You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20150929_233612.jpg
20150929_2335470.jpg
20150929_233606.jpg
#1 8 years ago

So I'm having issues with vertical lines through the DMD on my Mustang. I've reached out to Stern tech support and they say its a display board issue. Warranty is only 9 months so they won't replace it but will fix it through the local distributor for a flat fee.

Has anyone else had this issue with Mustang or any other Stern DMD for that matter and know what the fix would be? Is it easy enough for the owner to do or do you need to go through the distributor?

20150929_233606.jpg20150929_233606.jpg
20150929_2335470.jpg20150929_2335470.jpg
20150929_233612.jpg20150929_233612.jpg

#2 8 years ago

Anyone that repairs boards can repair it since it is out of warranty. You can check to see what cost the distributor can have it repaired for.

Try this one.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-stern-led-dmd-repairs#post-2708844

#3 8 years ago

Although not identical, I had issues with my Mustang DMD as well. Starburst sent me three DMDs to swap out, same problem (lines would go out along the top of the DMD). Finally sent their tech to me, he didn't really do much of anything, other than swap out the ribbon cable. Problem still persisted. I contacted SB again and said, if it isn't the DMD and it isn't the cable...it's gotta be the board.

Last week they sent me another replacement cable, DMD and board. All works fine now.

#4 8 years ago

Seen this on many Stern LED DMD's, our KISS-LE had it right out of the box.

The missing "dot" is the Diode in that LED Row that is shorted out locking the rest of that LED Row on.

I'd still bug Stern to see if they will cover it, you never know.

If that doesn't work go with the link above, he sounded pretty reasonable.

Kim

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from Pin_-_K:

Seen this on many Stern LED DMD's, our KISS-LE had it right out of the box.
The missing "dot" is the Diode in that LED Row that is shorted out locking the rest of that LED Row on.
I'd still bug Stern to see if they will cover it, you never know.
If that doesn't work go with the link above, he sounded pretty reasonable.
Kim

By Row, do you mean Column; it looks like I have two columns locked on.

Neither Stern nor the distributor will cover it because its more than a year old. Is this something you can check with a multimeter and fix it yourself? Shipping and repair is going to run a few bucks.

#6 8 years ago

Did they say how much the flat fee is?

#7 8 years ago

1 hour labour, probably $100 plus an $8 part. But don't forget, I'm Dutch!

1 week later
#8 8 years ago

A third line has now gone out. I'm not sure what to do now. If I repair it and more lines go out I'm screwed that amount of money. If I leave it I have one year old games with a screwed up display, that could get worse.

#9 8 years ago

Yep common issue. If your distributor sends you another display it will be one that was returned and repaired. They make you send your bad display in and then they repair that to send to someone else that has the same issue as a replacement.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-red-led-dmd-anyone-have-issues

#10 8 years ago

I would wait for a for sale, you see plenty of people selling these DMD's as they go with color. Price is typically $100 plus shipping for the right deal. The displays are total crap I have had many of them go out and don't have that many stern games.

#11 8 years ago

Personally, I would sell the LED DMD display and install a ColorDMD. But hey, that's just me.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Personally, I would sell the LED DMD display and install a ColorDMD. But hey, that's just me.

Yup that's what I'd do too.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mustang-dmd-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.