Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 478 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by pinwiztom
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

driveinspinst3.jpg
    driveinspinst2.jpg
    driveinspinst1.jpg
    driveinsporig.jpg
    Driveinsp3.jpg
    Driveinsp2.jpg
    th-308.jpeg
    sburgwallbox1.jpg
    sburgwbax3.jpg
    sburgwbox6.jpg
    sburgwbox5).jpg
    sburgwbox4.jpg
    sburgwbox2jpg.jpg
    Seeburg.jpg
    jwinter.JPG
    download 1.jpg

There are 478 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 10.
    #1 9 years ago

I am setting up in my gamesroom a Seeburg 100 wallbox.

seeburgwallbox.jpgseeburgwallbox.jpg

Whilst these wallboxes originally operated through a host jukebox I am purchasing a 'Player System for Wallbox Selectors' from Data Sync which will allow for the wallbox to operate autonomously through a hi fi system based on selected music tracks loaded on a flash memory card along with background music when no selections are made.

Now I need to select 100 tracks and am really interested in getting Pinsider ideas on favourite music tracks of the late EM era (1960-78). What about nominating around 5 tracks (or any number) and I will publish the 100 selected.

#2 9 years ago

Popular Singles, there are to many to list. A stand out would be American Pie. That is a big span of music to cover. You may have to break it down more. Beatles to Elvis, to Peter Frampton to Fleetwood Mac.

#3 9 years ago

Here's few oldies but goodies (imo)

Draggin' the line - Tommy James
    96 Tears - ?mark and The Mysterians
    She' Not There - Santana
    Green Onions - Booker T & The MG's
    For What It's Worth - Buffalo Springfield

#4 9 years ago

personally id load it with Black Sabbath , Early AC/DC and Zepplin

--Jeff

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from WOLF:

96 Tears - ?mark and The Mysterians
    She' Not There - Santana

I don't know of any song called "She's Not There" by Santana. The one I know is by the Zombies.

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from way2wyrd:

personally id load it with Black Sabbath , Early AC/DC and Zepplin

--Jeff

Add these bands as well and you will be rock'in!

ZZ Top
    38 Special
    Bad Company
    Van Halen
    Robin Trower

Ken

#7 9 years ago

One way to do it is to look at the Billboard 100 lists. Even if you narrow it down to just the 70s, that is 1000 songs to choose from. It should be easy to select 100 songs you like from that group.

#8 9 years ago

Link for what was ^^^^^^
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Billboard_number-one_singles

Just click on the years you want.

#9 9 years ago

There are 1000s of great tracks, but these would absolutely make my cut.

Crime of the Century: Supertramp
    In the Flesh: Pink Floyd
    Black Betty: Ram Jam
    Kick out the Jams: MC5
    Ain't no Sunshine: Bill Withers
    Runnin With the Devil: Van Halen
    Any AC/DC
    Any Zeppelin
    Hey Hey My My: Neil Young
    Mother's Little Helper: The Rolling Stones
    Instant Karma: John Lennon
    God of Thunder: Kiss
    The Seeker: The Who
    Almost Cut My Hair: Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young
    Ziggy Stardust: David Bowie
    The Ballad of Dwight Fry: Alice Cooper
    Search and Destroy: The Stooges
    Symptom of the Universe: Black Sabbath

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Popular Singles, there are to many to list. A stand out would be American Pie. That is a big span of music to cover. You may have to break it down more. Beatles to Elvis, to Peter Frampton to Fleetwood Mac.

Funny you would mention American Pie. It is one of those songs that was "split" on the A an B sides since it was so long. Problem was, most jukeboxes play the songs as they encounter the record, first playing all the A sides and then the B sides and then the A sides etc. So, in a busy place, it may take a long time until you hear the second half, or possibly B side before A. Fortunately, your Digital player will play the whole song.

The problem with selecting music is you can't always pick it off the Top 100 charts. Since many Radio stations would also be playing older hits in between the new ones, as well as new releases that may never make it into the Top 10, Top 40 or even Top 100. That is why I like listening to the replays of American Top 40 with Casey Kasem from the 70's and the MTV VJs from the 80s. Of course, some of the songs that placed greater than #40 should not ever be played again.....

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

Of course, some of the songs that placed greater than #40 should not ever be played again.....

that list would start with "seasons in the sun"...

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

Or "Afternoon Delight"

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

Got that one in my downstairs jukebox.

What's fun about a jukebox is you can sort of add great songs as you go. No need to fill it up right away. You may be somewhere and hear a great old song that you had forgotten about or discover a classic in a movie your watching. If it speaks to you it's fun to try to find a copy for the jukebox. Some 45s are tricky to find, you should have less trouble.

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

Or "Afternoon Delight"

that would be high on the list... i think it would be easier to come up with a list of bad songs from that era than good ones...

Quoted from AlexF:

Got that one in my downstairs jukebox.

it's not too late to destroy it...

#15 9 years ago

Well, it sort of has some personal meaning. I do understand that many do not like the song, but just like pinball sometimes what makes 'em great is an emotional association.

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

Well, it sort of has some personal meaning. I do understand that many do not like the song, but just like pinball sometimes what makes 'em great is an emotional association.

ok, you get a pass on it... i can understand emotional association...

however, don't tell me you have "knock 3 times" on there as well...

#17 9 years ago

wiki list of top #1's from the 70's....

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Billboard_Hot_100_number-one_singles_of_the_1970s

dear me, there was a LOT of bad pop music then...

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

Funny you would mention American Pie. It is one of those songs that was "split" on the A an B sides since it was so long. Problem was, most jukeboxes play the songs as they encounter the record, first playing all the A sides and then the B sides and then the A sides etc. So, in a busy place, it may take a long time until you hear the second half, or possibly B side before A. Fortunately, your Digital player will play the whole song.

I can remember hearing this song from a Juke Box. More than once. In the 70's there were many artists and bands that had super big hits. 'One Hit Wonders', some acts just could not get another hit. Some took their money and just left the industry all together, or worse. In the early1970's if an artist took home a $1,000,000 that was a ton of money.

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

Terry Jacks. When his first big cheque came in he bought a 380SL he still has a M.Benz SL, his personalized license plate has 'XXXXXX' as in toy jacks. He lives in West Vancouver.

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

ok, you get a pass on it... i can understand emotional association...
    however, don't tell me you have "knock 3 times" on there as well...

Ha, no that one is in my wife's jukebox upstairs. Was one of her mom's favorites.

I'm scared to tell you the rest of them and please don't guess anymore.

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

I can remember hearing this song from a Juke Box. More than once. In the 70's there were many artists and bands that had super big hits. 'One Hit Wonders', some acts just could not get another hit. Some took their money and just left the industry all together, or worse. In the early1970's if an artist took home a $1,000,000 that was a ton of money.

they were lucky if they took home any money at all, given how a lot of those contracts were written...

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

Ha, no that one is in my wife's jukebox upstairs. Was one of her mom's favorites.
    I'm scared to tell you the rest of them and please don't guess anymore.

do "we" have some donnie and marie too?

#23 9 years ago

No, that's where I draw the line.

#24 9 years ago

As the EM era was coming to an end, bands like the Ramones, The Clash, The Sex Pistols, and The Jam, were quickly winning my favor. But that was the very late EM era indeed.

But for the earlier 70s no jukebox would be complete without a little Jigsaw.

#25 9 years ago

@wayner... i believe i have some documentation/schematics lying around somewhere for that wallbox... i'll dig around and see what i can find...

yours looks to be in nicer shape than mine... i really like that particular style of wallbox...

image-776.jpgimage-776.jpg

#26 9 years ago

now all you gotta do is lay your hands on a pair of these...

image-72.jpgimage-72.jpg

sadly, they are not cheap... i've been hoping to score a pair at a reasonable price for a long time, without luck...

#27 9 years ago

I think there is a guy that makes reproductions?

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

No, that's where I draw the line.

good thing... i didn't want to have to drive to wisconsin and lay waste to your jukebox...

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

As the EM era was coming to an end, bands like the Ramones, The Clash, The Sex Pistols, and The Jam, were quickly winning my favor. But that was the very late EM era indeed.
    » YouTube video

Or some First Class:

I am not afraid to admit I own: Have a nice day Volumes 1 through 25.

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

good thing... i didn't want to have to drive to wisconsin and lay waste to your jukebox...

I'm scared to let you visit now.

When I first got my jukebox I thought it would be fun to load it up with all the hair metal I used to listen to in the 80s. Then I realized I rarely selected those songs. I'd always pick the oldies that came with the juke. I'd heard all the stuff I thought I was nostalgic about a million times already. Discovering the 50s-70s stuff I was barely familiar with was a lot more fun and refreshing.

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

that would actually be even better... all i really want are the shells, i believe i can make a reasonably decent pair of nearfield speakers out of them... i'd just suck it up and buy a "complete" pair of originals, but i can't bring myself to kill a pair of originals for a science project...

could always get real sporty and go for these... i have NO idea how much they go for, but i would guess that it is a pretty big number...

image-389.jpgimage-389.jpg

#32 9 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

Or some First Class:
    » YouTube video

confession: much of the music i denigrate now, i was rather fond of then...

although i can't say say i ever found this acceptable...

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

I'm scared to let you visit now.
    When I first got my jukebox I thought it would be fun to load it up with all the hair metal I used to listen to in the 80s. Then I realized I rarely selected those songs. I'd always pick the oldies that came with the juke. I'd heard all the stuff I thought I was nostalgic about a million times already. Discovering the 50s-70s stuff I was barely familiar with was a lot more fun and refreshing.

when i had that wallbox hooked up to a multi-disk cd player, it was all motown...

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

Or some First Class:

Beach baby was the song of that summer. Along with Rock Me Gently. They sounded real good coming out of my Realistic portable radio.

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I have this one. On vinyl.

Beach baby was the song of that summer. Along with Rock Me Gently. They sounded real good coming out of my Realistic portable radio.
    » YouTube video

348375232_1237fb5af7_z.jpg 64 KB

i hope you were rocking that vinyl on your realistic "auto magic" hi-fi system...

image-344.jpgimage-344.jpg

#36 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

when i had that wallbox hooked up to a multi-disk cd player, it was all motown...

Ah well, redemption. I've got some Temptations, Supremes, Contours, Smokey Robinson, Jackson 5, Four Seasons etc. in my jukes too.

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

Ah well, redemption. I've got some Temptations, Supremes, Contours, Smokey Robinson, Jackson 5, Four Seasons etc. in my jukes too.

that gets you back on the "good list"... i hope there's some barry white on there too...

@wayner... this kinda highlights the "problem" with trying to pick out a top 100... mine would have a ton of r&b/soul on it... others would lean towards metal...

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

i hope you were rocking that vinyl on your realistic "auto magic" hi-fi system...

My bad. My Hi Fi components were "Realtone" not Realistic.
    th-342.jpegth-342.jpeg

Quoted from ccotenj:

although i can't say say i ever found this acceptable...

The Osmonds are so last week. As soon as these guys hit the top, no one will remember the Osmonds ever existed.

#39 9 years ago

How bout some Judas Priest, Scorpions or Blue Oyster Cult?

Great Metal bands of the era

That or some P Funk, ELP , Queen or Bowie

--Jeff

#40 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

now all you gotta do is lay your hands on a pair of these...

sadly, they are not cheap... i've been hoping to score a pair at a reasonable price for a long time, without luck...

image-72.jpg 135 KB

Ah that puts into perspective what I thought was quite a high price on the following ebay listing:

ebay.com link: Jukebox Speakers and wallbox Seeburg

#41 9 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

I don't know of any song called "She's Not There" by Santana. The one I know is by the Zombies.

The Zombies (Rod Argent) are the ones that made it popular, Santana made a cover that sounds pretty cool too.

#42 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

@wayner... i believe i have some documentation/schematics lying around somewhere for that wallbox... i'll dig around and see what i can find...
    yours looks to be in nicer shape than mine... i really like that particular style of wallbox...

image-776.jpg 200 KB

Thks so much ccoteng that would be terrific if you could locate the documentation. Likewise I have always been fond of that style of wallbox. Growing up in Sydney it was I recall the only wallbox around-boy Seeburg must have produced 10s of thousands. I was interested to read last week that where, in a diner (our name is café), multiple patrons selected the one hit in line it only played once but the owner received multiple coins-that's interesting given that of the 100 selections 'pareto theory' reined ie 20% of the hits makes for 100% of the plays!!

#43 9 years ago

Ballroom Blitz FTW!

#44 9 years ago
    Quoted from wayner:

Thks so much ccoteng that would be terrific if you could locate the documentation. Likewise I have always been fond of that style of wallbox. Growing up in Sydney it was I recall the only wallbox around-boy Seeburg must have produced 10s of thousands. I was interested to read last week that where, in a diner (our name is café), multiple patrons selected the one hit in line it only played once but the owner received multiple coins-that's interesting given that of the 100 selections 'pareto theory' reined ie 20% of the hits makes for 100% of the plays!!

here is the service manual... i find it amusing that almost half of it is taken up by the slug rejector...

http://www.kjq.us.com/images/3w1.pdf

i have to dig through a box or two to find the troubleshooting guide, i dunno if that is available online or not... but that isn't really needed... if you can fix an em pinball, you can fix one of these... the troubleshooting procedure is the same...

#45 9 years ago
    Quoted from wayner:

Ah that puts into perspective what I thought was quite a high price on the following ebay listing:
    ebay.com link » Jukebox Speakers And Wallbox Seeburg

yup... they ain't cheap...

#46 9 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

$240 a pop... ouch...

ebay.com link: Teardrop Speaker New Reproduction Teardrop Speaker

#47 9 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

I have the complete "Soul Hits of the 70's: Didn't It Blow Your Mind!". Great EM music.

#48 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

$240 a pop... ouch...

Looks cheaper than the originals?

You just have to look at something like this as art you use. I have a friend that paid $1100 for some fancy speaker that hangs from the ceiling. I was blown away but it is a functional thing of beauty.

#49 9 years ago

My votes:

September - The O' Jays
    Theme from Rocky (I)
    Eye of the Tiger
    I'll Take You There - The Hues Corporation

#50 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

» YouTube video

That's so crazy!!! This song more than any other reminds me of an arcade I used to go to when this song was a hit.
    My buddy Vic Camp has it in his jukebox, and when he plays it, it immediately brings me back!!! That, and also the song "Fly, Robin Fly" by Silver Convention.

There are 478 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/music-of-the-late-em-era and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.