Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 478 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by pinwiztom
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

driveinspinst3.jpg
    driveinspinst2.jpg
    driveinspinst1.jpg
    driveinsporig.jpg
    Driveinsp3.jpg
    Driveinsp2.jpg
    th-308.jpeg
    sburgwallbox1.jpg
    sburgwbax3.jpg
    sburgwbox6.jpg
    sburgwbox5).jpg
    sburgwbox4.jpg
    sburgwbox2jpg.jpg
    Seeburg.jpg
    jwinter.JPG
    download 1.jpg
    There are 478 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 10.
    #151 9 years ago

Anyone mention one of my favorites from the 70's - Lynyrd Skynyrd
    The juke box song was usually Sweet Home Alabama but I liked the whole album

index.jpgindex.jpg

#152 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pin-it:

Never seen those before ^^ remember these? >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flexi_disc

Ha!
    They had one of those in an issue or two of MAD magazine back in the day.........

#153 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pin-it:

Never seen those before ^^

You probably wouldn't have and I'm really surprised to see another. It was a flexi, and I was only a tot when we got it. It was a fun kids record though.

#154 9 years ago

Some more listening 70`s hits pleasure.

#155 9 years ago

The Bay city rollers are banned so dont even think about it...

#156 9 years ago

And that goes for the Village people too,in case someone decides to put that up.

#157 9 years ago
    Quoted from hoov:

Anyone mention one of my favorites from the 70's - Lynyrd Skynyrd

They headlined another big festival at Anaheim stadium in 77 a few weeks before that terrible plane crash. Another show I was lucky enough to attend, During Free Bird the upper levels were bouncing so much, I thought they might collapse. Ted Nugent, REO, Rex, and Foreigner on their first ever tour also played that day. It was a hell of a day.

Not much more I can say that isn't said here- except for the guy that says Nugent came on after Skynyrd. Skynyrd was last.

http://www.classic-rock-concerts.com/performances/23943

#158 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Not much more I can say that isn't said here-

That an awesome site. Im going throw the Austin shows now to see how many i worked.

--Jeff

#159 9 years ago

One of my all time favourite bands was Foreigner. I always find 'Waiting for a Girl Like You' a great track. It is sad that Lou Gramm endured years of drug abuse and a brain tumour but he appears redeemed now although physically barely recognisable from his earlier years.

#160 9 years ago

Well I have been absolutely overwhelmed by the posts on this site. Picking the top 100 including as suggested analysing Billboard Charts for the EM era is going to be a tough ask. But I really appreciate the great feedback, the obvious commaderie between pinballers and clearly the role of music in our lives and the ability to use music as date stamps during our lives. What has also become very clear is the synergy between pinballs and jukeboxes. I look forward to getting the Seeburg 100 wallbox up & running with renewed zeal-my thks to all.

#161 9 years ago

right on the very cusp of the end of the em era, but these two songs got played at least once every half hour in the skateboard center i used to go to...

#162 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pin-it:

And that goes for the Village people too,in case someone decides to put that up.

you likely should have known better than to throw down the gauntlet...

yes, i owned this...

#163 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

you likely should have known better than to throw down the gauntlet...
    yes, i owned this...
    » YouTube video

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYHHHH!

Another stuck in my head. Damn you

#164 9 years ago

100% No Village People or Bay City Rollers.

#165 9 years ago

1974 Paper Lace - The Night Chicago Died, and also Billy Don't Be A Hero
    1974 Ray Stevens - The Streak
    1974 Jim Stafford - Spiders and Snakes
    1974 Elton John - Bennie and the Jets

These are all songs I specifically remember hearing while playing EM pinball in 1974. I was 9-10 years old at the time.

Post edited by LOTR_breath: corrected artists name

#166 9 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYHHHH!
    Another stuck in my head. Damn you

at least you were forewarned on that one...

#167 9 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

S - A - T - U - R, D - A - Y, Night!
    Nuff said.

Definitely a tough task to narrow your selections down to what will fit in a standard late model Jukebox. With only 80 or 100 A sides, and with the release of "Back to Back hits" the most you can hope for is 160 or 200 songs. With the digital wallbox player, at least you can max out at 200 desired songs. With limited space for artist, you will probably have to select 2 hits per artist for each title strip.

This is one reason why I have always wanted a CD jukebox. With 100 CDs, and Greatest Hits (or even self made compilations), you are looking at 12 to 21 tracks per CD. That's as many as 2000 songs! However, since many have been converted to Internet Jukeboxes, fewer are showing up at Auction and the prices seem to be rising a bit for working ones.

#168 9 years ago

i'm not sure what datasync device wayner is using, but...

i have 2 different ones... one controls a multi-disk cd player (i used a 100 disk player with it)... if the cd player will recognize compressed formats, you could put a TON of music on it... the other controls an ipod... the way the ipod one works is that it selects playlists, so you could conceivably have as many songs as will fit on the ipod (albeit not individually selectable, that would be true of the cd option as well)...

you can also use these with a "consolette" type wallbox and take advantage of the fact that it has speakers... one of these days, i will complete that project...

#169 9 years ago

There is a song for a day like today-

#170 9 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

1974 Cat Stevens - The Streak

Think it was Ray Stevens not Cat Stevens - he also did Bridget the Midget.

#171 9 years ago
    Quoted from PMcGee:

he also did Bridget the Midget.

I saw Bridget the Midget dance at a strip club one. Does that count?

--Jeff

bridget.jpgbridget.jpg

#172 9 years ago
    Quoted from way2wyrd:

I saw Bridget the Midget dance at a strip club one. Does that count?
    --Jeff

bridget.jpg 28 KB

Yeah, I did too. Felt kind of weird though.

#173 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

i'm not sure what datasync device wayner is using

This is the device called the "Player System for Wallbox Selectors"

http://www.cdadapter.com/download/wb-mp3.pdf

#174 9 years ago

thanks wayner... basically the same idea, except it has internal flash to store the music... i like that...

i still owe you a pm...

#175 9 years ago

My jukebox would have the Ramones on it. EMs still ruled the universe when this came out.

#176 9 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

S - A - T - U - R, D - A - Y, Night!
    Nuff said.
    Definitely a tough task to narrow your selections down to what will fit in a standard late model Jukebox. With only 80 or 100 A sides, and with the release of "Back to Back hits" the most you can hope for is 160 or 200 songs. With the digital wallbox player, at least you can max out at 200 desired songs. With limited space for artist, you will probably have to select 2 hits per artist for each title strip.
    This is one reason why I have always wanted a CD jukebox. With 100 CDs, and Greatest Hits (or even self made compilations), you are looking at 12 to 21 tracks per CD. That's as many as 2000 songs! However, since many have been converted to Internet Jukeboxes, fewer are showing up at Auction and the prices seem to be rising a bit for working ones.

In school, one day, back in 1975. I had an argument with a Bay City Roller fan. I told her and her friend, that the Rollers were a flash in the pan. That KISS and Elton John would still be playing and putting out records well past the year 2000. Well, I won that one.

#177 9 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

that the Rollers were a flash in the pan.

Heck, they were touted as the new Beatles if I remember correctly. LOLOL!!!!!!!

#178 9 years ago

It occurs to me that in the EM era of music we actually had music-bands that were entertainers and produced music from real instruments needing skill with all its highs & flaws. Outside of the EM era we have great sounds but in many respects it is computer based concocted music and even concocted voices using autotune and in many respects without personality. Now that creates an analogy between EMs and computer based pinballs-do they to lack the realism of an earlier era?

#179 9 years ago

I think we missed Peter Frampton in this list.

#180 9 years ago
    Quoted from wayner:

Outside of the EM era we have great sounds but in many respects it is computer based concocted music and even concocted voices using autotune and in many respects without personality

There are still bands out there the heed the old ways. You just have to look....

#181 9 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Yeah i pointed that out and they still dont listen, this one will erase them in your head.

#182 9 years ago

Stop killing yourself to ......

#183 9 years ago

♪ ♫ ♪ Destiny with the rising Sun..... ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♪

#184 9 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

I think we missed Peter Frampton in this list.

That would be G7

#185 9 years ago
    Quoted from wayner:

It occurs to me that in the EM era of music we actually had music-bands that were entertainers and produced music from real instruments needing skill with all its highs & flaws. Outside of the EM era we have great sounds but in many respects it is computer based concocted music and even concocted voices using autotune and in many respects without personality. Now that creates an analogy between EMs and computer based pinballs-do they to lack the realism of an earlier era?

you really don't want to get me started on this subject...

besides the fact that i prefer classical music, it is also just about the only thing left that is "real"... and even some of that is mangled... can you imagine what they would have done to janis joplin's voice with autotune?

otoh, i am very happy that we have digital processing available to us for use in our homes, as it allows relatively easy manipulation both in the time and frequency domains... even "simple stupid" room correction is a huge boon to the vast majority of users...

so i suppose that sword cuts both ways... i want it "straight from the cow" when they record/mix it, but the ability to "fix" my room (especially below the schroeder frequency) is priceless... i have used (and still use) bass traps... i have putzed endlessly with subwoofer positioning... etc... no matter what, i could not properly control bass frequency response and decay... using digital correction, i have flat response to 15hz with acceptable decay...

digital "processing" = mostly bad in the studio, but great in the home... by ameliorating the effects of your room, you get at least close to what the mixer intended you to hear...

edit: hey rob... i'm having flashbacks...

#186 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pin-it:

Stop killing yourself to ......
    » YouTube video

If only Ozzie had autotune for those live gigs...

#187 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

you really don't want to get me started on this subject...

Me neither. There are a number of bands out now a days that dont do this kind of thing that are putting out great music. Im sure the same thing was said about the music we listened to by the older generation

off the top of my head here are some listen worthy bands that are non digital and play actual instruments
    Jack White in any incarnation (White Stripes, Raconteurs, Dead Weather)
    Black Keys
    My Morning Jacket
    Arctic Monkeys
    The Sword
    Mastadon

--Jeff

#188 9 years ago

Black Keys are an excellent band. I'm not familiar with the others though, will have to give them an ear.

#189 9 years ago
    Quoted from way2wyrd:

Arctic Monkeys

My 16 year old daughters favorite band. And one of mine two. That's how you bridge the generation gap.

#190 9 years ago

You wanted some real music to play from the mid 70's while playing pinball? You won't find these for your jukebox full of 45's but you would wish that they had come out as a 45.

Some of my personal favorites from about 1974-1977ish

Post edited by Rat_Tomago: Had to add more.

#191 9 years ago

Here's something Odin can play while he plays the German version of his 72 Fireball.

#192 9 years ago

Even if you don't like Country, no 70's jukebox is complete without Kenny Rogers, The Gambler.

When I did jukeboxes I would go down to my local operator and get enough old records off his shelves to fill the machine. He had about 100 copies of The Gambler so I grabbed one, but I noticed it was all worn out. I put it back and got another--it was worn out too. I went through his whole shelf, and every single copy he had was worn smooth, and I'm talking to the point where you could hardly see the grooves. They played that song to death on the jukeboxes.

#193 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Here's something Odin can play while he plays the German version of his 72 Fireball.
    » YouTube video

Autobahn. There was Gary Newman with his Cars hit, but that might be 1981

#194 9 years ago

No comment

#195 9 years ago
    Quoted from cjmiller:

Even if you don't like Country, no 70's jukebox is complete without Kenny Rogers, The Gambler.

In my home town it was followed by Lucille and Ruby don't take your love to town.

#196 9 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Autobahn. There was Gary Newman with his Cars hit, but that might be 1981

Autobahn from 74 would work. Gary Numan "Cars" is 1979 even though we really didn't see the video until MTV started up in 81. We all know that MTV in Aug of 81 did not have very many videos and had to resort to 2 year old videos.

#197 9 years ago

Did anyone mention " Lola " by the Kinks? One of those tunes constantly played on the radio back then!!

#198 9 years ago

Yeah, I had the Kinks, Destroyer in my juke for awhile.

#199 9 years ago

sweet - love is like oxygen < the riff on that song will have your whole group over achieving on their abilities

#200 9 years ago

Mid 70's....a lot of KC and the Sunshine Band

There are 478 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/music-of-the-late-em-era/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.