research leads you to determine that Stern Mustang Pinball is lame, but in the same breath admitting that you have in fact never seen or touched one in real life, is absolutely hilarious. You and people like you need to think about this kind of computer chair judging.
I am not saying you have to like... im saying you have to play it yourself to have a valid opinion of it.

Well I played TMNT and it sucks. I played Bally's Corvette and it sucked. I heard Vanilla Ice and he sucks and his only hit was a blatant rip off of Under Pressure. It's no wonder Suge Knight held him upside down over a balcony until he paid up. Looking forward to playing Mustang. I hope it doesn't suck.

#33 10 years ago

Never seen that Corvette pinball video, now that's pretty cool!

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but people are not entitled to a crappy, baseless opinion made solely on photographic observation. No, you are not.

Remember the Pontiac Aztek? I never had to go beyond a quick look at a picture to come to the conclusion that I could go right ahead and never buy one of those.

If a picture is worth a thousand words, the defenders better come out verbally swingin'! The reality of the world is that people judge things quickly. If I put a webpage with pictures of 50 women in thumbnail format, you'd know within about 1 second which one was your favorite without studying any individual one carefully. You might miss a really great person based on quick judgments. It's the way our brains work. *shrug*

p.s. I don't really care if this one is good or not, but if it turns out to be fun, then I'm glad the buyers will enjoy it. I still think it looks cheesy. I think my Harley Davidson machine looks really cheesy too but I own that. Take from that what you will. I own some questionable looking games, but they're fun.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Well I played TMNT and it sucks. I played Bally's Corvette and it sucked. I heard Vanilla Ice and he sucks and his only hit was a blatant rip off of Under Pressure. It's no wonder Suge Knight held him upside down over a balcony until he paid up. Looking forward to playing Mustang. I hope it doesn't suck.

You insult Vanilla Ice and the TMNT in a single paragraph. Wow, you really know how to get on my good side!

At least you listen/play things before developing an opinion. Thats the way to do it.

I dont agree with your opinions, but I do agree with how you formed them. Good for you.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from SteveP3:

Remember the Pontiac Aztek? I never had to go beyond a quick look at a picture to come to the conclusion that I could go right ahead and never buy one of those.

This point is so well made I felt my face swell up from being slapped through the screen. #pwn3d

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

This point is so well made I felt my face swell up from being slapped through the screen. #pwn3d

haha

I edited my other post with some other thoughts - if people like this one, that's fine with me! I have plenty of ugly crap I love.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

You insult Vanilla Ice and the TMNT in a single paragraph. Wow, you really know how to get on my good side!
At least you listen/play things before developing an opinion. Thats the way to do it.
I dont agree with your opinions, but I do agree with how you formed them. Good for you.

Just to make it clear, I think the TMNT concept and arcade game were groundbreaking. The pin was disappointing. And I thought Vanilla Ice was great in that celebrity boxing show. Man, did Willis kick his ass.

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

I don't have to have open heart surgery to form my opinion that going through it sucks. I also know by looking at art on the wall if I like it or not. I don't have to paint it - I can just look at it and say I hate it - and it's MY valid opinion... so there

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Just to make it clear, I think the TMNT concept and arcade game were groundbreaking. The pin was disappointing. And I thought Vanilla Ice was great in that celebrity boxing show. Man, did Willis kick his ass.

The arcade game is actually worse than the pin IMHO. Of course it would be by default because it is not a pin. If you play TMNT video game on free play you realize like most games from the era it's only a matter of time before you beat the game, and its not hard to do the first time you play it with unlimited quarters.

TMNT pinball could be awesome, if someone would rewrite the rules. The only thing I don't like about it is the rules.

#41 10 years ago

Well, I don't like Poker, I find WPT artwork questionable, callouts are bad... and this is still one of my favorite pins!

So there is hope for Mustang (a theme I don't care about, horrible callouts and cheesy PF artwork): might still be a good pin. Looks fast as hell. Will probably to wait at least 6 months until I find one nearby on location.

#42 10 years ago

Mustang is a good pin. I own a pro and give it a B plus. I recommend that people seek it out and play it.

The sound is amazing and good straight from the factory. Tonight, I will be adding a subwoofer and shaker to it.

#43 10 years ago

We can all agree that someone coming on Pinside and trying to 1) shove their opinion down everyone's throat, and 2) telling everyone on Pinside that if they do not agree with you they are worthless and so is their opinion, is never a good idea. YMMV

Let me ask...was it brutal ? LOL

Theme for me is still a "meh" on this one.

I have never played a pinball machine I did not enjoy, unless it was broken. Mustang will be no exception. Also also the BOM is disappointing compared to STLE. I hate going backwards and STLE has all those color changing lights that can be used for so much cool stuff, Mustang feels like a step back with only 8 of them.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from SteveP3:

Hey man, don't go dissin' the Aztek.

Great, great vehicle, with tons of room and go-through-anything all wheel drive. My step-son still has ours going strong at 175k miles...

Later,
EV
(self-confessed Pontiac man....the Aztek was #6 of the 7 that I've owned)

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You got that right. I'm not a car snob, I like all cars that are tastefully done and FAST! Back in '72 I almost sold the Mustang for a '70-1/2 Z28...couldn't get insurance for it, to young.

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Ford can suck my nards. I had a Sable that broke down so much I renamed it the Disable.
This game isn't for me.

Because of one car from 20 some years ago you dismiss a new pin without even playing it?

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

My first pinball machine purchase was a Bally Corvette . I did not know jack about pinball .I drove to The Colorado Game Exchange in Denver. Now called The Game Exchange of Colorado. I played the machine and realized you could collect a Corvette by winning a drag race against the pinball machine by completing shots I was hooked. Talk about cool toys on a pinball. Then there was the main toy the engine block. The LT5 collect jackpots and the engine would shake back and fourth. And roared . Awesome....... Then there is the CATCH ME Mode . In this mode you race to catch one of five Bally CATCH ME girls. This was Gomez first Design . And There was a female sexy voice the would speak French. The Pinball machine was just suave and cool. Bought it on the spot. By the video of STERN Mustang I am just not seeing the "IT' factor. But I do like the Tunes that I heard. It will be hard to beat Bally's 1994 Corvette. The Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown is in April and MARCO will be bringing Mustang to the show. Will see how it plays . Just reminiscing about Bally's Corvette make me want to buy it back. » YouTube video

Corvette is a way cool pin.

#48 10 years ago

Rommy nails it. It's not really that the game sucks it's that at this point a game has to be amazing for most of us to care. It's saturation...

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I drive a BMW, does that mean I can only get a pin with Euro cars on it?

Quoted from Buckman:

YES - and good luck with that search!

No Problem! We've got Dutch Pinball (TBL, BoP 2.0), Pinnovating (The Matrix) and Pinball-Dreams (Penthouse, INSM) over here in Europe - we'll reskin your Mustang pin to BMW in no time....

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yes yes, now go rock out to that "Follow the yellow brick road" loop in glorious Stereo.....

WOZ's sound system kicks ass.. The sound clips are stored in 44.1khz WAV format. Uncompressed CD quality. There's probably more data just for audio in WOZ than if you took all the program code for every Stern machine ever made and added it up.

I don't know why you want to defend that 1950s-era sound technology. I'm sure if Stern did improve their audio, you'd be raving about it.

I'm not dissing Stern. I'm just saying if you're going to pay $6+ grand for some electronic equipment that plays rock music, it's not unreasonable to expect it to play the music the way it was originally played/recorded. And if Stern finally does update their system, you all will love it, and it won't be because you all thought there was nothing wrong with mega-compressed single-channel audio.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 152 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mustang-is-a-blast-and-your-opinion-is-invalid-if-you-have-never-played-one and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.