(Topic ID: 35985)

Must have tool, meet "Mr T"

By Pinballmike217

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    stool.jpg
    step.jpg
    P1010022.JPG
    P1010021.JPG
    b_(3).JPG
    b_(4).JPG
    There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

I'm sure most of you have your own method for removing and installing legs. If you can't get an extra set of hands to help you out when your moving machines then you need a "Mr T". My good friend Allan Davidson made one of these years ago and let me copy his design. It's as simple as simple can be but I gaurantee you will use it all the time if you don't have one. Just cut two pieces of a 2" by 4" into a 25 1/2" and a 14" piece. Center the short piece onto the long piece and use one nail to hold the two pieces together. Then shoot two 3" long screws in to finish up. Don't just nail it, it will twist. It must be screwed. Here's pictures:

b_(4).JPGb_(4).JPG b_(3).JPGb_(3).JPG P1010021.JPGP1010021.JPG P1010022.JPGP1010022.JPG

#2 11 years ago

All that weight isolated on 1.5 inches? Yikes...not for me....

#3 11 years ago

Mike I swear, everyone that has ever seen me whip out my wooden dowel to roll pins into cars/trucks thinks its the most ingenious thing ever. Another awesome lifesaver by you.

#4 11 years ago

Has it been patented?

#5 11 years ago

I use a bar stool, although this is cheaper, but a bit "trailer" park...

#6 11 years ago

Nice.

I use something similar - but it is like a roman number II (two vertical pieces of wood instead of one). Maybe a waste of the extra piece of wood, but very stable.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from jhoward1082:

Mike I swear, everyone that has ever seen me whip out my wooden dowel to roll pins into cars/trucks thinks its the most ingenious thing ever. Another awesome lifesaver by you.

A smarter pinhead that myself once tapped me on the shoulder as I was loading a pin into my truck, years back, and handed me a two foot piece of 1/4 inch PVC and told me to stop killing myself. I still have that PVC piece in the bed of my truck.

#8 11 years ago

I either use a stool or my pin lifter to put my legs on if I have nobody around to help. "Mr. T" looks like it could work but it would suck if the weight of the machine got shifted and starts tipping away from you

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

I use a bar stool, although this is cheaper, but a bit "trailer" park...

If it's too trailer park you can stain and poly it. It also fits easily behind the seat in my truck, a bar stool won't.

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from jhoward1082:

That is great i'm stealing that. I have the rino bed liner and nothing even slides on that.

#11 11 years ago

I love it.

I use "Mr. Knee", balancing the pin on my thigh/knee while quickly attaching/detaching legs... or I snag a helper.

I'm building me a Mr T this weekend!

Thanks for the tip!

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from Monster_Bash:

You could turn that "T" into and "I" and spread the weight out a little more.

#13 11 years ago

Bar stool too high, little 2ft. ladder is best. Only caveat is that Sterns don't work as well as they are usually higher (depending on how high leg levers are too). So if you have thick carpet or something, a Stern might need an extra boost.

But I use this all the time.

step.jpgstep.jpg

#14 11 years ago

I use bruce nightingales pinball helper - i will try to find a pic. Best 50 bucks i ever spent.

#15 11 years ago

I pity the fool that don’t got that tool!

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from jhoward1082:

Now THAT'S genius. I never thought of using a wooden dowel. Probably would only work in a truck bed or an SUV with a really flat back though.

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinij93:

You could turn that "T" into and "I" and spread the weight out a little more.

You could but it's not necessary. The footprint is big enough. I've used these for years and have made and given away dozens of them. They work and they don't take up space. Just be careful and use common sense, that's it. The weight of the machine can't shift by itself. If I have to set up a machine alone I usually do a short lift and put the back of the machine on a milk crate, Then straighten my back and lift from the milk crate to "Mr T".

#18 11 years ago

Great idea.

I like the dowel and PVC pipe roller idea, as well.

I once moved one of those wooden play sets (plastic slide, rope swing, kinda like a tree house without the tree) from my neighbors yard to mine using a similar approach. Didn't steal it, they were moving and gave it to us...

Work smarter, not harder!

#19 11 years ago

The stool I use looks like this, PERFECT size..

stool.jpgstool.jpg

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheBaron:

Now THAT'S genius. I never thought of using a wooden dowel. Probably would only work in a truck bed or an SUV with a really flat back though.

Yeah, I've used it with both SUVs and trucks. Probably cost me less than $5 at Lowes.

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from Monster_Bash:

It's a 2X4. Not a problem. Same lumber that your walls are made of. As long as the joint at the "T" is stable, this is plenty strong. And if you're doing 2 legs at a time on the pin you've also got 3 points of contact on the ground. Again very stable. Cheap too!

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from papazit1963:

It's a 2X4. Not a problem. Same lumber that your walls are made of. As long as the joint at the "T" is stable, this is plenty strong. And if you're doing 2 legs at a time on the pin you've also got 3 points of contact on the ground. Again very stable. Cheap too!

I took it as he was worried about the stress on the pinball machine, not the 2x4.

#23 11 years ago

Another good idea. But I definitely would consider putting a little piece of rubber or foam material on the wood where it supports the machine.

#24 11 years ago

Make sure to use long screws with big enough thread to bite into the wood. Like Mike says, do NOT use nails.

If the machine starts to pivot and the vertical member of the T is pushed to the side, nails or weak screws will pull loose due to the leverage applied. Angled supports from the vertical to the horizontal would make this much more stable, but also more difficult to build.

#25 11 years ago

That's gonna work great...until you bump the cab while propped. I have a stool that is the perfect height to set the end about 2" higher than the bottom of the legs. You can custom make your own "stool" with just a bit more work than that.

You can also buy cheap plastic collapsible saw horses that work perfectly. One fellow who bought a pin from me came equipped with two of them at pickup. He put the whole thing up on two sawhorses that had cutouts where the sides went into. Personally, I felt it made the loading much more difficult, but they did work well and collapsed easily.

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

The stool I use looks like this, PERFECT size..

I use a stool just like that...

#27 11 years ago

Old idea that works well,I've had one in the back of my truck for years.I put a little notch in the vertical piece.

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from Zdoor:

I use a stool just like that...

Like I said in the first line of my post, I'm sure most of you have your own method for removing and installing legs. I just threw this out there for those who want a simple cheap tool to do the job. I leave a wood dowel and a "Mr T" behind the seat of truck and have moved dozens of machines alone with no problems ever.

#29 11 years ago

When I first got into pinball someone had posted plans for a similar thing made out of PVC pipe, maybe 2 1/2" diameter. It's more "L" shaped and has a small base you stick it on made of 2 PVC tees and a 90. You put the bottom in the 90 of the base and tilt it up until it holds the weight of the machine. Works great as long as you are careful and don't rock it. I use it more to hold the pin off the front legs while I adjust the leg levelers than to install legs.

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinij93:

I took it as he was worried about the stress on the pinball machine, not the 2x4

Oh. My misunderstanding. I don't see that as a problem either though, unless your cab is falling apart already.

#31 11 years ago

I like it! Not as much as I like having a pinball friend with me to help move stuff, but I bet I could staple a pic of Greg to the 2x4 and then I would have him along no matter what!!

#32 11 years ago

Now, someone come up with a folding dolly to leave in truck and we are all set.

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinij93:

Now, someone come up with a folding dolly to leave in truck and we are all set.

You can get them at Sam's Club for about $20 I'm sure you could move a pinball with one of those.

Just make sure to watch your toes!

#34 11 years ago

Ha, checked that out, but only good for 150 pounds.

#35 11 years ago

Maybe you could use it for "The Pin" then.

#36 11 years ago

#37 11 years ago

The Wico Pinball Dolly works so much better.

#38 11 years ago

Great idea and thanks for posting!

#39 11 years ago

I seen this before something similar but they use PVC pipes. It works for you, and thats all that matters. You took the time to post up to help anyone who wants to save there backs or knees, props to ya man!

#40 11 years ago

I usually just turn the pinball upside down on the head...put the legs on and roll it over. Works Great.

#41 11 years ago

Not a good idea. I was at the Allentown show years ago and a guy had the same "tool". I thought to myself, "I see trouble ahead." I was playing a game of Theatre of Magic while the guy took his game down. He used the T-tool. I hear a HUGE BANG! Then a few choice words. I look over and his game is side ways on the hard concrete. I didn't bother to hang around and see the damage.

Just looked at your pics again. I believe the guy actually did it the other way. He had the T up top and balanced on the tiny bottom part. Your approach looks more stable. I still wouldn't use it, though.....at least not on my games

Duane

#42 11 years ago
    Quoted from TwilightZone:

Not a good idea. I was at the Allentown show years ago and a guy had the same "tool". I thought to myself, "I see trouble ahead." I was playing a game of Theatre of Magic while the guy took his game down. He used the T-tool. I hear a HUGE BANG! Then a few choice words. I look over and his game is side ways on the hard concrete. I didn't bother to hang around and see the damage.
    Just looked at your pics again. I believe the guy actually did it the other way. He had the T up top and balanced on the tiny bottom part. Your approach looks more stable. I still wouldn't use it, though.....at least not on my games
    Duane

No surprise there. Upside down is a very bad idea.

#43 11 years ago

Still rocking my Milk Crates...they always do the trick.

#44 11 years ago
    Quoted from bobWeir:

I usually just turn the pinball upside down on the head...put the legs on and roll it over. Works Great.

Now that i have to see.

#45 11 years ago

I've also stolen Allan's idea and have Mr T. It's fantastic.

#46 11 years ago

This doubles as a gold chain holder!

#47 11 years ago
    Quoted from jhoward1082:

Been using this trick for YEARS! It works great!

#48 11 years ago

Maybe it work great but it doesn't look sturdy enough for me.
    Why put a 5k LOTR on .50 cents of woods and srews? Doesn't make sense to me...
    We buy tumblers,soldering stations,have parts powder coated,buy expensive toppers,cc playfields with expensive stuff,etc,etc,etc...No way i'm putting any of my pin on a cheap set up like this.
    No offense...

#49 11 years ago
    Quoted from Andre:

Maybe it work great but it doesn't look sturdy enough for me.
    Why put a 5k LOTR on .50 cents of woods and srews? Doesn't make sense to me...
    We buy tumblers,soldering stations,have parts powder coated,buy expensive toppers,cc playfields with expensive stuff,etc,etc,etc...No way i'm putting any of my pin on a cheap set up like this.
    No offense...

No offense taken. Spend $400 for a cart that does the same thing as 50 cents of wood. It's your money. I can't fit my cart and a pin in my truck so "Mr T" is my friend and an excellent solution to moving pins alone. I've had back pain all my life and this just spares me a whole lot of pain.

#50 11 years ago

Just because it's cheap doesn't mean it doesn't work. If it had a Pinball Life logo on it and was covered in black tolex and was $50 would it be better?

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/must-have-tool-meet-mr-t and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.