Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

Hi, normally I'd wait to research more before starting this topic but I'm new to Pinside and we've just bought our first machine and the seller is asking to come over and swap out the Rottendog main board with the orig board (which was supposedly just returned to him after being repaired).
We bought Fish Tales from the seller about three weeks ago and so far the machine works fine only once did it reset while playing but that was the first day at our place , perhaps related to moving and setup .
When the seller delivered the machine he pointed out the Rottendog board and told us that the original board was still out being repaired and he provided the machine with a Rottendog board which appeared to basically be his test board.

He was up front and told us we could keep the board or when the original was repaired that we could swap it out. He called last week and offered to come out an hour to our place to take back the Rottendog board and install the now repaired original board.
I don't know if we should keep the Rottendog board as are know it works well or if it would be better to have the original board?
Are repro boards such as the Rottendog considered an equal to the original or inferior? In my case as the Rottendog board setup works fine I was thinking maybe we should keep the board which is now working well but if it is important to have the original board then I'm open to swapping it - I'm not sure if the original boards while original equipment are inferior to a newer board or not.

Thanks for any advice as to whether it may be better to keep the Rottendog in place or allow the seller to stop by and install the original board and take back the Rottendog ? I guess one thing would be the quality of the repair job of the orig board which I have no idea how to validate the quality of the repair job (I guess I can try to ask the seller who rebuilt the board for him, I know he said he sent the orig board out for repair and it wasn't ready when he sold us the Fish Tales machine).

Thanks for any insight.

#2 10 years ago

I prefer to have the original so long as it is in good working order. Certainly nothing wrong with the replacement Rottendog, it comes down to what you like. The original board is not very old as boards go and both I think considered reliable. I've never had a fish tales pin though and it could be known to have problems with the MPU's but, I'm sure someone on here will comment that has more experience than I.

#3 10 years ago

I second RWH's comment about having the original board, especially if the board isn't completely hacked up to get it back up and running. usually, the board that takes the most abuse in a WPC-era title is the dmd driver board with high-voltage section becoming all toasty and charred.

from the purist point of view, should the machine ever become a candidate for a CQ restoration, it's a huge plus in terms of being complete (as well as worth a few more $'s in the end) to have all of the original parts in the machine.

#4 10 years ago

For B/W titles, I prefer original boards. The WPC board set is solid...I have this on my FT and WH20 (among others). I'd push for getting the original boards repaired/installed. Don't have much experience with the Rottendog MPU, so it's hard for me to comment.

For Bally titles (late '70's-80's), I really like the Altek Ultimate boards. Rock solid, great support, and they come with a lifetime warranty.

#5 10 years ago

Personally I prefer the repro boards...they're modern and reliable....(and not hacked!).

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

I prefer to have the original so long as it is in good working order. Certainly nothing wrong with the replacement Rottendog, it comes down to what you like. The original board is not very old as boards go and both I think considered reliable. I've never had a Fish Tales pin though and it could be known to have problems with the MPU's but, I'm sure someone on here will comment that has more experience than I.

The older boards are much better and built solid,I would keep my original and if i had a problem with it I would send it off for repairs.

#7 10 years ago

I would go with the repro Rottendog board. Much newer components and much more reliable in the long run. I've bought Rottendog boards on multiple occasions and haven't had an issue yet, they are built for the long haul.

#8 10 years ago

I'd keep the Rottendog for sure.

All the parts on the old board are 20+ years old and have had a hard life (probably left on 24/7, baking in the backbox).

Many of the connectors have a limited number of insertion cycles.

We've all seen boards come back from being "repaired" that still have intermittent problems that are hard to track down.

The Rottendog will have all brand new components, all brand new connectors, no hacking (who knows how many people have worked on it over the last 20 years), and is under a 2 year warranty. Keep it!!

#9 10 years ago

Original. Mainly because it's usually cheaper to fix an original than buy a repo. The original are really well designed and IMO easier to work on if you have to.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Original. Mainly because it's usually cheaper to fix an original than buy a repo. The original are really well designed and IMO easier to work on if you have to.

Only the larger ones. The smaller boards like DMD drivers and power supplys - it is much cheaper to buy the repo.

#11 10 years ago

Ok then, same question, system 6-7?

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I'd keep the Rottendog for sure.
All the parts on the old board are 20+ years old and have had a hard life (probably left on 24/7, baking in the backbox).
Many of the connectors have a limited number of insertion cycles.
We've all seen boards come back from being "repaired" that still have intermittent problems that are hard to track down.
The Rottendog will have all brand new components, all brand new connectors, no hacking (who knows how many people have worked on it over the last 20 years), and is under a 2 year warranty. Keep it!!

This ^ !!!

Also, if what you have is working, why switch?

--Luke

#13 10 years ago

With all the different opinions, I am sure your choice isn't much clearer.

I was faced with the same choice last week and decided to keep the original and send off the boards. Here is why I came to that conclusion.

1. For me the Rottendog choice will always be there, if I want to change my mind in the future I can always purchase the new boards. (Driver board same company and series as yours)

2. Sending the boards off to be fixed is cheaper and keeps the game as original.

3. Keeping the original boards might be a selling point in the future if you ever decide to sell the pin. Some collectors rather have the original boards, and it can be a listed feature in the sell.

4. A big part of the decision might come down to who did the board work. There are some repairmen that have impeccable reputations, Pinball Classics and Coin Op Cauldron, are 2 examples of this. If the boards looked hacked, temporary fixes that aren't done right just to get the machine running, then you might have trouble later on and be in the same spot you are in now.

Everybody has great points, especially the part about newer components on the new board. Again, if the old board doesn't work for you, selling them will equal close to what the new boards costs. Original boards have more value than you think.

The seller giving you options sounds like a good seller.

#14 10 years ago

That's just not true. A williams HV rebuild kit is a fraction of the cost of a rottendog. I'm pretty sure just about every reasonable shop will fix it for around $100 or less.

Quoted from Methos:

Only the larger ones. The smaller boards like DMD drivers and power supplys - it is much cheaper to buy the repo.

#15 10 years ago

I always go with original.

Even if my original is unrepairable, I find an original and repair it.

The original boards match the schematics in your game. The parts are almost always through-hole, not SMT, so you have a much wider base of techs who can repair them.

I've read too many issues over the years with compatibility issues with aftermarket boards. 'Well, it works fine in these games, but not in this game', etc.

I would not worry about age of components. Most of the repairs that come through my shop are *not* problems related to a part 'wearing out' on a CPU board, they are problems because someone shorted solenoid voltage to a switch, batteries leaked, etc. Repro boards are susceptible to those failures just as much as an original.

Now, this is also dependent on seeing both sides of this 'repaired' board. If it's a rats nest of jumper wires, or something else that is not desirable, you might want to just stick with the Rottendog. If the original has battery leakage damage, that is often difficult to clean up and it's often a case of chasing your tail for awhile because you fix one thing.. and another pops up down the road.

The idea that a tech's 'spare' rottendog board is under a 2 year warranty is flawed - who knows how long it's been on his shelf or in his toolbox? It could easily be over 2 years old - and even if it wasn't, does the warranty transfer?

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

That's just not true. A williams HV rebuild kit is a fraction of the cost of a rottendog. I'm pretty sure just about every reasonable shop will fix it for around $100 or less.

The after market Dmd driver board in this case is $79. Lots cheaper than the parts and fee for the shop.

As for the original question. Rottendog boards work fine / great in fish tales. They seem to have issues in a couple games like TZ or sttng. But I'd keep the rottendog. You know its working. After you have the guy come out and swap, there are two possibilities: game will be as good as it is now or game will be worse. No upside. The repaired board could also be resetting intermittently - something you won't find until after the swap is done and the dude is gone.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

The original boards match the schematics in your game. The parts are almost always through-hole, not SMT, so you have a much wider base of techs who can repair them.

Rottendog brags:

- Remote battery holder (no future acid damage).

- ZERO surface mount components. This is not a throw away board. We ONLY do Through-Hole Designs

- No custom components.

- Socketed through hole connector for RAM Chip.

- All new (not 20+ year old) components and PCB

- All of our components match the original schematic component designators, so you can troubleshoot with the original schematics !

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Rottendog brags:
- Remote battery holder (no future acid damage).
- ZERO surface mount components. This is not a throw away board. We ONLY do Through-Hole Designs
- No custom components.
- Socketed through hole connector for RAM Chip.
- All new (not 20+ year old) components and PCB
- All of our components match the original schematic component designators, so you can troubleshoot with the original schematics !

Ditto. Rottendog boards are more of a selling point for me then originals.

#19 10 years ago

I'm happy with mine(Rottendog).And Jim is a solid stand behind his product guy.

#20 10 years ago

First thanks all for the info (I didn't expect this much feedback within 12 hrs).

I'm sort of in a unique situation in that this is my 1st machine (I obviously have a lot to learn yet) and I just bought the machine and the seller is now asking me if I want him to come over and swap out the Rottendog boards for the originals :

Which again the originals weren't ready and supposedly offsite being redone when I purchased the game. The seller was up front and told me this at the time of the sale (that the machine contained his "test boards" and that I could choose to keep it as is or he would swap out the originals once they are ready).

He called the other day and was ready to come out and switch to the originals (he didn't really ask me but was more implying he would come over and swap - I guess as if it was a benefit to have the originals but as I'm new to this I didn't know if I should just leave it as is since all works so far so good for 3 weeks).

I took a look at the boards just now to TRY to see exactly what's installed and I see THREE boards which have Rottendog on them:

Top Right - small board DMD controller Rottendog DMD 089 WPC

Bottom Right large board - Rottendog Gen Purpose DMD Driver Board (replaces A-12697 -1/-3)

Top Left - Rottendog FLP892 smaller sized Fliptronics II Flipper Board

Bottom Left - Larger vertically appears to be original maybe as I don't see Rottendog
- contains a ROM chip I guess with KDARCADE.NET 1.5 label, 3x AA batteries

Based on the boards found in the machine at this time , the apparent THREE total Rottendog boards - does this seem like they kind of go together / any sort of indication that the originals were possibly really hosed up or typical ?

I would research more on my own if I didn't have to decide this week if the seller is to come swap the boards. I'm sure the seller is honest as he was up front with me in that the boards were his "test setup" and I could have the option to swap - but I'm so new at this I have no idea on which route to take and on limited time (if somehow the original boards had an issue, he did have another Fish Tales waiting to be restored, I really don't have the extra $$$$ to but replacements, so I'm sort of inclined to keep it as is but if the originals are that much better which I guess depends on WHO worked on them - which I have no idea who did the repairs).

Thanks for the feedback and sorry if I started a feverish debate via one of my 1st Pinside posts.

I've contributed to the local pin map properties adding 4 sites in my area which contain BSD , Scared Stiff and other decent machines and hope to contribute to the site quite a bit in time (I think I'm hooked now & already looking for a 2nd pin).

Thanks

#21 10 years ago

He wants them back for a reason. :-)I'd keep em

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from Slugmeister:

He wants them back for a reason. :-)I'd keep em

Exactly.

He knows the Rottendog boards are more valuable than those origs, otherwise he would not drive all the way to your shack, swap boards, troubleshoot any connections and drive back.

You have the better of the two choices, keep 'em.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Exactly.
He knows the Rottendog boards are more valuable than those origs, otherwise he would not drive all the way to your shack, swap boards, troubleshoot any connections and drive back.
You have the better of the two choices, keep 'em.

dont the rottendog boards have test points that are easy to use compared to the originals as well?

#24 10 years ago

I would take a new Rottendog over a repaired original any day of the week. Newer components, better test points, same thru-hole tech and you can still use the original schematics to test with them.

I have purchased a number of Rottendog CPUs, power driver boards, power supply boards, etc over the years and only had one issue ever (backwards protection diode on a CPU for the batteries)

#25 10 years ago

Hey now, if the PIN is stable, no random resets etc, I would keep the Rottendog boards and not mess with it.

From my personal experience, I noticed an immediate bump in power when I replaced my old driver board with a Rottendog board in my STTNG PIN. The flippers were faster, the cannons moved faster, everything just worked better! Very happy with this Rottendog driver board, would not go back.

#26 10 years ago

Original boards with matching serial numbers is a selling point with me. I know that down the road there are people who will want all original parts and may not even be interested without the original boards. Nobody would say "I won't buy if there are no Rottendog boards".

#27 10 years ago

When you bought it the understanding was you were going to trade back for the originals. Should be a no brainer to keep up your end of the deal. Regardless if one is better then the other.

Ethics goes a long way.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

When you bought it the understanding was you were going to trade back for the originals. Should be a no brainer to keep up your end of the deal. Regardless if one is better then the other.
Ethics goes a long way.

From the OP: "He was up front and told us we could keep the board or when the original was repaired that we could swap it out."

#29 10 years ago

Thanks BJ, I missed that part. Then if that the case I always take the original part if it is in good working order.

Original part means that there is TON of troubleshoot info on the net. For example, you will not find a pinwiki on a Rottendog/Xpin board should the replacement start acting up.

#30 10 years ago

I would visually inspect the original boards. Front side and back side. Look for any hacks, delamination, or damage. If the original boards look good, only then would I consider taking them.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

Thanks BJ, I missed that part.

Reading goes a long way.

#32 10 years ago

The fuse clips on the RD boards are just like the DE ones and are very easy to split or damage them,That's one thing I didn't like about it.

#33 10 years ago

I have a mixture of both in my collection. In fact, my TZ has ALL aftermarket boards in it except for the soundboard.
They work identical - IMHO, the driver board is a good one to have aftermarket due to design issues with resets and heat generation.
The original CPU boards are rock solid as long as you move the battery back off the board.
I Also have all aftermarket DMD drivers due to same reasons I stated above with the driver boards.
In YOUR case, A FT CPU original board is just fine to have installed and wouldn't give him grief over swapping it out as long as it's 100%.

D

#34 10 years ago

i would go with the original if it was repaired properly . who repaired it ? i also would put remote battery holder in the original

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

The original CPU boards are rock solid

That's correct if they are not hacked up and properly keep in good working order they will last forever.

#36 10 years ago

The big question is do you want the guy to swap out working boards on your machine for something that may or may not be working 100%? Will he come out and switch them back if there are problems with the reworked boards?

#37 10 years ago

I have Rottendog in Ft, JL and WW. They have all performed well. I think the biggest design improvement is in the system 7 board where they have eliminated the long connector between the two boards that is known to cause lots of problems. I got WW without boards and put Rottendog in it because they were readily available. After three different old parts on my FT driver board needed to be replaced, I got a Rottendog for it and have not had any trouble.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Reading goes a long way.

True dat. But hey, in my defense I'm on vacation, got nothing but rain coming down on my head all week and I spiked a temp last night. Fun fun fun.......

I miss my gameroom.

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

True dat. But hey, in my defense I'm on vacation, got nothing but rain coming down on my head all week and I spiked a temp last night. Fun fun fun.......
I miss my gameroom.

You'll need a vacation from your vacation.

#40 10 years ago

I'd rather have a new board than the old ones.

As I buy these things to play rather than as investments, 'original' means absolutely nothing to me...

Rottendog all the way.

#41 10 years ago

If the original boards didn't have matching serial numbers, would anyone still prefer them over RD?

#42 10 years ago

Matching serial numbers or not I prefer new boards. Old boards are doomed to fail and have a much shorter life expectancy. If you are like me and can't stand board work do yourself a favor and keep the Rottendogs. To me having Rottendog boards is a selling point, original boards doesn't add anything to the value IMO.

#43 10 years ago

Much shorter life expactancy? Doomed to fail? That is BS

Here is another way to look at it. New boards = new parts = chinese junk?

Original boards have proved themself over a long period of time where repo boards are new to the market. Rottendog boards i am sure are good for the most part, but have their fair share of problems as well (system 11, non standard flipper drivers failing, etc).

I think the OP should keep the game as is if it is working properly.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Here is another way to look at it. New boards = new parts = chinese junk?

Rottendog boards are assembled in Michigan.

Quoted from barakandl:

Much shorter life expactancy? Doomed to fail? That is BS

Yeah BS. Any pinball board is going to have failures sooner or later.

The Rottendog board will last LONGER on average, because ALL the parts are new. But that is only an average; as a coil diode could die tomorrow and kill a brand new transistor same as an old.

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The Rottendog board will last LONGER on average, because ALL the parts are new.

This is what I was alluding to. I have had a terrible time with original boards personally so I would leave it be with the new boards, pretty easy decision.

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from Chuck_Sherman:

Ok then, same question, system 6-7?

This is an even easier vote for Rottendog, as the driver transistors are heavier duty than the orig Williams.

Also the CPU and Driver are all on one board, no crappy 40 pin interconnect = higher reliability.

#47 10 years ago

Not even close for me, when I can get a new board I get it. Rottendog, pinscore, Etc.

Electronics have a life cycle, go new and they will last longer. It may be me, but the new ones seem to run much cooler (especially the power supply boards) than the old ones.

And for sending boards out for repairs, do you want to not have your machine for 2 to 10 weeks waiting for a repair? Shipping alone may cost you $10 bucks each way plus the repair costs, plus the waiting...in my opinion it's not worth it. May be for someone else but I'd rather spend a few extra bucks and forget about it.

As far as what the market wants....just look at sold prices for old boards on here and on eBay. New boards go for 4 to 8 times what old boards go for. I am sure your machine will have a better resale value with the rottendog boards.

I've sold several used boards that work 100% for a fraction of what the new ones go for. There may be a few collectors out there that want the original, but people are willing to pay much more for new.

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

I miss my gameroom.

I was just busting your balls. I still love you, in a totally hetero way.

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

Ethics goes a long way.

No, he didn't ask me to commit to returning the current boards, in fact I didn't even know that the orig boards were not included until after I bought the machine and it was powered up at my home but I was OK with that and I trust the seller.

I trust the seller and plan on buying from him in the future - I just didn't know anything obviously about the reliability of repro vs restored original boards. It's still a hot topic as I can see from this active thread.

Last week he called to say that he was to be in my area and was coming over to swap out the boards - I'm not really sure if I should go that route or just keep what's in place (as again that was an option). I think i will keep what's working as I do not plan on re-selling.

I created a Pinside acct to learn more about the pro's and con's in switching boards & I've updated several locations on in my area (pin Map) & hope to find a few more machines to purchase in the near future (I plan on buying another machine from the same seller as FT, he has 1 machine right now that I'm interested in).

It seems that swapping to the originals is preferred IF they were repaired in the proper manner. I think I'm going to just keep the repro boards because this is my 1st machine and I have idea yet about how any of this stuff works - sticking with what is working it prob the best bet in my case .

Thanks to everyone for the ton of info on repro / original board options.

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

With all the different opinions, I am sure your choice isn't much clearer..........
The seller giving you options sounds like a good seller.

You summed it up best, Thanks

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 169.00
$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

12,500 (OBO)
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/must-choose-orig-or-rottendog-main-board and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.