(Topic ID: 35985)

Must have tool, meet "Mr T"

By Pinballmike217

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    stool.jpg
    step.jpg
    P1010022.JPG
    P1010021.JPG
    b_(3).JPG
    b_(4).JPG
    There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 11 years ago

I used to use horses, now I have a harbor freight lift table.

#52 11 years ago

I use a pinball cart at home but I always have this in the truck. When folded down it is perfect to lift the back onto

Safco 4061

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#53 11 years ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

If it had a Pinball Life logo on it and was covered in black tolex and was $50 would it be better?

No, but if it had a bunch of crappy action figures glued to it you might just peak my interest sir

#54 11 years ago

I use my knee, but this looks ok enough, I think I'd add a couple of diagonal supports though at the join, and use it with the T part on the floor to spread the load on the underside of the pin.

#55 11 years ago

2x4's can handle over 600 lbs vertically, so I am sure he is fine.

#56 11 years ago
    Quoted from BoJo:

2x4's can handle over 600 lbs vertically, so I am sure he is fine.

Yea, I don't see weight as being an issue. My only concern would be side to side movement...if the machine got bumped, the verticle piece might want to lean over. Screws don't grip as well in the end grain as well as they do across the grain...they may pull out. Maybe add short gusset on either side of the joint for stability?

My 2 cents...

#57 11 years ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

Just because it's cheap doesn't mean it doesn't work. If it had a Pinball Life logo on it and was covered in black tolex and was $50 would it be better?

Absolutely. Pinball life is awesome!

#58 11 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

The Wico Pinball Dolly works so much better.

I drive by 6400 Gross Point Rd. in Niles all the time but can't find any pinball stuff at "the house of parts" anymore.....

#59 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pafasa:

I like it! Not as much as I like having a pinball friend with me to help move stuff, but I bet I could staple a pic of Greg to the 2x4 and then I would have him along no matter what!!

Bwaaaaa ha ha, or just call me, I will even talk to you while you are moving all by yourself!

#60 11 years ago
    Quoted from Monster_Bash:

All that weight isolated on 1.5 inches? Yikes...not for me....

Stability could be added just by putting a couple triangle/pieces of wood at the bottom. I use a harbor freight cart, drop it all the way to the floor. Best $150 I ever spent. Like it better than my pincart

#61 11 years ago
    Quoted from browne92:

Yea, I don't see weight as being an issue. My only concern would be side to side movement...if the machine got bumped, the verticle piece might want to lean over. Screws don't grip as well in the end grain as well as they do across the grain...they may pull out. Maybe add short gusset on either side of the joint for stability?
    My 2 cents...

That's what I'd do or double up the vertical 2X4. A single one just doesn't look stable enough. Great, simple idea and I'm sure it would work 99% of the time. The other 1% is the time someone bumps the pin on the side.

A few years ago a couple friends removed a TZ from an SUV and set it on a couple metal saw horses with the legs that fold up for storage. Weeeeeeeeeeeeell, the legs on one of the horses didn't lock correctly and the TZ came down on top of my buddy's foot, breaking numerous bones. And, of course, it didn't heal correctly after 6 weeks so he ended up having surgury.

#62 11 years ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

Just because it's cheap doesn't mean it doesn't work. If it had a Pinball Life logo on it and was covered in black tolex and was $50 would it be better?

And PL would get a "shout out" for offering such a greta(sic) product. In PL's defense, it would cost $15 or less. Not sure about Marco or Bay Area's price though...

#63 11 years ago

To all the non-carpenters out there; Use wood glue and nails or wood glue and scres. It will be fine. I used to use more scres than necessary and wood joints would still distort. Dad was a carpenter and when I went to him he explained it to me. The glue provides the holding power for the weight. The nails or screws prevent a shock from a drop or blunt force from breaking the bond. If you were to screw in angle brackets or additional wood, you could still experience distortion if you only rely on metal fasteners to hold the joints.

#64 11 years ago

Here's the set up I use

image.jpgimage.jpg

#65 11 years ago

You guys are all way overthinking this. It takes about 30 seconds to screw two legs on or off. Mr T is just an easy way to support the weight for that time if you don't have a helper. This isn't the foundation for a skyscraper. It's just there to take the weight off of your back or knees for the time it takes to remove or install four leg bolts.

#66 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballmike217:

You guys are all way overthinking this. It takes about 30 seconds to screw two legs on or off. Mr T is just an easy way to support the weight for that time if you don't have a helper. This isn't the foundation for a skyscraper. It's just there to take the weight off of your back or knees for the time it takes to remove or install four leg bolts.

Amen

#67 11 years ago

Good idea. I would add a gusset at the joint to strengthen it from side movement.

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/must-have-tool-meet-mr-t/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.