Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Menthelm
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200803_115005 (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

is there or can there be a list of the must have tools for common trouble shooting of thins that commonly go wrong with the pins? I am a owner of a used pin and in my area of the country, there are zero resources for pin repairing, so would like your opinion of the must have tools that you think would be most helpful. thank you,
    wendy,

#2 3 years ago

https://www.pinballlife.com/ultimate-leaf-adjuster-tool.html this switch adjustment tool, a good soldering iron & a quarter inch nut driver for starters , I read in your other thread that you already have a multi meter correct?

#3 3 years ago

long alligator jumpers

#4 3 years ago

Multi meter
    Soldering iron
    magnetic nut driver/screw driver set
    long extension magnet
    alligator jumper wires
    ability to read schematics
    know how to reach out on pinside
    a box full of different screws/nuts used on pinball machines
    incandescent/led bulbs/flashers

#5 3 years ago

out of order sign

#6 3 years ago

There can be some variation depending on the era of machine and how far you want to go... But thinking of the essentials in my crash kit for housecalls and pinball shows, the key items are:

-schematics for the game
    -auto-ranging DMM with continuity beep function
    -good temp-controllable soldering iron
    -switch adjustment tool... Seems kinda silly at first but the first time you use one, you'll "get it"
    -burnishing tool and/or fiber (non glossy) business cards for cleaning switches
    -ratcheting all-in-one screwdriver
    -nut driver set... Or at least 1/4, 5/16, and 11/32
    -fuse assortment... Or even better, circuit breakers
    -small adjustable crescent wrench AND small channel lock pliers
    -length(s) of insulated wire to use for test leads
    -willingness to learn and a cautious troubleshooting approach

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

long alligator jumpers

a large selection to boot.

#8 3 years ago

Where are you. sourcing the various long Alligator jumpers please ? Looking for quality .

Thanks Shane

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from bepositive:

Where are you. sourcing the various long Alligator jumpers please ? Looking for quality .
    Thanks Shane

Make them. Easy enough....maybe not everyone though. Quick easy tutorial.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

long alligator jumpers

This was the exact thing I was going to say. Right after a multi-meter, jumpers. The handiest debugging tool ever.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

https://www.pinballlife.com/ultimate-leaf-adjuster-tool.html this switch adjustment tool, a good soldering iron & a quarter inch nut driver for starters , I read in your other thread that you already have a multi meter correct?

yes, its just a harbor freight one, but i think it will get me started, I also have a plain soldering iron, nothing fancy with a temp reading or anything,are there any books, that would help a person totally new to this area to understand what exactly goes on in the innerworkings of a pin ball machine?
    I understand the machine i have is call a "solid state" machine, it is from 1981, what is the difference between "solid state" and what ever the other ones are now? when did the transition happen to what ever the machines are called now? I assume there was some better design/system that came along? I hope my questions are not to elementry to you. Its just that this is a whole new area for me to learn about, "never to late to learn stuff" :^) thank you for your time!

#12 3 years ago

Lots of info here: www.pinrepair.com

#13 3 years ago

that tool looks nice and is reasonably priced, I have yet to learn what the "leaf" it refers to is and if my machine has one, If the 1981 bally 8 Ball Deluxe has a "leaf" it would be something i certainly could use, thank you for making me aware of this tool!
    wendy

#14 3 years ago

Everything now is solid state. Older stuff is electro mechanical. The transition happened in the ‘70s.
    terryb has a soldering guide that is excellent. There are techniques as well as recommended tools. If you’re doing board repair a temp controlled soldering iron is recommended. Great technique can overcome mediocre tools- usually.

Modern games use node boards and surface mount components. Mostly not repairable until our repair tooling becomes common for surface mount components.

There is plenty in a modern pin that is repairable.

Your game does have some leaf switches.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from wendyb:

yes, its just a harbor freight one, but i think it will get me started, I also have a plain soldering iron, nothing fancy with a temp reading or anything,are there any books, that would help a person totally new to this area to understand what exactly goes on in the innerworkings of a pin ball machine?
    I understand the machine i have is call a "solid state" machine, it is from 1981, what is the difference between "solid state" and what ever the other ones are now? when did the transition happen to what ever the machines are called now? I assume there was some better design/system that came along? I hope my questions are not to elementry to you. Its just that this is a whole new area for me to learn about, "never to late to learn stuff" :^) tank you for your time!

Two main categories: Everything up to the late 1970's or so were called Electromechanical Machines. (EM) They created their game rules logic with stepper motors, sequencer motors, relays, etc. Score Displays were spinning plastic drums incrementally positioned up or down with solenoids, as were all of the flippers, bumpers and gadgets throughout the machine.

Following that, the story turned to Solid State (SS). Solid state replaced all of the 'logic' machinery (relays, sequencer motors, etc) with a solid state integrated circuit based logic equiv. Those were built with PC boards and lots of integrated circuits. Upside: They either worked or didn't. They didn't really need adjustment. They worked the same on day 1000 as they did on day 1. The game play logic could become quite intricate. Downside: chip failures, board swaps, and parts that would regularly need to be replaced, not just adjusted. (One machine: Mata Hari was actually produced in BOTH types of technologies, probably as a test to see if it could be done)

That said, the top of the playfields of all generations look very similiar. The playing field still bounces a steel ball from place to place. Still today you see similar playfield components: Flippers, slingshots, bumpers, spinning things, targets, ramps, etc. The back box changed from spinning wheel scoring mechanisms to digital display (first neon, then VFD, then video screens) and most of the 'logic' has moved from the horizontal cabinet (EM era) to the backbox (All SS machines).

#16 3 years ago

Leaf switches are common on SS and EMs. I think the guides cover how to adjust a "leaf" on a switch. A leaf is one side of the switch - look at the switches under a rollover or pop bumper - each piece of copper strip is a leaf, with a bump (contact) on the end. The adjustment tool is used to lightly bend the leaf to make sure each set of contacts make proper contact and wipe when closed.

Just a cautionary note - if you find that nearly all the switches require adjustment, stop. Something is wrong - usually there's not that many switches that require adjustment. Seek out some advice here, and include pictures.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from wendyb:

that tool looks nice and is reasonably priced, I have yet to learn what the "leaf" it refers to is and if my machine has one, If the 1981 bally 8 Ball Deluxe has a "leaf" it would be something i certainly could use, thank you for making me aware of this tool!
    wendy

Leaf is referring to a leaf switch most likely. They are the type of switches used in pinball machines. The ones in the picture are ones from pop bumpers. Some look different than others. There are two contacts in between the two pieces of metal that make contact to make something work or gap to make something stop. If you have a chance get on YouTube and check out Joe's Classic Video Games. He does pinball repair videos on there and he has videos repairing the same pin you have. Just search his channel. Lots of great info there for you. My wife and I love watching his videos. Hope this helps.

20200803_115005 (resized).jpg20200803_115005 (resized).jpg
    #18 3 years ago

Welcome to Pinside!

In addition to a soldering iron and good solder, you will want some way of removing solder as well. There are dedicated (expensive) stations for that, but at first I would start with a spool of desoldering wick, and maybe a mechanical solder sucker. That will get you by for the simple stuff you will be doing at first.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from Menthelm:

If you have a chance get on YouTube and check out Joe's Classic Video Games. He does pinball repair videos on there and he has videos repairing the same pin you have.[quoted image]

Actually he might not have one repairing 8-Ball Deluxe, but still a lot of great info there.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/must-have-diganostic-tools-for-pins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.